DJ as our Coach

PNW_Bills_Fan

I would like to see the screams from the fans here if on 3rd and 11 from the 21 we ran Marshawn into the line and he got caught for a one yard loss like it looked like could have happened. People would have been screaming that we were too conservative. Instead, it's a ballsy great call. Another in an endless series of a play is a good call if it works, and it's not if it doesn't. We weren't conservative at all in this game, but that's because the way the game played out. They knew Seattle was under-manned. We always seemed to have at least a 7-10 point lead. We saw that Stroud and the DL was controlling the LOS. That all allows you to be less conservative.

That was a ballzy call. But if it had not worked, I think that Bills fans would have at least been able to see that up until that point the Bills offensive game plan was intent on keeping the Seahawks defense off balance and that was an example of that intent. As for having a stout defense, wouldn't that lend itself to a coach's tendency to leaning towards a more conservative offense? My whole thing is that the conservative approach is a losing approach and I'm glad that the Bills have left those stink bomb conservative predictable game plans of '07 in the dust. There's no reason for the Bills to play conservative again unless they're up by three touchdowns.

That was a ballzy call. But if it had not worked, I think that Bills fans would have at least been able to see that up until that point the Bills offensive game plan was intent on keeping the Seahawks defense off balance and that was an example of that intent. As for having a stout defense, wouldn't that lend itself to a coach's tendency to leaning towards a more conservative offense? My whole thing is that the conservative approach is a losing approach and I'm glad that the Bills have left those stink bomb conservative predictable game plans of '07 in the dust. There's no reason for the Bills to play conservative again unless they're up by three touchdowns.

Completely agree. The Bills as a team and a coaching staff played even better than I thought they would against a solid team. And the fact that the Seahawks had a couple of injuries doesn't lessen what Buffalo did to them. The offense was not predictable. I think we may have thrown on more first downs in this game than we did all last season. But seriously, those people who said that Jauron was a terrible coach are finding out that if he is given the right talent he can make things happen. eball is right on with that comment.

P.S. I don't see krazykat in this discussion. I wonder why? Perhaps he hasn't finished his plate of crow?

I gotta disagree... I respect DJ as a coach, he is loved by the players, maintains his cool and usually has his team well prepared for the games. He has his faults like any coach. Where he falls down badly is blind support for his coaching staff, the textbook case being Fairchild. He defended him when he was wrong and there's no indication (at least as far as I can tell) that any change was forthcoming if Fairchild didn't get offered the CSU job. DJ didn't head any call; he merely promoted from within when his OC left for a better job and it sure looks like it was a good, if not great choice.

this is probably much closer to the truth...

I think your first statement is dead wrong. Nothing about the end of last season showed that DJ had faith in SF. In fact most people in the Buffalo News Media and on this board were pretty sure that if he hadn't been saved by the hiring at CSU, he likely WOULD HAVE BEEN CANNED. I don't buy any of that other bs. As for hiring from within, it didn't look as if the FO made a bad call on Sunday. Schonert has a huge wealth of NFL coaching experience and played in a dynamic and unpredictable offense under Sam Wyche. That wasn't a bad call, that was using the talent you already had to make the team better. Did the offense look like it was bad Sunday? I think not.

I think your first statement is dead wrong. Nothing about the end of last season showed that DJ had faith in SF. In fact most people in the Buffalo News Media and on this board were pretty sure that if he hadn't been saved by the hiring at CSU, he likely WOULD HAVE BEEN CANNED. I don't buy any of that other bs. As for hiring from within, it didn't look as if the FO made a bad call on Sunday. Schonert has a huge wealth of NFL coaching experience and played in a dynamic and unpredictable offense under Sam Wyche. That wasn't a bad call, that was using the talent you already had to make the team better. Did the offense look like it was bad Sunday? I think not.

There was zero indication that Jauron did anything with Fairchild and let the train wreck that was the offense go on without taking over like he should have. Can you tell me you saw any difference in the last 3-4 games than the previous 12-13? I sure didn't. We were very predictable, we rarely played to our strengths, we never ran basic high school kinds of plays like play action and roll outs and swing passes, etc. Jauron showed great faith in Fairchild by simply not forcing him to change. I also don't recall much if any talk by the Buffalo Media that Fairchild would have been fired. Maybe there was but I don't recall that at all.

Guest dog14787
There was zero indication that Jauron did anything with Fairchild and let the train wreck that was the offense go on without taking over like he should have. Can you tell me you saw any difference in the last 3-4 games than the previous 12-13? I sure didn't. We were very predictable, we rarely played to our strengths, we never ran basic high school kinds of plays like play action and roll outs and swing passes, etc. Jauron showed great faith in Fairchild by simply not forcing him to change. I also don't recall much if any talk by the Buffalo Media that Fairchild would have been fired. Maybe there was but I don't recall that at all.

Dick Jauron is a good head coach, OC he is not, Jauron's way to conservative to run an offense, If Jauron did try to help, it would probably just mean adding more running plays to the game plan. :lol:

I'm sure Dick Jauron knew we had a problem, I'm just not sure what he could do about it, especially if Steve Fairchild had given some indication he might be leaving. Now if the problems had been more on the defensive side of the ball, I could see DJ stepping in and taking over.

you're right Kelly. There was no indication he was going to make a change. The media was bitching about the play calling and of course the same things on the message boards and in the bars. DJ never even hinted anything, other than this year, he acknowledged some or most of the generic offensive problems.

I totally agree about Schonert, that's what I was trying to say in my original post. The only questionable part was that he had never coached at an OC level in the pros. And as we both are saying (I think), it turned out to be a great decision.

Another thought here. His players respect him tremendously and that goes a long way towards wins...We have not had a coach since Marv that the players respected and played hard for. Think about that next time you want to trash the boring old dude. He just needs players

Another thought here. His players respect him tremendously and that goes a long way towards wins...We have not had a coach since Marv that the players respected and played hard for. Think about that next time you want to trash the boring old dude. He just needs players

He is getting the players. Wow are we on the rise. I am not sure we are a contender yet, but of TE keeps developing we will be dangerouse for years to come.

I like the discipline our team showed on Sunday - it looked like a well coached team playing together. They didn't do stupid things to hurt themselves by getting penalties and taking unnecessary risks.

It's easy to appreciate the quality of our coaching right after having watched the Raiders tonight. What an undisciplined mess of a football team.

GO BILLS!!!

Completely agree. The Bills as a team and a coaching staff played even better than I thought they would against a solid team. And the fact that the Seahawks had a couple of injuries doesn't lessen what Buffalo did to them. The offense was not predictable. I think we may have thrown on more first downs in this game than we did all last season. But seriously, those people who said that Jauron was a terrible coach are finding out that if he is given the right talent he can make things happen. eball is right on with that comment.

I bet Bears fans in Chicago were saying the same thing in 2001.

Bottom line: it is one game in a season that is looking like the ball will be bouncing the Bills way.