Jabari signs with Saints

Simon

It looks like you will get your wish this year Bill. The lines are too depleted to not spend some quality draft picks on them. I think DT is almost set, as Kyle Williams is an average starter/good backup... but DE will most likely be their focus.

If I was going to draft a DL in round 1, I would opt for Raji. DE is as weak as hell, but I think that a healthy Schobel would be helped by a DT combo of Raji/Stroud. I would love to see them sign Bertrand Berry as a stop gap sort of player; a modern day Jim Jeffcoat.

After this, Coffman falls to us in the 2nd round.

This is one of my dream scenarios. The other involves a trade down.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

F-bomb, I wonder how much of it was guaranteed. I watched a lot of Jag's game last year and I can tell you that Jabari was significantly better than Florence (who was awful, although granted the Jags did not have much of a pass rush). However 6 mil annual salary is quite a jump from Florence reported salary of 3.3 million

My thoughts exactly. Greer is a better corner than Florence, plus he knows the system, but we can't afford to pay him 6mil to be a nickel corner. McKelvin is being groomed to be the number two. I sure hope that we resign McGee though.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you. I'm not sure why you keep harping on Florence being this "talk of the league" as it doesn't really pertain to the arguments on the table all that much. I think the Bills are in good shape at corner, but Simon made some excellent points about the future of the team. I think the only thing that Simon misses is the fact that the McGee vs. Greer thing is debatable. But it doesn't matter because the choice was either letting Greer go, holding on to McGee for another season and hoping one of our other CBs strikes gold, or re-signing him for the future, waiting for McGee's contract to expire.

The way the Bills did it is fine. For this season. Our future isn't necessarily in doubt and the Bills have a lot of decent corners and I'm curious to see at the end of the year who we have playing well and how it will all workout. That said, McGee has been much of an injury riddled player, and has looked poor when playing off his man. I think this season he has the opportunity to really make a splash in his last with the team, or could prove to be more expendable than Greer. We shall see. One thing's for sure, as I said earlier, the Bills are prepared.

Murra, I never said that Florence was more valuable than Greer. As a matter of fact I said that Greer brings more value than Florence.

The whole point of the exercise with Florence, was to show that he is seen as a very good Nickelback DB. Nothing more. He has proven to not be a good starting DB.

Greer was expendable. I would of loved for us to have signed him, that was my hope. We made an offer, and from what I heard we made a couple maybe even several offers to keep him. In our defense that we use, the Tampa 2, this is a position where you don't chase after DB's with very high contracts. Specially our situation where we have good depth.

Now to me this makes perfectly good sense. To others it doesn't.

I'll be pissed if that's true. We should have kept him for that and let McGee walk next year.

Ive been saying the same thing. It made more sense to invest in Greer this year and let Mcgee , who is older, go next year, which may be an uncapped year.

OK, I feel much better now.

And Florence is a sh------- pick up as a nickel because he's too long and too loose to play in the slot so they have to kick him outside and move McKelvin inside which creates unnecessary confusion and predictability in the defense.

Horseshlt; statistics are as useless for corners as they are DT's. Greer has spent teh last 4 years stuck to people like a wet stamp and McGee is little better than a victim in short area coverage.

I don't like the move either, but McGee is a better player than you give him credit for. He's a quality NFL corner who is very strong on deeper routes (when healthy, of course). You have to have a player like that. While Braylon Edwards caught a lot of passes against the Bills this past season, McGee made his share of defenses. and there was a reason Quinn had a completion percentage below 40 percent.

Bills CB's since 06:

Clements-left in UFA 07

McGee-contract up after 09

Greer-left in UFA 09

Webster-UFA 07

McKelvin-1st round 08

K. Thomas-UFA 06, released before 08

Youboty-3rd round 06

Corner-4th round 07

W. James-UFA 08, released

Florence-UFA 09

Fox-Street FA 07

Bills safeties since 06

Leonhard-UDFA 05

Vincent-UFA 04; released early 06

Whitner-1st round 06

Simpson-4th round 06

Bowen-UFA 06

Scott-Street FA 07

Wilson-UDFA 05

Wendling-6th round 07

Cox-7th round 08; released

That's 20 guys who have or will line up at safety or cornerback for this franchise in 4 seasons. I can't imagine what it'd be like if that much attention went to the DL or OL.

The mismanagement of the secondary demonstrates a serious issue with personnel. I'm not surprised, given that the front office has remained relatively the same for many years.

I don't like the move either, but McGee is a better player than you give him credit for. He's a quality NFL corner who is very strong on deeper routes (when healthy, of course). You have to have a player like that. While Braylon Edwards caught a lot of passes against the Bills this past season, McGee made his share of defenses. and there was a reason Quinn had a completion percentage below 40 percent.

Me too... McGee is a better corner than Greer, plus he's a big time kick returner. He's the one we need to resign, even if it costs a little more.

I really like Greer as a player and person but he was the one that decided to leave....the Bills had offered him right around those numbers. I think these guys' agents see some of the deals and really think all of their clients are going to get 3 years 45M like in Oakland. Was it really worth leaving Buffalo for about 400-500k more a year.....if guys really want to stay they stay and negotiate those types of things in to make up the difference.

When did I say Greer was better than McGee. I flat out said, "McGee is our best all around corner." My God, man. Get a clue before you post.

The point is age. McGee might be better now, but there is no doubt his next contract will be for the downside of his career. Greer's is not.

It's a 2 year gap.

If I was going to draft a DL in round 1, I would opt for Raji. DE is as weak as hell, but I think that a healthy Schobel would be helped by a DT combo of Raji/Stroud. I would love to see them sign Bertrand Berry as a stop gap sort of player; a modern day Jim Jeffcoat.

After this, Coffman falls to us in the 2nd round.

This is one of my dream scenarios. The other involves a trade down.

I agree 100% on Raji. Unfortunately, he's not getting out of the top 10.

He was our number one priority to re-sign. Greer was our best cover guy and if he was a couple inches taller he would be a perennial probowler. I am still !@#$ing irate that we left Pat Williams go so don't even get me started. Every year we let our top free agents go and then sign dog sh-- to replace them. No wonder we have been mediocre at best since the Titans playoff game. Mediocre is a euphemism. I would say we sucked the past 10 years! Truth hurts

Most would agree with you on Pat Williams. I don't recall too many folks saying, "he wanted too much" or "good riddance". Most of us we quite pissed he left and mostly because of Donohoe's stupidity and ego.

Greer on the other hand had developed into an adequate CB, who because of his stature, was often taken advantage of by bigger receivers. We all like Greer, but Aneas Williams he's not....I wish him well.

Bills CB's since 06:

Clements-left in UFA 07

McGee-contract up after 09

Greer-left in UFA 09

Webster-UFA 07

McKelvin-1st round 08

K. Thomas-UFA 06, released before 08

Youboty-3rd round 06

Corner-4th round 07

W. James-UFA 08, released

Florence-UFA 09

Fox-Street FA 07

Bills safeties since 06

Leonhard-UDFA 05

Vincent-UFA 04; released early 06

Whitner-1st round 06

Simpson-4th round 06

Bowen-UFA 06

Scott-Street FA 07

Wilson-UDFA 05

Wendling-6th round 07

Cox-7th round 08; released

That's 20 guys who have or will line up at safety or cornerback for this franchise in 4 seasons. I can't imagine what it'd be like if that much attention went to the DL or OL.

The mismanagement of the secondary demonstrates a serious issue with personnel. I'm not surprised, given that the front office has remained relatively the same for many years.

Great point, maybe the best Ive read on this site ever!!! Just imagine if we focused this much on our D and O lines, we would be alot better. Cheers Bills Vet!!

Are there any guards worth taking high in the 1st?

no, but we better sign waters, he is very good and wont cost much, I hope we can get D line in first round, TE second round then build more on the D and O line the rest of the picks

Unfortunate truths:

1. He was easily the best corner on the team last year. Just because McGee is #1 on the madden 09 depth chart doesn't mean squat. I don't know how anyone can think otherwise if you watched the games...he played some of the best defense I've seen a corner play on this team in a long time.

He wasn't better than McGee... he was certainly good though.

2. He was not always "covering the other team's #2 receiver". The Bills defensive scheme (don't laugh) doesn't work that way. He lined up against the top receiver on the other team just as often as McGee.

McGee followed Moss all over the field and held him to a modest 53 yards and 5 catches. I watched the game and McGee was on Moss step for step. In the annual Monday Night Debacle in Buffalo, he covered Braylon Edwards the entire game and had 6 passes defended. Not a knock on Greer, he played great. But McGee was called upon more often for the tougher assignments and he played pretty well.

3. McGee will walk next year...no way they will be able to sign him for what Greer got from the Saints. McGee has the notoriety and is a good kick returner, while Greer is still a relative unknown (not for long though).

I'm assuming the Bills let Greer walk because they plan to get something with McGee done during the season. We'll see how it plays out. If they simply let McGee walk, then I'll agree with you, but how can you come to that conclusion now?

4. The Bills know all of this and have been preparing to lose Greer and McGee in consecutive years anyway. They are happy with McKelvin/Youboty/Florence/Corner. Guess it could work out...the top 2 are good players also.

They are not "happy" with Youboty.. part of the reason they signed Florence is because they have little faith in Youboty's ability to stay healthy.

5. God, I hate this f'ing team sometimes.

You and me both :wallbash:

Yeah, we replaced our best coverman with a nickel corner. And the fact that we even had to replace him is the problem. It would be nice if the Bills instead of moving laterally (or in this case backwards) actually kept their own players and made additions to the team.

I completely agree. Let's say this team had a general policy of holding onto its own best players for their useful careers. With that policy in place, we hold onto both McGee and Greer. With that policy in place, we don't use a first round pick on McKelvin in the 2008 draft. That first round pick could have gone toward building the team at some other position, instead of treading water at CB.

As things stand, there's a chance we'll lose McGee once the 2009 season is done, thereby "necessitating" the use of a first round pick for his replacement. If that happens, it would be an outright disaster for this franchise. You can't keep kissing your first round picks goodbye, on first contract and out positions (such as CB), and expect to build a solid core of first rate players.