Starbucks

mead107

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't start at the grinding process, go out get yourself an air popper and start roasting your own....talk about appreciating coffee more....mmmmm mmmmm

Completely agree with this. I got my wife a roaster for Christmas last year. $4/lb for green beans, ten minutes to roast them and the freshest coffee ever. Sunday mornings were never so good....

i am still on the cheap with the air popper, one of these days i will graduate to a roaster

Completely agree with this. I got my wife a roaster for Christmas last year. $4/lb for green beans, ten minutes to roast them and the freshest coffee ever. Sunday mornings were never so good....

Which one did you get her? I might have to look into this...

Living without Starbucks coffee is easy. Once you learn how to adapt to life without a Perkins nearby, everything else is, by default, very easy. (Of course, for all I know, Perkins have become shiitholes, but they'll always be my favorite coffee place until proven otherwise.)

No. The days of paying $4 for a cup of coffee are drawing to an end.

PTR

I get the gist of what you are saying but technically, a cup of coffee (as traditionally defined) is not more than $2.25 for even the Venti. It is the frappes & lattes that cost more than $3.50 for even the smallest cup.

Which one did you get her? I might have to look into this...

iRoast 2

It works great. Wish I had a cup right now! :lol:

i am still on the cheap with the air popper, one of these days i will graduate to a roaster

Yeah, since it was a present I figured I'd go with the nice one. But most importantly I see you're also ordering from Sweet Maria's!

iRoast 2

It works great. Wish I had a cup right now! :lol:

Yeah, since it was a present I figured I'd go with the nice one. But most importantly I see you're also ordering from Sweet Maria's!

Since you're a roaster...how much is 'lost' during roasting? I know how long a pound of roasted beans will last me, but have no idea on the greenies.

What temp do you roast to? I buy French Roast beans, but that site seems to tell me I'm paying for charcoal.

Since you're a roaster...how much is 'lost' during roasting? I know how long a pound of roasted beans will last me, but have no idea on the greenies.

What temp do you roast to? I buy French Roast beans, but that site seems to tell me I'm paying for charcoal.

No loss at all; the greenies look like small oval peas and you see them gradually change color during the process: yellow, light brown, brown, black.

I usually roast them at 425 for about 7-8 minutes and get a nice dark brown (a little before they get to French roast stage). It's easy to watch the color and hit the 'cool down' mode as soon as it reaches the stage you want. You can also judge by the audiable 'crack' the beans makes during stages of the roast. It's fun to experiment, and plus green beans are about half the cost.

Confession time...I used to buy their French Roast beans at Sam's Club. They got a bit pricey so I decided to try the Sam's brand. $10-12 cheaper for 2.5 lbs vs. Starbucks, and they are not bad at all. For those who shop Costco (isn't convenient for me any more) they have a French Roast that was outstanding. Can't remember the name, but the packaging had a drawing of the Golden Gate on it.

That's what I buy. They roast it fresh in the store near my house. 2 1/2 pounds for $7.99. Then I grind it myself.

A few years ago I bought a Stabucks espresso machine and made my own mochas and macciatos. Eventually I got sick of it taking nearly five minutes of prep time just for a cup, so I shelved the thing in favor of regular joe.

That roaster seems like a great investment. I have a Gaggia espresso machine and make Cafe Americano's all day. Much better then coffee!

Cafe Americano is a fancy word for watered down espresso or...............coffee.

Once you learn how to adapt to life without a Perkins nearby, everything else is, by default, very easy. (Of course, for all I know, Perkins have become shiitholes, but they'll always be my favorite coffee place until proven otherwise.)

The two Perkins here changed to Denny's several years ago.

The two Perkins here changed to Denny's several years ago.

Denny's - ugh. They scooted out of CIN several years ago, stiffing their employees. They showed up to padlocked doors and no paychecks...

I haven't been back to Bflo since '01. There was a Denny's on NF Blvd I went to when most everything else was closed. What vile food they sold...

I'm no fan of Perkins' either. Another outfit that takes the franchise $$$ and hopes that the franchise buyer cares.