Charlie Casserly's article on CBS Sportsline

The Dean

I hope this isn't a repeat post. I looked around and did a search and didn't see it. If it is, please merge into another thread. Thanks

Casserly's evaluation of the Bills (linked on the front page of TBD) is as good as one can expect from a national sports source. As a former GM, Casserly obviously knows something about evaluating talent (at least he should), and while there isn't anything here that an informed Bills fan doesn't already know, it is a carefully, and relatively complete, look at the Bills' transition over the past couple of years.

Enjoy:

http://www.sportsline.com/cbssports/story/10980408

I hope this isn't a repeat post. I looked around and did a search and didn't see it. If it is, please merge into another thread. Thanks

Casserly's evaluation of the Bills (linked on the front page of TBD) is as good as one can expect from a national sports source. As a former GM, Casserly obviously knows something about evaluating talent (at least he should), and while there isn't anything here that an informed Bills fan doesn't already know, it is a carefully, and relatively complete, look at the Bills' transition over the past couple of years.

Enjoy:

Read that, and I think you're right when saying "there isn't anything here that an informed Bills fan doesn't already know". It makes me realize that we live in a very focused bubble within this community, and are far ahead of the power curve in terms of (a) immediate information from local reporters (or so we hope) and (b) interpretation thereof. Casserly's piece is....well, nice, I guess. I'm of two minds. Yes, I like seeing that the Bills are starting to get some props, but, golly, the team has a long way to go. It's a 16-game season, last I checked. My opinion means nothing, of course, but it's refreshing that the team members (from what I can read of the interviews) are taking the same approach.

Next week is next week. Bring the lunch pail.

Enjoy:

I'm not sure Schobel and Kelsay are good passrushers because they don't put enough consistent pressure on...well I guess it depends on one's definition of good.I'd say average to above average. Other than that its a good article to explain the Bills to non-fans

Love the picture of Posluszny just before he practically takes MJD's head off.

On an additional note, they are in good cap position to keep Evans AND Peters. Besides Evans, the only other starters with contracts expiring soon are McGee in 2009, Greer in 2008, and Crowell this season. It's clear that drafting CB's, as much as I initially hated it, may have a benefit down the road. I have a feeling they'll be talking to Edwards' rep after the season.

All in all, the future seems bright. Now, it's about getting into and winning in the playoffs.

Love the picture of Posluszny just before he practically takes MJD's head off.

On an additional note, they are in good cap position to keep Evans AND Peters. Besides Evans, the only other starters with contracts expiring soon are McGee in 2009, Greer in 2008, and Crowell this season. It's clear that drafting CB's, as much as I initially hated it, may have a benefit down the road. I have a feeling they'll be talking to Edwards' rep after the season.

All in all, the future seems bright. Now, it's about getting into and winning in the playoffs.

Those guys may prefer to stay if they think they are on the cusp of a SB.

I'm not sure Schobel and Kelsay are good passrushers because they don't put enough consistent pressure on...well I guess it depends on one's definition of good.I'd say average to above average. Other than that its a good article to explain the Bills to non-fans

now that we finally have a serious DT, let's see how Schobel and Kelsay perform with Marcus Stroud tying up blockers :thumbsup:

Hes about the only one that knew Mario Williams would be better than Reggis bush.

I think anybody who recognized the significantly inferior competition RBush regularly played against recognized that he was wildly over-rated. Then again when you consider all the ridiculous talk of them being some kind of dynasty when they weren't even one of the 5 best teams in the country, maybe Casserly was one of the only ones. :thumbsup:

Hes about the only one that knew Mario Williams would be better than Reggis bush.

I'm still kinda of torn on that. A great DE is always harder to find than a rb. And Reggie Bush won't ever be an every down back, but he affects teh game in so many ways. He is a great punter returner (returned on last week) and is arguably teh top pass catching back in football. Also, he's been to the playoffs. Not too shabby.

There are some classy Pats fans out there. Check out this post replying to the article:

irst i'd like to state i've been a life long Patriots fan, but have always respected the Bills team and organization. The best thing they did was bring back Levy,he gave them the guidance and self-respect they had lost since the Kelly days. He brought in the right front office people, scouts, and a coach who could work with and teach a young team. The Wilsons' did good in keeping the same people at Marv's second retirement, not losing sight and focus on what makes a good NFL franchise, continuity(see Steelers and Oakland as examples of what and what not to do). You rarely if never heard of a slew of arrests coming from Buffalo. Not down playing Lynchs' off-season arrest/citation for drunk driving etc. Don't think many young men who find themselves millionares over night wouldn't get insome sorta trouble. Its just you didn't see murder,assault, and drug charges from a multitude of players. Don't need to mention those teams. And the second biggest headline from up state you got was Peters hold out. The team stood pat and said nothing will be discussed til we see you in camp. Good for them to sticking to their guns and telling the player to honor his contract till we see your performance on the field. And I can't say enough of the drafting and player development that has taken place over the last few years. With the right minds in the draft room; that alone will help a team over the long haul. In stead of chasing after every big name free agent/ or trade that comes up in the off season. That just seems to handcuff every team in cap hell or at best short term band aid fix. All in all i just see a team and organization that is building itself the right way for the long haul. Best of Luck to the Bills and their fans. Looking forward to a competive fight for the AFC east for a few years now.

Decent write-up. Bit longwinded but overall nice to read. Only guy he missed, and to me this was blatant, was Donte Whitner. He's MUCH more a key to the Bills defensive identity and success than Poz is, at this point, and easily more than Greer ever will be, and should have gotten that acknowledgement in this article.

Read that, and I think you're right when saying "there isn't anything here that an informed Bills fan doesn't already know". It makes me realize that we live in a very focused bubble within this community, and are far ahead of the power curve in terms of (a) immediate information from local reporters (or so we hope) and (b) interpretation thereof. Casserly's piece is....well, nice, I guess. I'm of two minds. Yes, I like seeing that the Bills are starting to get some props, but, golly, the team has a long way to go. It's a 16-game season, last I checked. My opinion means nothing, of course, but it's refreshing that the team members (from what I can read of the interviews) are taking the same approach.

Next week is next week. Bring the lunch pail.

It's the internet that makes you so well informed. I know as much about what is going on with the Bills as anyone in WNY, and I am thousands of miles away. My take on Casserly's article - he's read some news reports online, and not gone over the top in criticism or praise.