Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Ben is leading Jack and the rest on a mission to get back to the island. He implies that he'll be going back with them. But didn't he say last season that once he moved the island, he would never be able to go back?

Just a guess but perhaps there is one way to go back to the island after a person moves it. Maybe by being dead you can go back. I read somewhere that Locke killed himself. Perhaps he moves the island makes contact with everyone and kills himself just like he told them he would and that is why they are all upset. If I am right on this do you think Christian, (Jack's father) moved the island in the past?

Also, what ever happened to the black guy who visited Hurley in the Nut House and Lock in PT?

So after watching the recent episode "Jughead" Where, not when, is the island? Because an island can't just move due to time, unless it was millions of years in time differentials. But what we see on the island is roughly a 60 year scale. So WHERE IS THE ISLAND? NOT WHEN...

My friggin’ head is spinning! All this time travel business is confusing the heck out of me…and I’m loving it! LOL

Here are some random thoughts…

I’m starting to wonder how old DANIEL is? We’ve come to realize that Richard is apparently ageless, but how about Daniel? He seems to understand a lot about what is going on, plus now that we’re heading in the direction that the white haired woman whom Ben is working for (?) is indeed Daniels mother, I’m wondering how long he and she have been involved in all of this. And…hang on to your hat…could he then be Jacob’s son?

Staying on that topic…if Daniel was working for Widmore, and his mother is working with Ben (against Widmore), them what’s going on here? We know those are the two opposing camps, so I think Daniel must have been working for Widmore as a way to actually prevent Widmore from finding the island. Did Daniel and Ben ever run into one another last season…I don’t think so but I can’t be sure, because I would think Ben knows what Daniel is all about.

Richard went to Locke as a child to confirm that John told him last night. When he gave young John a chance to pick out the compass and he didn’t, he seemed disappointed, perhaps then doubting what John had told him. It’s so circular it’s painful to think about.

Finding out that Widmore was a former other was not all that shocking to me…we knew he had a very very indepth knowledge of the island and now we know where that came from. One has to wonder if perhaps he and Ben had a power struggle on the island at some point and Ben had Widmore shipped off.

Miles sensing the dead soldiers was a reminder of his “special power.” I think that is going to come in to play very soon…perhaps by his communicating with the dead John Locke?

Something tells me that A-bomb is going to make a reappearance sometime down the road in the future.

And lastly…I hope we see more of Ellie (the blonde other holding the gun on Daniel)!!!

Oooh...wait! How about this? Could Ellie be Theresa (the vegetative girl). Assuming that Ellie was on the island long enough to slow down her aging, could they be one and the same, with Theresa's brain becoming fried from trying to get back by working with Daniel?

Richard did this for a pretty good reason, I guess. Past-flash Ethan shot him and didn't believe Word One of what Locke was saying. No doubt Richard would have had to play it safe, too, and even if they didn't kill Locke, they'd lose all kinds of time that they don't have to spare. Then again, that last position of mine might be flat-wrong.

Thinking about the time-line, from what point did Richard originally go back to check on younger versions of Locke? We were only shown the flashback and we had no context. Did Richard see him back then w/o time travel? Did he time-travel there either when the Others first learned about Locke and his miraculous recovery... or time-travel when it first became apparent that Locke would be playing a major role in the group/taking over (in "The Man From Tallahassee")? Or does Richard go back after this point where he gave Locke the compass (b/c the Orchid would still be intact at the time of that flash point)?

It depends on that answer whether Richard giving Locke the compass would change anything from his past... such as young Locke having a link b/w 195_ and 2004, similar to what Desmond had b/w 1996 and 2004 in "The Constant" and this time choosing the compass in the test. Or was the test flashback what happens proceeding Richard giving Locke the compass and Richard being so disappointed? I guess we'll see.

