Trent's Regression

RunTheBall

There's no question Trent has regressed over the past 3 weeks. Call it what you want, but his confidence is shot and his decision making ability is going down the crapper quick.

I think the reason for this is he has completely lost confidence in his O-line to protect him. Trent is developing happy feet and the Bledsoe-pat because he's not sure where to go with the ball. I think whoever stated in another thread hit it right on the money when they stated Trent is looking at the rush first and then the receivers so he's late on his reads.

So what can we do about it, if anything? Obviously our talent level on the O-line is lacking but that can't be corrected this season. I don't think you can change blocking schemes mid season.

So I think the onus is on Turk to call a game that starts off with some "easy" passes and not abandon the run after 9 minutes in the first quarter. Where are the off tackle runs? The quick tosses to the flat? The wide receiver screens?

I really think he's dropping the ball and needs to do a better job putting our players in a position to succeed.

RTB

There's no question Trent has regressed over the past 3 weeks. Call it what you want, but his confidence is shot and his decision making ability is going down the crapper quick.

I think the reason for this is he has completely lost confidence in his O-line to protect him. Trent is developing happy feet and the Bledsoe-pat because he's not sure where to go with the ball. I think whoever stated in another thread hit it right on the money when they stated Trent is looking at the rush first and then the receivers so he's late on his reads.

So what can we do about it, if anything? Obviously our talent level on the O-line is lacking but that can't be corrected this season. I don't think you can change blocking schemes mid season.

So I think the onus is on Turk to call a game that starts off with some "easy" passes and not abandon the run after 9 minutes in the first quarter. Where are the off tackle runs? The quick tosses to the flat? The wide receiver screens?

I really think he's dropping the ball and needs to do a better job putting our players in a position to succeed.

RTB

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head here...

I believe part of TE's accuracy problems (which have come quite suddenly in the past 3 Games have they not?) is directly related to the poor O-line play...I think Trent is pressing now because He realizes when he does have time the throw HAS to be perfect because He may not get a chance to do it again...At this point of his career Trent HAS to have the threat of the Running Game to be effective...Most QB's do for that matter...Ever wonder how Eli would look without one of the better Rushing attacks in The NFL? I've seen Him throw a duck or two in his time...There are SO few QB's like Peyton or Brady who can move an Offense all by his lonesome...

I think the onus lies on this O-Line...If they can't open up holes for the Run Game expect more of the same from Trent cause He ain't Super Man...Or Peyton Manning for that matter...He's a 2nd Year QB who needs a Running Game to be exceptional...That's all there is to it... :thumbsup:

I think the onus lies on this O-Line...If they can't open up holes for the Run Game expect more of the same from Trent cause He ain't Super Man...Or Peyton Manning for that matter...He's a 2nd Year QB who needs a Running Game to be exceptional...That's all there is to it... :thumbsup:

This is it. Without a running game how can we expect a 2nd year QB to carry a team every game? It's pathetic to watch, and then to hear Turk talk about how the running game was effective for the first 5 games when I think it was barely adequate is infuriating.

RTB

We keep saying that the O line sucks, and quite frankly they have sucked this year. Jason Peters did us no favors by holding out, but it goes beyond him.

To me, the bigger question is why does our line continue to suck year after year? Why do guys who used to play here, like Mike Gandy for instance, go on to other places and play well? Is it scheme? Is it coaching?

It is hard to believe it is totally bad players because we have tried so many and continually have the same issues. If what some of you posters say is true, then virtually all of the linemen we have had come through here in the last five or ten years have been woefully inadequate. Ralph has finally ponied up with some serious cash, so we can't blame it on him anymore.

So what is the problem? Is it coaching? Player evaluation/scouting? Ralph brought in a business man to run the Bills. I say it's high time he brought those business management skills to the field and find and fix the root cause of this problem. Until he does, we will all be diappointed on Monday mornings.

Completely agree. They need to change the play calling up. I still find it dumbfounding that we're the only team in the league that has no idea what a slant pass is. 3 steps, hit a receiver slanting over the middle. How hard is that?

Also, it may be hard to say or read, but... put Fowler back in there. Is it coincidental that the pass blocking and Trent's confidence have tanked since Fowler was replaced? Maybe. But it can't hurt to get him back in the game and find out. Lord knows Preston's not doing much either. So how much worse would it be?

It's all woven together. Trent is regressing b/c the O-line is regressing and that kills the running game. The Bills have lost the ability to keep teams honest with their running game and now it's become very easy to defend a one trick offense (actually in the Bills case a NO trick offense). Let's face it, even Roethlisberger and Peyton cannot be effective with a one dimensional offense. The only guy that's done it is last year with Brady. They threw first and ran second.,,,but then again the Pats O-line were very good at pass blocking. Our guys are not and the receivers (except Evans) are role guys.

Lynch and the O-line are the keys to getting this thing fixed.

Why is it the bills O line just tries to resist the opposing D line while good teams like the Patriots O Line directs the opposition where they want them to go. Sure we have a big strong O line but guess what the other team is big and strong too directing them is easier and more effective then pushing.

