Starbucks

mead107

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not much to miss. 600 stores will close, yet you probably won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting at least 3 stores or kiosks.

BTW, "kiosks" is a funny word. Say it a few times. Kiosks, KEE-osks, kiosks, kiosks...

Wonder what the origin is. Aleutian?

Wouldn't miss it a bit. I Have been there maybe 5-6 times and order hot chocolate. Not paying $$$ for cheap coffee (their prices).

I worked at a Denny's when young (about 30 years ago). Coffee was 40 cents a cup then. The manager told us it cost them 3 cents a cup. They made money no matter how much you drank.

yeah i will miss it, like their coffee, dont go regularly, but for a nice consistent cup of something with more taste, a starbucks bold hits the spot for me, that said there is a coffee shop in richmond that gets the majority of my business, they roast and distribute it themselves, rather support the local guy, but for convenience, starbucks is on my short list, plus its only 8-8.5% worldwide, its not that bad

600 stores to shut down . Will you miss it if one of the stores is near you ? DD is better . :lol:

yeah i will miss it, like their coffee, dont go regularly, but for a nice consistent cup of something with more taste, a starbucks bold hits the spot for me, that said there is a coffee shop in richmond that gets the majority of my business, they roast and distribute it themselves, rather support the local guy, but for convenience, starbucks is on my short list, plus its only 8-8.5% worldwide, its not that bad

Was a local place that did that but it really ripped the belly up. Won't miss them if they went away, but I'm not sure I'll notice 600 stores. There is one every 4 miles. It's like Waffle House in the south, only more of them.

Now, if they went away 5 years ago? When boutique coffee was mid-stream? I'd have hated that... I've gone back to Folgers, though.

Likewise, I preferentially visit a local coffee shop that has way better coffee (not bitter like Starbucks') and personalized, friendly service. If she were to go out of business, I will shed a tear but not if one of the 4 Starbucks within a 6 mile radius were to shut down.

Good riddance. Unfortunately none of them will be shuttered in this area. I can think of at least three strip malls within 10 minutes of here that have at least TWO starbucks locations in them. The amount of money I see people piss away every day at work on a $3 cup of coffee is amazing (MS slightly subsidizes our food, that'd be more at retail). And people look at me like I'm crazy because I don't drink a drop of the stuff.

I would kill for a DD coffee roll right about now...

Their coffee sucks. I won't miss them at all. However here you could close down 6000 and there would only be two on every corner instead of three.

That's what I was thinking...600 store isn't very many at all.

I prefer my own homemade coffee myself. :lol:

So true. BTW. The whole beans I buy at Publix are........Starbucks :lol:

Confession time...I used to buy their French Roast beans at Sam's Club. They got a bit pricey so I decided to try the Sam's brand. $10-12 cheaper for 2.5 lbs vs. Starbucks, and they are not bad at all. For those who shop Costco (isn't convenient for me any more) they have a French Roast that was outstanding. Can't remember the name, but the packaging had a drawing of the Golden Gate on it.

don't start at the grinding process, go out get yourself an air popper and start roasting your own....talk about appreciating coffee more....mmmmm mmmmm

You gotta grind your own beans. Nothing like it from an aroma and flavor standpoint.

don't start at the grinding process, go out get yourself an air popper and start roasting your own....talk about appreciating coffee more....mmmmm mmmmm

link? How easy is it? How long is the process? Are there recipes?

yes, i'm lazy :lol:

They said most of the ones closing are "near other locations"....

I'm guessing they are just going on that web site devoted to showing pictures of starbucks across the street from other starbucks, and getting rid of them.

BTW people...Dunkin Donuts coffee sucks. And it doesn't have anything to do with quality of beans, or roasting or anything....they make it in those glass carafes that are exposed to air, and leave it on the burner to cook forever before you manage to get the last drop. I don't know how people can't taste the difference between oxidized coffee and fresh coffee. If its not in a vacuum pot, you had better get it right after brewing or its going to taste like....nasty DD coffee.

I'm currently enjoying a fresh (from the vacuum pot) Spot coffee, and I won't miss Starbucks at all.

Crap. There are two Starbucks within 1000 yards of my office. A stand alone and one inside a Target.

Wonder if one of them will close? Probably not. They both opened within the last year.