Vince Young may be done for good

Guest dog14787
Quite honestly... if he can't handle the boo's or letting people down; then he needs to find a different job. Because let's face it, no one that's in the public eye pleases everyone all the time. And no one has ever won every football game they've ever been in. So, again, if he can't handle the criticism and failures that comes with being a star in the NFL - it really is best for him to just retire and do something else with his life. He'd probably be a happier person in the end.

You could be right, theres a ton of pressure on you with millions of people watching, but a healthier way to approach it would be to seek proper guidance and counciling and learn to face adversity because life itself is full of ups and downs. You can't run away from everything, especially your biggest hopes and dreams.

You make a good point though, I just hope its not the case with Vince Young, way to much talent and he's to fun to watch.

I miss the exitment Michael Vick brought to the game, I don't want to see the NFL lose another superstar.

The NFL needs players like Vince Young.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was really really strange when it was revealed this offseason that he thought about quitting after his rookie year, but now everything was fine...........He had a great rookie year, and was incredible vs. the Bills. When he wanted to quit after that, I thought something is really messed up. This makes more sense than that would have.

Where is Vince Lombardi when you need him... With all the drama going on, he must be rolling over in his grave...

From the violent world of HoF LB Sam Huff.

Sam Huff

Coach Jim Lee Howell agreed that Sam was a quality athlete but admitted he didn't know where to play him. Discouraged, Sam left camp and headed for the airport. There he was intercepted by assistant coach Vince Lombardi who lectured him on the merits of guts and determination and coaxed him back to camp.

The rest is history.

The only problem with Vince Young is that he SUCKS, he has sucked since he entered the league, and his team wins despite him. He is probably coming to realize that phenominal college athletes who excel at the QB position at that level rarely make good NFL QBs (see Vick, Culpepper, Russel, Jackson, possibly Leftwich, Stewart, etc.). I can only think of McNabb as excelling in the NFL and he ran a complex offense at SU with many formations and pre-snap shifts.

I think the problem is that these guys are so good in college beause they are so much more talented than the average college athlete that they succeed on that talent alone. That doesn't cut it in the NFL. You have to be able to put in the film hours and understand defenses and make very quick decisions. That's the downfall of a lot of QBs (Bledsoe, RJ, Alex Smith, Losman, just to name a few) and why a guy like Noodle Arm Pennington is still in the league - he knows where to go with the ball.

So to get back to Vince, I think he's realizing that he's not a good QB and instead of trying to fight through it, he's crumbling like the pampered baby athlete he's probably been all his life. When the going gets tough, the pampered collapse. Whaaaa, they booed me at home! I'm going back to Texas!

RTB

Where is Vince Lombardi when you need him... With all the drama going on, he must be rolling over in his grave...

From the violent world of HoF LB Sam Huff.

Sam Huff

Coach Jim Lee Howell agreed that Sam was a quality athlete but admitted he didn't know where to play him. Discouraged, Sam left camp and headed for the airport. There he was intercepted by assistant coach Vince Lombardi who lectured him on the merits of guts and determination and coaxed him back to camp.

The rest is history.

Well, thank you for offering that cure for clinical depression.

He is probably coming to realize that phenominal college athletes who excel at the QB position at that level rarely make good NFL QBs (see Vick, Culpepper, Russel, Jackson, possibly Leftwich, Stewart, etc.). I can only think of McNabb as excelling in the NFL and he ran a complex offense at SU with many formations and pre-snap shifts.

Is this Jamarcus Russell you are throwing in with that group? You already know that he's a bust? He was FAR from the most athletic player on the field during his time at LSU. He was not a runner. He was a pocket passer with a cannon arm, who completed over 70% of his passes in the toughest conference in the NCAA. I'd give the guy more than single-digit starts before I start casting him aside. He DOES play for the Raiders....I'm not sure Peyton Manning wins 6 games there.

As for Culpepper, tough to lump him in with that group too...He quarterbacked one of the most prolific offenses of all-time (although we've seen what a motivated Randy Moss can do for statistics on offense.) Up until his devastating knee injury, he produced.

