Beginning of the end for the NBA?

eball

First, LeBron James says he'd play in Europe for the right $$. Now, Kobe Bryant apparently is saying he won't sign an extension with the Lakers until he tests the "global market."

Of course, we also have the ongoing gambling issues with NBA refs.

God, I hate the NBA.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing this will likely do is urge an expansion of the NBA into Europe. David Stern has already been exploring that option, this will likely just expedite the process.

I don't see how it would have a drastic impact on the NBA, at least as far as the American star players. If Lebron goes to play in Greece, it's likely going to be 1 year/$50M or 2 years/$100M. So he returns to the NBA at the ripe old age of 25?? The sole reason the big stars would consider it would be to expand their marketing power and global branding. I don't think any of them have dreams of hoisting the Euroleague trophy.

It could hurt the NBA in this aspect, though: Losing top-flight Euro talent (Nowitzki, Gasol, etc.) and making teams weary of drafting European players high, like the Knicks taking the Italian kid 6th overall this past year. There's no guarantee that he will take a pay cut to leave the Italian league.

The other impact could be seen in team's role players, their #6, #7, #8 players....If the Euro leagues want to pay these guys $9M a year, I think they'd have to take it. That could dilute the NBA talent pool.

I think it is more a function of the economy right now, and the strong Euro, that these teams are able to offer these salaries. They also are offering to pay LeBron's taxes if he comes, and pay for his living expenses, so a $50M contract means he'll truly make $50M. I don't know how you turn that down for one year. But I definitely don't see it as doom and gloom for the NBA. The NBA getting rid of their salary cap would be much worse for the league, IMO. Maybe they could institute a "One player exemption" where you could pay a franchise talent X-amount over the cap.

First, LeBron James says he'd play in Europe for the right $$. Now, Kobe Bryant apparently is saying he won't sign an extension with the Lakers until he tests the "global market."

God, I hate the NBA.

The NBA has been on a steady decline since the 2002 Summer Olympics. Bryant and James have fallen short in replacing guys like Jordan and Bird.

The NBA has been on a steady decline since the 2002 Summer Olympics. Bryant and James have fallen short in replacing guys like Jordan and Bird.

Well, if you put it that way. Since Michael, Magic, Barkley, and Bird have retired, no one has captured the country like them guys. Instead, Shaq carried the league in the post Jordan era, and only LeBron and Kobe have come close to the popularity that MJ and Magic had since. If you compound that with 70 dollar upper level tickets for crappy teams and the thug element, the game has really done a lot to push itself away from the mainstream. As a result, I along with a great amount of fans of the sport have been pushed away from the NBA and watch college hoops almost exclusively

Well, Euro basketball is becoming wildly popular for the same reasons college ball is: they actually play basketball. The NBA has for a long time degraded into a bunch of trash thugs who look to dunk and if its not open, they pork up a 3.

Prejudice much?

McLovin, he is pretty much spot on. The NBA (minus Pistons and Spurs) has not been about teamwork for a while now. Allen Iverson is the classic example of what the NBA has become, it always has to be about the "star" of the team hogging the ball and shooting way too many times even though there are 3 hands in his face and 2 open teammates.

The only thing this will likely do is urge an expansion of the NBA into Europe. David Stern has already been exploring that option, this will likely just expedite the process.

I don't see how it would have a drastic impact on the NBA, at least as far as the American star players. If Lebron goes to play in Greece, it's likely going to be 1 year/$50M or 2 years/$100M. So he returns to the NBA at the ripe old age of 25?? The sole reason the big stars would consider it would be to expand their marketing power and global branding. I don't think any of them have dreams of hoisting the Euroleague trophy.

It could hurt the NBA in this aspect, though: Losing top-flight Euro talent (Nowitzki, Gasol, etc.) and making teams weary of drafting European players high, like the Knicks taking the Italian kid 6th overall this past year. There's no guarantee that he will take a pay cut to leave the Italian league.

The other impact could be seen in team's role players, their #6, #7, #8 players....If the Euro leagues want to pay these guys $9M a year, I think they'd have to take it. That could dilute the NBA talent pool.

I think it is more a function of the economy right now, and the strong Euro, that these teams are able to offer these salaries. They also are offering to pay LeBron's taxes if he comes, and pay for his living expenses, so a $50M contract means he'll truly make $50M. I don't know how you turn that down for one year. But I definitely don't see it as doom and gloom for the NBA. The NBA getting rid of their salary cap would be much worse for the league, IMO. Maybe they could institute a "One player exemption" where you could pay a franchise talent X-amount over the cap.

How does the NBA expand into Europe when the NFL has been unsuccessful and the NHL has been looking at it for 20+ years, also unsuccessfully? Basketball is popular along the Mediteranian but not particularily away from it. I'm not certain how they can capture a market that doesn't appear to exist.

God, I hate the NBA.

I read somewhere that LeBron wants to be a billionaire. $50 mill/season would get him there a lot faster...

However, GM will suffer because Escalade sales will fall.

A friend of mine in the auto lending business told me about a guy who bought an Escalade last year for $65,000. The fellow went to trade it in on a more fuel efficent car this year and was told it was worth only $24,000. Maybe that has something to do with the increased interest in the Euro league.... :thumbsup:

The Russians are already poaching the NHL for talent in their new hockey league. It's inevitable the rest of the world catches up. At least football is all ours...for now.

PTR

That's what happens with 4$ a gallon oil.

McLovin, he is pretty much spot on. The NBA (minus Pistons and Spurs) has not been about teamwork for a while now. Allen Iverson is the classic example of what the NBA has become, it always has to be about the "star" of the team hogging the ball and shooting way too many times even though there are 3 hands in his face and 2 open teammates.

It has degraded into 5 little game of one-on-one. The arrogance of individual players is out of hand. If aguy scores on you, you take your wounded ego down the court and try to burn him, screw choosing the high percentage shot, game management, team play, and all that crap. The problem I see is that the younsters coming into the game want to emulate the "professionals", and it is only a matter of time before college starts to suck too.

I read somewhere that LeBron wants to be a billionaire. $50 mill/season would get him there a lot faster...

I would guess that if he took a big deal to play in Greece it would be less about the annual salary and more about expanding his global image. More global exposure = more markets for him to pimp sneakers, soft drinks and fast-food chains...