A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

That about sums his career in a nutshell. Always trying to make a play. And more often than not, it bites him in the ass. But, you cannot forgive Peters for his whiff or Jauron for the playcall. The way we were running the ball, no reason to stop. We had 2 plays to gain 5 yards and the game would have effectively been in the bag. If you want to pass, had they called a quick slant to Evans or some type of quick hitter to a TE, sure, why not. But an outlet pass to a FB with 3 career receptions? You simply cannot place all the blame on JP for that play.

NO!

NO!!!

Peters is a pro bowler. We need to lock him up long term with a great big raise.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO!

NO!!!

Peters is a pro bowler. We need to lock him up long term with a great big raise.

That joke was funny the first time.

It was also funny the second time.

At about the 10,000th time, it ceases to be funny.

Peters would not have made any noise about his contract if your hero Marv had actually drafted linemen instead drafting sloths like McCargo and overpaying for marginal ones in free agency.

Now that he is the 3rd highest player on the line, he feels underpaid and justifiably so.

But, you cannot forgive Peters for his whiff or Jauron for the playcall.

Of course, but fortunately or unfortunately, the QB is held to a much higher standard than anyone else on the field. In his fifth year, JP has to know better.

That about sums his career in a nutshell. Always trying to make a play. And more often than not, it bites him in the ass. But, you cannot forgive Peters for his whiff or Jauron for the playcall. The way we were running the ball, no reason to stop. We had 2 plays to gain 5 yards and the game would have effectively been in the bag. If you want to pass, had they called a quick slant to Evans or some type of quick hitter to a TE, sure, why not. But an outlet pass to a FB with 3 career receptions? You simply cannot place all the blame on JP for that play.

It really was a bad play call. Rolling out and moving the pocket for a short pass may be a safe play against a vanilla defense, but the Jets were in an all-out blitz to stop the run and get bodies flying around in the backfield. Rolling out necessarily means the ball is in the backfield longer than normal: any QB has to take the snap, take a drop, and run towards the sideline. That takes time. Against a jail break blitz, where the defense is sending more guys than you can block, the one thing the QB doesn't have is time to dance around in the backfield. The design of the play was even more fugtarded when you realize that the play action bite was only half-baked. The running backs do not sell the run by crashing the line, but rather angle across the formation to chip block and get out for the pass in the flat. The defense doesn't even bite one iota on the play action. They just cave the whole thing in.

You are correct that an aggressive play call against that defense would have been a 3 step drop and get the ball out and over the wave of the Jets defense or a deeper drop with a hard-core play action and you probably hit someone that is either uncovered or man covered and if he makes the play, it's a home run throw.

I like the kid, but honestly ... could there be a more fitting ending?

I agree. He really IS a nice kid. When he first came to Buffalo, I was really hoping he was the answer to our QB problems. Unfortunately, that hope died in his second year (at least for me).

Also I was really hoping Jauron had gotten it together this year, but that balloon has also popped.

This team that I love almost cannot be any worse.

Where is Gary Marangi?

I am more amazed how Jauron was able to disappear from the sidelines to the crowd...........I guess if I had made a call like that I would want to disappear as well. Watch at the 20 second mark, Jauron magically appears sitting in the stands wearing a Jets hat. Hopefully, he will reveal how he made that happen, or maybe it was just a look alike.

SILENCE! I keel you!

I agree. He really IS a nice kid. When he first came to Buffalo, I was really hoping he was the answer to our QB problems. Unfortunately, that hope died in his second year (at least for me).

Also I was really hoping Jauron had gotten it together this year, but that balloon has also popped.

This team that I love almost cannot be any worse.

Where is Gary Marangi?

Gary is currently the Dean of Patchouge-Medford High School in Medford, NY

Assuming this is current...link

Again, with 2 minutes and 6 seconds left, you do have a great opportunity to call for a pass to catch the defense off guard and without running the risk of losing control of the clock.

JDG

True.

IF you have a quarterback.

how was Peters today?

(hint--i'm thinking of a particular play with 2:06 left. you could say it was the critical play of the game)

Actually, if you read any of the articles posted on the front page, you would know that the Jets brought all 11 on the blitz for that play. The Jets player that made the sack was unaccounted for in the blocking scheme; the play was designed to roll away from the pressure. Peters actually did his job on that play: block the end, and chip the blitzer, who, if we had a real QB on the field, never would have gotten to the ball.

