I Know the Economy is Bad, But.....

Chef Jim

I wish the media with cut some slack. I was listening to a local radio progam up here in SF and they played a bit from the Today Show (or one of those lame morning shows) about a "tent city" in Sacramento. And the "reporter" was droning along on how bad thing were and all the homeless people along the river. She made it sound like Hooverville and I think she actually used the term. Well one of the radio hosts (don't know which one, I'm too new here to tell them apart) said he lived along that river ten years ago and said that tent city was there then too. Then a guy called in and said that the tent city was there at least 40 years ago when he was a kid and for all he knew it could of been there fifty, sixty years.

Main reason I mention this here is that Buffalo got a mention by the radio hosts. They said one of the reasons Sacramento has so many homeless is that it has great weather for northern CA. The host said that you don't hear about these tent cities in Buffalo "because everyone would die." B-)

I wish the media with cut some slack. I was listening to a local radio progam up here in SF and they played a bit from the Today Show (or one of those lame morning shows) about a "tent city" in Sacramento. And the "reporter" was droning along on how bad thing were and all the homeless people along the river. She made it sound like Hooverville and I think she actually used the term. Well one of the radio hosts (don't know which one, I'm too new here to tell them apart) said he lived along that river ten years ago and said that tent city was there then too. Then a guy called in and said that the tent city was there at least 40 years ago when he was a kid and for all he knew it could of been there fifty, sixty years.

Main reason I mention this here is that Buffalo got a mention by the radio hosts. They said one of the reasons Sacramento has so many homeless is that it has great weather for northern CA. The host said that you don't hear about these tent cities in Buffalo "because everyone would die." B-)

There is definately a "bandwagon" mentality among the media. Rather than reporting facts objectively they seem to want to come up with an idea and then hunt around for anecdotes to support it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the econimic situation is bad but to your point we are not about to write Grapes of Wrath II quite yet.

My question is...would the economy be nearly as bad without the media speculation looking at it like most TBDers look at Sunday afternoons (DOOOOOOOOOOMED)? Not saying that we wouldn't be in a recession, but how much have stocks dropped because the media is portraying so much negativity?

My question is...would the economy be nearly as bad without the media speculation looking at it like most TBDers look at Sunday afternoons (DOOOOOOOOOOMED)? Not saying that we wouldn't be in a recession, but how much have stocks dropped because the media is portraying so much negativity?

I'm really really dum, but...

What got us in this mess?

1. people living beyond their means

B. financial instututions willing to allow people to live beyond their means

What are they telling us will fix the problem?

C. people need to spend more money

4. banks need to start lending more money

I wish the media with cut some slack. I was listening to a local radio progam up here in SF and they played a bit from the Today Show (or one of those lame morning shows) about a "tent city" in Sacramento. And the "reporter" was droning along on how bad thing were and all the homeless people along the river. She made it sound like Hooverville and I think she actually used the term.

Yup...I heard that too. There was the obligatory "haven't seen this since the Great Depression" from some ignorant "reporter" who apparently was still in diapers in 1982.

This it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/29593435#29593435

The economy owes alot to the media who loves to run those kinds of stories:

CNBC goes on the air in the 90s.

Stock markets booming due to the DotCom bubble.

CNBC tells everyone how great the economy is. Day traders watching CNBC pump more money into the DotCom's

DotCom's start having trouble. CNBC reports the trouble.

DotCom's go TU

Housing market booms. CNBC tells everyone how great the economy is.

Housing bubble starts bursting. Housing bubble turns into credit crunch

Credit crunch leaves banks shaky. CNBC reports some banks are having problems

Investors pull out of those banks. Banks get even shakier

CNBC reports shaky bank may fail. Wall street panics

Shaky bank fails

Economy gets worse. CNBC tells us how bad things are. People are afraid

CNBC reports we're all afraid

President goes on TV to tell us how bad things are. People are afraid

CNBC reports how bad things are. Cycle continues

I wish the media with cut some slack. I was listening to a local radio progam up here in SF and they played a bit from the Today Show (or one of those lame morning shows) about a "tent city" in Sacramento.

Armstrong and Getty on 910.

I heard that today too. They are also simulcast on a TV station out of Santa Rosa.

The economy owes alot to the media who loves to run those kinds of stories:

CNBC goes on the air in the 90s.

Stock markets booming due to the DotCom bubble.

CNBC tells everyone how great the economy is. Day traders watching CNBC pump more money into the DotCom's

DotCom's start having trouble. CNBC reports the trouble.

DotCom's go TU

Housing market booms. CNBC tells everyone how great the economy is.

Housing bubble starts bursting. Housing bubble turns into credit crunch

Credit crunch leaves banks shaky. CNBC reports some banks are having problems

Investors pull out of those banks. Banks get even shakier

CNBC reports shaky bank may fail. Wall street panics

Shaky bank fails

Economy gets worse. CNBC tells us how bad things are. People are afraid

CNBC reports we're all afraid

President goes on TV to tell us how bad things are. People are afraid

CNBC reports how bad things are. Cycle continues

Lemmings, people are friggin lemmings with no sense. Sooooo, use the news to your advantage, buy low, sell high. It's easy.

Buying opportunity for the smart!