Brady or Cassel?

My Dad came up this idea while we watching football today.

He thinks that the Pats* will Franchise Matt Cassell during the offseason.

He then thinks that both Cassell AND Tom Brady will be on the Trading block and whichever QB gets the best offer will be traded.

My brother thinks that nobody is buying Cassell, and therefore that this cannot happen because the Pats* can't afford to pay Cassell that kind of money to do nothing. The rebuttle here is that the Pats* are really trying to move Brady for a rediculous offer i.e. 1st rd Pick for the next couple of years plus a premium player and probably some middle round picks too.

I think (and my Dad) that Belicheat is crazy enough to do it (trade brady) and thinks he can plug anybody into his system and get success. Cassel has won 10 games and has the pats* on the verge of a playoff trip when everyone counted them out. He has had back to back 400 yard games this year and he threw for 345 in the snow today. Somebody would make an offer for Cassel as well IMO. Plus the pats* have pulled of trades like this before (Deion Branch comes to mind)

Is Belicheat that arrogant and heartless to sell Brady after all that they have accomplished together?

Thoughts?

He then thinks that both Cassell AND Tom Brady will be on the Trading block and whichever QB gets the best offer will be traded.

My brother thinks that nobody is buying Cassell, and therefore that this cannot happen because the Pats* can't afford to pay Cassell that kind of money to do nothing. The rebuttle here is that the Pats* are really trying to move Brady for a rediculous offer i.e. 1st rd Pick for the next couple of years plus a premium player and probably some middle round picks too.

I think (and my Dad) that Belicheat is crazy enough to do it (trade brady) and thinks he can plug anybody into his system and get success. Cassel has won 10 games and has the pats* on the verge of a playoff trip when everyone counted them out. He has had back to back 400 yard games this year and he threw for 345 in the snow today. Somebody would make an offer for Cassel as well IMO. Plus the pats* have pulled of trades like this before (Deion Branch comes to mind)

Is Belicheat that arrogant and heartless to sell Brady after all that they have accomplished together?

Thoughts?

no way you trade Brady. Crazy.

The Pats won't be able to trade Brady because of his pricetag (salary plus 1st round pick), because he's coming off a complicated surgery, and if they're trying to trade him, obviously there must be something wrong with him. If they franchise Cassel, no one is going to give him franchise-type money (which is what his agent will demand), much less trade a 1st rounder. He's not a top-10 QB, much less a top-5 QB.

They won't franchise Cassel. It would be way too risky.

If they did, every team would just wait it out because the Pats would KILL their cap having to commit over 30+ Million in QB position alone. They would have to cut Cassel in camp most likely and then teams could bid on him without the fear of losing a pick.

The Pats might THREATEN to tag him, but they won't ever actually do it and I doubt any NFL GM would fall for the bait.

They'll keep Brady and i think they'll try to trade Cassel to a team weak in the QB spot.

It's too much of a risk to slap the franchise tag on Cassel. If no one bites then they are on the hook for 14 million for their back-up QB. If this was going to happen, they would have been better off if it happened a year ago. But that may have been a moot point because I doubt that Cassel has this much success against a tougher schedule.

The Pats won't be able to trade Brady because of his pricetag (salary plus 1st round pick) and because he's coming off a complicated surgery, and if they're trying to trade him, obviously there must be something wrong witi him. If they franchise Cassel, no one is going to give him franchise-type money, much less trade a 1st rounder. He's not a top-10 QB, much less a top-5 QB.

On the surface, this would be the only reason Brady is traded. It's very possible that he won't the same QB after this injury, not to mention, we know the healing process was having setbacks earlier this year.

That said, I don't think it'll happen, but I also think Belichick is arrogant and crazy enough to do it.

I can see it now....Favre retires, then unretires again, but signs with the Vikings only after Brady ends up being traded to the Jets for their 1st in 2009 & 2010. :angry:

Would the Pats trade Brady? Thats the big debate we're having... My dad and I think that Belicheck is arrogant enough to trade Tom Brady and move forward with Matt Cassell... Digest that and get back to me...

I seriously think he is arrogant enough to do it.

I don't know if he will, but keep it on the radar.

Thoughts?

Listen, I hate Brady with the best of them. But if I were a pats fan, let me see Cassell produce in the playoffs and in the super bowl to the level that Brady has before we trade him away.

