DJ as our Coach

PNW_Bills_Fan

For the past tow years and going into this year the thing people complained about most with DJ was the fact they didn't think he could have a dynamic offense. They said he played games not to lose. Well this first game either showed a difference in philosophy or that DJ for two years took the blame for an inept OC. These guys were fun to watch. I think this shows how good of a coach DJ is. I realize this is one game. I realize we could go 1-15, but I don't think we will. I think TS was a awesome choice for OC. I loved the way he called the game. If PF doesn't watch out he is going to be a Head Coach candidate. DJ has put the right coaches around him. He is getting the talent he needs to win and I think we are going to be seeing DJ for a while around here. He is a good coach. Better than what some of us give him credit for.

For the past tow years and going into this year the thing people complained about most with DJ was the fact they didn't think he could have a dynamic offense. They said he played games not to lose. Well this first game either showed a difference in philosophy or that DJ for two years took the blame for an inept OC. These guys were fun to watch. I think this shows how good of a coach DJ is. I realize this is one game. I realize we could go 1-15, but I don't think we will. I think TS was a awesome choice for OC. I loved the way he called the game. If PF doesn't watch out he is going to be a Head Coach candidate. DJ has put the right coaches around him. He is getting the talent he needs to win and I think we are going to be seeing DJ for a while around here. He is a good coach. Better than what some of us give him credit for.

I was pleased to see the offense remain somewhat aggressive even with the lead. Its important that the coach shows confidence in the abilities of his players. Obviously, with the way things were going last year, its understandable that DJ wanted to play it close to the vest. We should see the agressiveness of the offense and the defense as a sign that DJ and the coaching staff are finally comfortable with the talent assembled to execute a broader gameplan.

Lets hope that the Bills can come down here to the Florida heat next week and put a hurtin' on the Jags!

GO BILLS!!!

I was pleased to see the offense remain somewhat aggressive even with the lead. Its important that the coach shows confidence in the abilities of his players. Obviously, with the way things were going last year, its understandable that DJ wanted to play it close to the vest. We should see the agressiveness of the offense and the defense as a sign that DJ and the coaching staff are finally comfortable with the talent assembled to execute a broader gameplan.

Lets hope that the Bills can come down here to the Florida heat next week and put a hurtin' on the Jags!

GO BILLS!!!

Totally agree, much more creative

GO BILLS!!!

The thing that stuck out for me was the pass to Royal for a TD. It happened right after the Seahawk's fumble. On that play the Bills did what good teams do, they put the game away.

I can't help but think that last year that 1st play would have been a run off left tackle.

The thing that stuck out for me was the pass to Royal for a TD. It happened right after the Seahawk's fumble. On that play the Bills did what good teams do, they put the game away.

I can't help but think that last year that 1st play would have been a run off left tackle.

Jauron coached teams haven't won very often on opening day, so give him credit for that. Clearly the Seahawks were not as prepared and missing several starters hurt them, but the Bills took it to them. Nice to see some killer instinct from the team.

Hold on now, Dick Jauron DESERVED the criticisms. As you can see, the fans who were demanding a wide open, creative and unpredictable offense all throughout that death march of a '07 season were right! For whatever reason DJ failed and/or refused to adjust to what was clearly NOT working from the very beginning of last season. Obviously he headed the call for a change. He knew deep down that he was a goner if he did not change his ultra conservative and predictable play not to lose ways. I commend him on this much improved coaching style! Major props to Dick Jauron! Just like Tom Coughlin headed the call for a change, it looks like Dick Jauron was man enough to do it also. This is a BIG development Bills fans. Look what that change did for the Giants fortunes.

Hold on now, Dick Jauron DESERVED the criticisms. As you can see, the fans who were demanding a wide open, creative and unpredictable offense all throughout that death march of a '07 season were right! For whatever reason DJ failed and/or refused to adjust to what was clearly NOT working from the very beginning of last season. Obviously he headed the call for a change. He knew deep down that he was a goner if he did not change his ultra conservative and predictable play not to lose ways. I commend him on this much improved coaching style! Major props to Dick Jauron! Just like Tom Coughlin headed the call for a change, it looks like Dick Jauron was man enough to do it also. This is a BIG development Bills fans. Look what that change did for the Giants fortunes.

As a leader you can ask the people under you to make adjustments, and if they don't you have to weigh how you are going to handle it. I think SF knew his time was done as a bills OC. We do not know this, but I believe DJ was covering for a assistant that was not trusting his players. I think DJ is the type of guy to let his coaches, coach and then he deals with the consequences. He probably gives lots of imput, but it is up to them to gameplan and call plays.

When we lose...it's Jauron's fault. When we win...DJ did nothing. :lol:

PTR

What a crock of stojan. Jauron's "coaching style" hasn't changed -- the talent on the football field (and on the sidelines) has.

i dont know if im surprised or not that you were able to spin this into "Jauron finally listened to me" :lol:

you dont think he really got that Open Letter.. do you? :lol:

What a crock of stojan. Jauron's "coaching style" hasn't changed -- the talent on the football field (and on the sidelines) has.

