Heard on Sirius radio that JP

Somehow I don't see Trent Edwards as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If I remember correctly I think Tom Brady started his first superbowl season as a backup to Drew Bledsoe.

We don't really know about Trent yet, that is what I have been saying. He may become a very good QB, he may be good but continue to get injured, or he may be a bust, only time will tell.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't take offense. I am only talking football with the following.....

This is probably a young board, which isn't at all a bad thing. Still, think about it.....many people here just were not around for the days of RJ, so a word about him is in order.

RJ was bigger than JP. While he might not have possessed the cannon for a 25 yard fastball that JP has, he had far better touch and a legit deep arm as well. Not only that, he could run like a deer. He had each and every thing a quarterback needs except a head for the game. He would, despite his athleticism, take sacks.

Now....his OL sucked. The team focused on drafting 1st round defensive backs. They were short on good receivers. and there was not a tight end on the roster that didn't suck. Tell the truth....does this sound at least a little bit familiar?

JP has a ton of talent. Remember when he threw those 2 TDs against Miami seconds apart? That was great, but he too takes too many sacks and, he throws those freaking ground balls. He also over throws all too often.

I guess what I am saying is that talent at the qb position is not to be confused with ability. Who has more talent. JP or Hasselback? OK, who is a better QB? Tell the truth. :wallbash:

In summary, I have been down this road before. It is a road paved with losses, and 1st round defensive backs. I hope that the management of this current team has enough brains to stick with Edwards, and give him the foundation that he needs. I think that the kid is good, and deserves the starting spot. Imo, it beats the schitt out of waiting for Losman to not suck, which talent notwithstanding, might never happen.

Again, jmo.

I've been a fan since the OJ Simpson years, so I don't know what you're talking about as far as the "young board" comment. I've seen plenty of bad players and plenty of good players too. I like to think I can be fair-minded about present and former Bills players.

So let's talk about the RJ years...

RJ had MUCH better offensive players and coaches around him during his years here, than Losman has had. Compare rosters of their best seasons here and it's not even a close argument. Plus Wade wasn't afraid to lose, they threw the ball back then.

RJ was only two inches taller than Losman, yet he was far more fragile. I think Trent is more like RJ in the fragile department. Losman had a 300 pound defensive tackle land on his knee, nothing fragile about that injury last year.

RJ had far better touch than Losman? Both QBs lacked "touch" on short and intermediate passes. I never viewed RJ as "accurate", not sure where you are getting that from. As for both players' passing ability overall, Losman wins that hands down. When you can throw 19 touchdowns with the offensive talent or lack there of on that 2006 team, that should tell you all you need to know. RJ would have landed in the infirmary in the first quarter of the first game with Peters, Gandy, Fowler, Preston and Pennington as his pass blockers. Losman is deadly accurate on his bombs, RJ was supposed to have this talent but it just never materialized. I know that you only want to compare these guys and not take into account the players and coaches surrounding them, but I can't let you get away with that.

RJ's career is in the books. Losman will eventually get another shot to prove the doubters wrong. I see a guy with a ton of ability that is being coached by a bunch of pansy-assed morons who couldn't put a winning gameplan together if their lives depended on it. Is Losman still a work in progress? Yes. Are the Bills pulling the plug too early? Absolutely. That's how I feel and I won't apologize.

I will be rooting for Trent to do great things as long as he remains the starting QB on this team. That's a given. I'm just seeing some warning flags in his game that having a smart brain won't be able to fix. His deep passes look weak, he's injury prone and he checks down way too much. I think that the NFL defenses were catching up to his game and that's why he struggled so badly at the end of last year. He has a great release and is very quick to make a decision, but he will have to overcome his deficiencies in his game that I can see. Yes, Trent took to the pro game much quicker than JP, but that doesn't mean that JP won't end up being the better QB. Some guys just take longer to develop. Let's see what happens.

See Bill, we still can disagree! We'll come together for the draft though, right?

I've been a fan since the OJ Simpson years, so I don't know what you're talking about as far as the "young board" comment. I've seen plenty of bad players and plenty of good players too. I like to think I can be fair-minded about present and former Bills players.

RJ had MUCH better offensive players and coaches around him during his years here, than Losman has had. Compare rosters of their best seasons here and it's not even a close argument. Plus Wade wasn't afraid to lose, they threw the ball back then.

RJ was only two inches taller than Losman, yet he was far more fragile. I think Trent is more like RJ in the fragile department. Losman had a 300 pound defensive tackle land on his knee, nothing fragile about that injury last year.

RJ had far better touch than Losman? Both QBs lacked "touch" on short and intermediate passes. I never viewed RJ as "accurate", not sure where you are getting that from. As for both players' passing ability overall, Losman wins that hands down. When you can throw 19 touchdowns with the offensive talent or lack there of on that 2006 team, that should tell you all you need to know. RJ would have landed in the infirmary in the first quarter of the first game with Peters, Gandy, Fowler, Preston and Pennington as his pass blockers. Losman is deadly accurate on his bombs, RJ was supposed to have this talent but it just never materialized. I know that you only want to compare these guys and not take into account the players and coaches surrounding them, but I can't let you get away with that.

RJ's career is in the books. Losman will eventually get another shot to prove the doubters wrong. I see a guy with a ton of ability that is being coached by a bunch of pansy-assed morons who couldn't put a winning gameplan together if their lives depended on it. Is Losman still a work in progress? Yes. Are the Bills pulling the plug too early? Absolutely. That's how I feel and I won't apologize.

