wtf happened to Saturday morning

/dev/null

I get up a little early today to take care of some stuff then sit down and watch some Saturday morning TV. wtf happened to Saturday morning TV?

Must really suck to be a kid these days watching Infomercials and news shows. They need to bring back cartoons and the 3 stooges and all the cool stuff that used to be on

No more Bugs Bunny, no more Tom and Jerry, no more Road Runner.

OTOH, you have Hannah Montana and those twin boys who need haircuts.

Call me an old fogey, but I'll take the former.

Wait, Tom and Jerry is on at 5 am. Does that count? Haha

Late nights for the children these days! They don't get up till about 1 or 2... You know when the "sun is warm."

You remember the old radio spoof about Mr. Roger's Neighborhood featuring a visit from a jazz musician, who tells Mr. Rogers that he's "stupid" for getting up early, saying "I get up when the sun is warm, usually about 1, 2 o'clock."

??

Late nights for the children these days! They don't get up till about 1 or 2... You know when the "sun is warm."

You remember the old radio spoof about Mr. Roger's Neighborhood featuring a visit from a jazz musician, who tells Mr. Rogers that he's "stupid" for getting up early, saying "I get up when the sun is warm, usually about 1, 2 o'clock."

??

Tt was a Cheech and Chong skit I think!

"Can you say Egg McMuffin?" "Eggamuffin."

I still call it that to this day thanks to that skit!

Tt was a Cheech and Chong skit I think!

"Can you say Egg McMuffin?" "Eggamuffin."

I still call it that to this day thanks to that skit!

That was a National Lampoon radio skit from the early 70s (pre SNL). The "Eggamuffin" guy is Bill Murray.

I get up a little early today to take care of some stuff then sit down and watch some Saturday morning TV. wtf happened to Saturday morning TV?

Must really suck to be a kid these days watching Infomercials and news shows. They need to bring back cartoons and the 3 stooges and all the cool stuff that used to be on

I think someone is missing the NFL.

There is very little local ad $$ for kids TV. Stations were dropping the network cartoon show for local news (higher ratings in the salable demographics, cheap to produce, the station keeps ALL the ad revenue and it helps the total station news image), and infomercials (no ratings, but the shows pay to be on, and the station shares in the revenue they produce). Since the coverage for the network cartoons was so low, it was hard to sell the advertising to national sponsors. So, networks dropped the expensive (relatively) cartoon programming, as they were losing money...and nobody really gives a crap about the audience (especially kids).

A damn shame, to tell the truth.

EDIT: The entire situation is more complicated, and the change in ratings methodology played a part, but that is the Reader's Digest version of what happened.

I just discussed this with my daugter this weekend. Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth (60s&70s) cartoons were on Saturdays from 630-about noon, and some scattered cartoons on Sundays (counting Davey & Goliath) other than that you had a few cartoons on Rocketship 7 and a few on Commander Tom and that was it! Now we have Cartoon network, TV Land, Disney Channel and all that other dreck I try to avoid..... She just looked at me and said "Are you done yet?, I want to watch my show".... Uhhgggg

The cartoons they actually do have on now all suck. Its all that japanese anime sh--. Best thing to do is to load your kids up with DVDs of the good stuff like the Smurfs, Fraggle Rock, etc. I'm hoping they release collections of the good old Looney Tunes on DVD.

My favorite Saturday Morning Cartoons/Shows in no particular order:

Pee-Wee's Playhouse

Camp Candy

Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids

Disney's Gummy Bears

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Saved By The Bell

Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour

Heathcliff

no..no...no...National Lampoon, I think its from "that's not funny, that's sick", bill murray and chris guest

kind of a lame video of the audio....

Okay! Okay! Jeez, how come when I'm wrong about something 7011 people have to jump all over me about it and when Beerball makes his daily mistake no one says a word to him?!?! :blink:

Mea Culpa, it's National Fugging Lampoon!!!!