The End Of World Is At Hand!

molson_golden2002

We're Doomed!!!

Enjoy the game today! :beer:

GENEVA - It has been called an Alice in Wonderland investigation into the makeup of the universe — or dangerous tampering with nature that could spell doomsday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever the case, the most powerful atom-smasher ever built comes online Wednesday, eagerly anticipated by scientists worldwide who have awaited this moment for two decades.

The multibillion-dollar Large Hadron Collider will explore the tiniest particles and come ever closer to re-enacting the big bang, the theory that a colossal explosion created the universe.

The machine at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, promises scientists a closer look at the makeup of matter, filling in gaps in knowledge or possibly reshaping theories.

The first beams of protons will be fired around the 17-mile tunnel to test the controlling strength of the world's largest superconducting magnets. It will still be about a month before beams traveling in opposite directions are brought together in collisions that some skeptics fear could create micro "black holes" and endanger the planet.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080907/ap_on_...GO94AzD0yys0NUE

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first beams of protons will be fired around the 17-mile tunnel to test the controlling strength of the world's largest superconducting magnets. It will still be about a month before beams traveling in opposite directions are brought together in collisions that some skeptics fear could create micro "black holes" and endanger the planet.

"Skeptics"? Can't we just call them what they are: overreactive idiots?

Somewhere, Dwight Drane is piling all of his stocked up silver into his basement full of canned food and mumbling to himself, "i told you so...i told you all that james hardy is the anti-christ and the end of the world is upon us."

Somewhere, Dwight Drane is piling all of his stocked up silver into his basement full of canned food and mumbling to himself, "i told you so...i told you all that james hardy is the anti-christ and the end of the world is upon us."

At this point his canned food is worth more than his silver.

honestly, how frickin awesome would it be if they accidentally created a black hole?

i wonder how long it would take to eat up our planet? would it happen instantly? over a couple of hours?

we really have nothing to lose with this cause even if it does create a world ending black hole, there wont be anything left to care about, or anyone left to care, for that matter. in a perfect world, we'd have 24 hours to party our asses off while it slowly ate up europe and worked its way through the universe. but id imagine it would all be done pretty quickly.

id like to find out how quickly?

honestly, how frickin awesome would it be if they accidentally created a black hole?

i wonder how long it would take to eat up our planet? would it happen instantly? over a couple of hours?

we really have nothing to lose with this cause even if it does create a world ending black hole, there wont be anything left to care about, or anyone left to care, for that matter. in a perfect world, we'd have 24 hours to party our asses off while it slowly ate up europe and worked its way through the universe. but id imagine it would all be done pretty quickly.

When I first heard about this, I figured it would happen instantaneously.

It can and will probably create micro black holes, but they aren't going to destroy the world. Micro black holes emit so much energy (Hawking radiation) so they quickly wink out of existence/explode into a bunch of particles.

All we'd need to do is ask Hollywood if they've ever had a movie about an earth eating black hole, then follow the script on how to stop it.