Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

Charlotte Staples Lewis, huh...sounds like C.S. Lewis, the creator of narnia. Could the island be charlotte's narnia?

and this is from my girl on the topic...

"more creepy narnia things. in "the white witch" book, the evil white witch tempts edmund with turkish delight, a chocolate dish. before charlotte died, she said "i'm not supposed to have chocolate for dinner."

so...the island, or the white witch, tempted edmund to betray his family...same thing on lost. the island tempted her to come back.

"

very interesting! but as much as i love the hints and references hidden throughout the show, very few of them actually help answer any questions directly. they usually turn out to be more like tributes from the show's writers.

but good catch!

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Desmond for that matter? But I agree, they better deal with Walt- his appearance last season with Hurley leads me to believe they'll at least resolve his story, but through season 2 we were made to believe he'd be an integral part of the story, and now he's barely seen, let alone mentioned.

I am assuming that Walt's appearance to Locke came during a time-flash.... Walt has been curiously absent for awhile. Perhaps Ben and Eloise already have him on board?

good episode (i finally got a chance to watch it). a thought is that maybe Faraday is Charlotte's father? He says he loves her and people assume its the romantic love. But perhaps its the fraternal love, and thats why Faraday cares for her so much. It would explain how she remembers him from the island, and perhaps, charlotte and her mom left Faraday on the island when they took off.

Hmm. Something to keep in mind.

good episode (i finally got a chance to watch it). a thought is that maybe Faraday is Charlotte's father? He says he loves her and people assume its the romantic love. But perhaps its the fraternal love, and thats why Faraday cares for her so much. It would explain how she remembers him from the island, and perhaps, charlotte and her mom left Faraday on the island when they took off.

That's definitely possible. My current theory is that the people on the island now will be stuck in the time they are at- ie, the orchid does not exist, so pre- or during DI time- since Locke fixed the time-jump problem. That is where we will see Faraday interact with Candle (as in the season premier) and most likely interact with a young Charlotte.

Wow, OK, obviously they are leaving a ton of gaps to be filled in. This episode was more interesting to me for that reason than Jack's story, which was not all that compelling. What happened to Aaron? Why was Ben all bloodied? What happened to Sayid? How did Hurley get on board? And that guy that said, "My condolences," to Jack, he's got to be an insider a la Widmore, Abbadon, Ben, etc., correct? And last but not least, I did not see Jin coming at the end there- I assumed it would be past-Ben or past-Ben's dad. And why didn't the plane crash, but rather get "absorbed" or something? After next week's episode, which I think looks fantastic, there will be a one week break, so we are going to have to wait 3 weeks for some answers. I did not think they'd return to the island so quickly, which I assumed would be the season finale of this year, so that leaves me really excited to see where the show is going.

Wow, OK, obviously they are leaving a ton of gaps to be filled in. This episode was more interesting to me for that reason than Jack's story, which was not all that compelling. What happened to Aaron? Why was Ben all bloodied? What happened to Sayid? How did Hurley get on board? And that guy that said, "My condolences," to Jack, he's got to be an insider a la Widmore, Abbadon, Ben, etc., correct? And last but not least, I did not see Jin coming at the end there- I assumed it would be past-Ben or past-Ben's dad. And why didn't the plane crash, but rather get "absorbed" or something? After next week's episode, which I think looks fantastic, there will be a one week break, so we are going to have to wait 3 weeks for some answers. I did not think they'd return to the island so quickly, which I assumed would be the season finale of this year, so that leaves me really excited to see where the show is going.

The "my condolences" guy played the terrorist cell leader in "Vantage Point" which starred Matthew Fox. I would say that it's a pretty good bet that he might be one of the people who were shooting at Sawyer, Juliet, Locke, et al. in the canoe. Especially given the water bottle with that airline's logo.

That was pretty weird how the plane doesn't seem to have crashed. However, they were in 2007 and if the island was still in 2004 as they flew over, maybe it'll play out that the Oceanic 6 never existed... so the plane never existed. Or... The plane did exist, but the flash just plucked the O6 out, and whatever they were touching (as has been the case with the group left on the island)?

Maybe I'll just pose the question... what's happening with the Others through all of this? Their story was just dropped mid-season last year. Does the Temple offer a sanctuary from the temporal shifts?

