Sorry To Have Offended Some Of You

R. Rich

I did post those jokes in the spirit of the original post, which was a joke (hence the Silly Unfocused Wednseday, or SUW, tag). I really didn't want to offend anyone.

I joke a lot about race just because it's something I know a lot about. I know all about white people's attitudes towards blacks, black people's attitudes towards whites, and everyone's attitudes towards blacks and whites together. I've dealt with racism on all those fronts, so to me, it's not a big deal. In order to keep my sanity, I just don't let that stuff get to me. Otherwise, my wife and I couldn't go out in public and have a good time because I'd be worried about people looking and whispering about "the black guy with the white lady." I was introduced to racism when I was very young and in order to cope, I'd do things like laugh along with the "n***er jokes" (as my classmates would affectionately refer to them) and even go as far as learning them and beating them to the punch line. That would make them go nuts! So, I've had a very cavalier attitude towards racism. Other people who are with me sometimes wonder how I can listen to certain comments or how I can laugh at those kind of jokes, but that was my defense mechanism and it has worked for the most part. It takes A LOT to get me heated to the point where words will make me want to fight with someone.

I do realize that not everyone shares this perspective, so I do apologize for anyone being offended by the jokes. Most people realize that I was joking around but I see that not everyone is aware of that and also not everyone thinks it was funny. I hope those people know that I'm sincere in my apology and that it was all in good fun. Bad judgment, it seems. I'll lay off that stuff.

Okay, back to bashing the Bills, baseball talk, and all that other crap.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i thought they were hilarious, and i am irish AND itallian, and they were both included!

I did post those jokes in the spirit of the original post, which was a joke (hence the Silly Unfocused Wednseday, or SUW, tag).  I really didn't want to offend anyone.

I joke a lot about race just because it's something I know a lot about.  I know all about white people's attitudes towards blacks, black people's attitudes towards whites, and everyone's attitudes towards blacks and whites together.  I've dealt with racism on all those fronts, so to me, it's not a big deal.  In order to keep my sanity, I just don't let that stuff get to me.  Otherwise, my wife and I couldn't go out in public and have a good time because I'd be worried about people looking and whispering about "the black guy with the white lady."  I was introduced to racism when I was very young and in order to cope, I'd do things like laugh along with the "n***er jokes" (as my classmates would affectionately refer to them) and even go as far as learning them and beating them to the punch line.  That would make them go nuts!  So, I've had a very cavalier attitude towards racism.  Other people who are with me sometimes wonder how I can listen to certain comments or how I can laugh at those kind of jokes, but that was my defense mechanism and it has worked for the most part.  It takes A LOT to get me heated to the point where words will make me want to fight with someone.

I do realize that not everyone shares this perspective, so I do apologize for anyone being offended by the jokes.  Most people realize that I was joking around but I see that not everyone is aware of that and also not everyone thinks it was funny.  I hope those people know that I'm sincere in my apology and that it was all in good fun.  Bad judgment, it seems.  I'll lay off that stuff. 

77789[/snapback]

I did post those jokes in the spirit of the original post, which was a joke (hence the Silly Unfocused Wednseday, or SUW, tag).  I really didn't want to offend anyone.

I joke a lot about race just because it's something I know a lot about.  I know all about white people's attitudes towards blacks, black people's attitudes towards whites, and everyone's attitudes towards blacks and whites together.  I've dealt with racism on all those fronts, so to me, it's not a big deal.  In order to keep my sanity, I just don't let that stuff get to me.  Otherwise, my wife and I couldn't go out in public and have a good time because I'd be worried about people looking and whispering about "the black guy with the white lady."  I was introduced to racism when I was very young and in order to cope, I'd do things like laugh along with the "n***er jokes" (as my classmates would affectionately refer to them) and even go as far as learning them and beating them to the punch line.  That would make them go nuts!  So, I've had a very cavalier attitude towards racism.  Other people who are with me sometimes wonder how I can listen to certain comments or how I can laugh at those kind of jokes, but that was my defense mechanism and it has worked for the most part.  It takes A LOT to get me heated to the point where words will make me want to fight with someone.

