Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

Then again, Ben told Jack to pack any thing he wanted on the island b/c he wasn't ever coming back.

In order for this to be significant, Ben (or whoever is leading Ben) would have to be in absolute control of everyone's fate. OTOH, it might be possible for the survivors to completely change the course of their lives by making as few as one decision all on their own. Maybe Sayid's advice to Hugo was ultimately accurate....listen to whatever Ben tells you, then do the opposite.

Then, forgot to mention at the time a couple of weeks ago, but did you guys see the kid who plays Walt in the commercial that ran during Lost? I think it was Tostinos or HotPockets or some crap like that. Thought that was a little odd.

I'm sure Ben is behind it somehow.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Ben is behind it somehow.

:rolleyes: I just thought that was really weird. As a soft rule, I thought 'they' didn't air commercials that featured stars of the show, during that show. Hinders the 'suspension of disbelief' thingy.

Then again, money speaks loudly.

Anybody in show business care to comment on this phenomenon?

Wow! Now that was a great episode! Some questions answered...some blanks filled in...and a lot to look forward to next week!

Yeah, for sure. I did not think Locke would be taken off the island this quickly. Also, I did not see Christian Shepard coming- I thought Alpert, or possibly Abaddon. A little more on the smoke monster was nice, but I'm still perplexed by what went down with Rousseau and crew- were they sick? Were they lying about the monster being a security system? Or was Robert trying to kill her to save his own life? This whole season is moving very quickly, and I for one am loving it. It's more gripping than ever, and I can't wait for next week.

Yeah, for sure. I did not think Locke would be taken off the island this quickly. Also, I did not see Christian Shepard coming- I thought Alpert, or possibly Abaddon. A little more on the smoke monster was nice, but I'm still perplexed by what went down with Rousseau and crew- were they sick? Were they lying about the monster being a security system? Or was Robert trying to kill her to save his own life? This whole season is moving very quickly, and I for one am loving it. It's more gripping than ever, and I can't wait for next week.

It seems that Rousseau's crew was... possessed by the smoke monster. We've seen before how it downloads memories, so it's not too far toward implanting some or even taking complete control. That structure appears to be "The Temple" --- where Ben told the Others to go to when the Lostaways were going to the radio tower and later said that this place was only for the Others, not for small-o others. The monster protects the Temple, but we still don't know what is there or what happens there. Anyone get a look at the hieroglyphics, or a link to what they said?

The theme of sacrifice came up strong again tonight, and if you go back and read early on in this thread where I posted about Christian Shepard and how I think he was aware of his fate coming up (kind of like a slow-burn version of Michael's off-island experience) that led him to drink and basically give up trying.... I don't know if I specifically posted this, but I think that his 'sacrifice' was dying off-island so that Jack would have to go to Sydney, etc. That was the part Christian was always moving toward/waiting for. You either have a big part (how Jack has often been called a 'great man' and other stuff of this category) and how other people have smaller --- yet integral --- parts in the story. See Michael being told he "can go now" Widmore telling Desmond that the only great thing he'll ever do is push that button, etc.

The thing I question is whether people make that sacrifice out of free will or if it's guided / soft- or hard-determined for them to make it.

I don't know if the above statement is why Christian couldn't help Locke up --- that it had to be entirely Locke's doing... his choice... to 'sacrifice' himself, but my guess would be that he physically couldn't. (On edit: Wait. Christian picked up Aaron in the woods. Nix that "physically couldn't").

The Eloise Hawking speculation is now confirmed. Funny how Ben pulled over the van as Jack was going to reveal just how low Ben would go to get everyone back. Following what Christian said, it seems that Ben wants to be The Guy so badly that he messes everything up and causes a lot of pain along the way. Ben even screwed up turning the wheel by slipping it off its axle, which seems to have caused all or most of the 'temporal displacement' problems for the group. I just love that concept of the wheel... it's so cool.

