2 QB's already off market...

Alphadawg7

David Carr in NY and McCown in TB are already off the market be resigning with their respective clubs, and those were 2 QB's that many believed might wind up here...

Honestly, I dont see much hope in the FA market for a QB. If Det takes a QB, maybe they will cut Culpepper and we can look at him. But outside of that, Garcia and Leftwich seem to be the most capable, but after them, no one really gives me much confidence.

I won't lose sleep over missing out on Carr. The Bills need a backup to protect against Edwards' injury risk and risk of not advancing. If Carr became the starter for the Bills due to one of those situations then they'd be looking at a top 5 pick in 2010.

McCown I would have liked as a backup, but I didn't see him leaving Tampa where he can compete for the starting job.

As for Garcia, he's not going to come to Buffalo where he would be signing as the #2 and have to work his way up. But I definitely want the Bills to talk to Leftwich as a backup.

Honestly, I dont see much hope in the FA market for a QB. If Det takes a QB, maybe they will cut Culpepper and we can look at him. But outside of that, Garcia and Leftwich seem to be the most capable, but after them, no one really gives me much confidence.

Culpepper, Leftwhich, and Garcia...all three of them could start over Trent. Dick will bring in somebody who can "push Trent" but wont bring in anybody who is realistically capable of taking his job. we will either see Hamden or a late draft pick.

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team

QB Brett Basanez Signed Carolina Panthers Chicago Bears

QB Charlie Batch UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

QB Brock Berlin RFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent

QB Kyle Boller UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

QB Brooks Bollinger UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

QB Todd Bouman UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

QB David Carr Re-signed New York Giants New York Giants

QB Matt Cassel UFA New England Patriots Free Agent

QB Kerry Collins UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

QB Ken Dorsey UFA (Cut) Cleveland Browns Free Agent

QB Bruce Eugene RFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick UFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent

QB Charlie Frye UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent

QB Jeff Garcia UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

QB David Garrard UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent

QB Bruce Gradkowski UFA (Cut) Cleveland Browns Free Agent

QB David Greene UFA Free Agent Retired

QB Rex Grossman UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent

QB Joey Harrington UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent

QB Drew Henson RFA Detroit Lions Free Agent

QB Byron Leftwich UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

QB J.P. Losman UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

QB Jamie Martin UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

QB Luke McCown Re-signed Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tampa Bay Buccaneers

QB J.T. O'Sullivan UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

QB Dan Orlovsky UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent

QB Kyle Orton Re-signed Chicago Bears Chicago Bears

QB Tyler Palko Signed Free Agent Arizona Cardinals

QB Patrick Ramsey UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent

QB Chris Simms UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

QB Brian St. Pierre UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

QB Marques Tuiasosopo UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

QB Kurt Warner UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

QB Andre' Woodson Re-signed New York Giants New York Giants

QB Anthony Wright UFA New York Giants Free Agent

Still some good options out there. Brian St. Pierre, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Chris Simms.

The exception being if the player is kind of "winding down" his career. The guy Minn had, can't recall his name, "Mr Headbutt goalpost" He was old enough that I think a guy tlike that would be more agreeable to come to Buffalo with the understanding he will likely be the backup, barring injury. Maybe Garcia falls into that group too, though he may feel he still has something left as a starter. However he needs a team to agree to that too.

The other arguement you could make for a guy to come here to backup Edwards is, he's not an entrenched starter. No matter how bad a Manning or Rivers, etc were to play, they won't get benched. While I like TE and think he can be a good starter, he certainly has shorter leash than some others may have

The exception being if the player is kind of "winding down" his career. The guy Minn had, can't recall his name, "Mr Headbutt goalpost" He was old enough that I think a guy tlike that would be more agreeable to come to Buffalo with the understanding he will likely be the backup, barring injury. Maybe Garcia falls into that group too, though he may feel he still has something left as a starter. However he needs a team to agree to that too.

The other arguement you could make for a guy to come here to backup Edwards is, he's not an entrenched starter. No matter how bad a Manning or Rivers, etc were to play, they won't get benched. While I like TE and think he can be a good starter, he certainly has shorter leash than some others may have

Yes you're thinking of Gus Frerotte. I think he head butted the padded wall in the end zone.

Yeah he probably would come in to compete.

The other thing about getting a QB to agree to come here and compete is money.

If you tell a guy he has the opportunity to compete for the starting job, you have to give him a contract which proves that. If he gets a small contract then that's telling him that he's less likely to start than if he gets a bigger contract. At very least he'd have to be given incentives which would increase his compensation if he was starting. All things being equal a guy is going to be more likely to play the more money he makes. Teams don't like to spend a lot of money on someone who'll be sitting on the bench.