Hey Marshawn that big pile in front of you is not going move out of your way go around it.

For the defense I have this to say when Wes Welker is in the game COVER HIM!!!!!!!!!!!! time and again he just eats us for dinner you might some day want to put a guy on him.

Too the Mensa member who put Youboty on IR for plantar fascitis give me a break shoot it with cortisone and get him back out there, it is time for some of these guys to reach in there pants find there balls and man up and play.

We keep saying that the O line sucks, and quite frankly they have sucked this year. Jason Peters did us no favors by holding out, but it goes beyond him.

To me, the bigger question is why does our line continue to suck year after year? Why do guys who used to play here, like Mike Gandy for instance, go on to other places and play well? Is it scheme? Is it coaching?

It is hard to believe it is totally bad players because we have tried so many and continually have the same issues. If what some of you posters say is true, then virtually all of the linemen we have had come through here in the last five or ten years have been woefully inadequate. Ralph has finally ponied up with some serious cash, so we can't blame it on him anymore.

So what is the problem? Is it coaching? Player evaluation/scouting? Ralph brought in a business man to run the Bills. I say it's high time he brought those business management skills to the field and find and fix the root cause of this problem. Until he does, we will all be diappointed on Monday mornings.

I think that's the problem. We have tried "so many". You know for a unit to function well together they have to have been together for a while. Steelers OL during the SB run was one of the best in the game and Big Ben looked like Elway out there. I remember during those days that the OL had played close to two seasons together as a unit.

This isn't Madden, you can't just plug in a player and expect him to do well. Instill LONG TERM confidence in a unit and eventually they will gel.

RTB

His protection was better games 5-9 than in games 1-4...yet he has gotten worse. I don't think lack of confidence in the O line is the issue. Its all on Trent...whether or not its the concussion is the question.

I personally think the loss of Josh Reed is a bigger issue than most people are giving credit for. He was always making big first-down plays for the offense. Reed has since been replaced by Hardy who generally appears lost on the field.

The lack of protection certainly has effected him.

There certainly was a stark contrast between the protection that the Pats were providing (and our lack of pass rush) compared to the heat that the Pats defense was bringing.

I also think that we better figure out a way to block Wilfork. It has not happened yet. He completely blows up our line on both running and passing plays.

My take on the O-line.

I think there is a direct correlation to the size of our line and our line problem. Announcers always point out how we are the biggest O line in football, and they act like it is a good thing. You need to be able to move people when you block, and our line is so big they cannot move. I remeber seeing the Pats lineman getting into the second and third levels of our d... i cant even image seeing Walker trying to get into position to block a safety downfield. I think this is another reason we never run screen passes, our lineman simpley cannot move downfield. Denver routinely uses the smallest line in the league and continually moves the ball on the ground. I think we have limited ourselves with the ability of our line to move into position to be successful, not many humans are 6-6, 350 and have decent mobility. Hell, peters rana 4.7 at the combine and even he cant move adequately enough

I personally think the loss of Josh Reed is a bigger issue than most people are giving credit for. He was always making big first-down plays for the offense. Reed has since been replaced by Hardy who generally appears lost on the field.

I dont buy it. Every team has injuries, if Josh Reed being out is going to break your offense the O is even more F*cked up then I thought it was.

Runthedamball, that avatar made me spit my pop out on my computer screen. First time I noticed it. Thanks for the laugh man, I needed that.

His protection was better games 5-9 than in games 1-4...yet he has gotten worse. I don't think lack of confidence in the O line is the issue. Its all on Trent...whether or not its the concussion is the question.

I'm with ya on this. Our line is obviously not great or maybe even not very good for that matter. But, it's good enough to protect the QB long enough to pass most of the time. There were no protection problems on the pick on the pass to Evans, or on the pick on the pass to Hardy last week.

He had the same line when he was setting the league on fire the first 5 games of the season. The line certainly protects better than it did last year. In the NFL QBs get hit a lot. It's part of the game. If he's lost confidence in his line and can't throw the ball as well, that's his problem. Maybe he's not an NFL QB? Maybe he should look into 7 on 7 flag football?

If the concussion is causing problems, they should sit him until he's right.

I dont buy it. Every team has injuries, if Josh Reed being out is going to break your offense the O is even more F*cked up then I thought it was.

Runthedamball, that avatar made me spit my pop out on my computer screen. First time I noticed it. Thanks for the laugh man, I needed that.

I agree that every team has injuries -- but remember we were without both Reed AND Parrish for a game or two. Combine that with the fact that Hardy generally appears lost on the field and we have a receiving corp similar to Seattle's....

How would that NOT affect a young quarterback?

Too the Mensa member who put Youboty on IR for plantar fascitis give me a break shoot it with cortisone and get him back out there, it is time for some of these guys to reach in there pants find there balls and man up and play.

You completely underestimate both the pain or treatment for this condition.

Repeated injections are not recommended since they can weaken the plantar fascia and cause it to rupture as well as shrink the fat pad covering the heel. Left untreated, it can result in back, knee, or hip problems. It is not uncommon for it to take a year of treatments for a non-athlete for the condition to improve.