I do realize that not everyone shares this perspective, so I do apologize for anyone being offended by the jokes.  Most people realize that I was joking around but I see that not everyone is aware of that and also not everyone thinks it was funny.  I hope those people know that I'm sincere in my apology and that it was all in good fun.  Bad judgment, it seems.  I'll lay off that stuff. 

77789[/snapback]

Well put.

And Again, Ill bring a beer over from my tailgate in 11 days.

Go Bills.

Thank you Rich. Since I'm white, I can't say that I was "offended". However, considering the feelings of some my black friends, I was deeply hurt by some of the "jokes"

It takes a real man to offer an apology - I'm proud to know you.

Thank you Rich. Since I'm white, I can't say that I was "offended".  However, considering the feelings of some my black friends, I was deeply hurt by some of the "jokes"

It takes a real man to offer an apology - I'm proud to know you.

77820[/snapback]

But isn't the JAFA in your sig typically a derogatory term (at least it is among my Kiwi friends during a rugby test ;) )

Why don't we just delete the thread - it's probably against the TOS anyway.

By the way I agree that it's impressive for R. Rich to step up and apologize. I don't think anyone who reads the board regularly could question his character.

I did post those jokes in the spirit of the original post, which was a joke (hence the Silly Unfocused Wednseday, or SUW, tag). I really didn't want to offend anyone.

77789[/snapback]

/quote]

I am offended that you did not have any jokes about (Asian) Indians. Aren't we funny enough ? Too nerdy for you ? huh ? huh ?

Just kidding - your apology, if it was ever required, is evidence of your fine personality.

I have a question about racism. Is it considered "racist" if you particularly LIKE one group of people? For example, I love asian women. Chinese, Japanese, Cantonese, whatever. I think they are beautiful. Like on the show Lost, the asian chick isnt the "hottest" by most standards, but on physical appearance alone, I would want her. And I want to do bad things to the girl that works at the place i get chinese take out from.

Now, is that considered racist?

Or another example. If i was picking a team for basketball, and there were two guys, both exact same height, exact same build, age, health status, etc, but one was black and one was white, would picking the black guy be racist? I mean, I am picking him because I think he would be GOOD. But, I still could see how this would be deemed at least prejudiced.

Just some thoughts.

No apology needed R.Rich, some people still are too damn sensitive when it comes to topics like racism...you are one of the few people here who I like to read every post from here and on Bills Zone.

78049[/snapback]

I'll second that, Cajun. It's a shame that a few ignorant people had to take the thread out of context and turn a tongue-in-cheek "SUW" into a PC crusade.

Ignore button folks. ;)

Or another example. If i was picking a team for basketball, and there were two guys, both exact same height, exact same build, age, health status, etc, but one was black and one was white, would picking the black guy be racist? I mean, I am picking him because I think he would be GOOD. But, I still could see how this would be deemed at least prejudiced.

Just some thoughts.

78073[/snapback]

Not racist. Prejudiced. Go Sox.

I have a question about racism. Is it considered "racist" if you particularly LIKE one group of people? For example, I love asian women. Chinese, Japanese, Cantonese, whatever. I think they are beautiful. Like on the show Lost, the asian chick isnt the "hottest" by most standards, but on physical appearance alone, I would want her. And I want to do bad things to the girl that works at the place i get chinese take out from.

Now, is that considered racist?

Just some thoughts.

78073[/snapback]

You had a thought? How novel. Will wonders never cease?

If you ever get the chance, you have to spend some time in Hong Kong. I guarantee you'd enjoy it. Main party district (I say main, there are several) is Lan Kwai Fong. You'd be the proverbial kid in a candy store. I would suggest the 1997 Club.

