Why The 49ers Wont Draft Stafford

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,151562

Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:04 pm EDT

49ers don't want Stafford because he won't open up to shrink

By Chris Chase

There are a number of reasons an NFL team wouldn't draft a certain quarterback. Maybe they'd be concerned about his arm strength, or footwork, or accuracy, or football IQ. There are literally dozens of flaws a signal caller might have. The San Francisco 49ers have found a new one.

Reports say that Mike Singletary and the Niners won't draft Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford because he was reluctant to talk to a team psychologist about his parent's divorce. Said Singletary:

"If you're going to look at drafting a guy in the first round, and you're going to pay him millions of dollars, and asking him about a divorce about his parents, if that's going to be an issue, uhhh, then you know what, maybe he doesn't belong here."

Let me get this straight: A 21-year old doesn't want to talk to some stranger about his parent's divorce? Inconceivable! Such a reaction surely portends NFL mediocrity!

Honestly, that's an utterly bizarre quote from Singletary. The 49ers have to do their due diligence in researching the backgrounds of draft picks, but what does not wanting to talk about a traumatic childhood event have to do with leading a football team?

The concern about psychology is especially strange coming from Singletary, who attempted to motivate his team last year by dropping his pants before giving a half-time speech. I'm pretty sure he got that idea from Freud.

He's got a point. One of the main components of a successful QB is his internal makeup. If you are going to invest millions of dollars and the fate of a franchise, then you'd be wise to check out as much as you possibly can about that player. Now I'm not saying that Singletary is a smooth operator, because he definitely isn't, he is very rough around the edges, and has said and done many things that are very unorthodox, but he does have a point.

He's got a point. One of the main components of a successful QB is his internal makeup. If you are going to invest millions of dollars and the fate of a franchise, then you'd be wise to check out as much as you possibly can about that player. Now I'm not saying that Singletary is a smooth operator, because he definitely isn't, he is very rough around the edges, and has said and done many things that are very unorthodox, but he does have a point.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Stuff him because he won't talk about his parents divorce? I fail to see what that's got to do with playing football! :rolleyes:

Actually this was previously reported. What was left out of the article is how defensive Stafford became and how he treated the psycologist...he yelled and asked how much they were paid and basically showed very little maturity. He doesn't have to talk about it if he doesn't want to, thats his business, but he went about it the wrong way. Some compared his attitude to Jay Cutler. He might end up being a great QB, we shall see.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Stuff him because he won't talk about his parents divorce? I fail to see what that's got to do with playing football! :rolleyes:

Probaby trying to figure how the kid deals with and handles adversity.

you may be right Deadstroke, it may not have much to do with football, but I don't see an issue with a professional team, that is looking to make an enormous investment, not just monetarily but in the direction of the organization's success, in evaluating a player's psychological makeup. I believe that you have to be mentally tough to be the leader of a football team, which many time's a team's QB is asked to do.

Was Singletary out of line by making such a brash comment? probably.

Was his analysis wrong? Maybe not.

In my view, it is telling, and it would raise a red flag. That's just my opinion.

The real answer to the Why the 49ers won't draft Stafford is because he will be long gone before the 49ers pick. How about this for Stafford's reaction: Some shrink representing a team that has no shot of drafting me is asking me some pretty personal questions. Now if he was the Lions or Rams shrink, I might be more inclined to put up with this s**t, but the niners, give me a break.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,151562

Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:04 pm EDT

49ers don't want Stafford because he won't open up to shrink

By Chris Chase

There are a number of reasons an NFL team wouldn't draft a certain quarterback. Maybe they'd be concerned about his arm strength, or footwork, or accuracy, or football IQ. There are literally dozens of flaws a signal caller might have. The San Francisco 49ers have found a new one.

Reports say that Mike Singletary and the Niners won't draft Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford because he was reluctant to talk to a team psychologist about his parent's divorce. Said Singletary:

"If you're going to look at drafting a guy in the first round, and you're going to pay him millions of dollars, and asking him about a divorce about his parents, if that's going to be an issue, uhhh, then you know what, maybe he doesn't belong here."

Let me get this straight: A 21-year old doesn't want to talk to some stranger about his parent's divorce? Inconceivable! Such a reaction surely portends NFL mediocrity!

Honestly, that's an utterly bizarre quote from Singletary. The 49ers have to do their due diligence in researching the backgrounds of draft picks, but what does not wanting to talk about a traumatic childhood event have to do with leading a football team?

The concern about psychology is especially strange coming from Singletary, who attempted to motivate his team last year by dropping his pants before giving a half-time speech. I'm pretty sure he got that idea from Freud.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It's absolutely NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. It has nothing to do with his performance on the field. I thought Singletary had it together until this. Wow.

Putting aside, for a moment, the question of whether this information is any of the 49ers business, or relevant to Stafford's ability to play football in the NFL...

What in hell is Singletary doing divulging the psychological evaluation results to anyone, let alone the general public? Wow, as Cartman would say, "that is wrong! WRONG!"

Putting aside, for a moment, the question of whether this information is any of the 49ers business, or relevant to Stafford's ability to play football in the NFL...

What in hell is Singletary doing divulging the psychological evaluation results to anyone, let alone the general public? Wow, as Cartman would say, "that is wrong! WRONG!"

Singletary had better hope Stafford doesn't go Scott Tenorman on his ass.