The Bills are done in FA

Fingon

No way rookies cost $10 million in cap space. If you look at the traditional "rookie pool cap," even the teams with the #1 overall pick usually have a 5-6 million limit. No way we spend more than about $4 mil cap space on rookies.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If what you are sayng is correct, what a big disappointment this Bills are again. They signed all unknowns, mostly career backups and one malcontent aging star, who has as much of a chance of ripping the team apart as he does helping it. I hope it isn't true, but if it is, it only furthers the fact that we are the laughing stock of the NFL.

Teams are not built thru FA's, they are built thru the draft...

I call BS.

I kind of agree. I think Kirwan rounded up and then exaggerated. 5 or 6 million in cap room really could go a long way if you wanted it to...especially with all of the cash to cap room the Bills have left.

The Bills have a few ways to increase their cap figure. NFL teams use what are called "Not Likely to be Earned Incentives" to increase their cap figures on an annual basis. These incentives are built into contracts and count against the salary cap for a given year but if they're not earned in a given year, the total of the bonus is added to the salary cap next season. I'll use Spencer Johnson as an example. If Johnson was to earn an extra $1.5 million last season if he picked up ten sacks, that $1.5 million counted against the 2008 salary cap. Since Johnson obviously did not pick up ten sacks that $1.5 million would then be added to the $123 million figure this year. That "increases" Buffalo's actual salary cap figure.

Earlier this year Buffalo's NLTBE Incentives were projected roughly at $10 million. That increases Buffalo's actual cap figure to $133 million, and their actual spending money to $34 million. Don't worry, we got plenty to spend. I hope Clumpy addresses this and verifies what I'm saying.

Let me put it another way. Do you REALLY think that Buffalo has overspent with the salary cap??!!!

I call BS.

That's what I thought at first too. Buffalo came into the offseason seventh(?) (http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp, http://moondogsports.com/2009/02/27/2009-n...ary-cap-status/) in the league in cap space behind Tampa. Owens is a $6.5M hit, Dockery being cut was a $5.4M hit, Hangartner will be less than $4M, Fitzpatrick is what, $2M? That's $16M, we came in $27M under the cap, so that's $10M-11M under the cap. At the #11 pick we won't have to spend a fortune on rookies, so we can still bring in a LG and/or OLB, but yeah, it is getting a little tight.

That's what I thought at first too. Buffalo came into the offseason seventh(?) (http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp, http://moondogsports.com/2009/02/27/2009-n...ary-cap-status/) in the league in cap space behind Tampa. Owens is a $6.5M hit, Dockery being cut was a $5.4M hit, Hangartner will be less than $4M, Fitzpatrick is what, $2M? That's $16M, we came in $27M under the cap, so that's $10M-11M under the cap. At the #11 pick we won't have to spend a fortune on rookies, so we can still bring in a LG and/or OLB, but yeah, it is getting a little tight.

Dockery isn't a 5.4 hit...he counted something like 6 million against the cap and cutting him was a 5.4 penalty...so the savings were only a half a million or so. That's a difference of 5 mil in your math.

An interesting article from PFW that I remember reading a few weeks ago: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/A...WHI/default.htm

While the nationwide recession has affected all 32 teams, the Bills have the added handicap of having been cash-strapped even before the economy went south. There’s a pervasive feeling throughout the league that there will be fewer big-buck, blockbuster deals in the upcoming free-agency period than we’re accustomed to seeing, and Buffalo could find it particularly difficult to execute its desired fortifications.

At least some of that reality can be traced to decisions of prior years that have since backfired. Take the offensive line, for example. For a club that historically has been loath to dish out top dollar to outside veteran free agents, the Bills’ heavy investments in OLG Derrick Dockery ($49 million) and ORT Langston Walker ($25 million) in the ’07 offseason stood as bold deviations from their previously established mantra. Yet neither has approached his contract value, and the team’s long-term financial commitment to them hampers their maneuverability going forward.

A similar situation exists on the defensive line, where DEs Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay are the owners of contracts worth a combined $74 million, with Kelsay’s running through the 2010 season and Schobel’s not expiring until 2013. Kelsay’s impact since inking his deal in ’07 has been nothing more than solid, whereas the most telling conclusion about Schobel’s contribution can be found in unheralded backup Ryan Denney’s superior play when he replaced Schobel in the lineup for a stubborn foot injury that cost Schobel the second half of last season.

the poster is incorrect on what kirwin said he said we are 10 million under the cap and i said thats barely enough to sign peters and our rookies.

when we started free agency we were 27 million under the cap

TO=6.8

hangartner =3.3

fitz=3.3

florance = 2.5

thomas=?

then we signed our restricted free agents

do the math kirwin is right on the money.

According to the contracts.....LINK

TO=6.5

Hangartner=1.9

Fitz=1.8

Florence=(6.6 over 2 years), say 3.3

Thomas=bugger all.....1.5 tops

After the Dockery cutting(which saved $400K in cap) we had over $25mil.

Doing the math.....those signings would be around $15mil

This does indeed leave us with $10mil under the cap.

It's looking doubtful that we will be getting more than one more mid level FA in unless certain contracts are re-structured.

BTW.....according to Clumpy's page.....cutting Kelsay would only gain us $3.6mil.

Uggg......and all this without paying $$$$ to the QB position. :rolleyes:

If what you are sayng is correct, what a big disappointment this Bills are again. They signed all unknowns, mostly career backups and one malcontent aging star, who has as much of a chance of ripping the team apart as he does helping it. I hope it isn't true, but if it is, it only furthers the fact that we are the laughing stock of the NFL.

Agreed.

This team has not made itself any better at all through FA and I don't expect a good draft, but hey let's all go buy season tickets and don't forget your T.O. jerseys faithful fans!!

7-9 again.