It's Not It's Not A Rumor Anymore. Marshawn Has Been Arrested.

FluffHead

Lynch might be the world's stupidest human.

Didn't we think the same thing about Willis McGahee, and Travis Henry?

I gotta admitt, I don't like this, but I also thought the whole hit and run thing last offseason was a bit more upsetting. Possession of a non-registered, loaded hand gun seems pretty par for the course... It really speaks volumes about a persons' character, to hit and run from hitting another human being.

I like Marshawn, the player a lot, but this doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about him as a person. The Bills better re-sign Fred Jackson, and keep him happy. For all the crap TD has taken here over the years, his track record with "character guys" seems to be much better than Marvs...

One thing I do wonder, though, why did the cops stop him in the first place?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The actual wording of the second amendment is right on point here since I am certain that Lynch's actions were part of his being in a well regulated militia.

Your definition of a Militia (something akin to the National Guard) and the founding fathers definition of a militia are two different things.

The second amendment also was just clarified by the Supreme court defind the right as covering all the people not just the people in the militia.

The constitutional interpretation of the phrase, "the people", is very inclusive and it is fundamental to many of your civil rights it appears in several places in the bill of rights.

One thing I do wonder, though, why did the cops stop him in the first place?

Yeah, the article said that:

"when they came into contact with three adult males in a 2006 Mercedes Benz. After speaking with the occupants, they determined that one of the men in the car was Lynch, the Bills starting running back. A field investigation led to the “discovery of a loaded firearm.”

UPDATE: Lynch’s lawyer, M. Gerald Schwartzbach, told the Associated Press that Lynch was visiting friends in California and said there wasn’t a traffic accident.

Per the AP, Culver City police didn’t return a call requesting information on why Lynch and his friends came into contact with police officers.

Sort of ambiguous as to why the cops would approach the vehicle at all.

anyone see the episode of Real Sports on HBO where they talked about NFl players and guns?...most players carry guns now to protect themselves...a lot are scared about what happened to the players who were killed, shotup , lost limbs, and assaulted in just the past year...add to the fact that most grew up in really bad areas and still have family that live in those areas...its easy to say "dont go there" when they now have money and can move there parents and siblings to wherever, but you cant expect them to move there whole families everywhere they go...at some point if these players want to see there families, they are going to have to go back to where they grew up...as for not haveing a permit for the guns, thats just stupid, but I dont know Lynch's history and something might have happened that would not alow him to have a permit...I assume a lot of the NFL players have some kind of a "checkered past"...so there are probably a lot of players carrying without permits...I suggest finding the episode from Real Sports and watching it...its very insightful on how some of these players feel about guns....personally I dont think much will happen to Lynch about this...those of you who think Buffalo will cut him for it are just loopy...carrying a gun in the NFL is just a common thing now...as one player stated in Real Sports..he says that people tell him that the team has security, yes, but they dont fallow him to his car in the parkinglots or to his home or to the resturaunt he eats at...outside of the stadium hes on his own in this world

I haven't read this thread and don't know what the consensus opinion is here, but I've changed my stance on players and guns and why so many have them around. I used to think these guys should be thrown out of the league for their stupidity of carrying around loaded weapons...then came that Broncos DB who was killed, the Jags player who was shot and almost killed, Shawn Taylor was killed at home, Steve Smith was robbed at gun point. This is a threat level that many here do not understand. Add in the fact that the economy is in the tank, these players who everyone knows has globs of money are major targets. Does it make Marshawn right to break the law? No way. But I understand him and Plax's motives for wanting to feel more protected for the worst case scenario. It may sound dumb, but from where these guys are from and the amount of NFL players who have been shot (well yes, Plax stupidly did shoot himself but that's beside the point), I have come to understand the issue from the players viewpoint. Hopefully the NFL can have some kind of league wide forum on this because as long as players are young and feel as though their life is threatened when they leave the house, this issue is not going to go away. I'll be ticked off if they just throw the book at Marshawn. These players need a helping hand, not a backslap.

