Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

Season 5 is in the books! Only one more season left... :huh:

Spoiler Alert! This thread contains discussions about occurences and revelations in Season 5. If you are not caught up to Season 5, I highly urge you not to continue reading and to exit this thread now and go get caught up via DVD or whatever illegal practices you feel necessary. Namaste... and GOOD LUCK!

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard again entered Locke’s life in 1961, when he visited the five-year-old while he was in foster care. Richard told Florence, John’s foster mother, that he considered John special enough to join a school for “very special” children. He tested Locke by presenting him with a baseball glove, a book of laws, a vial of sand, a compass, a comic book, and a knife. Locke was asked to identify which of these items were "already" his.

I got through re-watching all of the episodes before the new season begins and a couple of things have occurred to me.

I think I first starting forming it out last season, but I'm now sure that Christian Shepard was living his life like Desmond in the pivotal "Flashes Before The Eyes" (and "The Constant" to some degree) where Desmond travels back in time and must relive his life a second time doing the same things he did previously, with the further knowledge that whatever he tries to change will be "course corrected" anyway, so ultimately it won't matter. People connected to the show have said that's going to be one of the most important episodes as far as understanding what's going on.

My read is that Christian Shepard had lived his life previously and this was his second (third? fourth?) go-round. Hence, his reaction to his job eg when the boy died on his table, and when young Jack came home with a black eye for sticking up for his friend Mark Silverman. "I went home, had dinner and watched Carol Burnett until my sides hurt and how can I do that!?!? Huh? How can I do that?! Because I have what it takes. Don't try to be a hero, Jack." (I will also mention that in that scene, on his study wall, is a blurry picture of what looks like a tropical island). Christian is weary and turned to drink by knowing that his life essentially didn't mean squat until he got (back?) to the island. Anyone he saved on the operating table that wasn't supposed to be saved would just die next week in a... car accident or an elevator collapse. Contrast this with what we've seen of Christian in ghost-form on the island --- he's lead Jack to certain places and functions and "speaks for" Jacob, and he does this with purpose. It may have been in the LOST S4 thread where someone gave a really good synopsis on dead characters having to stay until their purpose is fulfilled. Hence, the discussion when Ben and Widmore met that it would be purposeless to hurt/kill each other --- the universe would still bring them to the island in some form.

I believe that each one of the Losties is in another go-round, even tho they may not realize it. The white-haired woman in the ring shop told Desmond, "I can always spot the first-timers." Some do seem to have awareness on some level, to the point that the island wants them to, e.g. Locke. And I think this is where Richard Alpert comes in, trying to test the young Lockes' ... how do you say... realization of the future? or perhaps mini-states of what happened to Desmond in "The Constant" that don't have the same physical effects (aneurysm, as Faraday said) on some people. The young Locke would then be expected by Richard to know which of the possessions were "his" in the future, just as Desmond c. 1996 would have known that Desmond c.2004 was wearing a blue shirt and had long hair and a beard.

Still don't know what exactly to make of Richard, tho. He is the only confirmed member of the island's original "hostiles." He appears to be 's said that Ben has gotten the Others off track of the larger goals... goals that he seems to think Locke will direct the Others toward. It's still to be seen whether his appearances in other places are the result of time travel or if he doesn't age.

Hope this post hasn't screwed with anyone's mind.

Tonight, LOST starts @ 8 with an hour-long recap/refresher of the first 4 seasons, followed by two hour-long episodes. It would be nice if ABC could leave the timeslot alone from now on. Looks like, starting next week, they will continue replaying the previous week's episode @ 8 p.m. and the new episode @ 9 p.m.

I got through re-watching all of the episodes before the new season begins and a couple of things have occurred to me.

I think I first starting forming it out last season, but I'm now sure that Christian Shepard was living his life like Desmond in the pivotal "Flashes Before The Eyes" (and "The Constant" to some degree) where Desmond travels back in time and must relive his life a second time doing the same things he did previously, with the further knowledge that whatever he tries to change will be "course corrected" anyway, so ultimately it won't matter. People connected to the show have said that's going to be one of the most important episodes as far as understanding what's going on.

My read is that Christian Shepard had lived his life previously and this was his second (third? fourth?) go-round. Hence, his reaction to his job eg when the boy died on his table, and when young Jack came home with a black eye for sticking up for his friend Mark Silverman. "I went home, had dinner and watched Carol Burnett until my sides hurt and how can I do that!?!? Huh? How can I do that?! Because I have what it takes. Don't try to be a hero, Jack." (I will also mention that in that scene, on his study wall, is a blurry picture of what looks like a tropical island). Christian is weary and turned to drink by knowing that his life essentially didn't mean squat until he got (back?) to the island. Anyone he saved on the operating table that wasn't supposed to be saved would just die next week in a... car accident or an elevator collapse. Contrast this with what we've seen of Christian in ghost-form on the island --- he's lead Jack to certain places and functions and "speaks for" Jacob, and he does this with purpose. It may have been in the LOST S4 thread where someone gave a really good synopsis on dead characters having to stay until their purpose is fulfilled. Hence, the discussion when Ben and Widmore met that it would be purposeless to hurt/kill each other --- the universe would still bring them to the island in some form.

