Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will become evident tonight which object young Locke was supposed to pick up when RA interviewed him.

RA was expecting young Locke to pick the compass: RA to Locke as he's fixing his leg and after he handed him the compass, "The next time you see me, you won't know me."

Once we've figured this out, there's gonna be 100 more questions...

You are so right.

Normally that would be a bad thing for a show. If you remember The X-Files, you know what I'm talking about.

Thankfully this show has a much different story arc that people are fascinated by the twists and turns, and they do not care if the answers lead to more questions.

This show is brilliant. I normally tend to stay away from calling specific shows "The greatest TV show of all time", but I must admit that Lost is by far one of the best TV shows I have ever seen.

Duey, I'm not sure placing so much importance on Hurley is correct. For sure, one of the important people, but there are many. Each person has a special role to play. And then they die. It's like how Christian told Michael on the boat, "You can go now, Michael" right before it blows up. Hurley may be the 'heart/soul' of the show, but they've complimented and placed premium importance on several characters. The creators have said there's a little borrowing of "The Langoliers" how those things would come in and eat the past --- everything. On the island, it's a mix of "the universe course correcting" happenstances and the smoke monster attacking people whose roles are finished --- e.g. the pilot flew the plane, gave them the transceiver and said they were a thousand miles off course, and then he was... well, you know.

I had never liked Jeremy Davies characters before --- the pathetic, timid type ala in Saving Private Ryan, and Faraday is cut from the same bolt, only he's a physicist. I like how the character is developing tho, trying to protect the course of events thru time, but also being the hypocrite b/c he tells them not to, but does so himself. The questions arisen last night are: 1) In the second flash, would the group have come across themselves on the beach, ala there being multiple Martys in the mall parking lot in BTTF? 2) Was the introduction clip all there was to the Orchid, as in it was one of the flashes, or was that an upcoming scene that we just got a taste of?

Who were the flaming arrows coming from --- the original hostiles? Also, the troops who were going to cut off Juliet's hands are a new group (from the past, tho we don't know how far back). Were they British?

I was thinking the same thing about the time changing on the island and the Losties of the future seeing the Losties of the past, ala BTTF, thankfully they did not do that. It would have been too weird.

Then again, imagine the island with multiple Kates, multiple Claires & multiple Suns. :D

I'm wondering where those flaming arrows came from too. I do'nt think it was the troops who were going to cut off Juliet's hand, because they had guns. Why would they need arrows?

RA was expecting young Locke to pick the compass: RA to Locke as he's fixing his leg and after he handed him the compass, "The next time you see me, you won't know me."

Nitpicking, I know, but Alpert actually says, "Next time I see you, I won't know you," not the other way around. I don't think he was referring to their meeting when Locke was a child, if that's what you meant.

Nitpicking, I know, but Alpert actually says, "Next time I see you, I won't know you," not the other way around. I don't think he was referring to their meeting when Locke was a child, if that's what you meant.

I agree. And remember, at that time, Richard held out a number of objects looking for John to pick out the "right one." In Wednesday's episode, Richard GAVE John the compass, so the two actions don't match. I believe Richard gave John the compass for it to be his "constant" so that he'll be able to "rejoin" Richard when he needs him to.

I believe Richard gave John the compass for it to be his "constant" so that he'll be able to "rejoin" Richard when he needs him to.

Whoa!

The crazy thing about this show is Lindelhof supposedly had the entire series written before season 1.

Also, I think Sun wants to kill Jack. She was awkward when she asked Kate about him.

In progress! WOO HOO!

Spoiler Alert! This thread contains discussions about occurences and revelations in Season 5. If you are not caught up to Season 5, I highly urge you not to continue reading and to exit this thread now and go get caught up via DVD or whatever illegal practices you feel necessary. Namaste... and GOOD LUCK!

This show is starting to go off track. The episodes that highlight the characters off the island are downright dull. The characters lose their snap. The relationships, which make things so interesting on the island, disintegrate. I really wish they would get back to the island where the dynamics are SO much better. And some black smoke monsters and invisible howling behemoths wouldn't hurt, either! I'm still going to watch, but the overload of detail is getting tiresome.

Fringe on the other hand, rocks my socks off!