Maybe they ran a stop sign. Maybe they had a light out.Maybe they made a unsafe lane change. I wish I was black. I could scream profiling every time I got pulled over for doing 80 in a 30. Wait-Marshawn never did-just the automatic apologists on this post. Why not wait to hear what actually happened before sprewing off at the mouth?

Maybe they ran a stop sign. Maybe they had a light out.Maybe they made a unsafe lane change. I wish I was black. I could scream profiling every time I got pulled over for doing 80 in a 30. Wait-Marshawn never did-just the automatic apologists on this post. Why not wait to hear what actually happened before sprewing off at the mouth?

All those "maybe's"--but let's be clear that another "maybe" is that it was nothing more than 3 gentlemen who happen to be black driving an expensive car. Doesn't it seem suspicious to you that the police haven't identified what it was that got them interested in the car--seems to me that if there was a legit reason that it would be out there front and center from the get go. Just good PR work there and what we're all used to seeing from the beginning of a story like this. I'll wait and see what comes out on all of this before passing judgment myself--maybe the police just forgot to mention why he was stopped and will do so now or maybe they won't (which to me personally will be quite telling).

I wonder if you realize that your comment about waiting to actually see what happened before spewing off at the mouth could apply equally to your post in which you seem to be implying that Lynch in fact did do something wrong to warrant the police attention (despite the lack of the cops stating this anywhere)?

Marshawn, as far as I know, isn't screaming racial profiling as far as I know and nobody here is either. It's just being brought up as a possibility because the police never released a reason for the stop. I can't remember when a police press release didn't include the reason for somebodies arrest.

Your speculation is no better than those speculating it was for nothing but a DWB. DWB is a problem and it seems more so in LA. Nice way to racially profile by saying every black person screams racism for an actual crime.

Steely you SOB, it's 9:00am and your new avatar has me drooling for some wings.....

Marshawn....keep that nose clean....please.

ckinwing and I used to have similar avatars and he said he had his first but I know he's full of it. :w00t: So being the bigger man I changed my avatar to cut down on the confusion some have experienced when he and I post in the same thread.

I haven't read this thread and don't know what the consensus opinion is here, but I've changed my stance on players and guns and why so many have them around. I used to think these guys should be thrown out of the league for their stupidity of carrying around loaded weapons...then came that Broncos DB who was killed, the Jags player who was shot and almost killed, Shawn Taylor was killed at home, Steve Smith was robbed at gun point. This is a threat level that many here do not understand. Add in the fact that the economy is in the tank, these players who everyone knows has globs of money are major targets. Does it make Marshawn right to break the law? No way. But I understand him and Plax's motives for wanting to feel more protected for the worst case scenario. It may sound dumb, but from where these guys are from and the amount of NFL players who have been shot (well yes, Plax stupidly did shoot himself but that's beside the point), I have come to understand the issue from the players viewpoint. Hopefully the NFL can have some kind of league wide forum on this because as long as players are young and feel as though their life is threatened when they leave the house, this issue is not going to go away. I'll be ticked off if they just throw the book at Marshawn. These players need a helping hand, not a backslap.

A smarter move would be for the league to either pay for outright, or subsidize part of, the salary for bodyguards for any player that wants one. If a player feels personally threatened enough that it would put him in a position to willing break the law and carry a loaded, concealed, unregistered handgun, then the NFL (an entity that makes billions and has somewhat of an obligation to protect its own product) should supply some form of protection. I understand that some of these guys still have friends and family that live in areas that might put the player in an uncomfortable position, but if a player feels the need to go there then he should have protection from the league, which would protect the player, protect the league's investment, and keep everybody square with the law. There is absolutely no good reason, based on the money these players and the league makes, that would dictate that these players are on their own with respect to their own personal safety. IMO, it would definately seperate the punks from the ones who are just protecting themselves. If they have the option of having protection, then choose to not use it and end up in a situation like Lynch, it would also make it far easier for the league to dole out punishment.