1) Entirely possible. Also possible that the initial theory still stands that since the ship was carrying so much metal, the island's magnetic forces violently brought it in, and that it was so far inland is telling of how strong that force is/was? Desmond not pushing the button pulled 815 off course (no way of knowing how much of the thousand miles it might have been responsible for). Then again, how could the logbook have been "recovered by pirates" and kept by that family (I forget- was it the Hansos?) for so long before auctioning it? Unless it was stolen previous to an entrapping time-jump... just seems an odd thing to purposefully steal. Then, the Hansos auctioning it so that Widmore would buy it and use coordinates to find the island.

This begs the question of whether things that landed on the island would move with the island. Why would they not just sink after the island disappears?... but actually, that may have been covered by the raft not disappearing. Hmmm.

2) We just don't have enough to go on to even guess, at this point. Personally, I think it relates to the 'Dahli Lama' test that he gives to young Locke. Everything about how this show operates tells me that scene will be revisited.

I think it kind of plays in with Desmond. A new 'memory' delivered real-time to Desmond post-2001 is now going to influence his actions in 2007, but Faraday expects, due to Desmond's 'unique characteristics' that the knowledge he gains in 2007 will be known to him through the spectrum of his life (remember how Des smiled in 1996, knowing that the phone call works out in 2004). B/c Faraday can't predict with any certainty what time they're going to jump to next.

Likewise, I think the compass will deliver (or, Richard expects/hopes it will deliver) a window of this ability to see the whole spectrum for Locke. It again goes back to Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five" along with being 'slightly unstuck in time'... that the aliens in that book are aware of the fullness of time but are powerless to change anything. For them, things are as they always have been and always will be --- to wit, they cannot stop the destruction of their planet by something they created --- and the concept of ever-advancing time doesn't exist --- it's all one time.

3) I don't know what to think about that. My gut tells me no. The producers/writers did try to make JD look younger and his mannerisms in that 1996 flashback were different from his personality of the present that suggests aging. Also, if he were one of the original Hostiles, that would make him part of Richard's group, which would make him part of Ben's group, so why would he be joining a mission to capture Ben and inert one of Ben's weapons in the Tempest? I think Richard already knows very well what's happening to the island.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Well, it seems to 've been answered last night. Richard travels to see young Locke in the 50s. No time travel on his part to get there. Question is, might the scene play differently now since Richard gave Locke the compass and implanted that memory into his consciousness --- in other words, will Locke be able to experience 'the fullness of time' similar to how Desmond has had that ability (see the bolded section above of my posts last week).

You know, I wish they would start giving Sawyer things to say other than "Son of a B word!" three times per show. That's getting played out pretty fast.

Charles Widmore seems to be an original Hostile/Other. Yet Widmore's uniform says "Jones." There may be Brits among them, but they aren't British troops. Looks like they just took the American soldiers' uniforms. Widmore, speaking to Desmond, emphasized "many, many, many years ago" and my guess is he's not saying the half of it. Could the use of Latin be connected with that broken leg statue / an Atlantis tie-in?

"Jughead"... appears to be what was in the Tempest. They followed what Faraday said and "buried it" (and in 2004, Faraday 'renders it inert.' Evidently, this is something that Goodwin was working on, hence his 'chemical burn' treatment that started his affair with Juliet. But the way that woman with the gun said something like 'You again' to Faraday was odd, and Faraday said she looked familiar. May be something deeper here. At this point, can only guess that he had appeared before this time in a flash (that may have happened already or, oddly, may be yet to come).

Would anyone be able to confirm who the girl in the hospital bed is? Looked like the girl in the broken picture at Oxford. Why would I not be surprised if her last name is Lewis?

Also noticed that the wrist-tie stayed with Charlotte thru the jump. So, they can carry things across time... looks like they need to be holding/touching them.

Some thoughts right off the bat for discussion...last night's episode was awesome. I'm definitely a lot more interested in the island's secrets/time travel than the story line of the oceanic 6 trying to get back. So here goes, and some, none, or all of these may be right...

