A Word to the Younguns

ChevyVanMiller

They didn't always find a way to win. But from the moment they scored three touchdowns in 70+ seconds against Denver in 1990 (was it 1990? Lori? Little help?), you knew they were never actually out of a game until the final whistle blew.

You nailed that one! That is the quintessential game of that era. After that performance how could you ever be out of a game.

They didn't always find a way to win. But from the moment they scored three touchdowns in 70+ seconds against Denver in 1990 (was it 1990? Lori? Little help?), you knew they were never actually out of a game until the final whistle blew.

The Super Bowl teams would get their @ss kicked one or more times a year. Fans in 2008 should keep this in mind the first time the 2008 Bills play a really bad game. It's a 16 game season & that stuff will happen once in a while. Here's a list of the worst defeats in the Super Bowl years:

1990: L30-7 @ Mia-this was a definitive game. Marv read them the riot act after several players complained about being held out in the 4th quarter. They won 8 straight games and only lost 1 game the rest of the way before tanking the season ender after home field had been clinched.

1991: L 33-6 @ KC

1992: There were some ugly games in this, the only Super Bowl year that they didn't win the division & have home field. They had consecutive losses in back to back weeks twice. 1st in October, a 37-10 loss against the Dolphins at home and a 20-3 loss against the Raiders on the road. Then in late November, they lost an OT game in Indy followed by a 24-17 loss to a bad Jets team fired up by the Dennis Byrd injury the prior week. The final game of the season was the 27-3 loss at Houston where the Bills lost both Jim Kelly and home field throughout the playoffs.

1993: The 12-4 Bills got whipped in 3 games. In September, they lost at home 22-13 to the Dolphins in a game Miami jumped out to a big lead early. Then they really got kicked around in a couple of November road games-23-0 at Pittsburgh & 23-7 at KC. In fact the Bills lost 3 of 4 games from 11/15-12/5.

So next time the Bills have a bad game & WGR starts whining, call up & remind them that even the greatest Bills teams got mauled once in a while.

You are right about that. But those weekly videos in HD are the best. It's the only reason to go over to that website. I'm downloading them each week so I can have a 2008 yearbook like no other. Just to let you know they just finished the Raiders - Bills highlights.

Where are these videos you speak of?

Yes, we did get a little spoiled by the Super Bowl years.

Can you believe the wildcard game against the Houston Oilers in 1993 DID NOT EVEN SELL OUT!!!

We had become so spoiled by two consecutive division titles and two consecutive Super Bowl appearances that getting into the playoffs as a wild card was NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

I hope we never get like that again. What we wouldn't have done for just one wildcard appearance during these past 8 seasons!

Enjoy the victories. Don't demand perfection. Just ask for honest effort. Be happy to have one of the most storied NFL franchises right here in Buffalo!

Can you believe the wildcard game against the Houston Oilers in 1993 DID NOT EVEN SELL OUT!!!

We had become so spoiled by two consecutive division titles and two consecutive Super Bowl appearances that getting into the playoffs as a wild card was NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

I hope we never get like that again. What we wouldn't have done for just one wildcard appearance during these past 8 seasons!

Enjoy the victories. Don't demand perfection. Just ask for honest effort. Be happy to have one of the most storied NFL franchises right here in Buffalo!

where they shall be for a long time to come! <_<

Septenber 30, 1990. The reason I always remember that date was that my father died the next day.

Actually that Oiler game did sell out, but not before the blackout deadline had been extended and passed by.

The come back game ......................... sh-- I went to NYC that week, I was moving there and my girlfriend and I went to a bar on thrid ave and we watched the first 2 quarters.........not blacked out there.

There was a friend that we had who lived over in alphabit city, we wanted to go and visit his studio (we are artists) so after a 1/2 of looking like sh-- to the oilers we said ok it's over, no one can come back from that. Not after seeing the way they are playing.

So we used the phone booth in the bar (remember those?) and called our friend and he said oh, come over right now. I got stuff I gotta do later and I won't be around. So we went.............................

Next day we are in a train in the subway and I see the picture on the back of someones NYPost with the big caption "THEY CHOKE!!!!!" and the picture of Moon looking down at the turf. I am like man!! we gotta get a newspaper. The Bills won!

I have seen the replay of it several times since then but I still can't believe we didn't stay and watch.......................

I couldn't turn off the game last week even though I live in Bangkok and have to get up 3 hours after it ends, I am glad I didn't, that was a sweet win. But not seeing my BBs win the biggest comeback in NFL history to this day makes it damm near impossible to turn a game off (even after 8 years of suckyness).

The come back game ......................... sh-- I went to NYC that week, I was moving there and my girlfriend and I went to a bar on thrid ave and we watched the first 2 quarters.........not blacked out there.

