Shaun Rogers

BeastMode54

per rotoworld

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that All-Pro NT Shaun Rogers has grown so "disenchanted" with the new Browns regime that he's asked the team to not exercise his $6 million March option bonus.

The Browns deny Rogers demanded his release, but failing to pick up the bonus would make him a free agent. It would also cause Cleveland a $9.8 million cap hit. Eric Mangini has reportedly reached out to Rogers in hopes of changing his mind. The coach did the same in New York with Laveranues Coles, but clearly the Mangini-Kokonis era has gotten off to a rotten start.

per rotoworld

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that All-Pro NT Shaun Rogers has grown so "disenchanted" with the new Browns regime that he's asked the team to not exercise his $6 million March option bonus.

The Browns deny Rogers demanded his release, but failing to pick up the bonus would make him a free agent. It would also cause Cleveland a $9.8 million cap hit. Eric Mangini has reportedly reached out to Rogers in hopes of changing his mind. The coach did the same in New York with Laveranues Coles, but clearly the Mangini-Kokonis era has gotten off to a rotten start.

Rogers is the definition of a 3-4 nose tackle .. does not fit Buffalo's 4-3

Man, I would love for that to happen! When we missed out on him and landed up with Stroud I went off on a tangent. I promptly retracted my rant and saw the value to Stroud after some kindly persuasion (*cough, cough) from other fellow posters. What a tandem in the middle of our defense this would be for us!

I never got that for tackles... I get it for ends in the 4-3 system, but if you can NT in a 3-4, shouldn't that only make you better in a DT position in a 4-3? Ignoring that whole dopey 'under-sized, penetrating DT' thing that the Cover 2 supposedly needs, seriously, can someone explain why a Wolfork or Hampton wouldn't be great in a 4-3?

Rogers is the definition of a 3-4 nose tackle .. does not fit Buffalo's 4-3

Im pretty sure last season was Rogers first year as a 3-4 nt and that his best years came as a 4-3 tackle with the Lions. Just because you're a big dude doesn't mean you're scheme limited to that a 3-4 nt. Guy had about 30 sacks in 7 seasons with Detroit. Anyone that's ever seen Shaun Rogers plays knows when motivated he's a great player in any scheme. Possibly the most impactful defensive tackle in the league bar none.

Im pretty sure last season was Rogers first year as a 3-4 nt and that his best years came as a 4-3 tackle with the Lions. Just because you're a big dude doesn't mean you're scheme limited to that a 3-4 nt. Guy had about 30 sacks in 7 seasons with Detroit. Anyone that's ever seen Shaun Rogers plays knows when motivated he's a great player in any scheme. Possibly the most impactful defensive tackle in the league bar none.

Keep your hopes up ... he is not leaving the Browns. While I hate the tampa suck .. he does not fit the Bills scheme.

Keep your hopes up ... he is not leaving the Browns. While I hate the tampa suck .. he does not fit the Bills scheme.

I have no hopes I'm just pointing out the guys best ball came as a 4-3 tackle. As far as not fitting the Bills scheme. Again I'm calling bull sh-- on this. The guy at his best is a very good pocket collapsing dt. As his last year in detroit would attest to. Rod Maranelli's cover 2 defense. Rogers ended up with 10 sacks in his last 2 years in Detroit. 7 in his last year there. Seemed to fit the system just fine there. As far as any inkling of getting Rogers. I don't expect that at all. Doesn't make defensive lineman across the board any less of a need.

per rotoworld

The Bills need players that not only produce but will be a long-term answer in order for Buffalo to be a good organization again. Yes, Rogers makes sense if the Bills are in the mix for a championship, but it makes no sense to sign a player that has been with two teams the last two years, plays exceptionally well but only when he's motivated, gets paid a lot of money, and every time there is a little trouble or frustration he wants out of the situation. That's what you get with Rogers. Since the Bills aren't near a championship, pass on him. He isn't worth it.

Sure, he has put up big stats, but big stats don't always translate to wins. Just look at who he's played for and the team results. Remember, Carson Palmer puts up big numbers. So did Larry Johnson a few times in his career. Rogers is the same type of player: put up big numbers, talented player, but he's not a leader or a winner.

The Bills need winners as well to change their culture.

I never got that for tackles... I get it for ends in the 4-3 system, but if you can NT in a 3-4, shouldn't that only make you better in a DT position in a 4-3? Ignoring that whole dopey 'under-sized, penetrating DT' thing that the Cover 2 supposedly needs, seriously, can someone explain why a Wolfork or Hampton wouldn't be great in a 4-3?

You're right. A great NT in a 3-4 can still be great in a 4-3. It all depends on the scheme. Some 4-3 schemes use a NT lined up over the C. It all depends on what your asking that DT to do,push the C back into the pocket and eat up double teams or shoot gaps.

no way this guy gets released - the cap hit would be too big after only one year in cleveland

as to the point that rogers was the bills first choice over stroud, that isn't exactly true:

"The Buffalo Bills, another team that had shown strong interest in Rogers, decided to go in another direction and were trying to work a trade for Jacksonville's Marcus Stroud, which they eventually did."

http://blog.mlive.com/state_sports/2008/03...ions_assis.html

Rogers was a malcontent in Detroit. Rogers is becoming a malcontent in Cleveland

What makes you guys think he'll be any different in Buffalo?

Because he will be playing for the "Dick"!