This show is starting to go off track. The episodes that highlight the characters off the island are downright dull. The characters lose their snap. The relationships, which make things so interesting on the island, disintegrate. I really wish they would get back to the island where the dynamics are SO much better. And some black smoke monsters and invisible howling behemoths wouldn't hurt, either! I'm still going to watch, but the overload of detail is getting tiresome.

Fringe on the other hand, rocks my socks off!

I watched the show a couple times and the plot interested me, but the characters did not. The leading lady is about as dull as they come, and the mad scientist guy is just way too much of a cliche for me. The whole thing bored me to death.

I watched the show a couple times and the plot interested me, but the characters did not. The leading lady is about as dull as they come, and the mad scientist guy is just way too much of a cliche for me. The whole thing bored me to death.

I'll bet you hate the Three Stooges, too! :flirt:

My wife feels about the same as you do about Fringe, but hangs in there and watches it with me anyway. I don't disagree about Olivia and Walter, and the whole thing is a cliche, but WTF....it's the kind of cliche that I find entertaining nonetheless.

You are correct, I did misquote but read on.

I agree. And remember, at that time, Richard held out a number of objects looking for John to pick out the "right one." In Wednesday's episode, Richard GAVE John the compass, so the two actions don't match. I believe Richard gave John the compass for it to be his "constant" so that he'll be able to "rejoin" Richard when he needs him to.

Though your theory may pan out, I am going to stick with mine. Alpert tells Locke that the next time they meet, Richard won't recognize him (because it is the past before they met). The compass he hands Locke is the same compass from the "Dalai Lama test" that Richard showed to a young John Locke. I don't believe it is a coincidence and I have no explanation why the next time they meet would be in Locke's past. But there's a whole lot of stuff on this show that produces a number of WTFs?? for me.

You are correct, I did misquote but read on.

Though your theory may pan out, I am going to stick with mine. Alpert tells Locke that the next time they meet, Richard won't recognize him (because it is the past before they met). The compass he hands Locke is the same compass from the "Dalai Lama test" that Richard showed to a young John Locke. I don't believe it is a coincidence and I have no explanation why the next time they meet would be in Locke's past. But there's a whole lot of stuff on this show that produces a number of WTFs?? for me.

Richard did this for a pretty good reason, I guess. Past-flash Ethan shot him and didn't believe Word One of what Locke was saying. No doubt Richard would have had to play it safe, too, and even if they didn't kill Locke, they'd lose all kinds of time that they don't have to spare. Then again, that last position of mine might be flat-wrong.

Thinking about the time-line, from what point did Richard originally go back to check on younger versions of Locke? We were only shown the flashback and we had no context. Did Richard see him back then w/o time travel? Did he time-travel there either when the Others first learned about Locke and his miraculous recovery... or time-travel when it first became apparent that Locke would be playing a major role in the group/taking over (in "The Man From Tallahassee")? Or does Richard go back after this point where he gave Locke the compass (b/c the Orchid would still be intact at the time of that flash point)?

It depends on that answer whether Richard giving Locke the compass would change anything from his past... such as young Locke having a link b/w 195_ and 2004, similar to what Desmond had b/w 1996 and 2004 in "The Constant" and this time choosing the compass in the test. Or was the test flashback what happens proceeding Richard giving Locke the compass and Richard being so disappointed? I guess we'll see.

Great thread as always, with lots of interesting scenarios. I've got a couple of small points/questions...

1. Since the island moves through time and space, and takes anything within its sphere with it, is it possible that at some other time jump the island just appeared under the Black Rock (on one of the Rock's voyages)? That could be how it was shipwrecked so far inland.

2. Since Richard said that the next time he sees Locke, he won't know him, doesn't this mean that Richard knows, or at least has his finger on the pulse of when the island will be skipping to next? He's shown the uncanny ability to find locke a few times after the skips. So while he might not know exactly "when" the island is going to, perhaps he knows in which direction they are going (past or future), and possibly roughly how far they are headed.

3. I believe Faraday is one of the original inhabitants of the islands, like Richard. He doesn't seem to age at all, comparing the dharma initiative to his lab in the 90's to the island in 2004. I wonder if he was somehow sent off the island in order to further study "time travel" and to further understand how the island moves through time or how the time loop exists. This could help richard and his group to further understand exactly what the hell is going on with the island.