Actually, if you read any of the articles posted on the front page, you would know that the Jets brought all 11 on the blitz for that play. The Jets player that made the sack was unaccounted for in the blocking scheme; the play was designed to roll away from the pressure. Peters actually did his job on that play: block the end, and chip the blitzer, who, if we had a real QB on the field, never would have gotten to the ball.

I didn't read the articles. I watched the play, over and over and over, at this link. Peters did neither of the things you suggest, because the end was inside Calvin Pace (who was picked up by Dockery), and got caught up behind the Preston/Jenkins collision. Elam was the only guy outside Pace, but he was simply too fast for Peters to catch.

He told Dierdorf and Gumbel that he was trying to put together a "highlight reel" so he could be more attractive to his next team.

To borrow a JP-ism.... 'Sometimes you hold onto the ball too long hoping to resurrect your career. Whoops!'

I didn't read the articles. I watched the play, over and over and over, at this link. Peters did neither of the things you suggest, because the end was inside Calvin Pace (who was picked up by Dockery), and got caught up behind the Preston/Jenkins collision. Elam was the only guy outside Pace, but he was simply too fast for Peters to catch.

You are 100 percent correct. Not one of Peters' finer efforts. That said, he's been playing pretty well of late, overall.

The biggest disconcerting fact is that JP's bad play isn't the reason we are 6-8 and are missing the playoffs, AGAIN, and his leaving in 2 months isn't going to make everything better.

Uh let's see, JP Losman put together six quarters of football against the Niners and Dolphins with a whopping two FG's to show for them, he then got a 3 point lead in the Meadowlands against the Jets with 2:10 left and then managed to produce not one, not two, but *three* turnovers before the game ended.

But oh no, its not *JP's* bad play that we are 6-8 and are missing the playoffs. Far from it!

You gotta be kidding me.

O.k. obviously the Bills may still well have missed the playoffs this year had JP never played this year - but it is *inarguable* (except perhaps to the most devoted JP Losman fanatics) that JP deserves a heaping pile of blame for the last three losses.... three losses which dropped us from 6-5 and in it to 6-8 and out of it.

JDG

Uh let's see, JP Losman put together six quarters of football against the Niners and Dolphins with a whopping two FG's to show for them, he then got a 3 point lead in the Meadowlands against the Jets with 2:10 left and then managed to produce not one, not two, but *three* turnovers before the game ended.

But oh no, its not *JP's* bad play that we are 6-8 and are missing the playoffs. Far from it!

You gotta be kidding me.

O.k. obviously the Bills may still well have missed the playoffs this year had JP never played this year - but it is *inarguable* (except perhaps to the most devoted JP Losman fanatics) that JP deserves a heaping pile of blame for the last three losses.... three losses which dropped us from 6-5 and in it to 6-8 and out of it.

JDG

I completely forgot. It was trent's edwards stellar play against miami, the jets, new england, the browns, and the 1st half against the 49ers (where he put up a whopping 0 points) that were leading us on the path to the playoffs. Blame JP all you want (although i learned long ago that your opinion about QB play is essentially worthless) for the last 2 losses, but Trent was a big reason as to why 5-1 turned into 6-6. The season was bumble!@#$ed away long before JP took a snap against miami or the jets, has little to do with the QB play (which has been awful no matter whether its #5 or #7 back there) and anyone that thinks otherwise is a complete fool.

Then again, a complete moron like yourself would think that we were doing ok at 6-6 and the season was all fine and dandy until JP had to start. :doh:

I completely forgot. It was trent's edwards stellar play against miami, the jets, new england, the browns, and the 1st half against the 49ers (where he put up a whopping 0 points) that were leading us on the path to the playoffs. Blame JP all you want (although i learned long ago that your opinion about QB play is essentially worthless) for the last 2 losses, but Trent was a big reason as to why 5-1 turned into 6-6. The season was bumble!@#$ed away long before JP took a snap against miami or the jets, has little to do with the QB play (which has been awful no matter whether its #5 or #7 back there) and anyone that thinks otherwise is a complete fool.

Then again, a complete moron like yourself would think that we were doing ok at 6-6 and the season was all fine and dandy until JP had to start. :doh:

Uhhh..... the Bills were 6-5 when Trent Edwards got hurt.