Yep.

It's amazing when you get a QB you trust, you give him a season to learn the NFL and you let him play, you've suddenly changed. You get a run stuffer, better LBs and suddenly you've changed.

The real story-up until this season when they added key defensive players, groomed the QB they trust, the RB has more experience than last year etc, they did not have the talent to play any other way than to play not to lose. Now this team has talent.

Watch how dumb the genius Belichick looks without Brady. He's going to suddenly seem a lot more conservative.

I gotta disagree... I respect DJ as a coach, he is loved by the players, maintains his cool and usually has his team well prepared for the games. He has his faults like any coach. Where he falls down badly is blind support for his coaching staff, the textbook case being Fairchild. He defended him when he was wrong and there's no indication (at least as far as I can tell) that any change was forthcoming if Fairchild didn't get offered the CSU job. DJ didn't head any call; he merely promoted from within when his OC left for a better job and it sure looks like it was a good, if not great choice.

As a leader you can ask the people under you to make adjustments, and if they don't you have to weigh how you are going to handle it. I think SF knew his time was done as a bills OC. We do not know this, but I believe DJ was covering for a assistant that was not trusting his players. I think DJ is the type of guy to let his coaches, coach and then he deals with the consequences. He probably gives lots of imput, but it is up to them to gameplan and call plays.

this is probably much closer to the truth...

I doubt Jauron believed he had the personnel on offense or defense to open up the offense last season. He's smart enough to realize that you can potentially score 25 to 30 points a game, but the risk of losing, i.e. 42 to 24, becomes greater if you don't have a defense that is built to handle the time on the field. With all the injuries, he probably figured that they would get blown out due to offensive turnovers and a weak d. I'm not saying the play-calling had nothing to do with it - cause it did, but the personnel is just as big of a part and if the coach doesn't think it's there, why run through the motions and fail. DJ gave the team the best chance to win last season with the players that were healthy and I think he's doing the same thing this season.

As much as he frustrated me at times, I though DJ was the right coach for a team as talent-starved and in upheaval as the Bills have been the last two years. The team badly needed a stabilizing influence, which he provided. The question for me was always whether he could take a team with more talent to the next level. Based on the look of things, we should have our answer by the end of the season. I like the impression so far, but I'm not going to go overboard praising him just yet.

Yep.

It's amazing when you get a QB you trust, you give him a season to learn the NFL and you let him play, you've suddenly changed. You get a run stuffer, better LBs and suddenly you've changed.

The real story-up until this season when they added key defensive players, groomed the QB they trust, the RB has more experience than last year etc, they did not have the talent to play any other way than to play not to lose. Now this team has talent.

Watch how dumb the genius Belichick looks without Brady. He's going to suddenly seem a lot more conservative.

It amazes me how this "Jauron is too conservative and plays not to lose" belief among certain fans is self-perpetuating. At yesterday's game, some moron in front of me was screaming at Jauron because the Bills did not "take a shot at the endzone" at the end of the 1st half with :05 on the clock -- after they had just thrown the ball three times to get into FG range when they could have easily run out the clock. The guy was literally red-faced, he was so upset at the "conservative" Jauron.

Then, after the fake FG TD, fumbled kick return, and TD pass on three consecutive plays in the 3rd quarter, I leaned over and said, "yeah, it's too bad we have a conservative jackass for a coach who doesn't want to win."

It's TALENT, people, and knowing when you can trust that talent in pressure situations.

I don't doubt that we had problems last year. You can blame SF, but in reality the buck stops with the head coach. Still, it's refreshing to see such a remarkable change from last year. For the first time in a while I felt as if we had the ability (not that is always happened) to make any third down situation. After the offense warmed up it got really entertaining.

I don't doubt that we had problems last year. You can blame SF, but in reality the buck stops with the head coach. Still, it's refreshing to see such a remarkable change from last year. For the first time in a while I felt as if we had the ability (not that is always happened) to make any third down situation. After the offense warmed up it got really entertaining.

Very refreshing! I saw it in that pre-season Pittsburgh game and was so pleased to see them take the new approach into a game that counted. Throwing the ball to Lynch, throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd downs, throwing the ball into the endzone, trying to score points at the end of a half, all the while keeping a steading diet of running the ball. Like I said, Coughlin turned over a new leaf last year and it looks as if Jauron has done the same. I like this new "crazy" Dick Jauron!

I would like to see the screams from the fans here if on 3rd and 11 from the 21 we ran Marshawn into the line and he got caught for a one yard loss like it looked like could have happened. People would have been screaming that we were too conservative. Instead, it's a ballsy great call. Another in an endless series of a play is a good call if it works, and it's not if it doesn't. We weren't conservative at all in this game, but that's because the way the game played out. They knew Seattle was under-manned. We always seemed to have at least a 7-10 point lead. We saw that Stroud and the DL was controlling the LOS. That all allows you to be less conservative.