JP -Bills Biggest Bust the last 5 years

The latest edition of Pro Football Weekly is out & among the stories is "Major Misses A team--by- team breakdown of the NFL's biggest busts of the past five seasons" Here's what they said:

"J.P. Losman QB/Buffalo Bills First Round (22nd overall) 2004

Blessed with all the physical tools desired in a quarterback, Losman has failed to put it all together during his four years in Buffalo. A combination of inaccuracy, ambivalence in the pocket and overall mismanagement of the offense contributed to his inability to get the Bills back to the playoffs even once during his undistinguished tenure as a starter. When he went down with a sprained left knee in Week Three last season and rookie Trent Edwards showed considerable promise, it signaled the unofficial end to Losman's career in Buffalo."

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest edition of Pro Football Weekly is out & among the stories is "Major Misses A team--by- team breakdown of the NFL's biggest busts of the past five seasons" Here's what they said:

Blessed with all the physical tools desired in a quarterback, Losman has failed to put it all together during his four years in Buffalo. A combination of inaccuracy, ambivalence in the pocket and overall mismanagement of the offense contributed to his inability to get the Bills back to the playoffs even once during his undistinguished tenure as a starter. When he went down with a sprained left knee in Week Three last season and rookie Trent Edwards showed considerable promise, it signaled the unofficial end to Losman's career in Buffalo."

Why didn't I think of that. :)

Just kidding folks.

This is just more motivation for JP. I'd expect that he'll work very hard to improve his game and there's no reason to think that past shortcomings can't be corrected to the point where he's a solid player particularly if he goes to a team that knows how to develop a QB.

This is just more motivation for JP. I'd expect that he'll work very hard to improve his game and there's no reason to think that past shortcomings can't be corrected to the point where he's a solid player particularly if he goes to a team that knows how to develop a QB.

How many such teams are there in the NFL. In todays NFL, if a coach does not win in a couple of years he is gone. It is important for a QB to be quick to grasp the offense and manage the game efficiently. Even top teams struggle and do not wait for QBs to develop. Some may bring up a Romo....But Romo was not even considered starting QB for a long time that Dallas picked FA Bledsoe from the streets to give a starting position...

The successful QBs are the guys who grabbed the opportunity and rose to the occassion....There is more of those than the Drew Brees which is more rare.

How many such teams are there in the NFL. In todays NFL, if a coach does not win in a couple of years he is gone. It is important for a QB to be quick to grasp the offense and manage the game efficiently. Even top teams struggle and do not wait for QBs to develop. Some may bring up a Romo....But Romo was not even considered starting QB for a long time that Dallas picked FA Bledsoe from the streets to give a starting position...

The successful QBs are the guys who grabbed the opportunity and rose to the occassion....There is more of those than the Drew Brees which is more rare.

Good. Hope you're right and the Bills can run Jauron out of town after this year.

How many such teams are there in the NFL. In todays NFL, if a coach does not win in a couple of years he is gone. It is important for a QB to be quick to grasp the offense and manage the game efficiently. Even top teams struggle and do not wait for QBs to develop

this is one reason why I dont understand why a lot of colleges dont coach NFL style ball....with the short time to get players ready you'd think anything that the colleges can do to help would be great..this goes for all positions really..I never could understand colleges teaching WR's to get 1 foot in while NFL wants 2 and such rules

this is one reason why I dont understand why a lot of colleges dont coach NFL style ball....with the short time to get players ready you'd think anything that the colleges can do to help would be great..this goes for all positions really..I never could understand colleges teaching WR's to get 1 foot in while NFL wants 2 and such rules

I'd have to imagine the hardest rule for a college guy to adjust to in the NFL is realizing that, in the NFL, just because you're down doesn't mean you're down. Of all the mistakes I've seen rookies make, it seems like the one mistake they make all the time is thinking they're down because they hit the ground. I've seen a couple of instances where they not only think they're down, but they flip the ball down on the ground and unknowingly commit a fumble. Granted, it's been a while, but when they do it, it's pretty messed up and I always kind of feel for the guy.

Because in college they don't give you extra points for getting two feet in. Why would they care about the NFL? It's college. They are looking for their program to succeed, not how many NFL players they can produce. Losman sure could have benefited from a coach with your train of thought. :)

Is there a link yet? Its not that I don't believe it and agree, but I'd just like to read the article.

Then go out and buy this week's issue. :)

I subscribe & get in in an Adobe file to read, I couldn't find the article on the free part of their website, hence no link. The article has a bust for each team, pretty good stuff.

