RIP Matt Kofler

duey

• 3 weeks later...
Way too young...had a great game against Oakland in the 80's, during the game the defense had a chance to be the first to blosck a Ray Guy punt but ended up sacking him instead

I remember that game - at least I think it's the same one I remember. I went to a Raiders game in the early 80's, toward the end of Joe Ferguson's tenure. He was knocked out with a concussion and Matt Kofler came in and led a great comeback to send it in overtime. The Raiders won in OT. To add salt to the wound, our car was towed, so it took me forever to get home.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...erback-kofler-/

Matt died yesterday of an undisclosed illness.

We (I) may kid when looking back at those dark post-Joe, pre-Kelly days, but Matt played hard on a bad team in some bad losses.

RIP :unsure:

RIP - it's sad that both Kofler and Ferguson suffer(ed) from very serious illnesses. Just goes to show that in the end even elite athletes are as human as everyone else. I hope Fergy remains in remission and rip to Kofler.

Holy Crap - terrible news. He was once married to a girl I went to high school with. Probably like 20 years ago now I had beers with him one night - we talked for a while about the crappy Bills teams of the 80's (he said Ken Baby Johnson was one of his favorites)... I will also always remember when we drafted him - I had this random San Diego State T-shirt from Champion that I always used to wear in HS - so I thought it was cool we drafted a QB from there

RIP

Sad,Sad news. I always thought with a better surounding cast he would have been pretty good. The oline and coaching was terrible on those mid eighties teams. I can't believe he is dead at 49. God rest his soul.

Not do be an ass or anything...but what are you talking about? Kofler never even started a game in Buffalo...he backed up Joe Ferguson, one of the good QB's in Bills history. IIRC, the highlight of his career (or at least his Buffalo career) was in almost leading the Bills back from about 28 points down, against the Raiders, at Rich, after Fergy was injured in the game. He may have started a game or two for the Colts, but I don't even think he did that...

Kofler was a second round draft pick, and, I hate to say it, was pretty much a bust. When Fergy was looking old, and the Bills were looking for someone to unseat him, Kofler couldn't do it...they ended up shipping off Fergy to Detroit in the offseason between 1984 and 1985, Kofler was cut, and they traded for Vince Ferragamo. Those weren't great Bills teams by any means, but the worst was yet to come...not sure if some of you are mistaking Matt Kofler for Bruce Mathison, another San Diego guy, who battled with Joe Dufek for the starting job, on those really bad mid-80's teams....

nonetheless, RIP Matt....

Not do be an ass or anything...but what are you talking about? Kofler never even started a game in Buffalo...he backed up Joe Ferguson, one of the good QB's in Bills history. IIRC, the highlight of his career (or at least his Buffalo career) was in almost leading the Bills back from about 28 points down, against the Raiders, at Rich, after Fergy was injured in the game. He may have started a game or two for the Colts, but I don't even think he did that...

Kofler was a second round draft pick, and, I hate to say it, was pretty much a bust. When Fergy was looking old, and the Bills were looking for someone to unseat him, Kofler couldn't do it...they ended up shipping off Fergy to Detroit in the offseason between 1984 and 1985, Kofler was cut, and they traded for Vince Ferragamo. Those weren't great Bills teams by any means, but the worst was yet to come...not sure if some of you are mistaking Matt Kofler for Bruce Mathison, another San Diego guy, who battled with Joe Dufek for the starting job, on those really bad mid-80's teams....

nonetheless, RIP Matt....

My records show that he started one game while playing with Indy in 1985: November 24 against the Chiefs.

That is it for his career. You are correct about not starting while in Buffalo.