A Word to the Younguns

ChevyVanMiller

For anyone under 25 who may not remember anything about what it was like during the 4 Super Bowl years here's a piece of advice: Enjoy the team and the wins however they may come.

Even though those early '90s teams won the overwhelmimg majority of their games, you never would have known it listening to some of the fans. Talk shows (hardly anyone had internet) were clogged with bitching "fans" that disected the game to the point where the joy was taken out of it.

If Kelly threw for 300 yards they'd complain about the one pick he threw (instead of enjoyig the 4 TDs). If Thurman ran for 150, they'd say he should have had 200 if the line had only blocked better. If Bruuuuuuce had 2 sacks, they'd point out that he gave up a big run to the opposing back. If the Bills won 31-13, they'd whine that the game was too close at halftime.

What I'm getting at is that this year's team is reminding me more and more of those glory year teams. Many of the people waxing nostalgic about the Super Bowl years did not enjoy those games as they were happening. They put the Bills under a microscope and sucked the joy out of the games. I sat at many a game in the stadium and many in a local watering hole only to listen to folks that just couldn't stand prosperity.

I've greatly enjoyed these last three games and I don't care if the Bills beat St. Louis by 40 tomorrow or by 4 at the buzzer. To borrow a phrase from Raider Nation: Just win baby. I like where this roller coaster is heading.

I was a young teenager when I really started watching the Bills with a "true passion" during the 1988 season, so I was spoiled at the start but taken back down to earth these last 10 or so years. I remember how the fans were during the glory years and we have evryone who are the best fans in any sport to some of the worst. I'll never forget this one total moron I worked with who said and I quote " the Bills need to get rid of Kelly and draft a quarterback from Notre Dame". Not a specific QB mind you, just a QB from Notre Dame?!?!?! :o:thumbsup::lol: This was around 95 or so but it was one of the most idiotic comments I've ever heard anywhere and have just never been able to forget it. Anyways, while I think we have been a little lucky so far being pretty healthy and our opponents being a little banged up for once, I'm not gonna apologize for beating their sorry asses and enjoy each and every win! <_<

Great post. <_<

I'm 26 and I grew up during the glory years. My brothers and I enjoyed every game the way they should be enjoyed. During those years, I never felt as though we were out of a game because the Bills always seemed to find a way to win. That mentality has stuck with me until maybe the last few years after the Bills have broken my heart again and again. For example. last week at no point did I think we were going to win. Those are the games the new bills always lose. Hopefully, this season will remedy that feeling.

For anyone under 25 who may not remember anything about what it was like during the 4 Super Bowl years here's a piece of advice: Enjoy the team and the wins however they may come.

Even though those early '90s teams won the overwhelmimg majority of their games, you never would have known it listening to some of the fans. Talk shows (hardly anyone had internet) were clogged with bitching "fans" that disected the game to the point where the joy was taken out of it.

If Kelly threw for 300 yards they'd complain about the one pick he threw (instead of enjoyig the 4 TDs). If Thurman ran for 150, they'd say he should have had 200 if the line had only blocked better. If Bruuuuuuce had 2 sacks, they'd point out that he gave up a big run to the opposing back. If the Bills won 31-13, they'd whine that the game was too close at halftime.

What I'm getting at is that this year's team is reminding me more and more of those glory year teams. Many of the people waxing nostalgic about the Super Bowl years did not enjoy those games as they were happening. They put the Bills under a microscope and sucked the joy out of the games. I sat at many a game in the stadium and many in a local watering hole only to listen to folks that just couldn't stand prosperity.

I've greatly enjoyed these last three games and I don't care if the Bills beat St. Louis by 40 tomorrow or by 4 at the buzzer. To borrow a phrase from Raider Nation: Just win baby. I like where this roller coaster is heading.

No kidding. How many times did callers demand that Kelly be benched for Reich? Thurman be traded? Bruce Smith be let go? It's kind of like how BillsZone.com is now. <_<

PTR

I'm 26 and I grew up during the glory years. My brothers and I enjoyed every game the way they should be enjoyed. During those years, I never felt as though we were out of a game because the Bills always seemed to find a way to win. That mentality has stuck with me until maybe the last few years after the Bills have broken my heart again and again. For example. last week at no point did I think we were going to win. Those are the games the new bills always lose. Hopefully, this season will remedy that feeling.

They didn't always find a way to win. But from the moment they scored three touchdowns in 70+ seconds against Denver in 1990 (was it 1990? Lori? Little help?), you knew they were never actually out of a game until the final whistle blew.

No kidding. How many times did callers demand that Kelly be benched for Reich? Thurman be traded? Bruce Smith be let go? It's kind of like how BillsZone.com is now. <_<

PTR

You are right about that. But those weekly videos in HD are the best. It's the only reason to go over to that website. I'm downloading them each week so I can have a 2008 yearbook like no other. Just to let you know they just finished the Raiders - Bills highlights.

They didn't always find a way to win. But from the moment they scored three touchdowns in 70+ seconds against Denver in 1990 (was it 1990? Lori? Little help?), you knew they were never actually out of a game until the final whistle blew.

It's amazing how that one game changed the psyche of so many of us. I suppose you can include the Comeback game as well. But for years, and years I watched every second of every game (that I could) saying that the Bills could still win. Afterall, I had seen them come back from much worse.

I'd say the most depressing thing about the team over the last few years has been the losing of that feeling. I don't know exactly when it happened, but it certainly did. Now, I watch games and no matter the lead, I watch every second of the game saying that they can still lose. Afterall, I've seen them blow easier wins.

After the last 2 weeks, it's refreshing to see that old feeling of the Bills circling the wagons coming back. I won't pretend to have ultimate confidence in the team, yet. But, they really do look like a good team, a solid team, a team that never quits. And for years, that's all I've wanted - to watch a team that tried to win as much I cheered for them to win.

Great Post!

I have really enjoyed the past couple of years under Levy, Brandon Jauron and Co. The team just has a different feel, I can't help but get caught up. I did not feel as much energy surrounding this team during previous regimes since the Polian/Levy Dynasty!! This year I feel that even if they lose a game, they are capable of bouncing right back next week regardless of the opponent! <_<

So you're just saying don't take anything for granted? No problem, that's a good lesson.

But I gotta tell you, I have been enjoying ALL these wins and have nothing bad to say! These have been an awesome couple weeks. Football is back and were lookin good.

Besides, after enduring all those non-playoff seasons, who can take anything for granted?