Hiring body guards is a much smarter decision, JMO.

Hiring body guards is also a lot of money. The truth is, even players that come from bad neighborhoods need to learn and accept that once you become successful you just can't do the things you used to. Sure, it's a nice thought, but people are always ready to attack one another.

Hiring body guards is also a lot of money. The truth is, even players that come from bad neighborhoods need to learn and accept that once you become successful you just can't do the things you used to. Sure, it's a nice thought, but people are always ready to attack one another.

:w00t:

Big deal, they are targeted for making a lot of money so let them shell some out for protection. There are expenses associated with any job.

A smarter move would be for the league to either pay for outright, or subsidize part of, the salary for bodyguards for any player that wants one. If a player feels personally threatened enough that it would put him in a position to willing break the law and carry a loaded, concealed, unregistered handgun, then the NFL (an entity that makes billions and has somewhat of an obligation to protect its own product) should supply some form of protection. I understand that some of these guys still have friends and family that live in areas that might put the player in an uncomfortable position, but if a player feels the need to go there then he should have protection from the league, which would protect the player, protect the league's investment, and keep everybody square with the law. There is absolutely no good reason, based on the money these players and the league makes, that would dictate that these players are on their own with respect to their own personal safety. IMO, it would definately seperate the punks from the ones who are just protecting themselves. If they have the option of having protection, then choose to not use it and end up in a situation like Lynch, it would also make it far easier for the league to dole out punishment.

I agree with most of what you said. There's obviously a disconnect with the amount of violence NFL players have been met with in recent years, the players need to feel protected, the laws of the land and the NFL's back turning on the issue. The NFL needs to do something more than saying "Hey, you're on your own fellas". They know the areas many are from and now with this huge economic downturn it's only a matter of time before another player is shot and maybe killed while being robbed. If I were Goodall I'd have a forum to generate ideas about how to address the issue of player's fear of being targets of people with very bad intentions.

All those "maybe's"--but let's be clear that another "maybe" is that it was nothing more than 3 gentlemen who happen to be black driving an expensive car. Doesn't it seem suspicious to you that the police haven't identified what it was that got them interested in the car--seems to me that if there was a legit reason that it would be out there front and center from the get go. Just good PR work there and what we're all used to seeing from the beginning of a story like this. I'll wait and see what comes out on all of this before passing judgment myself--maybe the police just forgot to mention why he was stopped and will do so now or maybe they won't (which to me personally will be quite telling).

I wonder if you realize that your comment about waiting to actually see what happened before spewing off at the mouth could apply equally to your post in which you seem to be implying that Lynch in fact did do something wrong to warrant the police attention (despite the lack of the cops stating this anywhere)?

Maybe they were stopped because they were black and driving a expensive car. Maybe they were hitting on hookers.I don't know,and neither do you.It was the automatic implication of some sort of racism I have a problem with.

Your head was permanently lodged in your fourth point of contact for about four months leading up to draft day 08.

Keep whining about the past and taking shots at Levy. The same ideas beaten over and over again that we can do nothing to change bring so much to the board.

The poor NFL players need to carry unlicensed guns to protect themselves? I don't feel sorry for any of the dumb asses that feel they are above the law and don't need to get a permit. I hope they throw the book at Marshawn and make an example of him. This all hinders on if he is really truly guilty of what he's being charged with. Lynch will probably pay a lawyer very good money and make a anonymous donation to a political party of some sort and get his charges reduced. :w00t:

That's justice!

Maybe they were stopped because they were black and driving a expensive car. Maybe they were hitting on hookers.I don't know,and neither do you.It was the automatic implication of some sort of racism I have a problem with.

We'd all be better off if people were willing to wait for some facts, but the Bills will win the Super Bowl before than happens.

Buffalo, the home of "the greatest fans" in the NFL, sure turn on their own fast.

Serious question....I go back and forth over this particular issue.

Do you think that the players ow the fans anything? Really, I am not joking around with this or trying to ask a loaded question. Imo it is something to consider.

