If Lynch is Suspended for 4 games, what now?

The FO has failed to sign a running back for depth if Lynch gets the hook for 4 games. Our depth without him is suspect, in fact I am not sure that if Fred Jackson carries the whole load for 4 games (I am not sure he can even do that), that he won't wear down later in the season, he isn't that big of a guy. Not sure I would rely on Oman yet. It will be hard to convince a quality veteran RB to come here knowing that he is mostly a stopgap while Lynch is out. If our schedule starts out against teams that the games could go either way (i.e. Miami, Jets, etc.), the RB position could costs us some games early in the season and ultimately a shot at the playoffs.

The FO has failed to sign a running back for depth if Lynch gets the hook for 4 games. Our depth without him is suspect, in fact I am not sure that if Fred Jackson carries the whole load for 4 games (I am not sure he can even do that), that he won't wear down later in the season, he isn't that big of a guy. Not sure I would rely on Oman yet. It will be hard to convince a quality veteran RB to come here knowing that he is mostly a stopgap while Lynch is out. If our schedule starts out against teams that the games could go either way (i.e. Miami, Jets, etc.), the RB position could costs us some games early in the season and ultimately a shot at the playoffs.

The "experts" are predicting a 1 or 2-game suspension at most.

what do you mean now what? we got a good, more than capable running back in Freddy Jackson, and hope that Omon can be good capable backup to him.

Also, as you know, it most likely is going to be 1-2 games.

Maybe the Bills start 1-5 then go on a tear and win 9 out of last 10? Just kidding. There is no solution if Lynch gets suspended for the first 4 games. You can't find a good rb for 4 games. so you lean on Fred. It is the begining of the season so he should have fresh legs. Then once Marshawn comes back, you work him in. Fred gets to rest some middle of the season and he is ready for playoff push. Lets just pray Freddy doesn't get injuried in preseason the The Bills would really be FUBARD.

Can a player practice with the team while he is serving his suspension? Just wondering so Lynch is not to out of shape once he does come back. We all saw what Peters looked like last year after missing a month of preseason.

I think a 1-2 game suspension will barely hurt us. Jackson is more than capable of handling the load for a short time. Also, with Lynch's bruising running style, perhaps a game or two less wouldn't be the worst thing for his long-term health. We're gonna need him in February... :lol:

You question doesn't make sense. IF Lynch gets 4 games, you ask "what now?" NOW he is not suspended ANY games. You might as well ask "what if Lynch gets hit by a bus?"

I know it's off-season and there is little to post about but these attempt at panic generation are tiresome. What will we do? We'll deal with it, okay?

PTR

Maybe the Bills start 1-5 then go on a tear and win 9 out of last 10? Just kidding. There is no solution if Lynch gets suspended for the first 4 games. You can't find a good rb for 4 games. so you lean on Fred. It is the begining of the season so he should have fresh legs. Then once Marshawn comes back, you work him in. Fred gets to rest some middle of the season and he is ready for playoff push. Lets just pray Freddy doesn't get injuried in preseason the The Bills would really be FUBARD.

Can a player practice with the team while he is serving his suspension? Just wondering so Lynch is not to out of shape once he does come back. We all saw what Peters looked like last year after missing a month of preseason.

I believe, but don't quote me, even if he is given his suspension, he can practice with the Bills up until the suspension starts, then he has to stay away until the suspension begins. So he can participate fully in Camp, then has to be on his own until the day after his suspension ends.

You question doesn't make sense. IF Lynch gets 4 games, you ask "what now?" NOW he is not suspended ANY games. You might as well ask "what if Lynch gets hit by a bus?"

I know it's off-season and there is little to post about but these attempt at panic generation are tiresome. What will we do? We'll deal with it, okay?

PTR

Who is in a panic mode? I'm not, it was just a question. It is posts like yours that don't make sense. If you can't say something that makes sense, why posts just so people know you are there?

No but we still have one, like most teams in the NFL, and we have a backup in Omon. All is well with the RB situation (for now, assuming Lynch stays out of trouble :lol: )

And who will run it in from the goal line, obviously not Fred Jackson unless he has put on about 20 pounds of muscle from last year. He tried more than a few times to punch it in and didn't have the push to get it in the endzone last year. Another person looking through rose colored glasses. So we will be fine is we start out 0-2? Don't kid yourself. We aren't that dominating just because we signed T.O., actually about as far from dominating as you can get.