1. Since we know that whidmore was an "other," its possible he was the leader of them until he got diposed for Ben. Could explain why Whidmore wants to get back to the island, and also why he hates Ben. Or maybe Ben had something to do with sending whidmore off of the island.

2. The blonde on the island in 1954 is Faraday's mother (now the old white-haired woman).

3. Whidmore is Faraday's father. Him and the blonde meet on the island, and either the women weren't having reproductive problems back them, or perhaps whidmore and the blonde leave the island if/when she became pregnant with Faraday. This could explain why Whidmore is so interested in Faraday's work and why he was funding it. Would also explain why he seemed reluctant to give Des the address of faraday's mother, if they had some type of disagreement about the island, whether or not to go back, what to do about it, etc.

Also, the lady on the computer at Oxford is none other than the Oceanic clerk at the terminal that let Hurley on the plane. Her name was 'Ginny' then, don't think she gave it here. I would guess that she's in the Other off-island network, like the woman in the butcher shop.... What does that portend about this all being planned, or at least foretold (e.g. the psychic) and guided along its way.

Some thoughts right off the bat for discussion...last night's episode was awesome. I'm definitely a lot more interested in the island's secrets/time travel than the story line of the oceanic 6 trying to get back. So here goes, and some, none, or all of these may be right...

1. Since we know that whidmore was an "other," its possible he was the leader of them until he got diposed for Ben. Could explain why Whidmore wants to get back to the island, and also why he hates Ben. Or maybe Ben had something to do with sending whidmore off of the island.

2. The blonde on the island in 1954 is Faraday's mother (now the old white-haired woman).

3. Whidmore is Faraday's father. Him and the blonde meet on the island, and either the women weren't having reproductive problems back them, or perhaps whidmore and the blonde leave the island if/when she became pregnant with Faraday. This could explain why Whidmore is so interested in Faraday's work and why he was funding it. Would also explain why he seemed reluctant to give Des the address of faraday's mother, if they had some type of disagreement about the island, whether or not to go back, what to do about it, etc.

1) I believe that Ben took over leadership of the Others c. 1992 with the Purge. That timeline for any ousting of Widmore wouldn't be right if Widmore raised Penny back in England; she's mid-late-20s back in 1996. That doesn't mean that Penny wasn't born on the island, but we have no evidence of that... yet. Ben simply stands in his way of getting back / getting control of the island... I think Widmore's original beef is probably with Richard (that strain was expressed last night, with Richard having to push the gun away that was pointed at Locke) and what the Others came to be and what they were doing.

2) That's what I was thinking, actually. And I think they're subtly suggesting that with the similarity of hairstyle. Her name is __?__ Hawkins, as bubbled during the repeat.

3) I can dig that, maybe a fraternal twin to Penny? We've never had info about Penny's mother. Wouldn't be surprised about any of that. Don't know when the fertility issues started on the island, however, we did see Candle/Halliwax with the baby in the season premiere (with speculation that it is Miles).

There does seem to be a litany of disagreements among couples about habitation on the island. Whether to stay or go (or come back). Rose and Bernard. Jin and Sun (assuming that she's going to return... which, as everything is building toward them all having to return for it to work, seems pretty certain, we just have to see how it happens). Kate and Jack. Adding Widmore and Hawkins (with the additional element of them seeming to be on competing sides for control of the island) would be fitting. And, hell, you might even be able to add "Adam and Eve" as Locke called them... we still have no clue who they were.

Another thought on Faraday proclaiming his love for Charlotte.... He may be trying to establish just such a 'deep connection' that is, as he said, required for a 'constant.' Love for Penny worked for Desmond.... I think Faraday thinks if he can then establish a link between himself and Charlotte thru Desmond, the seizure / aneurysm can be stopped.

He seems to have at least stabilized the Theresa woman in the hospital bed (for which he was kicked out of Oxford)... she still has the flashes thru time, but she's alive.

