Can't take another season of watching Kelsay get

I'm with you on this one Pete.

Nobody's claiming he's that great, and maybe Marv made him an offer he'd be a fool to refuse.

But he's got the roster spot and that's it.

I think a lot of weak-kneed posters need to get a grip and realize they're just playing house like little girls when they fantasize about calling the shots at OBD.

You don't like the product on the field - then sack up like a man and don't support it.

So does that mean that posters shoud not criticize members of the team? Does criticism equate to not "liking the product on the field"?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't like the product on the field - then sack up like a man and don't support it.

... and if you have a hard-on for missing the playoffs year after year, sack up like a man and admit it.

Because it's front office decisions like these that go a long way in explaining why the Bills have been so bad for so long. Some folks have the stones to call it as they see it. :blink:

I don't think Kelsay has lived up to his potential. I think that is a statement that we can all agree with. I think that adding Ellis to the rotation will be a big help. That being said, I don't think resigning Kelsay was a waste of money. We need a proven veteran at the LE spot, opposite Schobel. Many of the other options out there the past two seasons have either been wash outs or super old veterans who can't hack it anymore. With the addition of Stroud and Johnson, I think Kelsay and Schobel will have more opportunities, and take advantage of those opportunities.

Perhaps giving Kelsay as much as they did was a bad call, but at the same time, better to hold onto the known quantity you have, a decent player who contributes, than an unknown quantity in another team's veteran that you don't have a clue about. I understand the call to draft a first round DE or DT this year, but I think the Bills got a steal with Ellis and I think they appropriately addressed their other, more significant needs first.

Mrs. Kelsay, is that you? :blink:

Look, he's a decent DE, but he's overpaid, IMO. He's not at all strong at the point of attack (which was the original poster's point, I believe)

If you bothered to read the thread, you'll notice that I didn't start it - I never suggested that he be cut.

Maybe in the future, potential thread topics should be put to vote before they are posted. Wouldn't want to offense anyone's delicate sensibilities.....

Gee an incrwasing salery cap every year? Inflation every year.... in about 3 years his contract isnt gonna look all that bad

Why do people complain about Kelsay's salary in one thread and then complain that Ralph is cheap and we have too much room under the cap in another thread? Which is it? Do we spend too much on players? Or not enough?

Kelsay's salary is irrelevant. If you don't like his play, fine. But to even mention a player's salary when that salary is in not preventing the Bills from signing other players or is in no way negatively affecting the team, is just nonsensical. IMO some posters are just looking for excuses to complain.

So does that mean that posters shoud not criticize members of the team? Does criticism equate to not "liking the product on the field"?

No. Not at all. Just take the "Ican't take another season of..." outside and keep it there.

There's lots of criticism of players and the front office and local politicians and the WNY culture here.

This thread started out like a fart in church.

... and if you have a hard-on for missing the playoffs year after year, sack up like a man and admit it.

Because it's front office decisions like these that go a long way in explaining why the Bills have been so bad for so long. Some folks have the stones to call it as they see it. :blink:

Personally, it's being their decisions on coaches that for the most part have put them in that position.

You could also put acquiring Bledsoe and McGahee in there as reasons this team lost focus.

Ah, the TD flair. Look like Cirque du Soleil, play like backyard trampoline.

i've got a feeling last year was an off year for many of our D players (line especially) and this year will be a lot different.

kelsey might rack up 6 or 7 sacks and some big plays

Here's a list of defensive line free agents from 2006.Other than the obvious (Freeney,Smith and Kerney)who else were we going to sign?Also Kelsay's contract was a bargin when you look at the years and his signing bonus.Check out this web site and tell me what you think.http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DL&y=2007

Personally, it's being their decisions on coaches that for the most part have put them in that position.

You could also put acquiring Bledsoe and McGahee in there as reasons this team lost focus.

Ah, the TD flair. Look like Cirque du Soleil, play like backyard trampoline.

