Trent's Armstrength

Virgil

Question. Has anyone else noticed that all of the deepballs that Edwards have thrown requires the receivers to slow down? I've yet to see this brought up anywhere and therefor wondering if i'm nuts. He has great zip on the ball in his short game, but I also believe that we have left some TD's on the field cause the WR's haven't been able to keep stride in their deep catches. I'm not complaining by any means, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same things.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point, but that's just timing. His last throw to Lee didn't require that much of a slow-down, and it's typical even with JP-like arm-strength that you slow down if you remember some of the bombs. It's rare you see an all-out burst and an perfectly timed ball.

Question. Has anyone else noticed that all of the deepballs that Edwards have thrown requires the receivers to slow down? I've yet to see this brought up anywhere and therefor wondering if i'm nuts. He has great zip on the ball in his short game, but I also believe that we have left some TD's on the field cause the WR's haven't been able to keep stride in their deep catches. I'm not complaining by any means, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same things.

You're nuts.

I don't think he was throwing as hard as possible. It was just a slight timing problem in my opinion. He hasn't had to throw the 50 or 60 yard bomb yet this year. That might challenge him a bit. I've liked most of his deep balls this year. If he gets it over the reciever's shoulder while the reciever can stay ahead of the CB, hey, it worked. We should count our blessings.

The questions for me concern his ability to throw through high winds. Because I guarantee there will be high winds at some games in Orchard Park, the Meadowlands or Gillette this year. Hope it turns out well.

Yeah, it sure sucked when Lee had to slow down to catch a 30-yard touchdown pass. I hate that.

Boy's got an arm- not worried in the least. I am a bit concerned with some of the play calling re: the formations they use, esp Reed's placement. The last couple years I blew off the pre-season formations thinking 'naah, they won't use that in the reg season'... and then they do...

When Reed cozies up to the line, it's a run... if he's off a foot or 2...

Drivin' me nuts to look at... please tell me Schonert's not waiting to unleash a pass play with Reed off the te's shoulder in week 14

not at all concerned about his arm strength. he makes all the throw needed. sure not a cannon but very sufficient. what im a bit concerned of is his ability to throw in wet conditions. didnt look that good last season. but we will see.

Perhaps Edwards doesn't have the arm strength, but I'm doubtful that's the case - he seems to be able to wing it 40 yards or more. He's not Losman, but not too many people have that kind of arm.

If you're talking deep balls this season, I guess that means Evans. I can't think of one thus far to Hardy, or Reed. Parrish? Someone help me out on that one - I truly can't remember.

Evans is awfully fast. I think we've heard "4.3" tossed around here from time to time. I'm thinking that Evans just tends to overrun it with that speed. And that will all change with more playing time together. The fact that they've linked up as much as they have already this year is encouraging. I'm more excited about what they could do (a) later this year and (b) into next year, now that Evans is here for awhile.

Boy's got an arm- not worried in the least. I am a bit concerned with some of the play calling re: the formations they use, esp Reed's placement. The last couple years I blew off the pre-season formations thinking 'naah, they won't use that in the reg season'... and then they do...

When Reed cozies up to the line, it's a run... if he's off a foot or 2...

Drivin' me nuts to look at... please tell me Schonert's not waiting to unleash a pass play with Reed off the te's shoulder in week 14

I think that and the time that they take in the huddle on a pass give it away. Hope it changes.

Don't bring this up here if you don't want trouble. Also don't say that water is wet.

Does it really matter?

4-0 is all you need worry about. or 9-4 career stats

True. I read somewhere that Evans is in the top 1 or 2 in the league with plays over 20+ yards and the top 1 or 2 in the league with average yards per play. They are hooking up well on long balls. His last touchdown last week he ran through the ball with arms extended. There was no slowing down. It is asking too much of a quarterback to connect 40 yards downfild perfect everytime. Great receivers have to adjust to the ball, beat the DB and make the play. Which Evans does reasonable well. IMO, TE's deep throws have been on target, not neccesarily the bulls eye every time, but within the target range that gives Evans a decent chance to make the play.

Yeah he sure looked bad on the Evans TD pass against the Rams :lol:

Seriously, there was an article in the Buff News 2-3 weeks ago about their strategy on throwing deep balls. Schonert wanted the QB's to "drop the ball down a chimney" (I remember that phrase) and let the WR's be able to make a play on it. So he wanted the high deep throws

Found the story, Here It Is