TBN: Bills / Peters ~$3 M apart - Peters wants over $11.5 M

SKOOBY

Whats even crazier is that the Bills are offering $8.5 Million a year. That is ridiculous!!

Some people on this board were thinking that he was demanding $13.5 Million a year.

$11.5 Million a year is a reasonable asking price from Peters. That makes his offer slightly higher than Jake Long's, who is not as accomplished.

I would imagine if they offered a deal of around $10 Million a year and add incentives to where he could receive another $1 Million they could hammer out a deal.

Actually Long and Peters are just as accomplished: both only have had 1 good season.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NO WAY!!! PLEASE BUFFALO FOOTBALL GODS... DO NOT PAY THIS GUY THAT KIND OF MONEY!!

Even at 9 million per.. that is completely ridiculous.

I think if you offered him 9 million with incentives to make over 11.5 million, maybe that could work for both sides.

Leave the offer on the table until a certain date (draft day or May 1st). If he takes it great. If not, let him play out his contract. Oh and by the way, if he plays out his contract he loses about $4+million per year. His career could go either way. He thinks he's good. The Bills think he's good. But his play was only above average last year.

Take the money & run.

---- Steve Miller

they gave Evans that., and Peters plays a position that is more important. do you guys want to win, or not? see.. this is the problem with the Bills, WNY and all that,, its a second tier little town that has no concept of what major league sports are today... if you wan't to play you have to pay... that having been said,.. lets trade him..if we can get a 1st rounder+

Absolute garbage. Not the importance of the position part, but the "do you guys want to win, or not?." what do the specifics of the negotiations of Peter's contract have to do with ultimate win/loss record? there's no way of assuring anyone that Peter's signing results in more wins, that he'll play in all 16 (and God forbid, more) games, that he won't sit out next year or the year after for $15.5 million because Moley Russelswart comes out of college and gets more in the draft etc.

If you always use a sliding scale, many guys are never going to be happy.

We don't know if there are incentives to build his contract to a more palatable number that he doesn't like (Show up and play at trainig camp, pro-bowl, etc), and since it's a negotiation, what his bottom floor might really be, or what the Bill's top floor might be.

I'd really like to see them win, certainly as much or more than anyone on the board, but you can't deal in extremes in situations like this. It'd be great to have him back and playing well from game one, I'd love to see him earn every dollar he makes. I'd love him to be happy playing, but he held out last year, nothing to suggest he won't do it again. maybe the question should be whether JP wants to win?

they gave Evans that., and Peters plays a position that is more important. do you guys want to win, or not? see.. this is the problem with the Bills, WNY and all that,, its a second tier little town that has no concept of what major league sports are today... if you wan't to play you have to pay... that having been said,.. lets trade him..if we can get a 1st rounder+

Is the answer just bend over and pay everyone? Did you pay any attention to how Peters played last year? He sucked. His pro bowl vote was joke, like Ruben Brown was. The Bills would be crazy to pay him that much. All the people who predicted Edwards would get creamed if Peters didn't play...and it was usually Peters who whiffed when Edwards got hammered. Trade the fat !@#$.

PTR

Is the answer just bend over and pay everyone? Did you pay any attention to how Peters played last year? He sucked. His pro bowl vote was joke, like Ruben Brown was. The Bills would be crazy to pay him that much. All the people who predicted Edwards would get creamed if Peters didn't play...and it was usually Peters who whiffed when Edwards got hammered. Trade the fat !@#$.

PTR

BRAVO!! Great and honest post.

PTR

Ruben's pro bowls were not a joke. He was one of the best guards in football. Sure they could have chosen one or two of his peers over him in 1 or 2 of the years, but he was still among the absolute best at his position. Once he was run out of town we all got to see the drop-off 1st hand.

To think Peters made either pro-bowl on his personality, popularity, or whatever is truly laughable. He was HATED here by most casual fans, and then all you have left is the players and coaches vote, and they know how good he is.

Ruben's pro bowls were not a joke. He was one of the best guards in football. Sure they could have chosen one or two of his peers over him in 1 or 2 of the years, but he was still among the absolute best at his position. Once he was run out of town we all got to see the drop-off 1st hand.

To think Peters made either pro-bowl on his personality, popularity, or whatever is truly laughable. He was HATED here by most casual fans, and then all you have left is the players and coaches vote, and they know how good he is.