Kate's reaction there near the beginning was pretty odd. That if she agreed to go, that Jack could never ask what she did with Aaron. Following, of course, from her dream where Claire told her, "Don't you dare bring him back!" I'm sure we'll find out. My guess is that she either gave him to Claire's mother, who was in LA... or... as the psychic said he found a couple in LA who could raise him. I think he wasn't lying about that, it just wasn't as direct a route as he made it out to be... but I think Kate may have given him to Hurley's parents. They're really the only ones left who fit that bill. Or am I wrong?

I never noticed about Christian's shoes. Pretty sure, thinking back, that it was pointed out and it just sifted right through the filter. If I remember rightly, there were a lot of scenes when Jack was first on the island ("White Rabbit" especially) where Christian's ghost had his head dropping down over his chest --- Looking down at his shoes?

I dunno. I'm just seeing Ben differently now after these episodes. He's still a weasel, of course. E.g. his "Who cares?" attitude when asked what's going to happen to the other people on the plane. This is not a man who believes in the Categorical Imperative. And he lied again... said he learned to read from his mother. It was a quip, but... still, his mother died at childbirth. He has such a neurosis about needing his story to match up with what appears to be some kind of prophesy, even tho it's a lie.

Jin in the van surprised me as well. I thought it was going to be Horace. We don't know what year it is on the island, but that thing is in like-new condition. This may be the point where Faraday shows up at the orchid and delivers his message to Charlotte.

He was at some sort of marina.

Desmond, Penny?

Whidmore?

Something to do with Aaron?

Found this Lost "316" :

• I was about to suggest that, for all our fears about Desmond being in a room with Ben, he managed to make it out unscathed. Then it occurred to me that Ben's promise to an old friend was almost certainly about him going after Penny -- Widmore being the only "old friend" we know of to whom Ben promised anything -- and I think about the blood on his face and I don't feel very good at all. Sonuvabitch.

Yeah. Looks like Ben followed Desmond, since he probably learned that he and Penny were together. I don't think we're going to like him when we find out what he did... and it may be the final straw for him re: the audience wanting to see Ben die. There's a lot of goodwill for Penny, we are protective of her, especially as mother to Charlie, and it looks like he did something pretty bad.

Obviously, Charley told him to be on board so he could bring back a new guitar... :lol:

I was a little surprised that Walt wasn't on board. But I think he will be getting to the island.

That was my thought exactly. I think he killed Penny and Desmond jacked him up a bit.

I think you're right... well, I don't think Ben actually killed penny, but was attempting to. Not only was he at a marina, but when Jack asked him where he was going as he was leaving the church, Ben replied, "I made a promise to an old friend of mine." I think he was referring to his promise to Widmore. Especially since he saw Desmond, he knows she's near.

The "my condolences" guy played the terrorist cell leader in "Vantage Point" which starred Matthew Fox. I would say that it's a pretty good bet that he might be one of the people who were shooting at Sawyer, Juliet, Locke, et al. in the canoe. Especially given the water bottle with that airline's logo.

That was pretty weird how the plane doesn't seem to have crashed. However, they were in 2007 and if the island was still in 2004 as they flew over, maybe it'll play out that the Oceanic 6 never existed... so the plane never existed. Or... The plane did exist, but the flash just plucked the O6 out, and whatever they were touching (as has been the case with the group left on the island)?

Maybe I'll just pose the question... what's happening with the Others through all of this? Their story was just dropped mid-season last year. Does the Temple offer a sanctuary from the temporal shifts?

Kate's reaction there near the beginning was pretty odd. That if she agreed to go, that Jack could never ask what she did with Aaron. Following, of course, from her dream where Claire told her, "Don't you dare bring him back!" I'm sure we'll find out. My guess is that she either gave him to Claire's mother, who was in LA... or... as the psychic said he found a couple in LA who could raise him. I think he wasn't lying about that, it just wasn't as direct a route as he made it out to be... but I think Kate may have given him to Hurley's parents. They're really the only ones left who fit that bill. Or am I wrong?

I never noticed about Christian's shoes. Pretty sure, thinking back, that it was pointed out and it just sifted right through the filter. If I remember rightly, there were a lot of scenes when Jack was first on the island ("White Rabbit" especially) where Christian's ghost had his head dropping down over his chest --- Looking down at his shoes?

I dunno. I'm just seeing Ben differently now after these episodes. He's still a weasel, of course. E.g. his "Who cares?" attitude when asked what's going to happen to the other people on the plane. This is not a man who believes in the Categorical Imperative. And he lied again... said he learned to read from his mother. It was a quip, but... still, his mother died at childbirth. He has such a neurosis about needing his story to match up with what appears to be some kind of prophesy, even tho it's a lie.

