Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

Great episode as usual. A lot to chew on. I think my favorite scene was when they where filming the orientation video. Gave us a little peak into the start of the Dharma people.

Going to be very confusing if the island is constantly jumping around in time but it's Lost so I expect it to be confusing.

Only complaint, not enough of scantily clad Kate!

I lost it for Kate we she had sex with Sawyer. I'll never forgive her. But Juliet on the other hand.... :lol:

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opening was a shocker, although I had a feeling this season we would learn more about Dr. Marvin Candle. Couple of revelations in the first show that posed new questions. Faraday obviously is holding some secrets about time travel and the Dharma initiative. One thing I thought was interesting was in the "Destiny Calls" pre-show Lindelhof said Hugo was the "heart and soul of the show". I never really thought of Hurley as much, but that's really interesting. I think the constant flipping back and forth in time on the island was insane. Is it going to keep doing this the entire season?

And something told me back in season 3 or 4 that the lady in the jewelry shop was going to be tied in more. She just has the mystique look on her face. Like Dr. Candle. And Widmore. And Dr. Alpert.

I'm certain Hurley can communicate with the dead, making him a pivotal cog a la Desmond (when Daniel said Desmond was unique, Hurley is in the same boat, just with different capabilities). I remember back in season 4 ep. 2 or thereabouts, when Hurley first saw Charlie, and Hurley said, "You can't be here, you're dead!" And Charlie replied, "I am dead. But I am also here. What does that tell you?"

I'm certain Hurley can communicate with the dead, making him a pivotal cog a la Desmond (when Daniel said Desmond was unique, Hurley is in the same boat, just with different capabilities). I remember back in season 4 ep. 2 or thereabouts, when Hurley first saw Charlie, and Hurley said, "You can't be here, you're dead!" And Charlie replied, "I am dead. But I am also here. What does that tell you?"

So the island only wants people who are "special", can we define or theorize what each person's "special"ness is? Or do you think it's just overall that person is "special"?

You kiddin? Sawyer's the freakin man...better him than whiny-boy Jack if you ask me.

Ah Jack was dealt some tough rope but he's the true alpha male. Sawyer takes what he can get. Jack holds out for better. Trust me, Kate would have had sex with Jack in season 1 if he would have pursued her.

I think she's going to turn out to be Daniel's mother, who Desmond was told to find at Oxford. She seemed to be doing physics related things in the basement of that darkly lit church place.

I think I'm going to agree with you on that...I can't imagine TWO older women in London being involved in this.

Assuming this is correct, then Daniel was a plant on Widmore's ship as he clearly wouldn't be working for Widmore if his mother is leading the other side. Ah, the plot thickens!

I think I'm going to agree with you on that...I can't imagine TWO older women in London being involved in this.

Assuming this is correct, then Daniel was a plant on Widmore's ship as he clearly wouldn't be working for Widmore if his mother is leading the other side. Ah, the plot thickens!

On a related note, it looked like she was doing experiments involving a Foulcault's Pendulum...is that, something to do with the earth's rotation, going to have something to do with the island's time travelling capabilities?

On a related note, it looked like she was doing experiments involving a Foulcault's Pendulum...is that, something to do with the earth's rotation, going to have something to do with the island's time travelling capabilities?

Given that the island has been professed to have a very strong eletro-magnetic pull, each time it moves, it must have some impact on the magnetic field associated with the earth itself. By using the pendulum, it would in theory be possible to determine the location of the magentic field anomaly or disturbance. I'm not a physisist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. :lol:

I think she's going to turn out to be Daniel's mother, who Desmond was told to find at Oxford. She seemed to be doing physics related things in the basement of that darkly lit church place.

I'm not sure how I feel about this whole "island moving in time" deal...the plot arcs are getting a little too sci-fi for my taste, but this still promises to be an awesome season...it's a character-driven show, and all the actors seem to be in top form.

I agree that she's Daniel's mother. As when Daniel stated that you can't change the past it reminded me of what she told Charlie about not being able to change the future.

To me one thing that was interesting was Charlotte's bloody nose and memory loss. So she could be end up dead soon unless she finds a constant.

The opening was a shocker, although I had a feeling this season we would learn more about Dr. Marvin Candle. Couple of revelations in the first show that posed new questions. Faraday obviously is holding some secrets about time travel and the Dharma initiative. One thing I thought was interesting was in the "Destiny Calls" pre-show Lindelhof said Hugo was the "heart and soul of the show". I never really thought of Hurley as much, but that's really interesting. I think the constant flipping back and forth in time on the island was insane. Is it going to keep doing this the entire season?

And something told me back in season 3 or 4 that the lady in the jewelry shop was going to be tied in more. She just has the mystique look on her face. Like Dr. Candle. And Widmore. And Dr. Alpert.

My wife had a hunch that the kid Dr. Candle was feeding at the beginning is the wise-cracking asian psychic that came with "Ginger" and Faraday.