Playing for jauron would be ahit to their ego. Whoever comes to Buffalo is doing so just for the paycheck.

thank god that successful people in this world don't think the way you do.

the reason other than a paycheck would be about their personal pride and their motivation to succeed at what they do. To prove to people and themselves that they can achieve and lead and be winners.

Whoever they bring in should be brought in under this general understanding and this plan:

"We would like you to come in and compete for the starting job. We feel the team can win with you under center. We like our young quarterback Trent Edwards but we feel that if you sign with us that the competition will make both of you better players and there's also a chance that Trent is still a year or two away from being the player that we think he'll eventually be. You'll be given a fair shot at beating him in an open competition and may the best man win."

I think that's how you'd have to approach it.

Agreed that that is how it should be approached but I don't believe they (Jauron et al) will be bringing in a QB to compete with Edwards. I believe they have handed the job to Edwards, for better or worse, and are looking for a short-money backup to go in when he gets injured. I do not for one second believe they will be opening up any competition in camp, and won't be advertising the job as one that is open for competition. Prepared to be underwhelmed by whatever journeyman clipboard holder they bring in.

QB Brett Basanez Signed Carolina Panthers Chicago Bears

QB Charlie Batch UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

QB Brock Berlin RFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent

QB Kyle Boller UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

QB Brooks Bollinger UFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

QB Todd Bouman UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

QB David Carr Re-signed New York Giants New York Giants

QB Matt Cassel UFA New England Patriots Free Agent

QB Kerry Collins UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

QB Ken Dorsey UFA (Cut) Cleveland Browns Free Agent

QB Bruce Eugene RFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick UFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent

QB Charlie Frye UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent

QB Jeff Garcia UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

QB Bruce Gradkowski UFA (Cut) Cleveland Browns Free Agent

QB David Greene UFA Free Agent Retired

QB Rex Grossman UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent

QB Joey Harrington UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent

QB Drew Henson RFA Detroit Lions Free Agent

QB Byron Leftwich UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

QB J.P. Losman UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

QB Jamie Martin UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

QB Luke McCown Re-signed Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tampa Bay Buccaneers

QB J.T. O'Sullivan UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

QB Dan Orlovsky UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent

QB Kyle Orton Re-signed Chicago Bears Chicago Bears

QB Tyler Palko Signed Free Agent Arizona Cardinals

QB Patrick Ramsey UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent

QB Chris Simms UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

QB Brian St. Pierre UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

QB Marques Tuiasosopo UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

QB Kurt Warner UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent

QB Andre' Woodson Re-signed New York Giants New York Giants

QB Anthony Wright UFA New York Giants Free Agent

I can't believe Todd Bouman is still kicking around. I sent an e-mail to Donahoe a few years ago begging him to sign Bouman, who I always thought showed flashes of brilliance when given the chance. (No response). Now the guy must be 40 years old.

Agreed that that is how it should be approached but I don't believe they (Jauron et al) will be bringing in a QB to compete with Edwards. I believe they have handed the job to Edwards, for better or worse, and are looking for a short-money backup to go in when he gets injured. I do not for one second believe they will be opening up any competition in camp, and won't be advertising the job as one that is open for competition. Prepared to be underwhelmed by whatever journeyman clipboard holder they bring in.

I believe you are correct. I don't think it's negativity. I agree with you that it would be surprising for them to bring in someone to compete for the job.

I'm on record that I'm a Trent fan but if I were running the team, I'd bring in a guy to compete with him, not just be a backup. Nonetheless I fear you are correct.

Still some good options out there. Brian St. Pierre, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Chris Simms.

I'd love to see the Bills make a play for Garrard although I don't think he would come in as a #2. Good arm, reminds me of Roethlesberger in that he's hard to bring down, can run pretty well with the ball, impeccable character. Hasn't had much to work with in Jax this year.

If Garrard did come to Buffalo as a #2 (let's say just for S & G's), and Edwards was out for 2-3 games with an injury, I'm not so sure Trent would automatically get his job back.

But.....I think I'm just bored and suffering through NFL withdrawal and starting to hallucinate and it's only February and oh Lawdy Momma.......

David Carr in NY and McCown in TB are already off the market be resigning with their respective clubs, and those were 2 QB's that many believed might wind up here...

david carr are you freaking serious,LOL. by the way kirwin and ryan were just talking about the free agent QB's and kirwin mentioned JP. ryan answered that from watching that cat i dont even think he can be a back up and kirwin said correct again.

just like i have been saying i think we have seen the last of JP in the NFL. IMO and in theirs his only chance is as a vet minimum third string clip board holder.

yesterday mike lombardi wrote about his top 10 free agent QB's and he did not include JP in that list either. JP's agent has his work cut out for him.

