Heard on Sirius radio that JP

This is what worries me. Edwards will most likely struggle. He's a second year QB with less than a full season of starts under his belt. Add in the fact that we're still a young team, and you've got the classic recipe for an up and down performance from the QB. The question will be, does Jauron stand by his man or does he waffle? My guess... he waffles.

The best scenario for the upcoming season would have been for JP to look good last season so that he could be progressing with the rest of the team in 08. That didn't happen. So, now we have a rather glaring question mark sitting right in the middle of our offense that most assume will be great or at the least not be a hindrance. However, the reality is we really just don't know. He's shown flashes of being good. But, so does JP; so do alot of QBs.

When the Bills made the decision to go with Edwards, it was a big one. Essentially you're winding the QB development clock back to zero. Even if Trent becomes a very good QB, it's reasonable to expect that to take another couple of years. It's a very tough position to play and to master. The Bills are young, are still adding talent and have some inexperienced coaches (OC and O-line coach at least). To me this looks like another year of "rebuilding". I don't see the Bills as playoff material yet. JP may be a Bill this year and this might be the best place for him even if he plays very little. The Bills get a backup for the year and JP gets a paycheck and distances himself from what happened last year. If Trent gets hurt or falters, JP may get another shot at playing time - and both scenarios have some probability. As a free agent next year, he can shop himself without any team having to give any compensation for him. That'll open up some doors for him. A lot can happen in a year so who knows what his situation and that of the Bills will be then.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It worries me too. I can see this turning into JP's first season. I think Trent will perform better because he has had some sucess already but this team is very close to the playoffs and probley should have made it last year. If the bills are close and trent is struggling dicky J could "spark" the team with JP at QB. If that happens and JP leads us to a playoff birth (or hamdan :thumbsup: ) Edwards confidence could be shot and we have a major decision to make going into next offseason.

I really hope that doesnt happen. Trent needs to start every game whether or not hes doing well. We can't keep flip flopping

Absolutely! History has clearly shown us that flip flopping Qbs just doesn't work.

I would be really worried if Hamdan ever takes the field. And its largely why I hesitate to even think it. Could you imagine him taking the field, melting the snow beneath his chroisen feet, breaking every conceivable passing and team scoring record ever set by such a margin that they decided to suspend the football season because its so clear that the true pinnacle of the sport had been reached. The game would never be the same. We would forever see a dulled game in the wake of such greatness. Of course, we would have world peace as the the world comes together each Sunday to watch his play. But, that's another story.

When the Bills made the decision to go with Edwards, it was a big one. Essentially you're winding the QB development clock back to zero. Even if Trent becomes a very good QB, it's reasonable to expect that to take another couple of years. It's a very tough position to play and to master. The Bills are young, are still adding talent and have some inexperienced coaches (OC and O-line coach at least). To me this looks like another year of "rebuilding". I don't see the Bills as playoff material yet. JP may be a Bill this year and this might be the best place for him even if he plays very little. The Bills get a backup for the year and JP gets a paycheck and distances himself from what happened last year. If Trent gets hurt or falters, JP may get another shot at playing time - and both scenarios have some probability. As a free agent next year, he can shop himself without any team having to give any compensation for him. That'll open up some doors for him. A lot can happen in a year so who knows what his situation and that of the Bills will be then.

I hate starting over ;)

I want Trent to win 6 super bowls just sooner rather than later and we cant :thumbsup: ing flip flop

I elided the personal attacks. BTW, the personal stuff does nothing to prove your point. That sort of argument is puerile and goes a long way to undermine any credibility.

Back to the point: You are contradicting yourself. You point out that he made 31 starts over the past 3 seasons and call it "nonsense" that Losman won the starting QB job. Was he or was he not the starter? Was there or was there not other QBs on the roster and in camp? Was there or was there not the possibility the Bills could sign other QBs? Are you "serious" with the implication that the Bills organization, especially the new regime and coaching staff, threw away 4 years (or is it 5 now?) to stroke Tom Donahoe's ego despite Losman having zero skills? What proof do you have that anybody at 1 Bills Drive gives a damn what Tom Donahoe thinks? And for that matter, how does a talent starved team (by your own admission in other posts the Bills lines have been neglected for over a decade) even win 10 games with a completely undeserving yet starting despite zero skills QB?