I honestly don't think Losman will ever be a full time starter in the NFL again, but I think this is a little hard on him. I think he is very similar to Rex Grossman. They both probably are career backups but they definitely had their moments in the league. When I think bust, I think more epic style like Mike Williams or Ryan Leaf.

because its not the college coaches responsibility to develop their players into NFL players, its their job to win games at the NCAA level

if its a difference in a TD why in the world would a college coach care if the WR gets two feet down when only one is required?

If JP is the biggest bust in 5 years time, our front office is doing a nice job

Agreed somewhat. But the bottomline is that Losman (or any 1st round Qb) really sets a franchise back because of the amount of resources and time used to develop him.

The reason is because it's college and not the NFL. Sounds like a stupid answer, but let's be realistic. How many college players truly have a shot at the NFL? How many from schools outside of the major conferences? The college game is NOT about pro preparation for more than 95% of the participants. Unless you're a big time coach at a major college program, you don't give a rat's ass about whether or not you're preparing a kid for the NFL game -- you're trying to win games and teach kids about football and life.

It will be a sad day for college football when the NCAA caves in and changes the rules to coincide with the NFL.

I feel the same way about basketball as well. I'm glad the NCAA 3-pt line is closer, and I'm glad they'll actually call offensive fouls in college.

The NCAA is not a pro development league. Period.

Good point, I could think of some othr players that I would say in the last 5 years had potential and impressed me less, but probably woudn't be considered because they weren't first rounders, or the Bills didn't give up a bunch of resources for them.

Youbouty - When drafted there was talk that he could have been a 1st rounder if he had stayed in college for one more year and that he could have been a steal. Instead, now going into his third year, and having plenty of chances to get some playing time with all the injuries at CB, he still couldn't make the starting linup, and the Bills drafted a couple of CB's who are going to be pushing for his job.

Everett - I know this probably isn't a popular choice or the most PC one because of what he went through last year, but he was supposed to become a starting TE for the Bills but never showed it when he wasn't hurt. If it wasn't for his injury, this probably would have been his "Make or Break" year

I just find it funny how Losman is considered a bust, or can be judged off of last season, when most would agree that the OC was a major problem for the Bills, and that the WR core was mediocre at best, and that improving it is a priority for Edwards, but was good enough for JP to be judged. That isn't saying he was ever going to be the guy we all wanted, but he came out of the draft as a project, and I thin that Buffalo was the wrong place for his career because they needed someone who could come in right away, not someone who would take more time to adjust and develop to the NFL

I just find it funny how Losman is considered a bust, or can be judged off of last season, when most would agree that the OC was a major problem for the Bills, and that the WR core was mediocre at best, and that improving it is a priority for Edwards, but was good enough for JP to be judged. That isn't saying he was ever going to be the guy we all wanted, but he came out of the draft as a project, and I thin that Buffalo was the wrong place for his career because they needed someone who could come in right away, not someone who would take more time to adjust and develop to the NFL

JP has been here 4 years, he is not being judged off of only last season. In his 2nd year he was handed the job & benched-the JP apologists (including myself at the time) blamed Mularkey. In year 3 he was mediocre most of the season, including the end and because he had a few good games against weak teams that inflated his stats he was hailed by the JP fans as "getting it". In year 4 he was horrible from day 1 of camp through his injury in game 3, had a good game against possibly the worst defense in the league & then reverted to form & got benched & the JP apologists blamed the OC. In 4 years he's "lead" the team to wins in about only 1/3 of his starts and the JP apologists always find a reason other than JP is a bust.

How was improving the receiving corps a "priority" for Edwards? The Bills didn't sign any name veteran free agent WR. The team drafted a WRs in the 2nd & 7th rounds-hardly what I call a priority. Now look at what they did at DT -traded for a high priced DT & signed another early in free agency-that's recognizing and acting on a position as a priority. In JP's 1st 2 years the Bills' top pick was a WR.

Your final apology for JP is that he came out of the draft as a project. Come on now, no team drafts a QB in the 1st round who is as big a project as JP has turned out to be. If the player is truly thought of as a project, he doesn't get picked in the first or even 2nd round. The Bills didn't view him as the project you do, otherwise they wouldn't have traded up to get him.

That's because the guy who drafted him, was run out of town on a rail and wasn't involved in the last 3 drafts. He had 2 bad drafts out of 2 within the timeframe the article covered. He followed up the disasterous 2004 draft, where only Lee Evans worked out with his equally disasterous 2005 draft which left us with only Roscoe Parrish and (hanging on by a thread) Duke Preston.

Then go out and buy this week's issue. <_<

I subscribe & get in in an Adobe file to read, I couldn't find the article on the free part of their website, hence no link. The article has a bust for each team, pretty good stuff.

No you didn't. You didn't do that

You want me to pay for a magazine to read an article that you briefed us on?? :thumbdown: