Third and a foot.....

AnthonyF

They call a throw, which was fine, but when it was not there Trent had plenty of room to get the first down they needed and instead threw it away. In addition the int for the TD was just terrible..... If you have third and goal you throw it to the end zone, not an out with defenders there..... Just two horrendous plays for which there was no excuse.

I like Trent, but call a spade a spade..... A bad game that we should have easily won that QB and play calling lost it for us.....

They call a throw, which was fine, but when it was not there Trent had plenty of room to get the first down they needed and instead threw it away. In addition the int for the TD was just terrible..... If you have third and goal you throw it to the end zone, not an out with defenders there..... Just two horrendous plays for which there was no excuse.

I like Trent, but call a spade a spade..... A bad game that we should have easily won that QB and play calling lost it for us.....

Very true...should have pounded it with Freddy J(who I was really dissapointed with today) and even the if he didn't have it pound it again, no way they don't get it off two runs in a row

Even if we kick field goals while down in the Red Zone it's a lot better then what we came away with while there today

Extremely dissapointed with the whole teams play today

what's up with giving the ball to freddie on 4th and 1? he is a speed guy. give it to lynch or qb sneak it. same crack happened last weake when we lost to the miami dolphins.

If I remember correctly Lynch was out at that point with Flu-Like symtoms but ya a qb sneak would have been fine with me all Edwards would have had to do was fall down and he would have had it...Poor play today

I saw the same thing---I was screaming run, run, run when he saw there was nothing open, and he threw it to noone instead....

I liked the call of a pass because we should know that our line just cant make a hole. With Lynch out I would never run on short yardage in the red zone when the field is shortend for the D. Trent is noramally pretty good at realizing when to run, but he missed it completly on that play. I cant believe that the Bills line is as bad as it is with Whittle and Preston in there. Butler is out but what about chambers at gaurd..hell he was better at tackle than peters/walker.

Calling a throw is not fine in that circumstance. You throw on 3rd when you're at the enemy 30-40 not in the red zone. If your team can't gain a foot on 2 running plays you have no business lining up to play in the NFL.

yep--that was a numnuts play...left us shaking our heads.....concussion?????????????????????

Calling a throw is not fine in that circumstance. You throw on 3rd when you're at the enemy 30-40 not in the red zone. If your team can't gain a foot on 2 running plays you have no business lining up to play in the NFL.

Missing the point that Trent had an easy first down if he ran when no one was open, so it was a good call..... What he did was just throw it away when he had the first down if he ran it.

i know the o-line is taking a beating today, and rightfully so, but i have to disagree with most on the 4th and 1 play

the jets loaded the middle of the box and had jackson just looked to his left, he could have walked into the end zone, let alone get the first down

seriously, there was NOBODY there...just needed to run to peters' left

Actually, two plays earlier when Freddie caught that pass, I think he got the first down, it was a horrendous spot and what happened afterward should've been first and goal.

Exactly...

I'm STILL trying to figure out why We did not challenge that spot on the screen Pass...He was clearly about a Yard ahead of the Spot when He went down...I know the thought is that you need less than a Yard on 2 Downs, so it's not a big deal...But in retrospect that spot REALLY hurt us...

Still gotta pick up the freaking Yard...Just saying... :rolleyes:

Exactly...

I'm STILL trying to figure out why We did not challenge that spot on the screen Pass...He was clearly about a Yard ahead of the Spot when He went down...I know the thought is that you need less than a Yard on 2 Downs, so it's not a big deal...But in retrospect that spot REALLY hurt us...

Still gotta pick up the freaking Yard...Just saying... :rolleyes:

Saw that too..... Also thought he made it on 4th down. In any case the third down play is what bothered me the most as Edwards threw the ball away for no reason, when he was almost at the line of scrimmage and easily could have picked up the first down. He threw the ball away.... It was not an attempted completion.

Saw that too..... Also thought he made it on 4th down. In any case the third down play is what bothered me the most as Edwards threw the ball away for no reason, when he was almost at the line of scrimmage and easily could have picked up the first down. He threw the ball away.... It was not an attempted completion.

it's just a morale killer between last week and this week on those short yardage plays. i was surprised we didn't see a different angle on the 4th down play, but FJ just kind of blended into the Jets d and the rest is history. The Jets have defended well against the run, and we've not run exceptionally well this year....and for the second time in two weeks Lynch wasn't in there when we needed the big back. tough break both times.

we're still in the hunt, but needed to not let that fins game slip away the way it did. i don't think we were as good as we started out, and pray to god we're not as inept as the last two weeks have shown.

when's schoebel back?

the reason you call a pass play on 3rd and 1 is because you know you're going to go for it on 4th and 1 if you don't complete the pass. We should have been able to get a yard with the biggest o-line in football

Does anyone have a replay of the 3rd down pass?