The poor NFL players need to carry unlicensed guns to protect themselves? I don't feel sorry for any of the dumb asses that feel they are above the law and don't need to get a permit. I hope they throw the book at Marshawn and make an example of him. This all hinders on if he is really truly guilty of what he's being charged with. Lynch will probably pay a lawyer very good money and make a anonymous donation to a political party of some sort and get his charges reduced. :w00t:

That's justice!

He's a rich, young, famous, probably fearful NFL player who comes from a very bad neighborhood who's no doubt had little guidance from the NFL on how to handle his own security. Doesn't make it right, but it also doesn't make him someone you "throw the book at" either.

:w00t:

Big deal, they are targeted for making a lot of money so let them shell some out for protection. There are expenses associated with any job.

Seems like the NFL should counsel these guys more about when they leave where they came from and the risks associated with where they are now. Right now, it seems like the NFL doesn't step in until it's too late or just to hand punishment. I know the NFL does one rookie symposium.

I agree with most of what you said. There's obviously a disconnect with the amount of violence NFL players have been met with in recent years, the players need to feel protected, the laws of the land and the NFL's back turning on the issue. The NFL needs to do something more than saying "Hey, you're on your own fellas". They know the areas many are from and now with this huge economic downturn it's only a matter of time before another player is shot and maybe killed while being robbed. If I were Goodall I'd have a forum to generate ideas about how to address the issue of player's fear of being targets of people with very bad intentions.

Every year the NFL holds a rookie symposium where veteran players talk about the bad stuff they will encounter, like friends who are friends as long as the player is shelling out the bar tabs, unscrupulous money managers and how to avoid dangerous situations. Some rookies listen and some don't.

Worked like a charm for pac man..

Pac Man was assigned body guards and didn't hire them himself, big difference. JMO

I don't think they planted the gun I just think they stopped him for DWB. A friend of mine in Rochester Drove a Grand Am and a cop stopped him saying he was thinking about buying one and asked him to open the trunk. :w00t:

The whole elation of the black community, according to friends of mine, is because after years of blacks being railroaded by the police for violence against whites finally somebody got away with one going the other way.

An original idea might suit you once in a while.

Serious question....I go back and forth over this particular issue.

Do you think that the players ow the fans anything? Really, I am not joking around with this or trying to ask a loaded question. Imo it is something to consider.

Nah those days of sports are long gone. The only thing i expect of today's athlete is that they give 100% on the field. Check your PM for a longer answer.

Nah those days of sports are long gone. The only thing i expect of today's athlete is that they give 100% on the field. Check your PM for a longer answer.

I agree to a point. They owe something to the people that are paying them much more than any debt to fans.

The thing is, the team management DOES owe us something. That is why they send guys out for public service, etc. I am not as concerned so much as to whether or not Lynch is guilty in a legal sense. What bugs me is that he is in essence thumbing his nose at Mr. Wilson and team management. We rely on these people to put a good product o the field. They are all we have as Bills Fans.

Marshawn can now be classified as a person who pretty much does as he chooses off of the field, unless one is starry eyed and wants to believe that this was the first time he was ever riding around with illegal guns. This is not good. It sets a bad example for other young players on a team with a headcoach who is already weak. Overall, Lynch might not be the worst guy, but in this sense he doesn't give a f :w00t: k in terms of how he behaves off the field.

I guess what I am saying is that while Lynch owes me little or nothing, the feeling is mutual. And, I am already fed up wit his antics.

Every year the NFL holds a rookie symposium where veteran players talk about the bad stuff they will encounter, like friends who are friends as long as the player is shelling out the bar tabs, unscrupulous money managers and how to avoid dangerous situations. Some rookies listen and some don't.

