Heard on Sirius radio that JP

On the "2:00 Drill" they reported this. Who knows if it's true, but I just thought I'd pass it along.

I do hope that it's true though. It would only help Edwards' drive and confidence to actually win the starters job after he failed so badly at the end of last season.

How did he fail so badly at the end of the season? Two of those games (Cleveland and the Giants) were blizzard like conditions in which neither QB had any chance to do anything.

Give the kid a break. He showed much, much more than J.P. has ever.

The difference between the two, as far as I'm concerned, is when Trent is in I'm waiting for him to do something good, when J.P. is in I'm waiting for him to do something bad. Nuff said.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any downside in letting JP compete for the starter's job (or at least compete to push Edwards). If JP's as bad as many here say then Edwards should have an easy camp. If Edwards is as good as those same people say, and Losman beats him out, then Losman deserves to start. Let them both compete in Turk's new system and see what happens. How is that a bad thing?

I'm all for competition in training camp and pre-season, because trent did little for me to instill a great confidence in him. But, whoever starts the season needs to start the entire season (barring injury). The QB cant keep looking over his shoulder during the season.

However, if i was a betting man, i'd say the safe money is on another season of musical QBs. Jauron needs to win and win now to save his job, so i dont think he'll hesitate to yank them in and out of the lineup to "provide a spark."

On the "2:00 Drill" they reported this. Who knows if it's true, but I just thought I'd pass it along.

I do hope that it's true though. It would only help Edwards' drive and confidence to actually win the starters job after he failed so badly at the end of last season.

JP is a lousy qb. That will also help Trent's confidence.

I don't see any downside in letting JP compete for the starter's job (or at least compete to push Edwards). If JP's as bad as many here say then Edwards should have an easy camp. If Edwards is as good as those same people say, and Losman beats him out, then Losman deserves to start. Let them both compete in Turk's new system and see what happens. How is that a bad thing?

Because if Losman starts and plays how he has the last 3 years (inconsistent to be nice), then we wasted another year on the JP project. Edwards needs to be the clear cut starter for his sake and his teammates' confidence. Losman has no choice but to give his all this offseason and preseason if he ever wants to get a shot in this league (and a decent contract). Seriously, I can't handle another 1-4 start while JP is "learning" on the job.

DJ while interviewed during the Owners meetings on the NFL Network, clearly stated that Edwards his starter and that there will be no competition for the starting job during training camp.

DJ while interviewed during the Owners meetings on the NFL Network, clearly stated that Edwards his starter and that there will be no competition for the starting job during training camp.

Well then DJ's not on the same page as Brandon who told NFL Radio that Losman will be competing for the starting job.

Well then DJ's not on the same page as Brandon who told NFL Radio that Losman will be competing for the starting job.

Will the competition end with the end of preseason, or will the QBs compete for the starting position EVERY SINGLE !@#$ING WEEK OF THE REGULAR SEASON like they did last year?

'Cause that was really successful... :beer::lol::lol:

Will the competition end with the end of preseason, or will the QBs compete for the starting position EVERY SINGLE !@#$ING WEEK OF THE REGULAR SEASON like they did last year?

'Cause that was really successful... :beer::lol::lol:

It sounds like Edwards is clearly the starter, but if Losman is clearly outperforming Edwards before the start of the season he may actually win the job back. I don't think whoever is the starter gets pulled unless the go on a losing streak against bad competition and the starting QB is at fault. I would certainly hope that they'd do this, wouldn't you? They are just letting Losman know there's at least that chance.

Because if Losman starts and plays how he has the last 3 years (inconsistent to be nice), then we wasted another year on the JP project. Edwards needs to be the clear cut starter for his sake and his teammates' confidence. Losman has no choice but to give his all this offseason and preseason if he ever wants to get a shot in this league (and a decent contract). Seriously, I can't handle another 1-4 start while JP is "learning" on the job.

So, even if Losman outperforms Edwards in camp and the pre-season, Edwards should start? If JP sucks so bad, why should any QB competition matter? Edwards should easily beat him out, and will be going into the season as the undisputed starting QB of the Buffalo Bills. Why are some of you so adament about not having a QB competition between Losman (if he's still on the roster) and Edwards? You think Losman sucks. What's there to worry about?

It sounds like Edwards is clearly the starter, but if Losman is clearly outperforming Edwards before the start of the season he may actually win the job back. I don't think whoever is the starter gets pulled unless the go on a losing streak against bad competition and the starting QB is at fault. I would certainly hope that they'd do this, wouldn't you? They are just letting Losman know there's at least that chance.

Hey Losman's stats aren't far behind Edwards and if he outperforms him...start JP. Its not like Edwards took us deep into the playoffs. I suspect Edwards will come into camp loaded for bear as will JP. JP may very well be auditioning in the preseason for some trade...so he'll be going all out, and Edwards seems to be the kind of guy who will go all out in any event. Should be interesting. Remember we won the AFL title with the famous Kemp/Lamonica controversy raging.

HA! Like he'll win back the job. He's had 3 year to prove himself. Time to move on.

Hey Losman's stats aren't far behind Edwards and if he outperforms him...start JP. Its not like Edwards took us deep into the playoffs. I suspect Edwards will come into camp loaded for bear as will JP. JP may very well be auditioning in the preseason for some trade...so he'll be going all out, and Edwards seems to be the kind of guy who will go all out in any event. Should be interesting. Remember we won the AFL title with the famous Kemp/Lamonica controversy raging.

Thats where my opinon is at. I don't like one overwhelmingly over the other, but I still don't think Edwards has done enough to be thought of as the clear-cut starter no matter what happens.

No, I would hope they DON'T. How many teams have you seen that have an open competition for the starting QB position every preseason, then pull the guy they choose when he has a few bad games? Ever notice how successful teams are built around consistency?

I've said it multiple times already: making a guy worry about his job week in and week out doesn't make him productive, it means he's looking over his shoulder and not downfield. He's playing for his job and not playing to win the game. If Edwards was good enough to beat out Losman last year, name him the starter NOW...no "open competition" bull sh--. Let him know the team's his, for better or worse. He'll perform better in the long run than telling him "You're the guy...for now. We'll see later on."

How did he fail so badly at the end of the season? Two of those games (Cleveland and the Giants) were blizzard like conditions in which neither QB had any chance to do anything.

Give the kid a break. He showed much, much more than J.P. has ever.

The difference between the two, as far as I'm concerned, is when Trent is in I'm waiting for him to do something good, when J.P. is in I'm waiting for him to do something bad. Nuff said.

Much, much more. That is just a stupid thing to say. What season of football did you watch buddy?

Now I think Trent did alot to be excited about, but give me a break, he didn't do "much, much" better than anyone in the league.

The guy seems to be poised and have a good head on his shoulders but he certainly has his downside -- mainly that he throws too many picks -- at bad times -- and he has major durability concerns. These aren't trends from last year either; look at his college stats at Stanford.

It's ignorant comments like the one you made that really fuel these silly arguments on the boards.

May the best captain man the helm!!

I used to think that but now I think that the competition just makes the QB's paranoid and unable to concentrate on being a leader. How many times since Kelly have we had guys fighting for the QB spot and yet it hasn't done squat for any of them.

A real qb is not gonna let competition stop him..It weeds out the wannabes...

I believe that Trent's mature demeanor would allow for him to handle a competition (granted, one tilted in his own favor) from JP for the starting job. So I wish people would stop whining about how a competition somehow compromises his position as a leader for this team. The Brady/Manning argument is just silly. Of course, these guys also have to play at their peak level to fend off competitors for their starting job. It's just that they are so good that no other competitor ever gets close.

JP has skills, but I just don't believe that he is ever going to be consistent enough over the long haul to be a good starting QB in the NFL. Obviously, there isn't a high demand for him around the league, and if he does leave, he won't be finding a starting gig elsewhere either. The sooner he comes to peace with his destiny, the sooner he will realize that there is a place for him with the Bills -- and that he can make plenty of money (some of the top backups are making $3 M per year now), keep his nice house -- and even become a fan favorite. After all, Frank Reich (and to a certain extent AVP) remain beloved figures in Buffalo.

I'm all for competition in training camp and pre-season, because trent did little for me to instill a great confidence in him. But, whoever starts the season needs to start the entire season (barring injury). The QB cant keep looking over his shoulder during the season.

However, if i was a betting man, i'd say the safe money is on another season of musical QBs. Jauron needs to win and win now to save his job, so i dont think he'll hesitate to yank them in and out of the lineup to "provide a spark."

I will add that it is not fair to Trent if he has to constantly look over his shoulder as JP had to. Trent is currently the starter and that is how it should be barring injury.