Great thread as always, with lots of interesting scenarios. I've got a couple of small points/questions...

1. Since the island moves through time and space, and takes anything within its sphere with it, is it possible that at some other time jump the island just appeared under the Black Rock (on one of the Rock's voyages)? That could be how it was shipwrecked so far inland.

2. Since Richard said that the next time he sees Locke, he won't know him, doesn't this mean that Richard knows, or at least has his finger on the pulse of when the island will be skipping to next? He's shown the uncanny ability to find locke a few times after the skips. So while he might not know exactly "when" the island is going to, perhaps he knows in which direction they are going (past or future), and possibly roughly how far they are headed.

3. I believe Faraday is one of the original inhabitants of the islands, like Richard. He doesn't seem to age at all, comparing the dharma initiative to his lab in the 90's to the island in 2004. I wonder if he was somehow sent off the island in order to further study "time travel" and to further understand how the island moves through time or how the time loop exists. This could help richard and his group to further understand exactly what the hell is going on with the island.

1) Entirely possible. Also possible that the initial theory still stands that since the ship was carrying so much metal, the island's magnetic forces violently brought it in, and that it was so far inland is telling of how strong that force is/was? Desmond not pushing the button pulled 815 off course (no way of knowing how much of the thousand miles it might have been responsible for). Then again, how could the logbook have been "recovered by pirates" and kept by that family (I forget- was it the Hansos?) for so long before auctioning it? Unless it was stolen previous to an entrapping time-jump... just seems an odd thing to purposefully steal. Then, the Hansos auctioning it so that Widmore would buy it and use coordinates to find the island.

This begs the question of whether things that landed on the island would move with the island. Why would they not just sink after the island disappears?... but actually, that may have been covered by the raft not disappearing. Hmmm.

2) We just don't have enough to go on to even guess, at this point. Personally, I think it relates to the 'Dahli Lama' test that he gives to young Locke. Everything about how this show operates tells me that scene will be revisited.

I think it kind of plays in with Desmond. A new 'memory' delivered real-time to Desmond post-2001 is now going to influence his actions in 2007, but Faraday expects, due to Desmond's 'unique characteristics' that the knowledge he gains in 2007 will be known to him through the spectrum of his life (remember how Des smiled in 1996, knowing that the phone call works out in 2004). B/c Faraday can't predict with any certainty what time they're going to jump to next.

Likewise, I think the compass will deliver (or, Richard expects/hopes it will deliver) a window of this ability to see the whole spectrum for Locke. It again goes back to Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five" along with being 'slightly unstuck in time'... that the aliens in that book are aware of the fullness of time but are powerless to change anything. For them, things are as they always have been and always will be --- to wit, they cannot stop the destruction of their planet by something they created --- and the concept of ever-advancing time doesn't exist --- it's all one time.

3) I don't know what to think about that. My gut tells me no. The producers/writers did try to make JD look younger and his mannerisms in that 1996 flashback were different from his personality of the present that suggests aging. Also, if he were one of the original Hostiles, that would make him part of Richard's group, which would make him part of Ben's group, so why would he be joining a mission to capture Ben and inert one of Ben's weapons in the Tempest? I think Richard already knows very well what's happening to the island.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

A couple of things from the premiere that i don't think have been discussed yet.

1. When the island moved all the castaways moved with it. But the Others (original inhabitants) didn't. For example, Locke was standing with Richard and some others when the first move happened but only he moved with the island. Richard disappeared - where/when did he go? Richard came and found him after the fact.

2. Ben is leading Jack and the rest on a mission to get back to the island. He implies that he'll be going back with them. But didn't he say last season that once he moved the island, he would never be able to go back?

A couple of things from the premiere that i don't think have been discussed yet.

1. When the island moved all the castaways moved with it. But the Others (original inhabitants) didn't. For example, Locke was standing with Richard and some others when the first move happened but only he moved with the island. Richard disappeared - where/when did he go? Richard came and found him after the fact.

2. Ben is leading Jack and the rest on a mission to get back to the island. He implies that he'll be going back with them. But didn't he say last season that once he moved the island, he would never be able to go back?

1) We just don't know why.

2) Since when has Ben told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Another thing, we also don't know what's in the box that Ben took out of that hotel duct.