What is everyones opinion on Rice/Largent flap

The Poojer

largent agreed to rice's request to unretire the seahawks #80 jersey. the nfl should step in and say "sorry mr rice, but it aint gonna happen" shame on jerry rice for putting steve largent in that position. if largent says no, he is a jerk. better yet, rice should just go away!

largent agreed to rice's request to unretire the seahawks #80 jersey.  the nfl should step in and say "sorry mr rice, but it aint gonna happen"  shame on jerry rice for putting steve largent in that position.  if largent says no, he is a jerk.  better yet, rice should just go away!

79142[/snapback]

It's hard to criticize Rice's achievements because they are staggering.

With that said, he really seems like a "me" guy everytime I see him speak.

Honestly, I think Largent was a nice guy for letting him have it, but Rice should have requested another number, Why ask a guy to unretire his number? Rice could have gone with any available number, the fans know who he is, Makes me think less of a guy who is a true legend. Now he seems like a little whiney kid.

It's hard to criticize Rice's achievements because they are staggering.

With that said, he really seems like a "me" guy everytime I see him speak.

79156[/snapback]

If you doubt he's a "me" guy...check out the hissy fit he threw when the Bills shut him down a few weeks ago.

rice is a POS for putting largent in that awkward position. It was passive agression fueled by the worst kind of vanity. rice knew largent wouldn't likely say no to the #1 WR of all time. But Rice should never have asked. And besides, he should have asked the organization, not largent himself. But Rice knows that. I wonder what Rice would say if someone asked him if he could take his 9ers number. Fug Rice. He should have retired 3 years ago but he's too fuggin stupid to see himself as he really is. I hope spikes lays a hit on him that will finally draw the curtains on his career.

Rice's affiliation with the number 80 is best identified with the 49'ers. IMO, when you leave the team you are historically identified with, your number, then, should be irrelevant. I know that's not how the players feel, but that's the way I see it.

Besides, the Seahawks uniforms are so butt ugly to begin with, why should he care? Whatever number he wears, he is going to look like a piece of sinus phlegm anyway.....

largent agreed to rice's request to unretire the seahawks #80 jersey.  the nfl should step in and say "sorry mr rice, but it aint gonna happen"  shame on jerry rice for putting steve largent in that position.  if largent says no, he is a jerk.  better yet, rice should just go away!

79142[/snapback]

Same thing happened here in Buckeye Country a few years ago when Andy Katzenmoyer had the nads to ask for Archie Griffin's #45. Being the class person he was Arch said ok. Katzenmoyer was a pud for asking in the first place.

when i saw this on TV i was gonna post something. Man, what a POS.

Like you said, if Largent says no, then some will say he looks like a jerk. So, he was put in an uncomfortable spot.

And if someone wanted to wear #12 in Buffalo, I would definitely have your back tater. Imagine if Losman had come to town and he had worn 12 in college and asked Jim to unretire it? He would get laughed out of town.

Guest Guest_Ramius_*
Same with # 32, I'll bet there would be a fillet job if that number ever trotted out onto the field again. Heads would roll if they ever handed that number out.

79177[/snapback]

insert OJ slasher joke here... :D

I like how everyone speaks for Steve Largent. Did anybody take into account that he might not give a crap if Jerry Rice wears #80?

79389[/snapback]

Jerry Rice called Largent and got his blessing before taking the number. I personally don't care one way or the other. Realistically Rice is probably the greatest receiver ever so why should he have to change his number. Like I said, doesn't make any difference to me.

79142[/snapback]

No win for Largent. He said yes because he had to. Jerry should have said thanks, but no thanks. That would have been the classy thing to do.

Of course I do believe Paul Hamm should keep his gold medal. Does that make me a hypocrite?

79142[/snapback]

Rice is really hurtin' himself in the eyes a good many football fans. He should have retired after last season's average performance.

I like how everyone speaks for Steve Largent. Did anybody take into account that he might not give a crap if Jerry Rice wears #80?

79389[/snapback]

You're missing the point.

The point is, Rice should have NEVER asked for it.

Period. End of discussion.

Players are a little wierd about numbers in sports. Why do you think every year some high draft choice comes in and spends some of his bonus check to get his number from some other lesser profile guy?

I agree, it would have been the mature thing for Jerry to just change his number if he wants to play for the Sea Hawks. On the other hand, the guy will go down as a first ballot Hall-o-Famer - best receiver in the history of the league, and I could undertsand that he'd like to play his last games with the same number with which he has played for 20 years. The number, especially after 20 years, becomes as synonomous as his name.

I think Largent was probably cool with it. Letting the greatest WR in history use the number for a few games isn't going to diminish what Largent did in his career. And he's probably a lot more mature than Jerry anyway.

If I were Steve, I would have charged him money for it!! LOL! :D