Trent's Armstrength

Virgil

Question. Has anyone else noticed that all of the deepballs that Edwards have thrown requires the receivers to slow down? I've yet to see this brought up anywhere and therefor wondering if i'm nuts. He has great zip on the ball in his short game, but I also believe that we have left some TD's on the field cause the WR's haven't been able to keep stride in their deep catches. I'm not complaining by any means, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same things.

I think he has adequate armstrength. Look at Chad Pennington, he won with his ability to read defenses and get the ball out quick.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know he is no JP in the arm strength arena and frankly there are not many NFL QB's with arms like that. Trent has the ability to send a shot down the field as was proven this past Sunday. If you are throwing over 40yds it seems like a desperation move anyway. You saw that on Sunday as well. The Rams came out and sent a strike down field on the first play and it was out of desperation. They were desperate for a win and it showed. Trent serves us better with the 5-20 yd move the chains pass variety and he can go 40 pretty easily it seemed. Anything over that and it's a gamble 50-50 chance it will work.

Question. Has anyone else noticed that all of the deepballs that Edwards have thrown requires the receivers to slow down? I've yet to see this brought up anywhere and therefor wondering if i'm nuts. He has great zip on the ball in his short game, but I also believe that we have left some TD's on the field cause the WR's haven't been able to keep stride in their deep catches. I'm not complaining by any means, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same things.

Has anyone noticed that most of Trent's deep throws are dead on the money and have resulted in touchdowns? I'm not complaining, just bringing that up. :lol:.

PTR

Has anyone noticed that most of Trent's deep throws are dead on the money and have resulted in touchdowns? I'm not complaining, just bringing that up. :lol:.

PTR

See, once again, why can't someone point something out without it being an attack? I've already posted numerous times that I think Trent is our guy. I'm merely asking if anyone else has noticed this. The person who posted about Trent being asked to drop balls in, rather than lead makes a lot of sense.

I only think about this with the upcoming game against Arizona and wonder if we could hold up in a shoot-out.

See, once again, why can't someone point something out without it being an attack? I've already posted numerous times that I think Trent is our guy. I'm merely asking if anyone else has noticed this. The person who posted about Trent being asked to drop balls in, rather than lead makes a lot of sense.

I only think about this with the upcoming game against Arizona and wonder if we could hold up in a shoot-out.

Virgil

I am not attacking you but if you used the search function of the board you would see that this horse has been beaten, killed, chopped up, and sold off for glue more then once.

I have, he is more likely to underthrow than overthrow people on the deeper routes. Evans especially has done a good job of getting position on those balls so that the slight underthrows weren't problems.

I don't see a lot of "zip" on the short stuff either but what I do see is accuracy and quick decisions. So far, with wheather not being a factor, his arm strength hasn't been much of a problem at all. He more than makes up for it in other areas and his arm is strong enough. I am looking forward to being surprised at how well he does in bad weather. If he can handle that, then I think we can take arm strength off the list of concerns with Trent.

Yeah he sure looked bad on the Evans TD pass against the Rams :lol:

Seriously, there was an article in the Buff News 2-3 weeks ago about their strategy on throwing deep balls. Schonert wanted the QB's to "drop the ball down a chimney" (I remember that phrase) and let the WR's be able to make a play on it. So he wanted the high deep throws

Found the story, Here It Is

The Jeff Blake School of Passing? :unsure:

Trent's long ball floats. If he had better mechanics his ball would have drive on it and not float. Bad weather games will always give him trouble because of the way he throws.

Then maybe they should get the running game going. Not impressed thus far with the O-Line.

Seriously, there was an article in the Buff News 2-3 weeks ago about their strategy on throwing deep balls. Schonert wanted the QB's to "drop the ball down a chimney" (I remember that phrase) and let the WR's be able to make a play on it. So he wanted the high deep throws

Good article.

For some reason there are a lot of people that are pretty sensitive to anything within a thousand miles of being critical of Trent. Anyone with eyes can see that Trent has a good arm, an accurate arm but he simply doesn't have a cannon. Watch some Favre highlights and then Trent's and you can see the difference in velocity even on television. Trent isn't that kind of QB but that really doesn't mean much. He has plenty of other skills and his arm, though not a cannon, appears to be plenty strong enough. He fits the ball into some tight spots using timing and accuracy where others do it by launching a rocket. Lots of guys have won championships with less arm strength than Trent's. Bad weather is the one thing I worry about there. It hurts even the rocket launchers. Trent will have his chance to show he can handle that as well soon enough. I'm betting that he will find a way to be productive. His ability to hit guys in stride on short routes will work nicely in bad weather where the CB's have trouble reacting quickly due to poor footing.

On that subject, I wish we took more advantage of his accuracy with some quick slants. Watching the 1990 Bills on NFLN last night, I saw how well that used to work with Kelly and Reed. The Raiders got a quick 6 out of it that almost won them the game. I think that route is tailor made for Trent's accuracy and quick release. It is a speed route that plays to the strengths of Roscoe and Lee. I have seen it twice that I can recall, both times to Hardy and incomplete both times.

The article did point out that he missed one because he underthrew it and I think what they meant was that accuracy on these deep routes, in Edwards case, doesn't mean getting it deep. This is the way they want Trent to throw it for whatever reason, maybe because Lee is so good at getting position, maybe because its a better technique for Trent's skill set. It works so there is not much to do but enjoy it.

Honestly, I really don't think there's enough to question the guy's arm strength. He's thrown some pretty touchdown passes to Evans (not just this year, but last year as well...he had a beautiful one to Evans against Miami) that required no slowing down on anyone's part.

It's all about the timing, not arm strength. Repeat after me.

Nobody questions Brett Favre's arm strength (particularly in the past) and a ridiculous number of his TD passes required his receivers to slow down and go for the jump ball. Timing, not arm strength. And in some cases, it's by design -- if the DB is not looking at the ball, the receiver can have an advantage on a ball thrown behind the receiver, especially the taller receivers.

Nobody question's JP's arm strength, but Evans sure had to slow down for that jump ball against the Jets last year. It happens.

For some reason there are a lot of people that are pretty sensitive to anything within a thousand miles of being critical of Trent.

probably because anything that can be perceived negative about trent is a fallacy; he has no flaws. he's already better than marino, montana, and peyton manning - just ask the trentites that are frequently fellating him that post on this board.

All I know is Trent has placed quite a few beauties right into Lee's hands where only he could catch it. Arm strength isn't everything. Accuracy is more important.

Case and point: Jamarcus Russell can throw the ball the length of the field, yet look at him...

The obsession with arm strength is baffling to me. Yes, it is a remarkable athletic achievement, but it directly translate into wins.

Guest dog14787
All I know is Trent has placed quite a few beauties right into Lee's hands where only he could catch it. Arm strength isn't everything. Accuracy is more important.

Case and point: Jamarcus Russell can throw the ball the length of the field, yet look at him...

The obsession with arm strength is baffling to me. Yes, it is a remarkable athletic achievement, but it directly translate into wins.

With TE and Turk Shonert working together I'm confident they will give us a workable offense when the weather starts to turn yucky.

Yup, its called Beast mode and action Jasckson, with our huge O-line opening holes :lol:

I will say this, arm strength does become a factor when the winds start whipping across lake Erie and you have to drive a ball through a 25 mile an hour wind and you can't even get your footing BECAUSE THE GROUND IS FROZEN AND SO ARE ALL THE FANS WATCHING IN HORROR AS TE GETS SLUNG AROUND LIKE A RAG DOLL !!!!!!! :beer: Dome, da, dome, dome.

:wacko: sorry, TE/mittens, so sorry :blink: