Interesting take by Darryl Talley regarding

I'll take the bait, but please, turn the caps off, you're SHOUTING.

I STILL MAINTAIN TO THIS DAY "THE KICK" WASNT NORWOOD S FAULT ... "WRONG WAY RIECH " NEVER TURNED THE

LACES FORWARD BEFORE THE KICK!!

I HAVE GOTTEN SEVERAL COACHES TO ADMIT TO THAT IN THE YEARS SINCE THEN ....

ITS JUST THAT AFTER THE COMEBACK GAME MANY FORGET HOW INEPT HE WAS MOST OF THE TIME ,,,TRY AND THINK OF 5 GAMES THAT HE DISTINQUISHED HIMSELF??

1 COMEBACK AGAINST HOUSTON

2 PITTSBURGH

3? 1990 division clincher vs. Miami

4? 1989 comback win vs. LA Rams on MNF

5? 1989 wins vs. Colts and NYJ

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I STILL MAINTAIN TO THIS DAY "THE KICK" WASNT NORWOOD S FAULT ... "WRONG WAY RIECH " NEVER TURNED THE

LACES FORWARD BEFORE THE KICK!!

I HAVE GOTTEN SEVERAL COACHES TO ADMIT TO THAT IN THE YEARS SINCE THEN ....

ITS JUST THAT AFTER THE COMEBACK GAME MANY FORGET HOW INEPT HE WAS MOST OF THE TIME ,,,TRY AND THINK OF 5 GAMES THAT HE DISTINQUISHED HIMSELF??

1 COMEBACK AGAINST HOUSTON

2 PITTSBURGH

3?

4?

5?

Norwood wasn't even in the league when the 'Comeback' vs. Houston happened. Steve Christie made that kick.

Other notable Norwood contributions were:

Last second victory @ NE in '88

OT kick vs. Jets (for East title) in '88

Winning margin vs. Broncos (AFC title) in '91 (a 47 yarder!)

Norwood was only 72.3% for his career. And a majority of that was due to one really good year that he had in '88 when he made the Pro Bowl. Aside from that, 4 of his 7 seasons in the NFL, he was under 70% accuracy. He definitely at no point was in the running for most accurate in history.

Going into the '90 season (the yr of "wide right"), he had made 95 of 126 kicks (75.4%). Up to the same point, Gary Anderson had made 186 of 242 (76.9%). I don't have the time to accumulate career rcds for kickers up to 1990, nor have any inclination to search to see if someone has that info, but I contend that 75% WAS a very good %age for that time. (Much like 60% was prior to maybe 1975 or that today, if you make less than 80%, your job is in jeopardy.)

Interesting, but I am not sure I agree. Here are some things to think about. It gives season rankings for the last three Bills kickers, as well as their all-time rank in the major categories.

Scott Norwood

7 Years in NFL

Points Scored: First place once, Top five twice. All-Time Rank: 92

Extra Points Made: First place twice, third place once. All-Time Rank: 68

Extra Point Attempts: First place once, Third place once. All-Time Rank: 69

Field Goals Made: First place once. All-Time Rank: 78

Field Goal Attempts: Second place once. All-Time Rank: 88

Career Field Goal %: 72.283% All-Time Rank: 68

Steve Christie

15 Years in NFL

Points Scored: Second place once, Top five twice. All-Time Rank: 15

Extra Points Made: Top five once. All-Time Rank: 23

Extra Point Attempts: Top five once. All-Time Rank: 24

Field Goals Made: Top five twice. All-Time Rank: 13

Field Goal Attempts: First place once, Second place once. All-Tim Rank: 19

Career Field Goal %: 77.958% All-Time Rank: 37

Rian Lindell

8 Years in NFL

Points Scored: Top ten once. All-Time Rank: 71

Extra Points Made: Top ten twice. All-Time Rank: 77

Extra Point Attempts: Top ten twice. All-Time Rank: 82

Field Goals Made: Top five once, Top ten twice. All-Time Rank: 59

Field Goal Attempts: Top five once, Top ten twice. All-Time Rank: 69

Career Field Goal %: 80.645% All-Time Rank: 21

If you give a kicker a WoF spot, it should go to Christie.

[broken record mode ON]

If either Darryl Talley or Mark Kelso make one routine tackle on Mark Ingram, there's no need for Norwood to try the longest FG on grass in his career.

[broken record mode /OFF]

:rolleyes:

And nice work on the stats, KRC.

Should Norwood be considered? Sure -- for a while in the late '80s, he was Mr. Clutch. But "forgotten"? Who should have waited an extra year so Norwood's name could go up? The Super Bowl-era honorees are Kelly, Hull, Talley, Ritcher, Thomas, Reed, Tasker, and Bruce. Does anyone honestly want to argue that Norwood belongs before one or more of those names ... or before Bennett or Wolford, for that matter?

Seriously?

And nice work on the stats, KRC.

Thanks.

Should Norwood be considered? Sure -- for a while in the late '80s, he was Mr. Clutch. But "forgotten"? Who should have waited an extra year so Norwood's name could go up? The Super Bowl-era honorees are Kelly, Hull, Talley, Ritcher, Thomas, Reed, Tasker, and Bruce. Does anyone honestly want to argue that Norwood belongs before one or more of those names ... or before Bennett or Wolford, for that matter?

