Sorry To Have Offended Some Of You

R. Rich

If a white person had posted those jokes, we would all be thinking what a racist SOB that person was.  I'm not sure why a person gets cut slack because his racist remarks are about his own race.  Why has the "N" word become the most despicable thing to say, yet blacks can freely call each other by that name or use it liberally in their rap songs?

78240[/snapback]

The words themselves aren't "bad," the context in which the words are used make them derogatory.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did post those jokes in the spirit of the original post, which was a joke (hence the Silly Unfocused Wednseday, or SUW, tag).  I really didn't want to offend anyone.

I joke a lot about race just because it's something I know a lot about.  I know all about white people's attitudes towards blacks, black people's attitudes towards whites, and everyone's attitudes towards blacks and whites together.  I've dealt with racism on all those fronts, so to me, it's not a big deal.  In order to keep my sanity, I just don't let that stuff get to me.  Otherwise, my wife and I couldn't go out in public and have a good time because I'd be worried about people looking and whispering about "the black guy with the white lady."  I was introduced to racism when I was very young and in order to cope, I'd do things like laugh along with the "n***er jokes" (as my classmates would affectionately refer to them) and even go as far as learning them and beating them to the punch line.  That would make them go nuts!  So, I've had a very cavalier attitude towards racism.  Other people who are with me sometimes wonder how I can listen to certain comments or how I can laugh at those kind of jokes, but that was my defense mechanism and it has worked for the most part.  It takes A LOT to get me heated to the point where words will make me want to fight with someone.

I do realize that not everyone shares this perspective, so I do apologize for anyone being offended by the jokes.  Most people realize that I was joking around but I see that not everyone is aware of that and also not everyone thinks it was funny.  I hope those people know that I'm sincere in my apology and that it was all in good fun.  Bad judgment, it seems.  I'll lay off that stuff. 

Okay, back to bashing the Bills, baseball talk, and all that other crap.

77789[/snapback]

Rich I'm a white man married to a black women with kids. My wife cracks jokes about blacks and whites and usually everything goes OK but like you said some people take it more seriously than others. I'm a school bus driver for a all black school also so I have to say I hate when folks get up tight about it, but I hope someday we ALL have a good laugh, anyway sorry to get off track. I think you did the right thing by saying sorry because most people don't realize how stupid and small it all is but we must be careful with jokes and hope for change. Class move.

I did post those jokes in the spirit of the original post, which was a joke (hence the Silly Unfocused Wednseday, or SUW, tag).  I really didn't want to offend anyone.

I joke a lot about race just because it's something I know a lot about.  I know all about white people's attitudes towards blacks, black people's attitudes towards whites, and everyone's attitudes towards blacks and whites together.  I've dealt with racism on all those fronts, so to me, it's not a big deal.  In order to keep my sanity, I just don't let that stuff get to me.  Otherwise, my wife and I couldn't go out in public and have a good time because I'd be worried about people looking and whispering about "the black guy with the white lady."  I was introduced to racism when I was very young and in order to cope, I'd do things like laugh along with the "n***er jokes" (as my classmates would affectionately refer to them) and even go as far as learning them and beating them to the punch line.  That would make them go nuts!  So, I've had a very cavalier attitude towards racism.  Other people who are with me sometimes wonder how I can listen to certain comments or how I can laugh at those kind of jokes, but that was my defense mechanism and it has worked for the most part.  It takes A LOT to get me heated to the point where words will make me want to fight with someone.

I do realize that not everyone shares this perspective, so I do apologize for anyone being offended by the jokes.  Most people realize that I was joking around but I see that not everyone is aware of that and also not everyone thinks it was funny.  I hope those people know that I'm sincere in my apology and that it was all in good fun.  Bad judgment, it seems.  I'll lay off that stuff. 

77789[/snapback]

Honestly, until I saw the tailgate pics, I didn't know you were black.

So I took your jokes in stride. I was not offended.

I make drunken Irish jokes myself. ;) Even though I almost never drink to the point of excess. Alcohol problems tend to run in my family.

Mike

77789[/snapback]

Come on Rich you are making me cry ;) , the only thinned skinned ones are the mods of the PPP board.

I have a question about racism. Is it considered "racist" if you particularly LIKE one group of people? For example, I love asian women. Chinese, Japanese, Cantonese, whatever. I think they are beautiful. Like on the show Lost, the asian chick isnt the "hottest" by most standards, but on physical appearance alone, I would want her. And I want to do bad things to the girl that works at the place i get chinese take out from.

Now, is that considered racist?

Or another example. If i was picking a team for basketball, and there were two guys, both exact same height, exact same build, age, health status, etc, but one was black and one was white, would picking the black guy be racist? I mean, I am picking him because I think he would be GOOD. But, I still could see how this would be deemed at least prejudiced.

Just some thoughts.

78073[/snapback]

You like them but have you ever had one except on a DVD or centerfold????? :w00t:

You have the right to feel that way, so why would I flame away at you? 

The double standard you referred to is generic and applies to basically anyone.  It's the same reason women are offended by rap songs calling women "bitches" or "ho's", yet a song called "I'm A B word" by a FEMALE pop singer becomes a smash hit.  In terms of the 'N word', a lot of blacks kind of adopted the term to lessen its impact when whites use it againt us.  Personally, I try to steer clear of it, even with my family and black friends.

78249[/snapback]

wow, another astute post, comparing "B word & ............."

growing up in BUFF I never knew a black person, except for the 1 guard from the east side on the Bishop Timon BB team in 196x,, come down south and live together, and you will see every day the imbedded ignorant mindset that exists in the south, and the racism from both sides. Some of my best friends are black, more intelligent, have more integrity than the ignorant white rednecks with degrees from "Ol Miss" and other southern universities. It is a sad state of affairs and I am sorry I let my emotions get the best of me. I do not come to this board for that type of interaction. Just my thoughts...

Oh, boy. Joke time!

If I throw a stick, will you leave ?

:w00t:

79935[/snapback]

Yes, I'm leaving.. I'm done with you ignorant people.. I saw your picture from the tailgate , and if saw you in a bar a 5am I would definetly leave! You don't even qualify as a "Coyote woman"

Oh, boy. Joke time!

If I throw a stick, will you leave ?

:w00t:

79935[/snapback]

I'd be banned in the quickest time known to TBD history, if I ever said what I really thought. So would many of us, but that's the point. Bring some cowbell. I sure hope the Bills will.

You don't want to knock the South, with me. Memphis Jim. There's a lot more personal pride there than folks like you would ever comprehend. From any side.

Be enlightened.

The words themselves aren't "bad,"  the context in which the words are used make them derogatory.

78270[/snapback]

I am very much one that comes from this school, thanks to george carlin's skit about racism.

"there is nothing wrong with these words, they are only words. You have to be worried about the racist motherfugger that uses these... These words are only racist in context. You don't get pissed off when Richard Pryor says "ni***r", because he is (one). It is within context." -George carlin

If I am talking to one of my black residents on my floor (I'm a resident ASSistant), I am not going to say the n-word, but if he says it, I'm not going to get offended. kinda like any of my buds wouldn't get offended by me calling myself a cracker.

Yes, I'm leaving..  I'm done with you ignorant people.. I saw your picture from  the tailgate , and if  saw you in a bar a 5am I would definetly leave! You don't even qualify as a "Coyote woman"

79943[/snapback]

Geesh. I said it was joke time. No habla ingles ? :w00t:

Here's one just for you: I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.

Yes, I'm leaving..  I'm done with you ignorant people.. I saw your picture from  the tailgate , and if  saw you in a bar a 5am I would definetly leave! You don't even qualify as a "Coyote woman"

79943[/snapback]

Not that CL needs any defending, she can take care of herself with idiots like yourself. But I would suspect Jim, that if you showed your face around many of the fine people that post here and said what you said to their face, you might need a doctor.

Grow up and piss off.............. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Not that CL needs any defending, she can take care of herself with idiots like yourself. But I would suspect Jim, that if you showed your face around many of the fine people that post here and said what you said to their face, you might need a doctor.

79960[/snapback]

Well, this day was a total waste of makeup. :w00t:

I am offended that you stood me and my friends up last year with the Marvin Gaye cds.  :w00t:

79950[/snapback]

Bill, trust me, I will be there this year! I'll take the blame for last year, since I was too stupid to locate Lot 1, Pole 6 and nobody from the stadium staff could help me out either. I know where to go this time, so I'll be there.