What else...? Daniel having shown up when Charlotte was a girl on the island... a 'creepy old man' (is "old" relative in this sense?) that told her that coming back to the island would mean death. Can we suppose that this is connected with the opening scene in the premiere? And also, I guess it showed that creating new pasts during the flashes doesn't affect what eventually happens on the island --- the effects seem to be real-time implanted memories that don't bear fruit b/c e.g. by the time Charlotte 'remembers' it in near real-time, it's too late to do anything about her being on the island. There goes Daniel trying to screw time. But it also explains Daniel's first appearance on the show... where he's crying before the Widmore crew was assembled and he doesn't know why he's sad. Well, now we know, tho it may not be the end.

Also... sorry... about 'sacrifice' I just want to reiterate Jack's position. He was so hell-bent to get off the island and when Ben told him a few episodes ago that he wouldn't ever be returning to the 'real world' Jack says, "Good." Just.... Wow. And we still don't know what Ben had in that box.

Let me also say that this is without a doubt the best teevee show I've ever seen. The quality of this at every level is just awesome. When this is over, I'm going to have nothing left to watch....

OK, one thing that has me a little confused. If Jin wasn't around the "first" time Danielle and her crew came to the island, what prevented her from following them in after the smoke monster? Seems to me like Jin was the only one stopping her from going into the hole and thus become "sick" like the others, so I'm not sure how she would have escaped without him, or am I missing something about time travel?

Did anyone notice the wall of hieroglyphics by the hole the smoke monster went into? Did those match up with the ones from The Swan countdown clock?

Next week's episode looks to be even better. I imagine Eloise will give us the lowdown on some of the islands secrets.

BTW, I'm watching season 1 over with my girlfriend, I caught a really good note, remember the Claire episode when they discovered who Ethan was? In Claire's first vision or nightmare, she sees Locke at a desk by a tree and he says "You shouldn't have given him away, now the others have to pay the price."

OK, one thing that has me a little confused. If Jin wasn't around the "first" time Danielle and her crew came to the island, what prevented her from following them in after the smoke monster? Seems to me like Jin was the only one stopping her from going into the hole and thus become "sick" like the others, so I'm not sure how she would have escaped without him, or am I missing something about time travel?

They probably never would have had that encounter if it hadn't been for Jin. He was leading them to the radio tower.

OK, from Charlotte saying that she remembers Faraday from when she was a girl, it would appear that the time travel interactions did happen the first time around. B/c Faraday hasn't done it yet... yet it happened.

Also, with Charlotte having left as a girl and told the island never happened, I think we can safely assume that she was Annie, the girl who gave Ben the statue. Goes a little deeper into his psyche of the women in his life leaving him/the island and the complex that caused in his personality.... He feels he needs to scheme everyone into doing what he wants, and he needs to be the Guy, otherwise, everyone will leave him. Saw a glimpse of it when he shouted at Juliet, "You're MINE!" when she asked to leave. I'm absolutely sure we're going to be revisiting Young Charlotte and Young Ben again.

Danielle, over the course of 16 years, likely came to believe that Jin had been an Other infiltrator. And you know how memory is --- it gets shifted and resorted in your brain, things are added, subtracted, sometimes you remember things that never happened and forget details of what did. I don't remember if she had direct contact with Jin in 2004 that might've jogged her memory... but then again, by that time she's also gone batsh-- crazy on top of it.

Here's a screenshot of the Temple wall hieroglyphics. Not much to be gleaned there.

You have to remember how Lost is 'defining' time-space (or whatever you want to call it) vs. how many of us 'understand' it. If you remember back to the first or second episode of this season, Faraday tells Sawyer that it's like being on a one-way street... There is only one way to go, 'if it happened, it happened, and if it didn't, it can't happen'. This 'theory' leads you down a path that makes 'time' something different than how we understand it. We understand time as moving along constantly in small increments. This version of 'time' just 'is'. Contrast this to the sort of 'mainstream' view of how time travel works (I'll call this the Back to the Future version)... In BTTF, Dr. Brown describes creating 'alternate future realities' by coming back into the past and interacting with people, leading them down a 'side street', if you will (relating this to Faraday's one-way street analogy), that becomes the 'one-way' street (in other words: another, alternate reality). Lost would say that whatever happened always happened and always will happen. Time just 'is'. Back to the Future 'says' that you can literally change future events, because 'time' is fluid and changing.