This team has been losing for many reasons other than TD, even though it would be convenient to blame it all on him.

This thread started about Kelsay, who I seem to like more than almost anybody in this thread. He isn't a superstar, and will never be big or strong enough to dominate a game, but if Stroud is healthy, Kelasy really might do some damage because he can rush the quarterback. If McCargo plays up to his draft status as well, Kelsay, imo, could wind up with 10 or more sacks.

This team needed a lot of help at DT to maximize the performance of the performance of the DEs imo.

What is more alarming is the intolerance on this board as of late. There seems to be a cadre of posters who demand loyalty to the party line, such as:

1) Marv was great. He made no mistakes. It was a coincidence that he couldn't get a job anywhere else.

2) Whitner was quite the steal at #8. We needed him specifically, not a tradedown.

3) Drafting McCorner and Corner was a wonderful move, despite the UFA pickup, and decent existing cbs. Nothing else would have worked. Besides, "you can't have too many corners."

4) Only dummies worry about depth on the OL.

5) My particular favorite.....Jauron is a fine coach. In fact, he ranks up there with Coughlin. :blink:

Many threads are being hijacked by the baton twirlers which is OK I suppose, but this board would lose much of it's flair if we all sat around and agreed with the opinions, let alone the naive wishes of a loud few.

Jmo.

Would you take 116 tackles and 11.5 sacks from a DE for about $7 mil or so? Because that's what Kelsay and Denney combined for in 2006. I think Kelsay is a very solid player who had a bad season because he was pressing too hard. Also, the Denney injury hurt the rotation quite a bit. DEs is a glamour position in football and they will always get paid big bucks. Julius Peppers is one of the highest paid players in football and he had 2 sacks last year. I think Kelsay is gonna have a real solid season this year.

I have 2 simple questions...

1. If You fully know that Chris Kelsay is so terrible, why and how did he manage to rack up 6.5 sacks in 2006? I mean, he's so terrible, how did he perform that well? It couldnt possibly be that he had a down year in 2007 and not having denney in the rotation hurt his production, could it?

2. When you claim that Kelsay is overpaid, how do you explain Antwan Odom, who put up almost identical stats to Kelsay, and was rewarded with an almost identical contract? It couldnt be that Kelsay was given market value, could it?

1. If You fully know that Chris Kelsay is so terrible, why and how did he manage to rack up 6.5 sacks in 2006? I mean, he's so terrible, how did he perform that well? It couldnt possibly be that he had a down year in 2007 and not having denney in the rotation hurt his production, could it?

2. When you claim that Kelsay is overpaid, how do you explain Antwan Odom, who put up almost identical stats to Kelsay, and was rewarded with an almost identical contract? It couldnt be that Kelsay was given market value, could it?

WE NEED A PASSRUSH, AARON AND KELSEY ARE CRAP, HOT POCKET!!!!

i think having wilson, greer, dipizza and ellison behind them, and williams and tripplett between them (and no healthy back ups for much of the season) really helped our ends.

bottom line is it all friggen counts and upgrading our depth and starter at every single level of the D is gonna help everyone.

i expect 40+ sacks and plenty turnovers.

1. Probably, cause most of the attention was on that Aaron schobel guy. I know it's simplistic, but the guy is not an edge rusher. He doesn't force throws. He's a hard working guy, with very little in the way of athletic skill. Doesn't hold up against the run. I wouldn't call 07 a down year. I'd call it what you can expect from Kelsay. Right in line with his 04/05 season. He doesn't force fumbles. He's not a pressure guy. He's not an edge rusher. He routinely gets killed on off end rushes. Despite his 6.5 sacks I wouldn't call that good. The guy has a terrible closing burst. Limited pass rushing moves, and is routinely late, and poor in pursuit.

Ryan Denney is every bit the player chris kelsay is. Maybe even a bit better. Denney is better against the run, is stronger, and has a better first step then Kelsay. At a much cheaper price tag. I'd almost go as far to say. That if the situations were reversed. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with Ryan Denney making "Kelsay money", and Kelsay would be well worth "Ryan Denney" money.

2. Injuries might've played a factor in Odoms case. How do you explain that Justin Tuck, took the same kind of contract as Kelsay, and put up stats that Kelsay can't sniff, unless you were playing Madden, and put him thru training camp drills, and managed to get the 7 pt gold star? Some teams overvalue certain players. It happens.

The guy is average, and doesn't really offer much of anything you'd expect in a starter. God forbid Schobel get's injured, we'd have zero pass rush, unless Chris Ellis is super rookie. Good teams around the league generally have more then one pass rusher. Sadly the Bills who have a chance to be a good team, simply don't have that.

1. Probably, cause most of the attention was on that Aaron schobel guy. I know it's simplistic, but the guy is not an edge rusher. He doesn't force throws. He's a hard working guy, with very little in the way of athletic skill. Doesn't hold up against the run. I wouldn't call 07 a down year. I'd call it what you can expect from Kelsay. Right in line with his 04/05 season. He doesn't force fumbles. He's not a pressure guy. He's not an edge rusher. He routinely gets killed on off end rushes. Despite his 6.5 sacks I wouldn't call that good. The guy has a terrible closing burst. Limited pass rushing moves, and is routinely late, and poor in pursuit.

Ryan Denney is every bit the player chris kelsay is. Maybe even a bit better. Denney is better against the run, is stronger, and has a better first step then Kelsay. At a much cheaper price tag. I'd almost go as far to say. That if the situations were reversed. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with Ryan Denney making "Kelsay money", and Kelsay would be well worth "Ryan Denney" money.

2. Injuries might've played a factor in Odoms case. How do you explain that Justin Tuck, took the same kind of contract as Kelsay, and put up stats that Kelsay can't sniff, unless you were playing Madden, and put him thru training camp drills, and managed to get the 7 pt gold star? Some teams overvalue certain players. It happens.

The guy is average, and doesn't really offer much of anything you'd expect in a starter. God forbid Schobel get's injured, we'd have zero pass rush, unless Chris Ellis is super rookie. Good teams around the league generally have more then one pass rusher. Sadly the Bills who have a chance to be a good team, simply don't have that.

3. Extending Kelsay to that ridiculous contract essentially forced the Bills into a corner because they then had to extend Schobel when he had 3 years left on his deal at a reasonable price.

If you're going to open up the checkbook on a defensive lineman, do it for a disruptive player. Chris Kelsay hardly qualifies.

This team has been losing for many reasons other than TD, even though it would be convenient to blame it all on him.

This thread started about Kelsay, who I seem to like more than almost anybody in this thread. He isn't a superstar, and will never be big or strong enough to dominate a game, but if Stroud is healthy, Kelasy really might do some damage because he can rush the quarterback.If McCargo plays up to his draft status as well, Kelsay, imo, could wind up with 10 or more sacks.

This team needed a lot of help at DT to maximize the performance of the performance of the DEs imo.

You mean like he did when we had Sam and Pat? :flirt: I don't get how someone like you who realizes that football starts on the lines.Be it offensive or defensive, is a fan of Chris Kelsay. It's the equivalent of accepting Melvin Fowler as a good starting center.

3. Extending Kelsay to that ridiculous contract essentially forced the Bills into a corner because they then had to extend Schobel when he had 3 years left on his deal at a reasonable price.

If you're going to open up the checkbook on a defensive lineman, do it for a disruptive player. Chris Kelsay hardly qualifies.

Yes that too. Instead of say dedicating a draft pick or 2 into a player"s", that can be an eventual starter at the position, at a much cheaper price. They simply put themselves in a poor financial investment. Granted not one that should be ignored, because of said spending, but poor nonetheless.