And 6-5 teams get better and make the playoffs all the time. Look at the improvement in our running game the last two weeks. I also believe that the KC game showed that Edwards was getting better as well (at least until he got hurt.) I won't say that "all was fine and dandy", but 6-5 isn't out of it either - unless of course you are either someone trying to whitewash JP Losman's abysmal performance as our #2 QB this season, or else Wade Phillips. ;-)

JDG

And 6-5 teams get better and make the playoffs all the time. Look at the improvement in our running game the last two weeks. I also believe that the KC game showed that Edwards was getting better as well (at least until he got hurt.) I won't say that "all was fine and dandy", but 6-5 isn't out of it either - unless of course you are either someone trying to whitewash JP Losman's abysmal performance as our #2 QB this season, or else Wade Phillips. ;-)

JDG

You think one performance against one of the worst teams in the league showed that Edwards was "getting better"?

We had a stellar rushing performance against Cleveland too, what happened there?

Losman stunk up the joint, no question. But given the funk that Edwards has been in for virtually all of this losing streak, I can't say I would've had any more confidence with him in there. I have deep concerns about the QB situation for the Bills.

JDG

The Bills were 6-5 and losing when Trent went down with a mysterious groin injury on the last play of the first half. In MLB, they credit the pitcher with a loss in that situation.

Kind of interesting that Trent hasn't gone a season yet without some sort of injury that's cost him starts... where did I read that prediction before? :doh:

Here are some thoughts from me about yesterday- for what they are worth.

The defensive line is in worse shape. Our defense is supposed to be built around a stout middle and small, quick DE's. Our ends have a slow first step- they are ok once they get going, but by then its too late...we aren't usually playing from ahead anyways.

Kelsay has a decent enough first step, it's more he engages and can't disengage to get by. Also he has too few moves to unsettle a tackle. They drop back a step or so and lock on.

Schobel is quick, has a nice lean and rip to the outside, but can't square off that edge enough to be more productive as strength is needed to do this- hard at 110kg, the tackles lean him around. But he is or was quick and does get low on that edge.

Denney's 6'7", can get into the passing lane and stick up a mit. Terrific. I'm not sure why someone's teaching him the spin move when it's employed to the outside, how much longer can it take to get to the QB when you take the longest route possible. He's not fast enough when he gets going.

I'd say coaching is really lacking here. <_<

Denney should be a 3rd down left end- period. If you don't get there, stick your hand up. Move him into DT if you like, but stick your hand up. Really obvious passing downs too. Actually, don't employ a 3 point stance, just stand there with your hands up and wave a lot...

Kelsay needs some moves away from the tackle not straight into him. Has no real lean like Schobel. Once he gets going it's too late! Sit down in the off season and show him Bruce Smith's highlight reel... it's long and should take him to training camp!

Schobel needs more lower body strength- shorten that corner. A few more counters- how many years has that been a request? He can beat a slow tackle to that corner, lean and get there, but if he gets caught, it's a long ride ticket to the outside.

...strength training's an issue- is that taking us back to Rusty Jones again. Damn.

Can we sign BS as a defensive pass rush coach. :sick: Wasn't Jim Jeffcoat around here awhile back in some sort of coaching matter after playing... or was that elsewhere I'm thinking. The attention to detail to the pass rush looks to an outsider as just- bad. I remember watching Derrick Thomas under Schotenheimer and how Marty was coaching him on setting up the tackles with different techniques. I watch some of the rushes and am confused as to what the intent was. Maybe the offense scores too quickly for that to occur... d'oh. I went there! :doh:

You think one performance against one of the worst teams in the league showed that Edwards was "getting better"?

We had a stellar rushing performance against Cleveland too, what happened there?

Losman stunk up the joint, no question. But given the funk that Edwards has been in for virtually all of this losing streak, I can't say I would've had any more confidence with him in there. I have deep concerns about the QB situation for the Bills.

With regards to the Cleveland game, if Reggie Corner makes that sack, McKelvin makes that pick, or Lindell makes that kick we would have been talking about Edwards' growing maturity to overcome mistakes and pull out a win.

We'll never know of the KC game was just a blip, or an example of Edwards turning the corner, since he managed to get hurt at some point at the end of that game or the start of the next one. I will point out, though, its not like the Chiefs are or were giving up 50 points a game. In fact, in the previous four weeks the Chiefs had taken the Jets to the wire in New York (lost by 4, game ended with the Chiefs turning it over on downs in Jets territory), taken the Tampa Bay Bucs to overtime, and lost to the Chargers in San Diego by going for 2 at the end (and failing) instead of kicking the PAT.

JDG

NO!

NO!!!

lol!

he has some bad consistency issues. i wonder if he gets a new contract this year? i bet he doesn't, and he actually shows up anyhow.

nothing excuses jp tho, worst nfl qb to ever get 30 starts