I will be rooting for Trent to do great things as long as he remains the starting QB on this team. That's a given. I'm just seeing some warning flags in his game that having a smart brain won't be able to fix. His deep passes look weak, he's injury prone and he checks down way too much. I think that the NFL defenses were catching up to his game and that's why he struggled so badly at the end of last year. He has a great release and is very quick to make a decision, but he will have to overcome his deficiencies in his game that I can see. Yes, Trent took to the pro game much quicker than JP, but that doesn't mean that JP won't end up being the better QB. Some guys just take longer to develop. Let's see what happens.

See Bill, we still can disagree! We'll come together for the draft though, right?

Good post, you're not the only one that feels that way. Unfortunately JP will be done as a Bill after 08 if not this weekend.

great post :wallbash:

Please don't take offense. I am only talking football with the following.....

This is probably a young board, which isn't at all a bad thing. Still, think about it.....many people here just were not around for the days of RJ, so a word about him is in order.

RJ was bigger than JP. While he might not have possessed the cannon for a 25 yard fastball that JP has, he had far better touch and a legit deep arm as well. Not only that, he could run like a deer. He had each and every thing a quarterback needs except a head for the game. He would, despite his athleticism, take sacks.

Now....his OL sucked. The team focused on drafting 1st round defensive backs. They were short on good receivers. and there was not a tight end on the roster that didn't suck. Tell the truth....does this sound at least a little bit familiar?

JP has a ton of talent. Remember when he threw those 2 TDs against Miami seconds apart? That was great, but he too takes too many sacks and, he throws those freaking ground balls. He also over throws all too often.

I guess what I am saying is that talent at the qb position is not to be confused with ability. Who has more talent. JP or Hasselback? OK, who is a better QB? Tell the truth. :wallbash:

In summary, I have been down this road before. It is a road paved with losses, and 1st round defensive backs. I hope that the management of this current team has enough brains to stick with Edwards, and give him the foundation that he needs. I think that the kid is good, and deserves the starting spot. Imo, it beats the schitt out of waiting for Losman to not suck, which talent notwithstanding, might never happen.

Again, jmo.

Bill, I come to a different conclusion: that neglecting other positions while continually taking the same position high in the draft will lead to a team's demise.

The best football teams in the NFL are well-rounded. For all the emphasis put on the Giants pass rush (which is well deserved), people also neglected to see that they paired this with a pretty damned good group of DBs: Madison, McQuarters, Ross, Knight, Wilson.

The Patriots, for example, had Harrison, Hobbs, Samuel, Gay.

The Steelers have Polamalu, Townshend, Taylor, Clark.

Colts have Sanders, Bethea, Hayden, and Jackson

Chargers had McCree, Jammer, Cromartie, and now Weddle.

etc.

It is less about where you pick the players, as having solid overall drafts that produce multiple players for you, and making sure that your roster is well rounded.

There was an improvement from the beginning of the year to the end. Trent played in more games at the end. The bottom line is Football is a TEAM SPORT more so than most others. A win or loss is on the ENTIRE TEAM not one player. You can say this player had a good game, that player had a bad game, but you can't put a loss on one player. ALL YOU HATERS WILL BLAME THE ENTIRE TEAM NEXT YEAR WHEN TRENT LOSES.

ALL YOU HATERS WILL BLAME THE ENTIRE TEAM NEXT YEAR WHEN TRENT LOSES.

Hater? :wallbash: How can you draw that analogy? I'm posted game situations. I have said that we could blame the coaches, AND the players. I compared the QB's Games WON and games LOST.

I sited nearly equal performances. The key factor we can take from last season was thet a Rookie QB played as well as the 4th season pro.

It's time to move on. The Bills front office made it's choice. Don't you think you support the team?.

Trent is injured a lot? I thought only that wrist injury during the Jet's game. Was there another 1?

I believe the Trent haters are referring to his college career.

Can I point out that JP missed an entire season when he broke his leg. And he was out for 4 games with a sprained knee.

RJ had far better touch than Losman? Both QBs lacked "touch" on short and intermediate passes. I never viewed RJ as "accurate", not sure where you are getting that from.

Well, RJ had a career pct. of 61.3.

As for both players' passing ability overall, Losman wins that hands down. When you can throw 19 touchdowns with the offensive talent or lack there of on that 2006 team, that should tell you all you need to know. RJ would have landed in the infirmary in the first quarter of the first game with Peters, Gandy, Fowler, Preston and Pennington as his pass blockers.

Surely you jest. RJ never played behind a line on the Bills that even approached being as good as the one you mention.

Losman is deadly accurate on his bombs, RJ was supposed to have this talent but it just never materialized.

I am not so sure. He does throw some nice long passes but so did RJ, and his was a much easier ball to catch.

I will be rooting for Trent to do great things as long as he remains the starting QB on this team. That's a given. [b]I'm just seeing some warning flags in his game that having a smart brain won't be able to fix.[/b] His deep passes look weak, he's injury prone and he checks down way too much. I think that the NFL defenses were catching up to his game and that's why he struggled so badly at the end of last year. He has a great release and is very quick to make a decision, but he will have to overcome his deficiencies in his game that I can see. Yes, Trent took to the pro game much quicker than JP, but that doesn't mean that JP won't end up being the better QB. Some guys just take longer to develop. Let's see what happens.

If you see some warning flags for Trent, you must be hearing air raid sirens for Losman. You should be hiding in your basement bomb shelter.

See Bill, we still can disagree! We'll come together for the draft though, right

?

It's all good. :P