If someone is going to offer 3 1st round picks or whatever kind of absurd package, then the Pats would almost have to consider that deal.

As a Bills fan, I would sacrifice our 3 next 1st round picks for a P. Manning or Brady. Instant playoffs for the next 5 years.

Maybe it'll be just like last time. We play the Pats* at the end of the season, front office likes the way Cassell throws in the snow and makes an offer during the draft. Two days later, Buffalo welcomes the start of the Cassell Era.

The Patriots have won 3 rings and came close to a 4th last year (not to mention a perfect regular season) with Brady. Unless they somehow MAKE the playoffs and at least make the AFC championship game, I can't see any way that they could even think about dumping Brady. I think the Pats miss out on the playoffs, Cassel goes somewhere for big $ next year and is average, and Brady is back in action next year.

That's what sucks even more about our collapse this year. Everything was right there for us to step up and become great competition for the division crown and we blew it. Even if we made the playoffs and lost 1st round, we still would have to be respected next year. Instead, we've made no progress and appear to be the "same 'ol Bills". Throw in the turnaround of the Fish and Jets and it adds salt to the wound.

On the FA Market he does, but we're saying the Pats* FRANCHISE him so that he doesn't walk for free...

If they "FRANCHISE" him, they w/b on the hook for aprox $20-25 mil of their salary cap AT ONE POSITION! Then, of course you would trade the QB, Brady, that has absolutely made the Cheatriots what they are, which is the dominant team in the league for, I don't know, the past 5-6 years? Yea, this is a really well thought out plan. Now, they might TRANSITION him, allowing them to get something for him (Cassel) when he leaves. But leave he will. Bank on it.

how did this thread get this far without the original post being BOMBARDED for it's absurdity. i am sure hamdan's revenge's dad is a hell of a good guy, but there is NO WAY IN HELL the patriots start next season with anyone other than brady at qb. i mean...unless he tears his other knee in half or something. and cassel is about to strike it rich on the OPEN MARKET. not as a franchise player.

i mean think about it- belichek has already turned a total nobody in brady into a hall-of-famer, and turned another nobody in cassel into a soon-to-be multi-multi-millionaire. do you think there is ANY doubt in his mind that he can't just draft another nobody and win 11 or 12 games with him whenever he needs to?

this place... :worthy::angry:

If they "FRANCHISE" him, they w/b on the hook for aprox $20-25 mil of their salary cap AT ONE POSITION! Then, of course you would trade the QB, Brady, that has absolutely made the Cheatriots what they are, which is the dominant team in the league for, I don't know, the past 5-6 years? Yea, this is a really well thought out plan. Now, they might TRANSITION him, allowing them to get something for him (Cassel) when he leaves. But leave he will. Bank on it.

By transitioning him, they can only get right of first refusal. It's either (unlikely) franchise him or (likely) let him walk.

how did this thread get this far without the original post being BOMBARDED for it's absurdity. i am sure hamdan's revenge's dad is a hell of a good guy, but there is NO WAY IN HELL the patriots start next season with anyone other than brady at qb. i mean...unless he tears his other knee in half or something. and cassel is about to strike it rich on the OPEN MARKET. not as a franchise player.

i mean think about it- belichek has already turned a total nobody in brady into a hall-of-famer, and turned another nobody in cassel into a soon-to-be multi-multi-millionaire. do you think there is ANY doubt in his mind that he can't just draft another nobody and win 11 or 12 games with him whenever he needs to?

this place... :wallbash::worthy:

My dad is a good guy you :angry::censored:

haha we were all fighting about it so i figured id ask all my informed sports fans :huh:

Thoughts?

kinda seems like how we got Bledsoe--except for the fact the Brady is not washed up and at the end of his career

I seriously think he is arrogant enough to do it.

I don't know if he will, but keep it on the radar.

Me, too.

While I don't think BB will trade Tommy, I truly believe he will seriously consider it.

The answer is clear. You keep the better QB (Cassel). And you trade the QB who will get you the most draft picks (Brady). Yes, I know I called Cassel better than Brady, and that is because he is. Go ahead and quote NFL live commentators to tell me how wrong I am, I dont care, Cassel>Brady.