From what we've all been hearing it's going to be 2 games at most... I think we're fine at Rb for those two games. Jackson's more than capable of carrying a full load of 20+ carries and Omon can take a few to change the pace.

That is what the media says, only one man can answer how many games it is going to be, and he hasn't said anything yet. Commissioner Goodell is tired of these thug athletes and is big on sending a message via punishment. I hope he doesn't get more than 1 or 2 games, but don't be surprised if it is 4. A gun charge is a very serious matter.

And who will run it in from the goal line, obviously not Fred Jackson unless he has put on about 20 pounds of muscle from last year. He tried more than a few times to punch it in and didn't have the push to get it in the endzone last year. Another person looking through rose colored glasses. So we will be fine is we start out 0-2? Don't kid yourself. We aren't that dominating just because we signed T.O., actually about as far from dominating as you can get.

First of all, Jackson is a capable goal line rusher (don't forget he weighs like 215 lbs or something and is extremely elusive) and we still have Omon who can p8nch it in in short yardage situations. I don't think the loss of Lynch for two games automatically means 2 losses. Stop looking through the world with sh*t colored glasses. And as far as TO goes, who the f**k is talking about TO? I thought we were talking about the running game. But, since you mentioned it, having both TO, Lee and maybe Pettigrew ( :lol: ) or another pass catching TE, will definitely open up our running game. And who's talking about being "dominating"? ;) I'm just saying we should be fine at RB

I think a 1-2 game suspension will barely hurt us. Jackson is more than capable of handling the load for a short time. Also, with Lynch's bruising running style, perhaps a game or two less wouldn't be the worst thing for his long-term health. We're gonna need him in February... :sick:

I love the optimism.

First of all, Jackson is a capable goal line rusher (don't forget he weighs like 215 lbs or something and is extremely elusive) and we still have Omon who can p8nch it in in short yardage situations. I don't think the loss of Lynch for two games automatically means 2 losses. Stop looking through the world with sh*t colored glasses. And as far as TO goes, who the f**k is talking about TO? I thought we were talking about the running game. But, since you mentioned it, having both TO, Lee and maybe Pettigrew ( :lol: ) or another pass catching TE, will definitely open up our running game. And who's talking about being "dominating"? ;) I'm just saying we should be fine at RB

Although I love the guy, Jackson is hardly "extremely elusive." And why does everyone think Xavier Omon is capable to play in the NFL? In two games he had six carries for five yards, with a long rush of two. I'd settle down on that train and bring in an old hobbled veteran (i.e. Shaun Alexander or DeShaun Foster) to carry the ball five times/game and spell Jackson for the 1-2 games Lynch is suspended.

For the record, I'm rooting for Omon in a big way (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3387460), but a cheap insurance policy is the responsible way to go about things. Plus, competition is one of those rising tides that lifts all boats kind of thing.

I'd settle down on that train and bring in an old hobbled veteran (i.e. Shaun Alexander or DeShaun Foster) to carry the ball five times/game and spell Jackson for the 1-2 games Lynch is suspended.

I don't think either of those guys would accept a deal worthy of being called a "cheap insurance option"

I don't think either of those guys would accept a deal worthy of being called a "cheap insurance option"

I dunno. I don't think anyone wants Shaun Alexander. Maybe for good reason, though. The Patriots are currently platooning Maroney, Morris, and Fred Taylor, so I don't think a veteran on the cheap is out of the question.

First, there will probably be a veteran without a team at all on the eve of the season that right now isn't willing to sign or is even on the roster of another team. I am not at all worried about finding a stopgap guy for 1-2 games.

But a team doesn't HAVE to platoon their running backs. You don't need two because you need two in a game unless the starter gets hurt. That's the worry here, only if Freddy gets hurt in pre-season or in the first couple games when ML is out. The last time Marshawn was out, Freddy played the entire game and ran for about 176 yards. No one is going to wear down late in the season because they played two full games in early September.

Bringing in TO also helps the problem, because we now have 3-5 receivers we can count on. It would be relatively easy, in September, to be a short passing game team that used the pass to set up the run. If we get a decent TE that helps us even more in that respect. You wouldn't wear down the RB because he would only be running 15-20 times.

IIRC, the player can't have any contact with the team, at all, during his suspension. That means staying away from the stadium completely.

IIRC, the player can't have any contact with the team, at all, during his suspension. That means staying away from the stadium completely.