Of course this is complicated by the fact that Desmond is 'special' (whatever that means) and HE has these 'real-time' memory gains. Maybe if you have a 'constant', you become 'special' in this way?

This time thing is just one big circle. For Daniel...he's involved with the Lost-aways now, but he was also involved way back when, and likely was in some way throughout the years. So where did his involvement begin? He obviously knew what was going to happen to Charlotte when we encountered her when she was a child. He was an adult then, as he is now. When and how did Daniel enter this continual time loop?

I wasn't blown away with the episode. As yes it did answer some questions but was more of a gap filler then anything earth shattering. I mean the Monster being the sickness that eventually killed Rousseau's team like a quick answer that the writers just didn't feel like really going into great detail. Not to mention that the problem with the Island hopping in space due to Ben doing instead of Locke just seemed another simple solution. Of course Daniel telling a young Charlotte not returning to the island proves interesting and leads me to wonder about the young girl Annie that Ben liked as a youth. Also the timing of Desmond meeting the Lostaways in LA at the exact time was a bit far fetched but then again the whole show is but usually I can suspend my belief in reality more then was able to in last night's show. Sorry to be a downer.

This time thing is just one big circle. For Daniel...he's involved with the Lost-aways now, but he was also involved way back when, and likely was in some way throughout the years. So where did his involvement begin? He obviously knew what was going to happen to Charlotte when we encountered her when she was a child. He was an adult then, as he is now. When and how did Daniel enter this continual time loop?

AND....... Why doesn't Walt have to come back??

AND....... Why doesn't Walt have to come back??

Or Desmond for that matter? But I agree, they better deal with Walt- his appearance last season with Hurley leads me to believe they'll at least resolve his story, but through season 2 we were made to believe he'd be an integral part of the story, and now he's barely seen, let alone mentioned.

good episode (i finally got a chance to watch it). a thought is that maybe Faraday is Charlotte's father? He says he loves her and people assume its the romantic love. But perhaps its the fraternal love, and thats why Faraday cares for her so much. It would explain how she remembers him from the island, and perhaps, charlotte and her mom left Faraday on the island when they took off.

Did anyone notice the wall of hieroglyphics by the hole the smoke monster went into? Did those match up with the ones from The Swan countdown clock?

regarding the hieroglyphics... i found this post in a comment section online

Charlotte Staples Lewis, knows more about Ancient Carthage than Hannibal himself!

Ancient Carthage, founded 814 BC was an Empire in north Africa, Capital was in Tunisia, one of there emperors was called Hannibal.

Anyway The Temple, The secret door in Bens secret room, had hieroglyphs on them, which I thought instantly must be Egyptian, turns out Egypt was part of Ancient Carthage.

When Ben turned the wheel, he was transported to Tunisia, there is a deleted scene(shape of things to come)Ben finds a Well by were he teleported to, just like the Well lock fell down!

What Im saying is: The Dharma Initiative were researching Ancient Carthage as they were on the Island prior to the DI, because they had left there temple, there statue and there Well, plus there is some sort of Gateway/Wormhole/Black hole between North Africa and the Island, this is also why Yemi’s drug plane ends up on the Island and why Charlotte found a polar bear in the Sahara.

regarding the hieroglyphics... i found this post in a comment section online

Charlotte Staples Lewis, huh...sounds like C.S. Lewis, the creator of narnia. Could the island be charlotte's narnia?

and this is from my girl on the topic...

"more creepy narnia things. in "the white witch" book, the evil white witch tempts edmund with turkish delight, a chocolate dish. before charlotte died, she said "i'm not supposed to have chocolate for dinner."

so...the island, or the white witch, tempted edmund to betray his family...same thing on lost. the island tempted her to come back.

"