Seriously?

...or Van Miller?

Whats the number one thing you think of ,when you think of Scott Norwood?......Ok my point exactly. He is Buffalos' Bill Buckner. Buckner had a nice career, but will always be remembered for that one play. It sucks i know,but it is what it is. From what i understand he has a great life and sells realestate in the Virginia area i believe. Let him go on with his life.But there are a lot of other guys who are much more deserving of getting on that wall. I appreciate Talley,he is the ultimate class guy. And was probably the man that was able to keep that locker room together for all those years. I value his opinion but i do not agree with it in this case. Plus a kicker on the wall? Elam maybe in Denver. But not Norwood here.

Norwood wasn't even in the league when the 'Comeback' vs. Houston happened. Steve Christie made that kick.

Other notable Norwood contributions were:

Last second victory @ NE in '88

OT kick vs. Jets (for East title) in '88

Winning margin vs. Broncos (AFC title) in '91 (a 47 yarder!)

haha. At least read the post before responding. Yes he's off topic, but still....

I agree, and i don't think it's something that is done to omit him on purpose but i feel he should be up there, as if anyone remembers like Talley said, Norwood was a hell of a kicker and deserves to be on the wall with the rest of the guys

I couldn't agree more. Without Norwood the Bills wouldn't have gone that far. He made some clutch kicks at times. Nobody on the Bills team at that time blames him.

Please. Norwood was serviceable at best, he was far from "a hell of a kicker." He pushed that 47-yarder to the right because he had to slam it...He wasn't positive his weak-ass leg could get it there. I'm not saying a 47-yarder to win the Super Bowl is easy, but if you're a "hell of a kicker," 47 shouldn't be the top of your range either.

Just like that one kick shouldn't cloud the perception of his career, we shouldn't overrate his career because we feel he's been unjustly criticized for that one kick.

If Norwood goes on the wall, then so should Leonard Smith, Don Beebe, Jeff Wright, and countless other players who did their jobs. Save it for the greats only. Scotty doesn't qualify, IMO.

I agree with Lori that there are other more deserving now but he's someone to definitely consider. Kudos to Talley for sticking up for a teammate!

I agree with Lori that there are other more deserving now but he's someone to definitely consider. Kudos to Talley for sticking up for a teammate!

I think it says a lot about Talley that he would defend Norwood. I don't think Norwood merits a spot on the WoF but good for Talley.

Norwood was only 72.3% for his career. And a majority of that was due to one really good year that he had in '88 when he made the Pro Bowl. Aside from that, 4 of his 7 seasons in the NFL, he was under 70% accuracy. He definitely at no point was in the running for most accurate in history.

I like Norwood okay, but the fact is, he was just okay. I have to agree that if we're putting a kicker up, Christie would be the better option of the two. Christie played much much longer and was much more accurate.

Nowadays under 80% sucks for a FG kicker...

Norwood would have been cut in training camp if he played these days...

My sense is that statistically both Christie and Lindell deserve to be honored before Norwood. However, the Wall of Fame like the HOF is not about statistics, its about FAME. In this case, the fame is about fame and honor as a Bill and what a player did that embodies Billdom (whatever that is).

The single best moment for me as a Bills fan was listening on the radio at work as an estimated 20,000 Bills fans gathered in Niagara Sq. the day after the wide right miss to welcome our boys home. It was a great moment to be a Bills fan to hear him break down in tears apologizing and to join with the 1000s of folks giving forgiveness to Norwood for the miss.

I can easily see putting him up on the Wall for us for that moment.

Stats smats. Stats are merely about the game but this moment was about being a human being and about life.

I hate that he missed the kick but I love how we generally responded to it. The real interesting question for me is whether we would have won 4 AFC championships in a row if he had made that kick. I do not know for sure, but when folks have asked whether I would have chosen 1 win for my team or the 4 conference championships and 4 SM losses it is no contest for me. I would take the 4/4.

As one born in Chicago who rooted full-tilt boogie for the Bears and experienced my team winning SB 20, I would definitely say the feelings of joy did not match the four years of glory I experienced with my adopted team the Bills (whom I fully embraced after being introduced to them in the late-80s by my future life partner whom I married in 89).

Maybe the pain of losing was different for me because I was not a lifelong Buffaloanian, but the comparison of the joy of shared fandom was not nearly comparable.

A lot of this is integrally related to the wide right miss and the shared forgiveness.

The single best moment for me as a Bills fan was listening on the radio at work as an estimated 20,000 Bills fans gathered in Niagara Sq. the day after the wide right miss to welcome our boys home. It was a great moment to be a Bills fan to hear him break down in tears apologizing and to join with the 1000s of folks giving forgiveness to Norwood for the miss.

I can easily see putting him up on the Wall for us for that moment.

I hate that he missed the kick but I love how we generally responded to it.

I'm not following....What does any of this has to do with Norwood going on the Wall? Because he cried and he was sorry he missed?

The 12th Man is already up there.