A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

Uhhh..... the Bills were 6-5 when Trent Edwards got hurt.

And 6-5 teams get better and make the playoffs all the time. Look at the improvement in our running game the last two weeks. I also believe that the KC game showed that Edwards was getting better as well (at least until he got hurt.)

I think the improved play of Leodis McKelvin is another example of how players and teams can get better as the season goes on.

Another great example is the Philadelphia Eagles: at 5-5-1 they had just had a *tie* with the Cincinnati Bengals and been blown out by the Baltimore Ravens. Now they're the team that nobody wants to play.

JDG

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That joke was funny the first time.

It was also funny the second time.

At about the 10,000th time, it ceases to be funny.

Peters would not have made any noise about his contract if your hero Marv had actually drafted linemen instead drafting sloths like McCargo and overpaying for marginal ones in free agency.

Now that he is the 3rd highest player on the line, he feels underpaid and justifiably so.

WRONG!

It's funny every time. Every single time.

Even funnier is your claim to have extra-sensory powers, and the ability to predict what PayMe Peters would have done! Where do I get me one of those crystal balls? :lol:

(Your knack for hyperbole is almost as funny - 3000 posts sine 2003, yet I made the joke 10,000 times??? <_< )

WRONG!

It's funny every time. Every single time.

Even funnier is your claim to have extra-sensory powers, and the ability to predict what PayMe Peters would have done! Where do I get me one of those crystal balls? :lol:

(Your gift for hyperbole is almost as funny - 3000 posts sine 2003, yet I made the joke 10,000 times??? <_< )

You are forgetting one important aspect of The Play Honerable Senator. Abram Elam was hustling on the play. Peters has been playing great (his words) but he's run into trouble with players that hustle (also his words). You can't expect all world & contract renegotiation worthy left tackles to perform against a hustling player. You simply cannot.

And...your math is a bit fuzzy, but I think some of those attributed slams have somehow migrated to my post count.

I agree. He really IS a nice kid. When he first came to Buffalo, I was really hoping he was the answer to our QB problems. Unfortunately, that hope died in his second year (at least for me).

Also I was really hoping Jauron had gotten it together this year, but that balloon has also popped.

This team that I love almost cannot be any worse.

Where is Gary Marangi?

I am not trying to be a wiseguy here. How do you know he is a nice kid? Do you personally know him. B y most reports, he did not get along with teammates @ UCLA, did not get along with teammates at Tulane(look at the RBs comments of his former teammate @ Tulane that played for Minn), & he gets here & one of the most respected players in the entire league takes a cheap shot at him due to his cocky attitude. My point is noone knows him, personal feelings should be put aside. The guy is one of the worst qbs in the league & no matter how many streets he cleans, that fact is not going to change. It was a p*ss poor coaching decision to run that play, for the simple fact that the coaches should of known better then to put the ball in Losman's hands with the game on the line. When the bills ran that play in week 2 against Jacksonville, trying to ice the clock & it worked it was a great call. But the difference being they had Edwards under center. I do not want to hear about Peter's missing his block, the moment Losman saw that the FB could not release he should of tucked it & ran. Would of at least got back to the los. Watch the replay again when he first gets hit he does not tuck the ball, he actually tries to get a pass off. This guy is going to be out of the league next year. They had a national guy on the morning show this morning saying that he can not believe that Losman is not getting ripped for this play. He ended by saying, it the way the play unfolded did not surprise him because it is what everybody around the league has come to expect from one JP Losman. This guy is going to have a tough time catching onto a team next year.

Uhhh..... the Bills were 6-5 when Trent Edwards got hurt.

And 6-5 teams get better and make the playoffs all the time. Look at the improvement in our running game the last two weeks. I also believe that the KC game showed that Edwards was getting better as well (at least until he got hurt.) I won't say that "all was fine and dandy", but 6-5 isn't out of it either - unless of course you are either someone trying to whitewash JP Losman's abysmal performance as our #2 QB this season, or else Wade Phillips. ;-)

JDG

So Trent led the team to 0 points in 1 half against SF, yet its JP's fault we lost? Did he magically blow some lead that trent had staked the team to when he led us to 0 points in the first half?

Whats funny is that trent has started 21 games in his career, and aside from sacks taken, his career numbers are eerily similar to one Jon Paul Losman. Given what he has showed in the past 5-6 games he played in, forgive me for jumping for joy.

So Trent led the team to 0 points in 1 half against SF, yet its JP's fault we lost? Did he magically blow some lead that trent had staked the team to when he led us to 0 points in the first half?

Whats funny is that trent has started 21 games in his career, and aside from sacks taken, his career numbers are eerily similar to one Jon Paul Losman. Given what he has showed in the past 5-6 games he played in, forgive me for jumping for joy.

I really think if we had steady, consistent qb play this year we would be in the playoffs. That goes for both Edwards & Losman. Too many game changing turnovers directly responsible by the QB. The first Miami game was there for the taking if it was not for the turnovers in the 4th quarter. The first jets game, if Edwards does not throw that pick 6 I am prett convinced we win that game. If Edwards played even an average game against cleveland we win by at least 10pts. SF game was there for the taking but the qb play was abysmal(by both guys). The 2nd Miami game Losman was once again terrible & now obviously the Jets game this past week where I think we all good agree that the game was lost in the last 2 minutes due to the poor play of the qb(poor coaching also). Those losses imo opinion are directly related to the QB play. If we even go 3-3 in those games we are sitting at 9-5 right now tied for 1st place. If we would of just split with the jets & Miami we would be tied with only NE in 1st place & the game in 2 weeks would be for the division title. As bad as it seems now, I am starting to feel a little better about this team. This team needs some tweeking & alot will depend on Edwards next year. It really is his make or break year with the bills. Do not care what anybody says, I am still high on him. Hopefully they could get it turned around.

