Beginning of the end for the NBA?

eball

I would guess that if he took a big deal to play in Greece it would be less about the annual salary and more about expanding his global image. More global exposure = more markets for him to pimp sneakers, soft drinks and fast-food chains...

All the important things in life. :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess that if he took a big deal to play in Greece it would be less about the annual salary and more about expanding his global image. More global exposure = more markets for him to pimp sneakers, soft drinks and fast-food chains...

So you show LeBron walking into McDonalds to buy a Coke while wearing his Nike Zoom's. 3 products in a 30 second add...Brilliant!!! :D

Great post!

I drove a couple of my sailors to Vegas while we were in San Diego. What a disaster. A riot almost broke out. Gangster and wantabee's everywhere. Fights with fans and players, players throwing gang signs up and down the strip making things worse. Most cities do not want the NBA all star game there because of the crap that goes on with it.

Besides, most of the players are little cry babies. God Bless the NHL!

No....sorry to spoil your illusion.

And Lebron is ALL about money. He has no love for the game, or the comraderie, or competition, or glory, or being the best, or anything. Like say, you might like your co-workers, and figuring out the best deal, and helping someone (which, of course, means making them the most money), or being good at what you do.

All of you who are saying the NBA sucks, and is not a team game, are the same ones who chime in at any mention of the NBA, to say how much the leauge sucks, and how you haven't wathced it since Bird and Magic left the game...well, it did go through a down cycle, but the leauge is much better today, than it was 10 years ago. The "team concept" has caught on again...but, its' cool. Feel free to comment on something that most of you brag about "hating", or haven't watched in 10 years! :D

How does the NBA expand into Europe when the NFL has been unsuccessful and the NHL has been looking at it for 20+ years, also unsuccessfully? Basketball is popular along the Mediteranian but not particularily away from it. I'm not certain how they can capture a market that doesn't appear to exist.

Are you joking? You have to be. The NHL (which I love) has been unsuccessful for the most part, in cathcing on in the United States, let alone Eurpope. And American football? They have tried, Euros, for the most part don't like it. Basketball has been popular in Europe for decades, and has developed some very good pros. Maybe it is the simplicity of the game (all you really need is a ball, and a basket), but the NBA has been pretty successful, for some time, in marketing itself as a global product.

Are you joking? You have to be. The NHL (which I love) has been unsuccessful for the most part, in cathcing on in the United States, let alone Eurpope. And American football? They have tried, Euros, for the most part don't like it. Basketball has been popular in Europe for decades, and has developed some very good pros. Maybe it is the simplicity of the game (all you really need is a ball, and a basket), but the NBA has been pretty successful, for some time, in marketing itself as a global product.

Not joking at all.

The NHL may be unsuccessful at expanding into Europe at present, but hockey has a huge presence in Europe. Don't confuse a lack of interest in hockey in the south in the US with a lack of interest in the sport in Europe. Where in Europe outside the countries that border the Mediterranian does basketball rank higher than either soccer or hockey? It also lags behind rugby in many countries.

In the countries where basketball is popular, there are already existing leagues that won't take kindly to an interloper league trying to set up shop. In the countries where it isn't as popular, what's the point of trying to set up shop? Those have been the primary reasons that the NHL hasn't been able to expand there (there are already well developed leagues in many countries) and why the NFL hasn't been able to successfully expand there (football is only a fringe sport at best in Europe).

Where is the market for an American sports league in Europe? I don't see how it drums up support where it doesn't exist and I don't see how it comes across as anything but American "imperialism" (for lack of a better word) in the places that support for the sport does exist.

All of you who are saying the NBA sucks, and is not a team game, are the same ones who chime in at any mention of the NBA, to say how much the leauge sucks, and how you haven't wathced it since Bird and Magic left the game...well, it did go through a down cycle, but the leauge is much better today, than it was 10 years ago. The "team concept" has caught on again...but, its' cool. Feel free to comment on something that most of you brag about "hating", or haven't watched in 10 years! :huh:

Yeah, I've not seen a game in 10 years. I've watched a ton but can't get through the end. The play against China was fuggin' pathetic. If the made slam dunks illegal today's NBA players would average probably 15% shooting.

And Lebron is ALL about money. He has no love for the game, or the comraderie, or competition, or glory, or being the best, or anything. Like say, you might like your co-workers, and figuring out the best deal, and helping someone (which, of course, means making them the most money), or being good at what you do.

And you're absolutely right. But with me the money comes last. I do all the things I'm supposed to and do them right I make great money. With the NBA (or all athletes) these days it's money first. Kobe wants to be the first billion dollar athlete playing in a league where he'll fade away to obscurity.