I'd love to see the Bills make a play for Garrard although I don't think he would come in as a #2. Good arm, reminds me of Roethlesberger in that he's hard to bring down, can run pretty well with the ball, impeccable character. Hasn't had much to work with in Jax this year.

If Garrard did come to Buffalo as a #2 (let's say just for S & G's), and Edwards was out for 2-3 games with an injury, I'm not so sure Trent would automatically get his job back.

But.....I think I'm just bored and suffering through NFL withdrawal and starting to hallucinate and it's only February and oh Lawdy Momma.......

Hey Doc,

I'm guessing you mean Leftwich? Because I believe that Garrard is the entrenched starter for Jacksonville and I've seen no news that they're trying to move him or that he wants to leave. In April of last year Garrard signed a 6 year, $60 million contract.

I told someone who I work with only somewhat jokingly that the Bills will come out with some kind of statement like "we really like who we have at quarterback" (meaning Edwards/Hamdan). I can never tell with the Bills but I don't think that they think QB is an urgent need.

Boller, Frye, or Simms would be my realistic choices in free-agency, or spend a late pick (round five or six maybe) on someone they could develop for a couple of years.

Hey Doc,

I'm guessing you mean Leftwich? Because I believe that Garrard is the entrenched starter for Jacksonville and I've seen no news that they're trying to move him or that he wants to leave. In April of last year Garrard signed a 6 year, $60 million contract.

Rightly or wrongly, I meant Garrard, On one of the posts in this thread, Garrard was listed as FA. He ain't leavin' Jax unless they pull a fast one and bring in someone to replace him.

Don't care for Leftwich, though. He couldn't hold onto the starting job in Jax (Garrard) or Hot'lanta (Joey Effing Harrington ferchrissakes).

I'm just going through withdrawal, so don't pay me no nevermind.

the reason other than a paycheck would be about their personal pride and their motivation to succeed at what they do. To prove to people and themselves that they can achieve and lead and be winners.

Those reasons are a given. My point is that a free agent QB won't likely come to Buffalo because of the great coaching, the great offensive scheme or for the chance to play on a winner.

david carr are you freaking serious,LOL. by the way kirwin and ryan were just talking about the free agent QB's and kirwin mentioned JP. ryan answered that from watching that cat i dont even think he can be a back up and kirwin said correct again.

just like i have been saying i think we have seen the last of JP in the NFL. IMO and in theirs his only chance is as a vet minimum third string clip board holder.

yesterday mike lombardi wrote about his top 10 free agent QB's and he did not include JP in that list either. JP's agent has his work cut out for him.

When did I ever say "bring him in"? All I said was that 2 of the QB's that a lot of people on this board thought we might bring in were already off the market...I never said he was on my wish list...

Personally, all the obtainable QB's look pretty sad...Garcia and Leftwhich are 2 of the better choices, and they still are terrible choices. The only decent option I can see is Detroit cutting Culpepper. We had interest in Culpepper before, so I think if they cut him then he could be worth looking at. Same with Jon Kitna.

All in all, it looks pretty bleak out there barring any major surprises. So Trent, you better Cowboy the F*ck Up and step your game up for once or this team is sunk in 09.

Why are people talking about David Garrard? He is not a free agent, the list someone keeps posting is wrong. He signed something like a 6 year $60 million deal last offseason to stay in Jax. So enough of Garrard, he is NOT available in Free Agency.

Everyone seems to be overlooking Charlie Batch. Yes, he's getting up there, but is still capable of comming in when Trent is down and managing the field. The biggest upside is that he will be a vet presence who could absolutely do wonders for Trent's mental game. He is roll player who will come in knowing he's the # 2 guy and his foremost responsibility is to take care of Trent's psyche for a couple 2-3 years.

Everyone seems to be overlooking Charlie Batch. Yes, he's getting up there, but is still capable of comming in when Trent is down and managing the field. The biggest upside is that he will be a vet presence who could absolutely do wonders for Trent's mental game. He is roll player who will come in knowing he's the # 2 guy and his foremost responsibility is to take care of Trent's psyche for a couple 2-3 years.

I think we oughta keep an eye on this situation....are both Batch and Leftwich UFAs? If so, I would imagine Pittsburgh would want one of them back. Whoever they do re-sign, the Bills should go after the other.

the reason other than a paycheck would be about their personal pride and their motivation to succeed at what they do. To prove to people and themselves that they can achieve and lead and be winners. :)

Very Mom and Applepiesh, but dead on too!