The answer is clear. You keep the better QB (Cassel). And you trade the QB who will get you the most draft picks (Brady). Yes, I know I called Cassel better than Brady, and that is because he is. Go ahead and quote NFL live commentators to tell me how wrong I am, I dont care, Cassel>Brady.

While that is simply silly, it might be true if Brady doesn't fully recover from his multiple surgeries.

Compare Brady last year to Cassel this year. Not even close.

I believe Tim Graham has brought this up before. To me, Cassell's performance just diminishes Tom Brady's accomplishments. I am not saying that Brady is not a great QB, but perhaps being a QB for the Patriots is like being a RB for the Broncos, a great system makes the right above average QB look awesome.

If Belichick is really as arrogant as we believe he is, he will trade BOTH Brady and Cassel in the offseason. He'll then draft Oklahoma's backup QB in the 7th round (I don't who that is, but it doesn't matter, as long has he hasn't started a game since Pop Warner) and name him starter.

He'll use all the first round draft picks he receives to draft tight ends and DTs (who he will move to defensive end). Somewhere in the first three rounds, he'll pick a LB that he'll start at fullback. During the draft he'll deliberately ignore running backs, preferring to sign a former Bills RB to a league-minumim contract (my guess is that it will be Omon).

Yep, Bellichick is that arrogant.

:angry::worthy::huh::censored:

Tell you what: if for some reason the Pats go deep in the playoffs, maybe make the Super Bowl or something, I can see the Cheat choosing Cassel instead of Brady. He's made that type of move before (Milloy, Bledsoe, Vinatieri, for three quick examples), and he's been successful, so he won't be shy about doing it again (whether or not it ultimately proves to be a good move). Plus, the Cheat will have information about Brady's health that no one else will have.

Without a deep playoff run, forget it. Brady will return.

The Pats will tag Cassell knowing that they'll have as many as 10 serious suitors for Cassell's services. With so many teams in dire need of a top QB the Pats won't have to worry about having all of them "wait them out". You'll see a bunch of QB needy (read lousy and unattractive to play for) teams jumping up to the head of the line so that they don't miss out on the opportunity of getting hold of Cassell before he's free and clear to sign with more attractive teams.

My guess is the Pats will trade Cassell to the Lions for the #1 overall pick in the 2009 draft. Or some combo of similar value spread out over a couple years

If you are the Lions and are thinking about taking either QB Bradford or Stafford 1st overall and then paying one of them the money that the 1st overall gets (ie. 6 years, $70 million, with $35 million in guarantees) then you'd be crazy not to jump all over an already proven, very good and experienced NFL QB like Cassell instead of taking a huge gamble on an unproven college kid who will not likely pay dividends for some time. Cassell will step in and start and be a top QB right away. Very few rookie QB's do so.

The Pats will tag Cassell knowing that they'll have as many as 10 serious suitors for Cassell's services. With so many teams in dire need of a top QB the Pats won't have to worry about having all of them "wait them out". You'll see a bunch of QB needy (read lousy and unattractive to play for) teams jumping up to the head of the line so that they don't miss out on the opportunity of getting hold of Cassell before he's free and clear to sign with more attractive teams.

My guess is the Pats will trade Cassell to the Lions for the #1 overall pick in the 2009 draft.

If you are the Lions and are thinking about taking either QB Bradford or Stafford 1st overall and then paying one of them the money that the 1st overall gets (ie. 6 years, $70 million, with $35 million in guarantees) then you'd be crazy not to jump all over an already proven, very good and experienced NFL QB like Cassell instead of taking a huge gamble on an unproven college kid.

Cassel (one "l") is far from proven and won't have the likes of Moss and Welker to throw to, much less the Pats' O-line, much less their rushing attack, in Detroit. That will be taken into account when teams (read: Detroit) weigh whether they want to spend $14M a year and a huge signing bonus on him. And most likely, they won't, regardless of what a QB picked 1st overall pick would get (if that were any consideration, the Raiders would have traded their 1st rounder overall for Matt Schaub in 2007). And the only comparison is with the 1st overall pick, since after that the contracts are WELL below what a franchise player would demand, as Cassel's agent surely will if he's franchised.

And besides, do you think that the Pats would trade for the 1st overall and have to pay that amount of money? No way.

And besides, do you think that the Pats would trade for the 1st overall and have to pay that amount of money? No way.

If the Pats* traded for a #1 pick, they would likely deal that for more picks, or a player and picks.