Heard on Sirius radio that JP

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trent may be way down that list by week 6. He REALLY has not shown all that much yet. You don't even know if he can stay healthy yet. A QB is not a VIABLE starter if he can't stay on the field, no matter how much ability he may have.

Very true......there is an injury concern, and Edwards lifted weights in the offseason and added 10 lbs lean mass. His delivery is going to come from a slightly different angle now, and that worries me. He'll eventually get there, but look how Tiger Woods went to pot after adding all that upper body mass.

Please don't take offense. I am only talking football with the following.....

This is probably a young board, which isn't at all a bad thing. Still, think about it.....many people here just were not around for the days of RJ, so a word about him is in order.

RJ was bigger than JP. While he might not have possessed the cannon for a 25 yard fastball that JP has, he had far better touch and a legit deep arm as well. Not only that, he could run like a deer. He had each and every thing a quarterback needs except a head for the game. He would, despite his athleticism, take sacks.

Now....his OL sucked. The team focused on drafting 1st round defensive backs. They were short on good receivers. and there was not a tight end on the roster that didn't suck. Tell the truth....does this sound at least a little bit familiar?

JP has a ton of talent. Remember when he threw those 2 TDs against Miami seconds apart? That was great, but he too takes too many sacks and, he throws those freaking ground balls. He also over throws all too often.

I guess what I am saying is that talent at the qb position is not to be confused with ability. Who has more talent. JP or Hasselback? OK, who is a better QB? Tell the truth. :lol:

In summary, I have been down this road before. It is a road paved with losses, and 1st round defensive backs. I hope that the management of this current team has enough brains to stick with Edwards, and give him the foundation that he needs. I think that the kid is good, and deserves the starting spot. Imo, it beats the schitt out of waiting for Losman to not suck, which talent notwithstanding, might never happen.

Again, jmo.

Nice post, Bill.

It got me wondering if anybody has posted anything about the offensive system that the Bills have run under Steve Fairchild the past two years.

The Martz system, which Fairchild tried vainly to install here, is a vertical, speed and timing passing game. It is supposed to be run at a breakneck pace, gashing the defense by ripping the seams, and keeping the opponent off balance and unable to adjust its coverages. It requires multiple receiving threats that can get on and over quickly -- speed and the skills to break down the DB in stride are required. The QB has to throw on rhythm to windows in the defense. Timing is everything in that offense. And to keep the defense honest, you need a RB that can punish the D with the running game as well as be active in the passing game.

While many are busy blasting Losman for every miscue in the passing game (at the least), has anybody stopped to wonder about the possibility that the Bills other personnel, well, were not exactly suited to this? Willis McGahee was not exactly Marshall Faulk out there as a dual threat. And, while I like Lynch, he wasn't either; he might be, but he wasn't as a rookie. The one WR that did OK was Evans, who just happens to have speed. By damn, whodathunkit! The other WRs and TEs are small and average, to be charitable.

Do we even bother to contemplate what total jailbreaks coming through the front "wall" (read: speedbumps) might do to the timing of a play?

Point being those ridiculous overthrows may have been because JP just sucks or they could just as well have been because for that defense, the WR was supposed to run a route and be in a certain spot and he just plain didn't get it done. Or the timings was absolutely fugged from the snap and JP was trying to make a play out of a fluster duck.

Anyway, sorry for interrupting and talking some ball. :wallbash:

In summary, I have been down this road before. It is a road paved with losses, and 1st round defensive backs. I hope that the management of this current team has enough brains to stick with Edwards, and give him the foundation that he needs. I think that the kid is good, and deserves the starting spot. Imo, it beats the schitt out of waiting for Losman to not suck, which talent notwithstanding, might never happen.

Again, jmo.

While I don't fully appreciate or agree with the comparison to RJ, this is one of your better posts. :wallbash:

Please don't take offense. I am only talking football with the following.....

This is probably a young board, which isn't at all a bad thing. Still, think about it.....many people here just were not around for the days of RJ, so a word about him is in order.

RJ was bigger than JP. While he might not have possessed the cannon for a 25 yard fastball that JP has, he had far better touch and a legit deep arm as well. Not only that, he could run like a deer. He had each and every thing a quarterback needs except a head for the game. He would, despite his athleticism, take sacks.