No my friend, you forgot the almighty W/L column.

I know....it's a team game right? An old standby excuse was that "JP never played behind this OL." Do you remember that particular one? Well, now he has and the losses mount.

Some of the stats might be similar, but at least Trent has a chance to be good, and I for one think that he will be a good qb in this league.

2 more weeks.

No my friend, you forgot the almighty W/L column.

I know....it's a team game right? An old standby excuse was that "JP never played behind this OL." Do you remember that particular one? Well, now he has and the losses mount.

Some of the stats might be similar, but at least Trent has a chance to be good, and I for one think that he will be a good qb in this league.

2 more weeks.

W/L for QBs are a complete joke, which is why they don't keep that stat like they do for MLB pitchers. Football is too much of a team game to place the W/L record on the QB.

But if you want to go with W/L, are you honestly happy with a guy that thusfar has a record of 11-10 through 2 seasons? Doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzy feelings.

For the benefit of the future of the team, Hamdan should be starting the last 2 games if Edwards can't go. JP is gone, and now the playoffs are gone, so there's not a good reason to keep him in the lineup.

I am not trying to be a wiseguy here. How do you know he is a nice kid? Do you personally know him.

Actually, for those of us who spend significant time at training camp, the answer is yes. Don't have his number in my cell phone, but he knows several of us by name. (He hates the Adam Sandler lookalike jokes, by the way. I'm convinced that's the real reason he grew the beard.)

Now, liking the kid -- which I do -- and wanting to watch him play QB for my team are two different things ...

Trent Edwards gets no kudos for being shut out by San Francisco in the first half - but we also know now that he was playing hurt with a bad injury, so I'm not going to throw him under the bus for it.

It is not JP's fault alone that we lost. JP Losman, however, bears a significant portion of blame for only managing 3 points in two quarters of work (in the scond half) in a game we absolutely had to have.

The stats are only eerily similar if you haven't watched both QB's play and if you gloss over Losman's most-damning stats.

Edwards worst days as a pro came as a rookie in blizzard conditions at Cleveland and swirling winds vs. the Giants. Losman's worst days as a pro came as a second-year player starting in Tampa, home vs. Atlanta in September, and in San Antonio against a Saints team that would have 50+ points hung on them the very next week. But yeah, "eerily similar stats" - I guess if you don't watch the games.

And why on earth would you discount sacks taken? Losman has been sacked 1 time out of every 9 attempts! You don't think that plays a role in Losman's futility? By comparison, Edwards has been sacked only once every 18.5 attempts. Negative plays are a caller, and JP Losman produces them at about twice Edwards' rate. Add in Losman's 34 fumbles (17 lost) to Edwards' 11 fumbles (4 lost) and there starts to be a lot less eerie similarity at all.

JDG

Actually, for those of us who spend significant time at training camp, the answer is yes. Don't have his number in my cell phone, but he knows several of us by name. (He hates the Adam Sandler lookalike jokes, by the way. I'm convinced that's the real reason he grew the beard.)

Now, liking the kid -- which I do -- and wanting to watch him play QB for my team are two different things ...

Fine Lori you vaguely know him which is to say maybe he would recognize you at SJF. Please do not pretend like you know what kind of person he is off the field because my guess is you do not. Neither do I. That is all I am trying to say. The guy is a terrible QB, lets leave all the other personal crap out of this. That was my only point.

Does he hate being called a poor man's Rob Johnson too?

Fine Lori you vaguely know him which is to say maybe he would recognize you at SJF. Please do not pretend like you know what kind of person he is off the field because my guess is you do not. Neither do I. That is all I am trying to say. The guy is a terrible QB, lets leave all the other personal crap out of this. That was my only point.

Leave all the personal crap out, yet you continue to take personal shots at him, and anchor your argument to the opinion of a single backup scrub RB?

All Rock and I said was that because we liked the kid, we hoped he was the answer the team has been seeking at QB. Turns out he wasn't. (By the way, if you guess noone here is in contact with players off the field, you'd be guessing wrong.)

And in the times I've been around Losman, nobody was dickish enough to compare him to Rob Johnson.

All Rock and I said was that because we liked the kid, we hoped he was the answer the team has been seeking at QB. Turns out he wasn't. (By the way, if you guess noone here is in contact with players off the field, you'd be guessing wrong.)

And in the times I've been around Losman, nobody was dickish enough to compare him to Rob Johnson.

Good point. That would of been an insult to Johnson.

Just my two cents here about likability: we all want to like the players, and most of the QBs who have played for the Bills have been pretty likable. Edwards seems likable. Bledsoe was likable. Rob Johnson was regarded as likable while he was here (a fact which many forget). AVP was likable. Todd Collins, who went a trip to Africa with Ruben Brown, was likable. Frank Reich was likable. Hamdan seems likable. I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce Mathison and Joe Dufek were likable guys. The catch, though? While the jury is out on Edwards, the only two Bills QBs who have produced in the past quarter century were the least likable on a personal level: Kelly and Flutie. Kelly is beloved now, but he was widely regarded as an ass in his prime. The point is that it's an issue not really worth arguing about. I do of course hope that Edwards breaks the trend of the negative correlation between likability and leading a team to 10+ wins.