And you're absolutely right. But with me the money comes last. I do all the things I'm supposed to and do them right I make great money. With the NBA (or all athletes) these days it's money first. Kobe wants to be the first billion dollar athlete playing in a league where he'll fade away to obscurity.

LeBron, not Kobe. And don't forget, Bron is only 23 right now - he could go to Europe for two years, rack up $100M in salary, expand his global image and throw another $100M in his bank through endorsements, and come back to the NBA before he turns 27.

Yeah, I've not seen a game in 10 years. I've watched a ton but can't get through the end. The play against China was fuggin' pathetic. If the made slam dunks illegal today's NBA players would average probably 15% shooting.

Fuggin pathetic???? Yawn, another "not the way it used to be" post. You are a chef so you're probably a dweeb, and don't even know what you're watching. That's okay. I can't make it through two minutes of the food network. That doesn't mean I need to tell everyone that those people are pathetic and suck at what they do.

Continue to feel free to ignore the USA playing a full-court trap, constantly pressuring the ball all over the defensive end, hitting the boards hard, and showing a genuine interest in winning the game (unlike their 19-point opening loss to Puerto Rico in '04.) I think the best basketball players in the world can be forgiven for trying to electrify a world audience with a few alley-oops when they're up by 27 points in a preliminary game. I think if they're playing Argentina for the gold medal game, and it's tied in the 4th quarter, it's not going to be shake-n-bake, no-look lob passes for dunks.

People who understand basketball saw a motivated, unselfish, determined USA team. If you want to let a few dunks ruin it for you, be my guest.

I realize you want to see short shorts, underhand free throws, and layups. You should watch Ivy League basketball. I hear that Brown-Cornell game that ended 46-44 was a real thriller.

Yawn. Fuggin pathetic???? You are a chef so you're probably a dweeb, and don't even know what you're watching. That's okay. I can't make it through two minutes of the food network. That doesn't mean I need to tell everyone that those people are pathetic and suck at what they do.

Continue to feel free to ignore the USA playing a full-court trap, constantly pressuring the ball all over the defensive end, hitting the boards hard, and showing a genuine interest in winning the game (unlike their 19-point opening loss to Puerto Rico in '04.) I think the best basketball players in the world can be forgiven for trying to electrify a world audience with a few alley-oops when they're up by 27 points in a preliminary game. I think if they're playing Argentina for the gold medal game, and it's tied in the 4th quarter, it's not going to be shake-n-bake, no-look lob passes for dunks.

People who understand basketball saw a motivated, unselfish, determined USA team. If you want to let a few dunks ruin it for you, be my guest.

I realize you want to see short shorts, underhand free throws, and layups. You should watch Ivy League basketball. I hear that Brown-Cornell game that ended 46-44 was a real thriller.

I think the NBA is in the best shape it has been in, in some time, the nasty ref scandal not withstanding. Not just because the Celtics are champs again! Try to think of the dunk as the equivalent of a layup...the guys are massive now...maybe if they made the court bigger, and the raised the net, people wouldn't be so repulsed? I got a feeling that wouldn't work either...

I think the NBA is in the best shape it has been in, in some time, the nasty ref scandal not withstanding. Not just because the Celtics are champs again! Try to think of the dunk as the equivalent of a layup...the guys are massive now...maybe if they made the court bigger, and the raised the net, people wouldn't be so repulsed? I got a feeling that wouldn't work either...

Agreed about the NBA. The quality of play in the regular season and playoffs in the West was unbelievable (the east again was subpar other than the Celts, Pistons, and LeBron.) Chris Paul is the best basketball player I have seen in a long time, loved watching him at WF and love his NBA game.

On your other point, I saw an exhibition game played on 11-foot rims with former college players. Obviously, the shooting was difficult, but not as horrible as I thought it might be...But the game itself was gross. It was like watching the WNBA. Everyone jumping under the rim, arms up, going for rebounds like 11-year olds. It was ugly to watch. I know for a fact from watching that, that raising the rims is not an option. Perhaps widening the court? Not sure if that would work either, because the players will still guard the rim...But it seems they need to make SOMETHING bigger, seeing as PG's are now as big as the PF's used to be.

Those who cry about the current state of the game complain about the shooting percentage, and wax poetic about the old days like the old schoolers made 65% of their jumpers. They didn't. And they didn't have a 6'7" athletic freak guarding them, either. Defense just wasn't played the way it is now. It was a different game, a less-athletic game. It's just evolution. Look at the differences in hockey between 1983 and today.

Well, Euro basketball is becoming wildly popular for the same reasons college ball is: they actually play basketball. The NBA has for a long time degraded into a bunch of trash thugs who look to dunk and if its not open, they pork up a 3.

Exactly--which is why these USA players who have 10 times the talent of everyone else will just squeak by to get the gold when they should be winning by 40 like the Bird/magic 92 team. They play ghetto ball.