Oh you mean that symposium where they playact in a four star resort in front of a bunch of clueless 22 year olds???? There happens to be a REAL world out there where REAL fear of the outside world trumps bad acting...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3129406

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716385

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag...rs-richard.html

http://philadelphia.about.com/b/2005/07/29...dougle-shot.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3739206

http://www.emqb.com/rashard-mendenhall-robbed-at-gunpoint/

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5632067

The NFL needs to do more than a stupid and fake puppet show given to the rookies. The whole league obviously needs an intense training program regarding security issues and the proper means and methods of providing oneself with security. If you can't tell they're serious targets by reading the above stories then there's nothing more to discuss.

Oh you mean that symposium where they playact in a four star resort in front of a bunch of clueless 22 year olds???? There happens to be a REAL world out there where REAL fear of the outside world trumps bad acting...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3129406

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716385

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag...rs-richard.html

http://philadelphia.about.com/b/2005/07/29...dougle-shot.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3739206

http://www.emqb.com/rashard-mendenhall-robbed-at-gunpoint/

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5632067

The NFL needs to do more than a stupid and fake puppet show given to the rookies. The whole league obviously needs an intense training program regarding security issues and the proper means and methods of providing oneself with security. If you can't tell they're serious targets by reading the above stories then there's nothing more to discuss.

Yes what I said applies to every situation with players. :w00t: I never said it applied to everyone.

You are all over the place and hard to follow, at least for me. Are you stating that you think Lynch is a victim here?

Yeah, he was riding with a guy in a Mercedes who was cited for "DWB" (Drving While Black). Cops hate it when younger people drive cars they can't afford. I used to catch crap all of the time around here in VA when I was younger driving around in my Lincoln LS. I once got pulled and given a ticket for breaking the local "Noise Ordinance" and I only had a factory stereo system. :w00t: Cops can be real pricks sometimes, especially when they're jealous :w00t:

He's a rich, young, famous, probably fearful NFL player who comes from a very bad neighborhood who's no doubt had little guidance from the NFL on how to handle his own security. Doesn't make it right, but it also doesn't make him someone you "throw the book at" either.

He's had guidance. All NFL rookies attend a seminar or two hosted by the NFL on conduct. He has an agent and the Bills I'm sure advise their players. He had to agree to the NFL's conduct policy. He saw what happened to Burris.

These guys dream on being pro athletes and getting out of the "hood" but many of them can't shed those habits or their friends from the hood. It's a tough transition I'm sure. After last year's scare, he should know better. If you feel you need a gun, get a permit and follow the rules.

Yeah, he was riding with a guy in a Mercedes who was cited for "DWB" (Drving While Black). Cops hate it when younger people drive cars they can't afford. I used to catch crap all of the time around here in VA when I was younger driving around in my Lincoln LS. I once got pulled and given a ticket for breaking the local "Noise Ordinance" and I only had a factory stereo system. :w00t: Cops can be real pricks sometimes, especially when they're jealous :w00t:

This is very true. Laws give Cops power to get away with a lot. Yeah laws do protect citizens, but only til much later..

Yeah, he was riding with a guy in a Mercedes who was cited for "DWB" (Drving While Black). Cops hate it when younger people drive cars they can't afford. I used to catch crap all of the time around here in VA when I was younger driving around in my Lincoln LS. I once got pulled and given a ticket for breaking the local "Noise Ordinance" and I only had a factory stereo system. :lol: Cops can be real pricks sometimes, especially when they're jealous :w00t:

Thanks for the info. I guess that explains the gun, as well as the emotional state of every cop. :w00t:

You are all over the place and hard to follow, at least for me. Are you stating that you think Lynch is a victim here?

I'm not all over the place. All I've said is if he was targeted for DWB then yes he's a victim but, I don't know what happened yet. If there is no good reason given by the police as to why he was pulled over then I'd call it racial profiling. As I stated above a friend of mine was targeted for DWB.

Thanks for the info. I guess that explains the gun, as well as the emotional state of every cop. :lol:

Yes the gun was in the car and my statement doesn't explain it, but why were they pulled and searched in the first place. :w00t: "Culver County dispatch.....We have young black males drivning around our city in a 2006 Mercedes Benz. They may be looking to pull a drive by. I'm going to pull them over." :w00t: