Interesting take by Darryl Talley regarding

"One thing I wish people would take a look at is out of all the things that we accomplished we wouldn't have done a lot of them without Scott Norwood," said Talley. "Everybody seems to have forgotten Scott. If you look back in the early days we won a lot of games with special teams and him kicking field goals. So I think there's somewhere up there (the Wall) for Scott to be, but nobody wants to acknowledge him because he missed a kick. But as I recall, I missed some tackles in that game, Bruce missed some. Thurman dropped some balls and Jim threw interceptions, but nobody realizes that here is a guy that made major contributions to what this organization was about. It just irks me that people have forgotten him."

Interesting hearing a players perspective...

Chris Brown blog

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting hearing a players perspective...

Chris Brown blog

I agree, and i don't think it's something that is done to omit him on purpose but i feel he should be up there, as if anyone remembers like Talley said, Norwood was a hell of a kicker and deserves to be on the wall with the rest of the guys

I agree, and i don't think it's something that is done to omit him on purpose but i feel he should be up there, as if anyone remembers like Talley said, Norwood was a hell of a kicker and deserves to be on the wall with the rest of the guys

Please. Norwood was serviceable at best, he was far from "a hell of a kicker." He pushed that 47-yarder to the right because he had to slam it...He wasn't positive his weak-ass leg could get it there. I'm not saying a 47-yarder to win the Super Bowl is easy, but if you're a "hell of a kicker," 47 shouldn't be the top of your range either.

Just like that one kick shouldn't cloud the perception of his career, we shouldn't overrate his career because we feel he's been unjustly criticized for that one kick.

If Norwood goes on the wall, then so should Leonard Smith, Don Beebe, Jeff Wright, and countless other players who did their jobs. Save it for the greats only. Scotty doesn't qualify, IMO.

"One thing I wish people would take a look at is out of all the things that we accomplished we wouldn't have done a lot of them without Scott Norwood," said Talley. "Everybody seems to have forgotten Scott. If you look back in the early days we won a lot of games with special teams and him kicking field goals. So I think there's somewhere up there (the Wall) for Scott to be, but nobody wants to acknowledge him because he missed a kick. But as I recall, I missed some tackles in that game, Bruce missed some. Thurman dropped some balls and Jim threw interceptions, but nobody realizes that here is a guy that made major contributions to what this organization was about. It just irks me that people have forgotten him."

If he's refering to 'That Game' being SBXXV, Kelly didn't throw any ints. There were no turnovers at all in the game. Scotty was part of that great team early on but 'serviceable' is the best way to explain his contributuion. He was pathetic on real turf.

I think "forgotten" is the worng word. No one has forgotten about scott norwood. People just only remember him for that one kick. I have always argued that there were several plays the bills could have made in that game to win it that are easier than a 47 yd field goal on grass. However, that's how any last second play is (game winning field goal, 2 outs bottom of the ninth, shot at the buzzer), if you come through you're a hero, if you miss your a goat.

Please. Norwood was serviceable at best, he was far from "a hell of a kicker."

??? Dude. For most of his career (once he qualified), he was among the top 3 most accurate kickers in history. (3 kickers, I think him, Anderson & Anderssen would swap positions every time one of them missed a kick).

He did not have a strong leg, but I'd rather have an automatic 3 inside the 40 than the ability to kick it long but not be able to rely on it going in.

For the era that he played in (kicking has evolved/improved vastly over time), he was a great kicker.

I STILL MAINTAIN TO THIS DAY "THE KICK" WASNT NORWOOD S FAULT ... "WRONG WAY RIECH " NEVER TURNED THE

LACES FORWARD BEFORE THE KICK!!

I HAVE GOTTEN SEVERAL COACHES TO ADMIT TO THAT IN THE YEARS SINCE THEN ....

ITS JUST THAT AFTER THE COMEBACK GAME MANY FORGET HOW INEPT HE WAS MOST OF THE TIME ,,,TRY AND THINK OF 5 GAMES THAT HE DISTINQUISHED HIMSELF??

1 COMEBACK AGAINST HOUSTON

2 PITTSBURGH

3?

4?

5?

I STILL MAINTAIN TO THIS DAY "THE KICK" WASNT NORWOOD S FAULT ... "WRONG WAY RIECH " NEVER TURNED THE

ITS JUST THAT AFTER THE COMEBACK GAME MANY FORGET HOW INEPT HE WAS MOST OF THE TIME ,,,TRY AND THINK OF 5 GAMES THAT HE DISTINQUISHED HIMSELF??

2 PITTSBURGH

3?

4?

5?

Not to nitpick, but you want us to find 5 games where he distinguished himself as a qb in order to validate his filed goal holding skills?

Not to nitpick, but you want us to find 5 games where he distinguished himself as a qb in order to validate his filed goal holding skills?

NOT AT ALL! JUST TIRED OF THIS CANNONIZATION THAT HE SOMEHOW HAS GOTTEN, REVISIONIST HISTORY ISNT MY STRONG SUIT,

IS THAT FIELD GOAL SKILLS OR "FAILED" GOAL SKILLS,,,,,,,,,? BUT STILL TRY TO NAME 5?

NOT AT ALL! JUST TIRED OF THIS CANNONIZATION THAT HE SOMEHOW HAS GOTTEN, REVISIONIST HISTORY ISNT MY STRONG SUIT,

IS THAT FIELD GOAL SKILLS OR "FAILED" GOAL SKILLS,,,,,,,,,? BUT STILL TRY TO NAME 5?

Does his comeback at Maryland count or are we only talking Bills moments?

[broken record mode ON]

If either Darryl Talley or Mark Kelso make one routine tackle on Mark Ingram, there's no need for Norwood to try the longest FG on grass in his career.

[broken record mode /OFF]

2 PITTSBURGH

3?

4?

5?

CAPS LOCK MAKES YOU LOOK STUPID :rolleyes:

2 PITTSBURGH

3?

4?

5?

Remember that Raider game out in the coliseum the year after their 1st super bowl when he missed like 3 chip shot fgs & a few extra points. I believe he finally made a fg in overtime to win & Thomas was quoted as saying "if he missed that kick in overtime we were going to throw him out of the plane on the ride home over North Dakota".

Norwood sucked.

??? Dude. For most of his career (once he qualified), he was among the top 3 most accurate kickers in history. (3 kickers, I think him, Anderson & Anderssen would swap positions every time one of them missed a kick).

He did not have a strong leg, but I'd rather have an automatic 3 inside the 40 than the ability to kick it long but not be able to rely on it going in.

For the era that he played in (kicking has evolved/improved vastly over time), he was a great kicker.

Norwood was only 72.3% for his career. And a majority of that was due to one really good year that he had in '88 when he made the Pro Bowl. Aside from that, 4 of his 7 seasons in the NFL, he was under 70% accuracy. He definitely at no point was in the running for most accurate in history.

I like Norwood okay, but the fact is, he was just okay. I have to agree that if we're putting a kicker up, Christie would be the better option of the two. Christie played much much longer and was much more accurate.

Norwood made a pro bowl in a year when he converted something like 34out of 36 attempts (I think it was the year before the Cleveland playoff loss). Sounds great but our offense couldn't score when we won those close games because of special teams. If I had to guess he probaby only had 5-10 attempts longer than 45 yards that year. I would actually say it is a shame he made those kicks early on. If he didn't we would not have had a false sense that we had a good kicker and would have been looking for one that could hit a kick longer than 45 yards. I've always felt 45-50 yards is the minimum you want a kicker to be able to kick a FG.

Also, Reich was a good backup. As far as other memorable game from him the Rams monday night game was great.