>>>>>I wouldn't say that JPL is no competition. He's been through training camps before and done well enough in practice situations to win the starting job on opening day 3 years running. For those with rock hard boners for Edwards, it is best if Losman goes somewhere else, no?<<<<<

You post stuff like this and you dislike my tone? OK......Sorry about that.

Still, you are wrong. I showed you why. JP was handed the job. Period. You can try to create another set of facts. That is OK because you have to. They used a 1st, 2nd and a 5th to get him and threw him in there. They thought that he was good. 4 years later, he isn't.

Now, did he have a bad OL? Yes he did. Was he given enough help? No, Jauron focused on the secondary in 06 and left him with garbage up front.

Still, think about Losman in year 2 and compare him to Trent in his rookie year. It isn't close.

Hey, the last thing you need is my permission to pretend that JP is a good quarterback or that he wasn't handed the job. Dream on as you will, but neither is true, especially the latter.

It worries me too. I can see this turning into JP's first season. I think Trent will perform better because he has had some sucess already but this team is very close to the playoffs and probley should have made it last year. If the bills are close and trent is struggling dicky J could "spark" the team with JP at QB. If that happens and JP leads us to a playoff birth (or hamdan :thumbsup: ) Edwards confidence could be shot and we have a major decision to make going into next offseason.

I really hope that doesnt happen. Trent needs to start every game whether or not hes doing well. We can't keep flip flopping

Looking for a spark with a QB change? That was Mularkey's M.O., not Jauron's. J.P. took every snap in 2006, and once they decided Edwards was "the guy," they stuck with him through some shaky games at the end of last season. Don't see DJ changing that mindset this year unless Edwards absolutely flops.

JMO, as always.

Ah I can see it now......Trent does well... "he has a better team" than JP did..... I guess you "win" either way....THAT"S !@#$IN SAD! You just can't wait for Trent to fail.....you are a real "fan".

GO BILLS!

I want to see the Bills do well, regardless of who the QB is. I'm not a HATER of Trent as you are of JP, so I hope he does well. It is an INDISPUTABLE FACT regardless who the QB is, or how well they play, The 08 Bills are a MUCH BETTER TEAM than any JP has had around him, not even you can deny this. What is !@#$IN SAD is the HATE a SMALL minority of VOCAL posters have for JP. Unlike you I am a real fan of the Bills. GO BILLS :thumbsup:

Looking for a spark with a QB change? That was Mularkey's M.O., not Jauron's. J.P. took every snap in 2006, and once they decided Edwards was "the guy," they stuck with him through some shaky games at the end of last season. Don't see DJ changing that mindset this year unless Edwards absolutely flops.

JMO, as always.

Ah, but Jauron has had more than his fair share of QB controversies. Look at his track record in Chicago. Other than the one "Coach of the Year" season, where he stuck with Jim Miller, it was nothing but QB controversies.

But that is the key question, isn't it? Has Jauron really changed?

I like Edwards fine, by the way. But, I also understand that his game isn't perfect (he is human) and he has to improve. Trent is still young and still needs time to develop. And, this team is still in rebuilding mode and has issues that go beyond the QB position. The chances of "bumps in the road" are not zero.

What I don't want to see is Jauron acquiescing to the torches and pitchforks after Edwards stumbles for a stretch of games and blowing another QB's development in a desperation move to squeak into the playoffs that falls short. This time the Bills should go all in on their bets at the QB position and let him go through the development process with full support. If Trent is the starter, then the Bills are/should be "his team."

Ah, but Jauron has had more than his fair share of QB controversies. Look at his track record in Chicago. Other than the one "Coach of the Year" season, where he stuck with Jim Miller, it was nothing but QB controversies.

But that is the key question, isn't it? Has Jauron really changed?

I like Edwards fine, by the way. But, I also understand that his game isn't perfect (he is human) and he has to improve. Trent is still young and still needs time to develop. And, this team is still in rebuilding mode and has issues that go beyond the QB position. The chances of "bumps in the road" are not zero.

What I don't want to see is Jauron acquiescing to the torches and pitchforks after Edwards stumbles for a stretch of games and blowing another QB's development in a desperation move to squeak into the playoffs that falls short. This time the Bills should go all in on their bets at the QB position and let him go through the development process with full support. If Trent is the starter, then the Bills are/should be "his team."