Please Reuben "Turnstile" Brown's last few Pro Bowls WERE a joke. Hence turnstile. He couldn't protect his own arss.

Am I wrong in thinking that 3M apart/year is not such a big deal? If...big IF other issues have been taken care of then 3M will work itself out. I don't see a story here.

That was my immediate reaction as well. Actually, I saw this as a good sign because it tells me that the Bills are NOT trying to low ball him. Based on the parameters in Gaughan's article, it sounds like Peters wants more than $12 M. That means that the Bills are offering at least $9M. You would have to think that the two sides could come together on something in the $10M or $11M range.

People keep on saying that he has "character issues" or that he is not a "team guy."

Where in the world do you get that from?!? The guys on the team love him. The only thing he did was use the only leverage he had to try to re-work his deal. He did not rip the team like Boldin has done with the Cards or other players have done with their teams when they wanted to re-work deals.

I have said this before -- if you have any doubt about Jason Peter's worth to this team, watch the Giants game from 2007 and compare how the Bills protected the QB before he got hurt and after he got hurt. The whole game turned on us at that moment in time.

Okay. Let me spell this out one more time.

Peters' first contract was for an undrafted free agent.

He became our starter at right tackle. We then restructured him to a new contract.

After he signed the new contract we then moved him to left tackle where he made the Pro Bowl.

He then held out and wanted more money.

He's entering the 4th year of a 5 year $15 million contract. He's made less money in the last three years than Jake Long made last year.

I really can't see how people view him as a malcontent for wanting more money. He's totally outperformed his contracts twice now. And people want to question his football desire. He's totally justified in wanting to be paid more, especially in light of the Schobel situation.

What am I missing here?

You aren't missing anything. Even the Bills acknowledge that the man deserves a richer contract. The key thing to me is that both sides are talking and the front office is doing its part by putting its best foot forward and proceeding with an extension. In exchange, Peters should at the very least be willing to show up for OTAs and training camp this year.

If 11 million is what Peters wants, every Bills fan named nodnarb should hope for a trade. I lost a lot of respect for Peters last year, and coming off an ordinary year, he has no real leverage to be the highest paid LT in the league. The Pro Bowl? Please.

There. Fixed that for you.

Personally, I prefer not being told what I should think based on your opinion.

You aren't missing anything. Even the Bills acknowledge that the man deserves a richer contract. The key thing to me is that both sides are talking and the front office is doing its part by putting its best foot forward and proceeding with an extension. In exchange, Peters should at the very least be willing to show up for OTAs and training camp this year.

I hope that the Bills don't even consider looking for a trade. Now of course, if a trade offer, that is too good to be true, is offered, then take it. But don't look to trade him.

The Bills FO has leverage on this deal. Offer him $10 Million with incentives that could make him the highest paid lineman. If he doesn't take it, then it will be his and our loss. We will get a player that may hold out and most likely not play as well as we would hope.

But most likely he will take the deal. Think about it.

We have the leverage. He can either take the deal, and instead of making $4Million a year he will make at least %150 more, or not take the deal and make the $4million.

He would be screwing himself by at least $13 Million over the next two years.

The Bills have the leverage!

As long as we don't actively shop him.

I have no idea how contract negotiations , terms of offered contract and counter proposals get into print. Be it by Bills management sorts leaking them or by player agents, but I wish rather than the process of vilification through media, Bills management would offer a player such as Peters a contract of fair value, if player thinks himself best at his position , offer him incentive bonuses which are attainable. They need find out quickly , is he sign able , if not rather than beat him down, it makes no sense in diminishing a asset, shake hands, with player , pump him up as great as possible and find the optimum trade value.

No sense to beat him down though...

People keep on saying that he has "character issues" or that he is not a "team guy."

Where in the world do you get that from?!? The guys on the team love him. The only thing he did was use the only leverage he had to try to re-work his deal. He did not rip the team like Boldin has done with the Cards or other players have done with their teams when they wanted to re-work deals.

I have said this before -- if you have any doubt about Jason Peter's worth to this team, watch the Giants game from 2007 and compare how the Bills protected the QB before he got hurt and after he got hurt. The whole game turned on us at that moment in time.

His problems concerning his character and attitude when he was in college were well known. That's one of the reasons he went undrafted,even though his raw talent was no secret. I guess you could say that's just hearsay or that people change,but to me his actions seem to show a pattern of behavior that directly affect the team.