I believe that each one of the Losties is in another go-round, even tho they may not realize it. The white-haired woman in the ring shop told Desmond, "I can always spot the first-timers." Some do seem to have awareness on some level, to the point that the island wants them to, e.g. Locke. And I think this is where Richard Alpert comes in, trying to test the young Lockes' ... how do you say... realization of the future? or perhaps mini-states of what happened to Desmond in "The Constant" that don't have the same physical effects (aneurysm, as Faraday said) on some people. The young Locke would then be expected by Richard to know which of the possessions were "his" in the future, just as Desmond c. 1996 would have known that Desmond c.2004 was wearing a blue shirt and had long hair and a beard.

Still don't know what exactly to make of Richard, tho. He is the only confirmed member of the island's original "hostiles." He appears to be 's said that Ben has gotten the Others off track of the larger goals... goals that he seems to think Locke will direct the Others toward. It's still to be seen whether his appearances in other places are the result of time travel or if he doesn't age.

Tonight, LOST starts @ 8 with an hour-long recap/refresher of the first 4 seasons, followed by two hour-long episodes. It would be nice if ABC could leave the timeslot alone from now on. Looks like, starting next week, they will continue replaying the previous week's episode @ 8 p.m. and the new episode @ 9 p.m.

So why did Alpert when visiting Locke as a child, say he "wasn't special" after Locke chose the knife?

So why did Alpert when visiting Locke as a child, say he "wasn't special" after Locke chose the knife?

Dunno. Apparently, it wasn't Locke's. That scene was an obvious reference to that Dahlia Lama movie. Perhaps it was just that the gift wasn't with him yet (also, I think Richard's words were that Locke "wasn't ready" with Locke's theme up to this point being that people tell him he's special but he didn't want to accept that he was/is special). B/c Richard made a subsequent attempt in Locke's teen years. It's just that Locke wasn't ready until now (c. December 2004).

Wow! Thanks for getting my brain in gear for another season of in-depth Lost minutia analysis. I think this season is going to be seriously f'ed up...and I'm looking forward to every minute of it! :worthy:

It will become evident tonight which object young Locke was supposed to pick up when RA interviewed him.

BTW UConnJ - Interesting theory but in all of the instances to which you refer, I can think of an alternative reason as to its purpose. But that is what makes the show unique.

Is next week's 8 pm show just the second hour from this week?

Holy crap.

Yep. That pretty much sums it up.

(SPOILERS FROM THIS WEEKS EPISODE AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO MISSED IT)

Lot's of stuff to chew on for the next week, but I'll reiterate what it says in my signature...I think Hugo is the key to everything (though we are continually reminded of Aaron's importance).

Some random thoughts in no particular order...

Don't you love when they start giving a lot of lines to a previously unheard of character (Neil)...you know what's coming for that person...it's just a matter of when and how. Death by flaming arrow...sweet.

Who the hell is that white haired woman? I know she's the same woman from the shop in London, but WHO is she? Is she Jacob in "the real world?" She certainly does seem to be running things there, much as Jacob does on the island.

Sun is now in cahoots with Widmore, or so it seems. Did she make a deal with him that would also give up the other sixers, especially since you can see that she does hold Kate responsible for Jin's death (despite what she said to Kate)?

Daniel is awesome...loving his character.

Classic Sawyer as always. I liked it when he called Charlotte "Ginger." Nice Gilligans Island reference. lol

Hugo very much enjoyed sticking it to Ben, though I think his "victory" will be short-lived.

Very surprised to see Anna Lucia, even in ghost form. How about her little comment to Hugo about Libby saying hi. Holy crap.

Just some random thoughts. Very much enjoyed the episode(s). I love when two hours feels like 10 minutes.

Great episode as usual. A lot to chew on. I think my favorite scene was when they where filming the orientation video. Gave us a little peak into the start of the Dharma people.

Going to be very confusing if the island is constantly jumping around in time but it's Lost so I expect it to be confusing.

Only complaint, not enough of scantily clad Kate!

The opening was a shocker, although I had a feeling this season we would learn more about Dr. Marvin Candle. Couple of revelations in the first show that posed new questions. Faraday obviously is holding some secrets about time travel and the Dharma initiative. One thing I thought was interesting was in the "Destiny Calls" pre-show Lindelhof said Hugo was the "heart and soul of the show". I never really thought of Hurley as much, but that's really interesting. I think the constant flipping back and forth in time on the island was insane. Is it going to keep doing this the entire season?

And something told me back in season 3 or 4 that the lady in the jewelry shop was going to be tied in more. She just has the mystique look on her face. Like Dr. Candle. And Widmore. And Dr. Alpert.

Who the hell is that white haired woman? I know she's the same woman from the shop in London, but WHO is she? Is she Jacob in "the real world?" She certainly does seem to be running things there, much as Jacob does on the island.

I think she's going to turn out to be Daniel's mother, who Desmond was told to find at Oxford. She seemed to be doing physics related things in the basement of that darkly lit church place.

I'm not sure how I feel about this whole "island moving in time" deal...the plot arcs are getting a little too sci-fi for my taste, but this still promises to be an awesome season...it's a character-driven show, and all the actors seem to be in top form.