Now....his OL sucked. The team focused on drafting 1st round defensive backs. They were short on good receivers. and there was not a tight end on the roster that didn't suck. Tell the truth....does this sound at least a little bit familiar?

JP has a ton of talent. Remember when he threw those 2 TDs against Miami seconds apart? That was great, but he too takes too many sacks and, he throws those freaking ground balls. He also over throws all too often.

I guess what I am saying is that talent at the qb position is not to be confused with ability. Who has more talent. JP or Hasselback? OK, who is a better QB? Tell the truth. :wallbash:

Again, jmo.

Wow. a good, level headed post about JP. But the blaming of DBs is still over the top.

What else are 1st round DBs at fault for? Did 1st round DBs bomb pearl harbor?

Trent may be way down that list by week 6. He REALLY has not shown all that much yet. You don't even know if he can stay healthy yet. A QB is not a VIABLE starter if he can't stay on the field, no matter how much ability he may have.

this post is why if you are not related to losman you might be insane. have you gone through his garbage?

see, trent is a rook, and one who came cold off the bench.

yes, he has shown just a little, and he has been hurt. these are concerns but he is well ahead of the curve.

JP HASN'T SHOWN ANY MORE AND GETS HURT HIMSELF, AND HE IS A 4 YEAR VET!!

jp got hurt in his rookie year in camp, got hurt his second year, and got hurt last year.

jp is an injury concern, AND he takes a ton of hits and isn't the biggest guy.

he also REALLY has not shown all that much yet, but has taken 4 years to (not) do so.

is trent the guy? maybe. is jp the guy? absolutely not.

this post is why if you are not related to losman you might be insane. have you gone through his garbage?

see, trent is a rook, and one who came cold off the bench.

yes, he has shown just a little, and he has been hurt. these are concerns but he is well ahead of the curve.

JP HASN'T SHOWN ANY MORE AND GETS HURT HIMSELF, AND HE IS A 4 YEAR VET!!

jp got hurt in his rookie year in camp, got hurt his second year, and got hurt last year.

jp is an injury concern, AND he takes a ton of hits and isn't the biggest guy.

he also REALLY has not shown all that much yet, but has taken 4 years to (not) do so.

is trent the guy? maybe. is jp the guy? absolutely not.

It is obvious JP is not in the Bills future plans after 08. My point about Trent is I would like to see the Bills draft one of the many QB prospects. At least 6 QB's in this draft are said to have NFL starter potential, with only one expected to be drafted in the 1st. If Trent plays well and stays healthy in 08 great, the QB draftee could be a good back up in 09. If Trent gets hurt or plays like he did the last three games of 07, the Bills will at least have an option for 09.

i think 2 or maybe 3 guys in the draft would grade higher than trent. i don't think we will spend a day one pick on a qb, so very small chance a better qb will be available when we are ready to draft one.

i think 2 or maybe 3 guys in the draft would grade higher than trent. i don't think we will spend a day one pick on a qb, so very small chance a better qb will be available when we are ready to draft one.

Drafting a QB is a crapshoot. Look at all the former #1 or #2 pick in the entire draft who never pan out, on the other hand, you have Favre, Brady, Marino........Trent was drafted in the 3rd. My point about Trent is we really don't know how good he will be yet, or if he can stay healthy. We do know that by 09 at the latest the Bills will at the very least need a back up, unless they are sold on Hamden. I must admit I know NOTHING about the CHROISE including his contract.

Why would we pick a qb? I think Losman is almost certainly going to stay with us this year, and don't see us drafting anyone who could be a quality backup. Further, I think Losman has his best chance of starting here. New Offensive co-ordinator, TE is very good but not set in stone as the starter. I think we would be better off drafting i areas of need and keeping the players we have. If someone offers a great deal for Losman (I don't think that will happen) then we have to go back to the drawing boards.

Why would we pick a qb? I think Losman is almost certainly going to stay with us this year, and don't see us drafting anyone who could be a quality backup. Further, I think Losman has his best chance of starting here. New Offensive co-ordinator, TE is very good but not set in stone as the starter. I think we would be better off drafting i areas of need and keeping the players we have. If someone offers a great deal for Losman (I don't think that will happen) then we have to go back to the drawing boards.

I hope the Bills keep Losman for 08 unless they are offered at least what they got for McGahee. He has said he will not resign with the Bills however, so unless they think he will change his mind the team will need another QB for 09.