When would ML's suspension actually start then? Assuming he gets a 2 game suspension, would that mean he would still be able to join team at camp, preseason workouts, games, etc? I'm assuming it would start when the regular season starts...

When would ML's suspension actually start then? Assuming he gets a 2 game suspension, would that mean he would still be able to join team at camp, preseason workouts, games, etc? I'm assuming it would start when the regular season starts...

Correct. Remember the year Hargrove missed the first four games? That suspension was handed down on August 11, but didn't begin until the week of the first regular-season game.

As an aside, a 1-2 game ML suspension might not be a bad thing-- less wear and tear for a guy that takes a lot of hits.

I like Jackson as the starter and a vet pick-up as a stop-gap (preferably one that can play special teams).

I'm not sold on Oman (esp. since he doesn't play ST, if I recall), which is why I hope the Bills draft a RB late in the draft to compete with him.

You sir, are an idiot.

Thanks. Very good point. :lol:

First, there will probably be a veteran without a team at all on the eve of the season that right now isn't willing to sign or is even on the roster of another team. I am not at all worried about finding a stopgap guy for 1-2 games.

But a team doesn't HAVE to platoon their running backs. You don't need two because you need two in a game unless the starter gets hurt. That's the worry here, only if Freddy gets hurt in pre-season or in the first couple games when ML is out. The last time Marshawn was out, Freddy played the entire game and ran for about 176 yards. No one is going to wear down late in the season because they played two full games in early September.

Bringing in TO also helps the problem, because we now have 3-5 receivers we can count on. It would be relatively easy, in September, to be a short passing game team that used the pass to set up the run. If we get a decent TE that helps us even more in that respect. You wouldn't wear down the RB because he would only be running 15-20 times.

Those are good points. I just like having depth since we don't seem to have it. Freddy J. played like a man possessed against New England, but if he gets hurt who spells Marshawn? Or if Marshawn gets suspended for four (I know $$ has it at 1-2 now) who spells Freddy? It just seems that people have a lot of faith in Omon when I'm not sure that it's warranted just yet. And hey, if a cheap veteran is available (Duce Staley actually comes to mind now) then it might not hurt to bring him in.

I am not so much worried about spelling Jackson. It will be the begining of the season. He should have fairly fresh legs. Bills will know what kind of suspension Lynch has way before preseason. So they will know not to run Freddy to much in preseason games. I am more worried about Lynch getting ready for r/t action. Practice and even preseason games dont simulate a reg season game. If it was to be four games that is a big curve to be behind the rest of the guys on the field. In then end we are worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. If it turns out to be 1-2 games then its not really an issue at all. And you could always pick up a vet running back for preseason/ first part of reg season to be your number 2 after the draft. Then moves to three when lynch returns

I think a 1-2 game suspension will barely hurt us. Jackson is more than capable of handling the load for a short time. Also, with Lynch's bruising running style, perhaps a game or two less wouldn't be the worst thing for his long-term health. We're gonna need him in February... :lol:

Need him in February? Are the Bills playing in a charity basketball game or something?

Maybe they want Marshawn to help the front office look for a new coach then?

First of all, Jackson is a capable goal line rusher (don't forget he weighs like 215 lbs or something and is extremely elusive) and we still have Omon who can p8nch it in in short yardage situations. I don't think the loss of Lynch for two games automatically means 2 losses. Stop looking through the world with sh*t colored glasses. And as far as TO goes, who the f**k is talking about TO? I thought we were talking about the running game. But, since you mentioned it, having both TO, Lee and maybe Pettigrew ( B-) ) or another pass catching TE, will definitely open up our running game. And who's talking about being "dominating"? :P I'm just saying we should be fine at RB

What gives you the idea Jackson is a capable goal line rusher? Every time they tried to stuff it in from the 1 or 2 with him last season he was stopped or tackled for a loss. And, no he isn't that elusive, he is more of a straight on runner. If I have Sh*t colored glasses, I apologize we must have gotten our specs mixed up, you can have them back.

What gives you the idea Jackson is a capable goal line rusher? Every time they tried to stuff it in from the 1 or 2 with him last season he was stopped or tackled for a loss. And, no he isn't that elusive, he is more of a straight on runner. If I have Sh*t colored glasses, I apologize we must have gotten our specs mixed up, you can have them back.

Well, technically not every time. He did score against the Broncos from inside the 5.