RIP Tim Russert

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing Lori's post up above re: the rumor that TBD was his browser home page (which seems very believable), who else has a suspicion that in addition to losing a great man, journalist and Bills fan, we may have also lost at least an occasional fellow TBD and/or !@#$ poster. If you think about it, for a celebrity, where else can you go for anonymity, but the internet....

i have been staying away from here tonightas I knew I would get a tear in my eye, and I have. Lord, it is such a bond we share being from Buffalo. Makes me very enviios some times of you all that are still there.

Quick story of my interaction with Tim Russert. All true, but cannot remember the exact dates, but can remember te game.

Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC. Future wife and I go out to eat to my BBQ joint (island influence) down the street, right off 18th and Kalorama( i lived at COnnecticut Ave and Kalorama at the time). Lonf story short, no one in the joint but my wife and me, and in walks Russert and his wife Maureen Orth. They sit three stools down from us at the bar and order a drink. I go nuts and tell my wife I am going to say hi to the fellow Buffalonian, she frowns and says let the poor man have a drink and meal in peace.

We compromise, as i wore in a Niagara University pullover(my buddy coached the swim team), and I say I am going to go to the john as we act like we are leaving but I am putting on that god awful purple thing as I walk past Russert and and toward the john. As soon as I get next to him, first words out of his mouth" hey did you go to Niagara, I grew up in Buffalo, are you from there?"

I tell him the quick story I from Niagara Falls, i do not want to bother him or his wife, and he refuses to let me go. Looks at the beer I am drinking, orders one for me, and asks what my fiance is drinking. Asks if I am watching the Bills the next day(playing the Lions, either 95 0r 96)) and I explain the dish to him. At that point, he was still going to the NBC studios for every Bills game not on the local channel.

Really long story short, I got pretty lit up with the man in an empty bar on 18th st in DC. We sat and drank beer for a good two hrs and talked Directv and Bills football. Our roots brought us together, and even our wives got along making fun of how geeky we were being from Buffalo. My only real claim to being close to celebrity, but the man was a good man. I pray for his dad, he has got to hurting beyonf belief.

My tears are running, and I am not sure why. Russert was a Buffalonian, i was a Buffalonian, he did nothing but act like we all do when we meet somebody from Buffalo.

God rest in pease Tim, you will be missed in this household

I never met Tim, but lost my own father to a heart attack 4 years ago. I was stunned that day and today when my uncle called me from buffalo to tell me Tim died,i have to say my eyes filled with water. I was stunned again. For some reason i sit here saddened for a man i never knew. I di dloose a friend today a man we all could respect wether from Buffalo or not. but i am so proud today maybe prouder then i have ever been to be a Bills fan. We were lucky to have him as an ambassador of Buffalo. He was as classy as the come. The good do die young. My prayers go out to his family and son during this time, i as many of you know how hard today is for them. I own a restuarants in Atlanta the is based all on foods from Buffalo. My father moved us from Buffalo when i was a kid, but Buffalo was never taken out of me like Tim. God Bless and rest in peace. Now you have the best seat in the house on sundays Tim.

Channel 12 (NBC) tonight in Richmond has a young kid working there now (Ryan Nobles), and he just revealed he's from Buffalo. Russert just gave the graduation speech at Randolph Macon College two weekends ago, and they showed the clip. At the end when he usually closes with his "Go Bills", he said "Go Yellow Jackets" instead, and the crowd cheered loudly and laughed.

Nobles asked to cover the RM College speech that day so he could meet his idol from his hometown Buffalo, Tim Russert. He said on the air tonight, they joked awhile and mostly talked Bills football for about 45 minutes. Nobles seemed like a little kid who met Santa Claus.

Yet another great story about Russert from Richmond VA, nonetheless.

Damn, this really sucks.

"Go Bills"

i have been staying away from here tonightas I knew I would get a tear in my eye, and I have. Lord, it is such a bond we share being from Buffalo. Makes me very enviios some times of you all that are still there.

Quick story of my interaction with Tim Russert. All true, but cannot remember the exact dates, but can remember te game.

Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC. Future wife and I go out to eat to my BBQ joint (island influence) down the street, right off 18th and Kalorama( i lived at COnnecticut Ave and Kalorama at the time). Lonf story short, no one in the joint but my wife and me, and in walks Russert and his wife Maureen Orth. They sit three stools down from us at the bar and order a drink. I go nuts and tell my wife I am going to say hi to the fellow Buffalonian, she frowns and says let the poor man have a drink and meal in peace.

We compromise, as i wore in a Niagara University pullover(my buddy coached the swim team), and I say I am going to go to the john as we act like we are leaving but I am putting on that god awful purple thing as I walk past Russert and and toward the john. As soon as I get next to him, first words out of his mouth" hey did you go to Niagara, I grew up in Buffalo, are you from there?"

I tell him the quick story I from Niagara Falls, i do not want to bother him or his wife, and he refuses to let me go. Looks at the beer I am drinking, orders one for me, and asks what my fiance is drinking. Asks if I am watching the Bills the next day(playing the Lions, either 95 0r 96)) and I explain the dish to him. At that point, he was still going to the NBC studios for every Bills game not on the local channel.

Really long story short, I got pretty lit up with the man in an empty bar on 18th st in DC. We sat and drank beer for a good two hrs and talked Directv and Bills football. Our roots brought us together, and even our wives got along making fun of how geeky we were being from Buffalo. My only real claim to being close to celebrity, but the man was a good man. I pray for his dad, he has got to hurting beyonf belief.

My tears are running, and I am not sure why. Russert was a Buffalonian, i was a Buffalonian, he did nothing but act like we all do when we meet somebody from Buffalo.

Great story, plez. Never met Russert, but your story is exactly how I imagined him to be.

Blitzer was on NBC's tribute to Russert - he told a story about he and Russert meeting the pope. Russert looked at Blitzer, and said something to the effect of "Can you believe it? Here we are, two kids from Buffalo, and we're going to meet the Pope." Russert NEVER forgot where he came from, and he wore his Buffalo upbringing like a badge of honor.

i was a Buffalonian, he did nothing but act like we all do when we meet somebody from Buffalo.

But isnt that how we all act? Amazing that TR was just like all of us, and I think thats why we all will miss him

I never met or knew Tim Russert, but after seeing all the tributes it confirms everything I always wanted to believe about him as a person.

Being from Buffalo and being a Bills fan you automatically wanted to think that Russert was a good guy (because, let's face it - folks from Buffalo and Bills fans are good people!). Unfortunately there are plenty of famous people who have a public persona that belies their real personality. I am so glad to see that the Tim Russert you saw on TV appears to be the guy he was in real life - one hell of a human being.

Yeah he was a great journalist, Buffalonian and Bills fan, but I am struck at what a great man he was in total. Loved his family and deeply respected what his father had done (how many people ever realize that and get to tell their fathers how much they appreciate what they have done)? Genuinely cared about people, Was the godfather to the children of several colleagues. I was struck that Bryant Gumbell said he had just received a bote from Tim recently because his mother had passed away - the two hadn't worked together in years yet TR still made it a point to send a personal note - that's good people. He also received the Dream Father award from Parents magazine - may not be as important as the Pulitzer but I can guarantee he cherished it.

So depressing to see us lose one of the good guys - but if he's having his way in heaven now he's probaly grilling God as to why the Bills haven't won the big one...

Great story! Thanks for taking the time to share.

In my mind he has always represented the best of what it means to be from Buffalo, your story only confirms it.

I don't ever remember someone dying where the news coverage has been so focused in on the values that person gained from their hometown.

His love for his hometown and his hometown football team ,The Buffalo Bills , went to the very core of his being.

RIP

It was November 23, 1994. I still have my ticket stub to the Lions game that year. Great story by the way. Just how I envisioned him being in real life.

Great story, man. Thanks for sharing. Sad day, indeed.

great story! I wish I could of had beers with Tim. I shed many tears today- God bless Tim Russert