And with Vick, say what you want about his passing, his attitude, his off-the-field endeavors, his criminal record, his inability to be a team leader, etc. All of those things are valid arguments, and a major reason why Vick's career will likely go down as more hype than substance. However, the Falcons' record from 2001-2006 in games that Vick started was 38-28-1 (plus 2-2 in the playoffs,) while games that Vick didn't play they were 9-20. It's hard to look at that and say they were "winning despite him."

With regard to your argument, as dynamic as Vick was, I do think he held the Falcons back a bit. He just didn't seem like a guy the team rallied around. I think Vince Young is pretty comparable to him (on the field only!) but not so much with Culpepper (and Russell we just don't know about yet.)

Its also interesting that only black QB's can be "phenomenal college athletes." I wasn't aware of that. Leftwich was a phenomenal athlete? Huh? Why include him in that group and not someone like Eric Crouch?

Hopefully Vince is just bumming out about his leg injury, as would be normal for any pro athlete. Perhaps a combination of the leg injury and a bruised ego? The Tennessee fans were giving Vince an earful, but what can you say? My father was in Yankee Stadium and heard Mickey Mantle get booed. It happens all the time, and no one is immune. He can't let that get him down.

For all we know, it could have nothing to do with his injury. Maybe everyone expects him to be Mr. Macho Super Stud Quarterback, but that's not really who he is. If VY feels like he's trapped into living a lie, that could be depressing the hell out of him.

So to get back to Vince, I think he's realizing that he's not a good QB and instead of trying to fight through it, he's crumbling like the pampered baby athlete he's probably been all his life. When the going gets tough, the pampered collapse. Whaaaa, they booed me at home! I'm going back to Texas!

Harsh but spot on IMO.

The horrible thing about "extremely depressed" is that it's really freakin' deadly. The great thing about it is that it's really freakin' treatable.

Regardless...I haven't heard any statements from Young's pshrink (any psychiatrist - I haven't even heard if Young's seeing one or not) so far. What's more, I would question the professionalism and competence of one that divulged such information.

Ever hear of patient confidentiality? remember the VT shootings? Nobody was aloowed to say he was a whackjob until it was to late. Ya its messed up but its the law

while he hasn't put it together yet, in the ncaa and his first year we saw that VY has sick sick tools that could make him a great nfl player.

that said, he is just too much of a kitty to do it. collins, his backup, wimped out of his first two teams before making it to a superbowl w the giants, so maybe VY can man up.

while he hasn't put it together yet, in the ncaa and his first year we saw that VY has sick sick tools that could make him a great nfl player.

that said, he is just too much of a kitty to do it. collins, his backup, wimped out of his first two teams before making it to a superbowl w the giants, so maybe VY can man up.

Don't forget VY wimped out on his team last year in crunch time!

Tenny won't be a serious Super Bowl contender with Collins, but they may be better to just starting moving forward now.

That night in the gay bar dancing around with his shirt off changed everything...

I remember the discussion on this board months ago about that infamous picture. At the time I really didn't think it suggested all that much, but was it taken at a known gay establishment? The NFL is notoriously homophobic, I can't help but wonder, if VY does happen to be, if that could be a factor in all this.

Yep, Vince ought to start packing his bags. Titans just signed Chris Simms.

Simms was kicking it with the Bucs before his spleen injury a couple years ago.

He is 100% now and is a huge upgrade over Young if you looking for a traditional style QB. Give him some time in the system he could make them a very tough opponent in NFC south.

I would rather the Bills had to face a "demoralized Vince Young" than a "Let me show you I can still play" Chris Simms.

One other note there, Titans are trying to install the "west coast", Vince couldn't get it, Simms already knows it.

Clinical depression. probably the most over-diagnosed and over-medicated ailment in our society.

I can believe he's caving in under a lot of pressure. Keep him away from the shrinks and everything will probably be OK.

You want to tell that to the thousands and thousands of people who suffer from that debilitating disease? You want to tell people on the brink of suicide that they're being overmedicated? You want to tell the families that lost loved ones that their dead relatives weren't actually suffering from anything?

If Young is suffering from clinical depression, saying"keep him away from the shrinks" is like telling a person in the early stages of cancer to "stay away from the oncologists"