Jin in the van surprised me as well. I thought it was going to be Horace. We don't know what year it is on the island, but that thing is in like-new condition. This may be the point where Faraday shows up at the orchid and delivers his message to Charlotte.

Found this Lost "316" :

Yeah. Looks like Ben followed Desmond, since he probably learned that he and Penny were together. I don't think we're going to like him when we find out what he did... and it may be the final straw for him re: the audience wanting to see Ben die. There's a lot of goodwill for Penny, we are protective of her, especially as mother to Charlie, and it looks like he did something pretty bad.

I was a little surprised that Walt wasn't on board. But I think he will be getting to the island.

A few things:

Was the island in 2004? I know that's when the island started moving, but where and when was it when the ajira flight went down? I point to my previous post that they are in the time when DI was starting up, hence the Orchid and well not being there when Locke was going to turn the donkey wheel. My theory: the people on the island had to pretend like they were new DI recruits that had gotten lost and join the DI to survive.

Great question about the Others- Alpert's got them somewhere, but how they are effected by this I cannot guess.

Kate is acting extra-cryptic, especially with her conversation with Jack on the plane: "They bought a ticket... just because we are on the same plane does not mean we are together..." It's all very odd. I think something more traumatic happened with Aaron, for if she just gave him away to be safe, I don't think she would've been so hostile to the question of his whereabouts.

I doubt Penny's dead- I don't think Desmond would've let Ben live if Ben had been successful, unless Ben was able to knock Desmond out or somehow do away with (not kill) him.

I was really hoping for a Walt appearance. I'm holding a torch for him... what's the deal? I have faith in these writers that they won't just let his character and story slide, but I'm getting impatient.

Also, the doubting Thomas and Christ exchange with Ben and Jack- a little overt, don't you think? If the whole series turns out to be a complicated allegory for Christ's story, I'll be a little upset. It's too obvious, and difficult to do really well.

"We're not goin' to Guam, are we?"

Gotta love Lapidus! He's my favorite secondary character. Such great faces.

Obviously, Charley told him to be on board so he could bring back a new guitar... <_<

You may have said this in jest, but I'm thinking that you might be dead on. Think about it...Charley is probably the only person who could get Hurley to go back to the island...especially if he told Hurley that he would be there waiting for him and in need of a new guitar.

You may have said this in jest, but I'm thinking that you might be dead on. Think about it...Charley is probably the only person who could get Hurley to go back to the island...especially if he told Hurley that he would be there waiting for him and in need of a new guitar.

I agree 100%.

Also, the doubting Thomas and Christ exchange with Ben and Jack- a little overt, don't you think? If the whole series turns out to be a complicated allegory for Christ's story, I'll be a little upset. It's too obvious, and difficult to do really well.

ive had this same fear for a while now too. i dont THINK this will be the case, but with names like "Christian Shepherd" its kind of hard not to worry

I'm sure it ran along the same vein that Jack had to bring something of his father's to put in the coffin. As Eloise Hawking said, they had to re-create as many things of the original crash as possible. They had to bring items that the (maybe especially the missing) people have some connection to. Hurley brought a guitar case, as Charlie had with him on the flight. Sayid, presumably, had handcuffs on under the coat, as Kate had originally.

The more I think about the Walt situation, I guess it wasn't imperative for him to come back to stop the time flashes. They were happening b/c the O6 left. Walt had left (and was allowed to leave) some time before that. His case is unconnected with "Because You Left." Tho, I'm sure he will be back at some point. I'm just wondering why Aaron didn't need to come back, as he did leave the island out of utero --- but then again, Claire's apparition told Kate to not take him back, and seeing as she was with Christian et al., I guess that's the way they desire it.

Poor Desmond. Farraday makes him sail all the way to England just so Widmore can tell him to sail all the way to L.A. Then, when he gets there and delivers his message to Eloise, she says, "yeah I know that already--I'm workin' on it." WTF?

I'm still really wrapped up in this show, but we're now at a level of ridiculousness that is nuts. I'm curious to see what's next, but part of me wonders if "Moving The Island" is the next generation "Jumping The Shark."

One thing I'm enjoying a lot though is how everybody seems to be issuing warnings about not trusting everybody else.

I'm still really wrapped up in this show, but we're now at a level of ridiculousness that is nuts. I'm curious to see what's next, but part of me wonders if "Moving The Island" is the next generation "Jumping The Shark."

So you were cool with a paralyzed man walking, dead people coming back to life, smoke monsters and time travel, but an island moving pushed you over the edge?