She's either brilliant or just a little bit racist. :lol:

Duey, I'm not sure placing so much importance on Hurley is correct. For sure, one of the important people, but there are many. Each person has a special role to play. And then they die. It's like how Christian told Michael on the boat, "You can go now, Michael" right before it blows up. Hurley may be the 'heart/soul' of the show, but they've complimented and placed premium importance on several characters. The creators have said there's a little borrowing of "The Langoliers" how those things would come in and eat the past --- everything. On the island, it's a mix of "the universe course correcting" happenstances and the smoke monster attacking people whose roles are finished --- e.g. the pilot flew the plane, gave them the transceiver and said they were a thousand miles off course, and then he was... well, you know.

I had never liked Jeremy Davies characters before --- the pathetic, timid type ala in Saving Private Ryan, and Faraday is cut from the same bolt, only he's a physicist. I like how the character is developing tho, trying to protect the course of events thru time, but also being the hypocrite b/c he tells them not to, but does so himself. The questions arisen last night are: 1) In the second flash, would the group have come across themselves on the beach, ala there being multiple Martys in the mall parking lot in BTTF? 2) Was the introduction clip all there was to the Orchid, as in it was one of the flashes, or was that an upcoming scene that we just got a taste of?

As for the white-haired woman, Sage makes an interesting guess above of her being Faraday's mother. That's initially what I thought when seeing her do the calculations on the board. If that was real-time, she's found the new location of the island. She's in the basement of the abbey where Desmond was for a time. Even tho she was talking to Ben, we still don't know the extent of her connections, b/c it's never that simple, is it?

Then, to get to Halliwax, was his(?) baby born on the island? Cool to see some of the original Dharma construction and discovery of things already there. The wheel enclosed by solid friggin' rock... how the hell did it get there?

I Heart Shih-tzus. :lol: (Personally, I don't really like most small-dog breeds. Napolean complexes.). We finally see Frogurt and he's there for like 4 minutes.

I hated Ana Lucia's character. But I guess that was manufactured by design and with purpose, a woman who started off in the Sydney airport that you wanted to like, and then making all the wrong moves and appointing herself as a four-star general among people who didn't really (want to) listen to her, mainly her unilateralism and 'inability to connect with others.' This has mellowed. She, and all of the dead characters who've reappeared are still very much a part of the show, they have a higher level of understanding and connection as they reveal each small part of what the island wants them to reveal.

I think the constant flipping back and forth in time on the island was insane. Is it going to keep doing this the entire season?

Good question. I don't imagine that the island and the characters being 'unstuck in time' would last the entire season, but it may well take most of the season for the Oceanic Six to make it back to the island.

Who were the flaming arrows coming from --- the original hostiles? Also, the troops who were going to cut off Juliet's hands are a new group (from the past, tho we don't know how far back). Were they British?

So the island only wants people who are "special", can we define or theorize what each person's "special"ness is? Or do you think it's just overall that person is "special"?

Well, I don't know about that. I mean, I am pretty sure Hurley is a pivotal character, one with unique traits a la Desmond, but I don't know that the island "wants" him because of his abilities, per se. The island seems to be fine without Desmond, so there must be another reason it demands the Oceanic 6 + Locke.

As for the white-haired woman, Sage makes an interesting guess above of her being Faraday's mother. That's initially what I thought when seeing her do the calculations on the board. If that was real-time, she's found the new location of the island. She's in the basement of the abbey where Desmond was for a time. Even tho she was talking to Ben, we still don't know the extent of her connections, b/c it's never that simple, is it?

Who were the flaming arrows coming from --- the original hostiles? Also, the troops who were going to cut off Juliet's hands are a new group (from the past, tho we don't know how far back). Were they British?

I don't think it is the same abbey where Desmond was- she must be in LA, since that was where Ben was, correct? If that is the case, then she can't be Faraday's mother, because then she would be at Oxford (unless she's on sabbatical or something). My theory re: the British guys- Widmore's people from an earlier time, perhaps pre-Dharma.

My wife had a hunch that the kid Dr. Candle was feeding at the beginning is the wise-cracking asian psychic that came with "Ginger" and Faraday.

She's either brilliant or just a little bit racist. :)

NICE! I think that's dead on. On a couple of occassions, Miles has blown people off when asked what his deal is. And remember, he see's the dead too. And he seemed to know exactly where to go to get whatever animal it was he brought back for food. :lol:

More brilliance or racism from my wife...she thinks the British guy with the "Jones" nameplate that wanted to hack off Juliet's hand will end up being "Ginger's" father. I dunno.

NICE! I think that's dead on. On a couple of occassions, Miles has blown people off when asked what his deal is. And remember, he see's the dead too. And he seemed to know exactly where to go to get whatever animal it was he brought back for food. :lol:

I figured he just knew where it was because he can see dead things.

More brilliance or racism from my wife...she thinks the British guy with the "Jones" nameplate that wanted to hack off Juliet's hand will end up being "Ginger's" father. I dunno.

That reminds me of something...didn't Charlotte say last season that SHE had been born on the island? Am I remembering that correctly?

That reminds me of something...didn't Charlotte say last season that SHE had been born on the island? Am I remembering that correctly?

Miles actually intimated this last season when they were debating whether to go back to the freighter on the raft... something like 'Why would you go now when you've spent your whole life trying to get back?' Charlotte didn't dispute it.