I would also strongly suggest taking the ferry to Macau. Bring your wallet. High roller place. Asia meets Colonial Portugal.

You had a thought? How novel. Will wonders never cease?

If you ever get the chance, you have to spend some time in Hong Kong. I guarantee you'd enjoy it. Main party district (I say main, there are several) is Lan Kwai Fong. You'd be the proverbial kid in a candy store. I would suggest the 1997 Club.

78175[/snapback]

The 1997 Club sounds intriguing. Do they have TVs there?

77789[/snapback]

Are you starting your racist stevestojan again that got you banned last year? Damn Rich ;)

Please don't start hating again either, it doesn't become you.

The 1997 Club sounds intriguing. Do they have TVs there?

78184[/snapback]

Yeah, that would sort of screw up his night, wouldn't it? There's always TIVO. Australian TV in the hotel room isn't bad either.

1997 Club is named for the transfer from Britain to China. One of the more popular spots in HK, as in it's own way is a "decadent" protest.

My favorite city, next to Savannah, GA.

Are you starting your racist stevestojan again that got you banned last year?    Damn Rich ;) 

Please don't start hating again either, it doesn't become you.

78187[/snapback]

I've never been banned here. That was a misunderstanding and I've learned not to listen to those NOT in the know.

You know I don't hate.

I've never been banned here.  That was a misunderstanding and I've learned not to listen to those NOT in the know.

You know I don't hate.

78210[/snapback]

Your black? Huh...I couldve swore you were white in September at the Tailgate.... ;)

I've never been banned here.  That was a misunderstanding and I've learned not to listen to those NOT in the know.

You know I don't hate.

78210[/snapback]

Rich I know that. It is called sarcasm. You're about as racist as a puppy is. From what I could tell when we met and from the board you could care less as long as someone doesn't kick you.

For the "regulars" on the board who knew that you were black, it probably wasn't offensive. But, if people did not know that you were black, your jokes were highly offensive.

If a white person had posted those jokes, we would all be thinking what a racist SOB that person was. I'm not sure why a person gets cut slack because his racist remarks are about his own race. Why has the "N" word become the most despicable thing to say, yet blacks can freely call each other by that name or use it liberally in their rap songs?

I have told my share of off-color, over-the-line jokes and I am far from being a prude, but I think that your post was way over the line. But, I am glad that you apologized.

Just my thoughts, so feel to flame away.

For the "regulars" on the board who knew that you were black, it probably wasn't offensive.  But, if people did not know that you were black, your jokes were highly offensive. 

If a white person had posted those jokes, we would all be thinking what a racist SOB that person was.  I'm not sure why a person gets cut slack because his racist remarks are about his own race.  Why has the "N" word become the most despicable thing to say, yet blacks can freely call each other by that name or use it liberally in their rap songs?

I have told my share of off-color, over-the-line jokes and I am far from being a prude, but I think that your post was way over the line.  But, I am glad that you apologized.

Just my thoughts, so feel to flame away.

78240[/snapback]

You have the right to feel that way, so why would I flame away at you?

The double standard you referred to is generic and applies to basically anyone. It's the same reason women are offended by rap songs calling women "bitches" or "ho's", yet a song called "I'm A B word" by a FEMALE pop singer becomes a smash hit. In terms of the 'N word', a lot of blacks kind of adopted the term to lessen its impact when whites use it againt us. Personally, I try to steer clear of it, even with my family and black friends.

You have the right to feel that way, so why would I flame away at you? 

The double standard you referred to is generic and applies to basically anyone.  It's the same reason women are offended by rap songs calling women "bitches" or "ho's", yet a song called "I'm A B word" by a FEMALE pop singer becomes a smash hit.  In terms of the 'N word', a lot of blacks kind of adopted the term to lessen its impact when whites use it againt us.  Personally, I try to steer clear of it, even with my family and black friends.

78249[/snapback]

You have friends?