I was watching a crappy internet feed, but it sure looked to me like there was a wide open receiver in the middle of the field pas the first down mark when Trent threw it to the end zone.

Again the internet video wasn't that clear on my monitor so I'm not sure if I'm right on this or not. If I'm right, it would have been an easy first down, and possibly a TD.

Does anyone have a replay of the 3rd down pass?

I was watching a crappy internet feed, but it sure looked to me like there was a wide open receiver in the middle of the field pas the first down mark when Trent threw it to the end zone.

Again the internet video wasn't that clear on my monitor so I'm not sure if I'm right on this or not. If I'm right, it would have been an easy first down, and possibly a TD.

He threw it away and that is what bothered me and he was almost at the line when he did it. I'd like to see a replay too or confirm what I saw.....

He threw it away and that is what bothered me and he was almost at the line when he did it. I'd like to see a replay too or confirm what I saw.....

I got it recorded. About when in the game was that? I'll check and see what was up.

edit: Nevermind. I just got it.

OK. on the play in question. Trent had all day! Beautiful pocket. He dropped back, stood there with no one near him for several seconds. Moved very little (didn't have to) and did not approach the LOS at all. Ended up throwing the ball away while he was still about 7 yards behind the LOS. He could have ran, but there's no guarantee at all he would have made it.

The big problem seemed to be that all the WRs and coverage went to the right side of the field. That had to be a miscue right? He had absolutely no options on the left side of the field. They essentially made the Jets defend half the field. A dump off receiver would have been nice on that play.

Bad play call, if you ask me.

I got it recorded. About when in the game was that? I'll check and see what was up.

OK. on the play in question. Trent had all day! Beautiful pocket. He dropped back, stood there with no one near him for several seconds. Moved very little (didn't have to) and did not approach the LOS at all. Ended up throwing the ball away while he was still about 7 yards behind the LOS. He could have ran, but there's no guarantee at all he would have made it.

The big problem seemed to be that all the WRs and coverage went to the right side of the field. That had to be a miscue right? He had absolutely no options on the left side of the field. They essentially made the Jets defend half the field. A dump off receiver would have been nice on that play.

I thought he was much closer to the line and agreed that he had more time to throw and seem to decide to throw it away for no reason.

Ok, I must have been squinting too hard on that one. Thought I saw something that wasn't really there. Thanks

I really didn't like that playcall either. You gotta be able to run or sneak for 1/2 a foot on 2 plays. Plain and simple.

I thought he was much closer to the line and agreed that he had more time to throw and seem to decide to throw it away for no reason.

Yeah, I thought that too. But, no, he dropped back and pretty much stood there. Looked like he wanted to go to Evans, but he was double covered in the end zone. My guess... Evans couldn't shake the double coverage, so Trent just threw it away.

At the end of the play, I saw 2 WRs in the endzone and 4 DBs - all in the right half of the endzone. That's why I say poor play design, or route running.

Ok, I must have been squinting too hard on that one. Thought I saw something that wasn't really there. Thanks

I really didn't like that playcall either. You gotta be able to run or sneak for 1/2 a foot on 2 plays. Plain and simple.

That's what I was thinking on 4th down. Spread the field with a bunch of WRs and then have Trent sneak it - just don't hold the ball out there.

I was P.O.'d that Jauron didn't challenge the spot on that play, but he made a idiotic challenge a couple plays later where the Jets TE clearly had his arm under the ball. The announcers even thought we got a bad spot on the ball.

I was P.O.'d that Jauron didn't challenge the spot on that play, but he made a idiotic challenge a couple plays later where the Jets TE clearly had his arm under the ball. The announcers even thought we got a bad spot on the ball.

I looked at that spot as well under the frame by frame. And, unless there was another camera angle, I couldn't tell where the ball was. Wonderful CBS is absolutely lousy with their replays. I'm sure there were other angles, but they didn't show them on my TV. So, based on my limited view; I don't think they would have changed the spot.

Although I do agree, at that point a challenge isn't a bad idea at all. I'm just not sure it would have worked.

I can't say that I blame Trent for throwing it away in that situation.

1. He had just killed the other drive in a similar situation with the INT-RETURN.

2. I am sure when the coaches called the play, they told him that they were going to go for it on 4th down if they failed to convert on 3rd. The conversation probably included a reminder for him to just throw it away if it wasn't there on 3rd.