There was a friend that we had who lived over in alphabit city, we wanted to go and visit his studio (we are artists) so after a 1/2 of looking like sh-- to the oilers we said ok it's over, no one can come back from that. Not after seeing the way they are playing.

So we used the phone booth in the bar (remember those?) and called our friend and he said oh, come over right now. I got stuff I gotta do later and I won't be around. So we went.............................

Next day we are in a train in the subway and I see the picture on the back of someones NYPost with the big caption "THEY CHOKE!!!!!" and the picture of Moon looking down at the turf. I am like man!! we gotta get a newspaper. The Bills won!

I have seen the replay of it several times since then but I still can't believe we didn't stay and watch.......................

I couldn't turn off the game last week even though I live in Bangkok and have to get up 3 hours after it ends, I am glad I didn't, that was a sweet win. But not seeing my BBs win the biggest comeback in NFL history to this day makes it damm near impossible to turn a game off (even after 8 years of suckyness).

Somebody give this man a cigar. The first post ever to admit not staying to watch the end of the comeback game. According to my count 4.3 miilion people claim to have been at Rich Stadium screaming like maniacs when Christie kicked through the winner. Have one on me... :lol:

Somebody give this man a cigar. The first post ever to admit not staying to watch the end of the comeback game. According to my count 4.3 miilion people claim to have been at Rich Stadium screaming like maniacs when Christie kicked through the winner. Have one on me... :lol:

I almost didn't see the end. I turned it off at halftime, then turned it back on around the time when Houston scored in the beginning of the third. Then turned it off again. Then later at some point in the third turned it back on and it stayed on the rest of the game.

mods can we delete this :lol:

Please? PLEASE?

Somebody give this man a cigar. The first post ever to admit not staying to watch the end of the comeback game. According to my count 4.3 miilion people claim to have been at Rich Stadium screaming like maniacs when Christie kicked through the winner. Have one on me... :worthy:

Amen.

Best I can say is I was in high school at the time and working at Tops in Niagara Falls, got out around the end of the first quarter and listened to the game on the radio at home. Turned it off at halftime, but morbid curiosity made me turn it back on, and listened the rest of the way. Also recall being pretty ticked when the NFL denied one of the local affiliates the right to re-broadcast the game a few days later.

You nailed that one! That is the quintessential game of that era. After that performance how could you ever be out of a game.

September 30, 1990 -- BILLS SCORE 20 POINTS IN 77 SECONDS

The Bills exploded for 20 points in a 77 second span in the fourth quarter and overcame Denver, 29-28 before a sell-out crowd at Rich Stadium.

:lol:

Anyone who remembers the Jack Kemp era want to respond to this one?

I remember sitting in the stadium in 64-66 when the Bills had two AFL champions and were 1st the the east in for three years in a row (there was only an east and a west then).

Bills players would sit on their bench with helmets on because fans were throwing full cans of beer at them.

Booth Lustig was beaten up outside the stadium after the game when he missed a chip-shot field (22-23 yards maybe?) and the game ended in a tie with (I think) the Chargers.

My aunt was a nurse in Buffalo and Ralph W was in there (I do not remember why) and the nurse who cared for him was the one who drew the short straw!

AND, as you were referring to, if Kemp made ANY mistake, the stadium began (phonetic) chants of "DAR-REL, DAR-REL, DAR-REL, DAR-REL.

It's amazing how that one game changed the psyche of so many of us. I suppose you can include the Comeback game as well. But for years, and years I watched every second of every game (that I could) saying that the Bills could still win. Afterall, I had seen them come back from much worse.

I'd say the most depressing thing about the team over the last few years has been the losing of that feeling. I don't know exactly when it happened, but it certainly did. Now, I watch games and no matter the lead, I watch every second of the game saying that they can still lose. Afterall, I've seen them blow easier wins.

After the last 2 weeks, it's refreshing to see that old feeling of the Bills circling the wagons coming back. I won't pretend to have ultimate confidence in the team, yet. But, they really do look like a good team, a solid team, a team that never quits. And for years, that's all I've wanted - to watch a team that tried to win as much I cheered for them to win.

Great game and it did give us a sense that the Bills could win no matter what. However, the comeback game was the clincher. That was the game that turned my, then 5 year old, oldest son into a fan for life. Of course his younger brother caught the fever as soon as he was old enough to understand and his brother coached him to never give up on the Bills.

The boys are now in their early twenties but my oldest who is in town and I are getting ready to make the weekly pilgrimage to the local sports bar, and the youngest who is in Orlando will be watching at a frat house or a local bar. We will call each other back and forth during the game exchanging congrats or bitching about a bad call by the refs, etc. At the end of the day, win or lose, we'll be looking forward to next week with optomism.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!