1) I believe that Ben took over leadership of the Others c. 1992 with the Purge. That timeline for any ousting of Widmore wouldn't be right if Widmore raised Penny back in England; she's mid-late-20s back in 1996. That doesn't mean that Penny wasn't born on the island, but we have no evidence of that... yet. Ben simply stands in his way of getting back / getting control of the island... I think Widmore's original beef is probably with Richard (that strain was expressed last night, with Richard having to push the gun away that was pointed at Locke) and what the Others came to be and what they were doing.

2) That's what I was thinking, actually. And I think they're subtly suggesting that with the similarity of hairstyle. Her name is __?__ Hawkins, as bubbled during the repeat.

3) I can dig that, maybe a fraternal twin to Penny? We've never had info about Penny's mother. Wouldn't be surprised about any of that. Don't know when the fertility issues started on the island, however, we did see Candle/Halliwax with the baby in the season premiere (with speculation that it is Miles).

There does seem to be a litany of disagreements among couples about habitation on the island. Whether to stay or go (or come back). Rose and Bernard. Jin and Sun (assuming that she's going to return... which, as everything is building toward them all having to return for it to work, seems pretty certain, we just have to see how it happens). Kate and Jack. Adding Widmore and Hawkins (with the additional element of them seeming to be on competing sides for control of the island) would be fitting. And, hell, you might even be able to add "Adam and Eve" as Locke called them... we still have no clue who they were.

Re #2, the girl on the island is Ellie, and the old lady is Eloise Hawking. Ellie = Eloise isn't a stretch at all.

Anyone seem to think that the burying of the "H-bomb" is what eventually resulted in the hatch?

That's what I was wondering about as well, especially when remembering when Sayid said the last time he'd seen so much concrete, etc was Chernobyl. I don't know, but pretty likely. I was thinking also that it might have been stored in the Tempest, which Daniel 'rendered inert' but that may only have been the gas that was used in the Purge.

Might also fit with how the Swan fail-safe key set off an electromagnetic burst/pulse consistent with such a detonation. But then, watches, the sonogram machine, the computer in the Tempest, etc. still worked so it doesn't seem to've released an EMP b/c everything like that would've gone dead. Also, there was no real extensive damage that you might expect from an H-bomb. If it was 'Jughead' that powered the Swan (and that the Swan's code being input every 108 min. ... what did that do? Vent something? Gradually release magnetic buildup?), it's unclear what the fail-safe did. Unless Jughead wasn't an H-bomb.

Re #2, the girl on the island is Ellie, and the old lady is Eloise Hawking. Ellie = Eloise isn't a stretch at all.

Doing some reading on Lostpedia and yeah.

Also, her allegiance is disputed. For one, her suspected son, Daniel is working for Widmore. She is seen talking to Ben. What gives? Well, as someone suggests and from reading what Lindelof/Cuse have said about her after she first appeared, Lindelof called her a "temporal policeman." E.g. She is tasked with keeping the timeline in order. (To wit, she tells Ben that he has 70 hours to get to the island.) Perhaps she does not favor any side, but is merely an information officer dealing with time / physics and making sure the universe's course is correct... that 'the rules' are not broken, that what happened is what happens.

I felt the blonde was Faraday's woman in Oxford. Yet Widmore said that Faraday's mom was in LA so admit going to have to rewatch the episode as am rather confused by all that.

In terms of the H-bomb maybe it's leaking ultimately be what prevents women from on the island being able to give birth?

Yet on another board the an off wall question came up was about Desmond's son is named Charlie, was it in honor of our Lost hero or Charles Widmore? Not that it matters but at first I thought it was about the Lost here until heard John exclaim, your Charles Widmore? and then I question it myself.

He moved over to Fringe. :lol:

Yes, but Fringe is a JJ Abrams show, so there won't be any conflict there. Also, a spoiler re: Abbadon:

I listen to a Lost podcast that originates in Honolulu, so they sometimes witness scenes being filmed. One of the scenes they saw was of Abbadon and a wheelchair-bound Locke in a cemetery, so it is certain that we have not seen the last of Abbadon.