According to another thread, all players want to play for the "Dick". The "Dick's" ability to attract free agents cannot be ignored.

Rogers will come and will immediately be motivated by the "Dick" way, Shaun will toe the line, and will run through walls for our beloved HC.

Because he will be playing for the "Dick"!

According to another thread, all players want to play for the "Dick". The "Dick's" ability to attract free agents cannot be ignored.

Rogers will come and will immediately be motivated by the "Dick" way, Shaun will toe the line, and will run through walls for our beloved HC.

He played his ass off for Jauron when they were both in Detroit. Had one of his best years actually.

GO BILLS!!!

They won't release him because of the cap number. Would this be another guy that you all would want to give Marshawn for in a straight up trade? I would consider it. Other than that, if a DT is going to be high on our priority list then I would see what we could possibly do to get one of two guys from the Browns. Shaun Rogers or Corey Williams. Williams had an excellent couple of seasons with the Packers a couple of years ago and I think he fits better as a DT as opposed to a DE in a 3-4 scheme. He could possibly be on the move as well.

With all this talk about signing Rogers, Jason Brown, Owen Daniels and Albert Haynesworth, us Bills fans are either very optimistic or we're just plain delusional. I think I'll go with the latter.

This song should be Bills fans anthem.

With all this talk about signing Rogers, Jason Brown, Owen Daniels and Albert Haynesworth, us Bills fans are either very optimistic or we're just plain delusional. I think I'll go with the latter.

This song should be Bills fans anthem.

It's called hopeful....

I dont' think anyone realistically believes that we will get all those players. But there is a possibility that we may get one of them and that's why the threads have been created.

It is a football board regarding the Buffalo Bills. What would you rather have us talk about in the offseason?

and if your not hopeful then what are you doing here posting anything in February?

Rogers was a malcontent in Detroit. Rogers is becoming a malcontent in Cleveland

What makes you guys think he'll be any different in Buffalo?

Depends on his reasons. In Detroit, they were guided by utter ineptitude and as such, posted the first-ever 0-16 season. With the Browns, it could be that he doesn't want to play NT in a 3-4 and face constant double and triple teams. Or maybe it's something else?

Then again, the Bills all but had him last year, and at the last second he demanded a huge new contract. So let him rot in Cleveland.

They won't release him because of the cap number. Would this be another guy that you all would want to give Marshawn for in a straight up trade? I would consider it......

His cap hit for the Browns will be a little over $4mil(If I'm reading things correctly).

BTW, they would incur the same cap hit whether they cut him or traded him......the SB money does not transfer to the new team in a trade.

One less athletic LB to rush the QB means you need more pressure from the front 4, is you are fatand slow, its hard to chase down a QB.

I am with you on that one. If the dude is a slobbering maniac who steamrolls blockers over the QB why can't he be effective with another slobbering maniac next to him?

It makes no sense to me.

The Bills need players that not only produce but will be a long-term answer in order for Buffalo to be a good organization again. Yes, Rogers makes sense if the Bills are in the mix for a championship, but it makes no sense to sign a player that has been with two teams the last two years, plays exceptionally well but only when he's motivated, gets paid a lot of money, and every time there is a little trouble or frustration he wants out of the situation. That's what you get with Rogers. Since the Bills aren't near a championship, pass on him. He isn't worth it.

Sure, he has put up big stats, but big stats don't always translate to wins. Just look at who he's played for and the team results. Remember, Carson Palmer puts up big numbers. So did Larry Johnson a few times in his career. Rogers is the same type of player: put up big numbers, talented player, but he's not a leader or a winner.

The Bills need winners as well to change their culture.

Umm carson palmer is a winner still, in my mind he is the third best qb in the league, he was hurt all last year. I know rodgers wont want to come to buffalo but if we could convince him I think that would be ideal. Stroud and Rodgers in the middle with everette brown or orakpo on the left end spot, we would be a whole new team. I do believe a championship worthy team, as long as we can get a solid #2 wr and a te. I would bet the farm that if we were able to get haynesworth or rodgers we would be a totally different team. Other teams would fear our defensive front and thats what championship teams do, strike fear in others.

One less athletic LB to rush the QB means you need more pressure from the front 4, is you are fatand slow, its hard to chase down a QB.

Shaun Rogers is anything but "slow" his 20 sacks in the last 4 years can attest to that. Which is more then Albert Haynesworth has in that time span. He is the definition of a pocket collapsing dt. I'll echo the sentiments of Billsguru. Championship teams, have aspects that opponents fear. Schobel/Rogers/Stroud/Draft pick would drastically upgrade our defense to levels we haven't seen since the 99 team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2vks25u-r4

His cap hit for the Browns will be a little over $4mil(If I'm reading things correctly).

BTW, they would incur the same cap hit whether they cut him or traded him......the SB money does not transfer to the new team in a trade.

the browns would suffer a cap hit of 9.8M if they decided to dump him......not going to happen

the browns would suffer a cap hit of 9.8M if they decided to dump him......not going to happen

My mistake......it would only be $4mil+ if they traded him.

I agree. They are not going to cut him for that sort of hit. A low draft pick trade would possibly be appropriate though.

My mistake......it would only be $4mil+ if they traded him.

I agree. They are not going to cut him for that sort of hit. A low draft pick trade would possibly be appropriate though.

cap hit is the same whether they trade him or cut him......just ain't going to happen