Jauron has not changed - but now he has a QB he can ride.

You post stuff like this and you dislike my tone? OK......Sorry about that.

There is a difference between hyperbole and personal attacks. And, yes, I meant that comment as hyperbole and didn't honestly think anybody would assume it was directed at themselves. In short, it was meant to be comical and not slander.

JMO, as always.

True but he did mention going with the hot hand a few times last year if he takes anything close to that mindset this year he should be fired IMO

Now, did he have a bad OL? Yes he did. Was he given eouugh help? No, Jauron focused on the secondary in 06 and left him with garbage up front. Still, think about Losman in year 2 and compare him to Trent in his rookie year. It isn't close.

This kind of logic is what cracks guys like me up. People will readily admit that JP had a bad OL and was given no help at all, and yet you want to take THAT situation and compare it to Trent, who was afforded a stout new line and a running back who knew the difference between 3rd and 4th down when taking the field. The only way you can truly compare JP's first two season's with anything Edwards' has done is to stick Edwards behind that crappy OL with a braindead running back and THEN let me know how good he is.

Yeah, I know. I'm making excuses. I get it. But you can't have it both ways. I expect our OL to be much more effective this year with a full year together under its belt. I expect playcalling to improve significantly, even it if it is as a result of addition by subtraction (Fairchild). In fact, this offense simply has to show up on Sunday and stay healthy to instantly be better than last year's version.

It amazes me that people will B word, moan and whine about all aspects of this team, but when they start bashing on Losman, they forget all the other shiit they were bitching about and believe that Losman was really the reason, regardless of all the other shiitty parts of this team.

This kind of logic is what cracks guys like me up. People will readily admit that JP had a bad OL and was given no help at all, and yet you want to take THAT situation and compare it to Trent, who was afforded a stout new line and a running back who knew the difference between 3rd and 4th down when taking the field. The only way you can truly compare JP's first two season's with anything Edwards' has done is to stick Edwards behind that crappy OL with a braindead running back and THEN let me know how good he is.

Yeah, I know. I'm making excuses. I get it. But you can't have it both ways. I expect our OL to be much more effective this year with a full year together under its belt. I expect playcalling to improve significantly, even it if it is as a result of addition by subtraction (Fairchild). In fact, this offense simply has to show up on Sunday and stay healthy to instantly be better than last year's version.

It amazes me that people will B word, moan and whine about all aspects of this team, but when they start bashing on Losman, they forget all the other shiit they were bitching about and believe that Losman was really the reason, regardless of all the other shiitty parts of this team.

JP had the same opportunity to benefit from the same improved OL and RB. In fact he had first and third crack at it. He didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

GO BILLS!!!

JP had the same opportunity to benefit from the same improved OL and RB. In fact he had first and third crack at it. He didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

GO BILLS!!!

It is true of course that JP had the same players to work with as Edwards last year, but the gameplan that Fairchild (I'm assuming) forced him to work with was essentially tailored for him to fail IMO. We all know Losman's strengths and weaknesses by now, and three step drops/short passes are clearly not one of his strengths. Stretching the field and letting him get out of the pocket to use his athleticism are, and the playcalling, particularly early in the season, just didn't allow him to do that. I do think it's Trent's job to lose, but I also do not believe that Losman was given a very good opportunity to succeed last season at all.

Jauron has not changed - but now he has a QB he can ride.

Both of these statements are terrifying. We have to hope DJ learned from his last HC experience and he makes some changes, and it might be a little soon to label Trent as someone he can ride. Trent has a long way to go yet.

It is true of course that JP had the same players to work with as Edwards last year, but the gameplan that Fairchild (I'm assuming) forced him to work with was essentially tailored for him to fail IMO. We all know Losman's strengths and weaknesses by now, and three step drops/short passes are clearly not one of his strengths. Stretching the field and letting him get out of the pocket to use his athleticism are, and the playcalling, particularly early in the season, just didn't allow him to do that. I do think it's Trent's job to lose, but I also do not believe that Losman was given a very good opportunity to succeed last season at all.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...qualified=false

48 J.P. Losman BUF QB 111 175 63.4 21.9 1,204 6.9 150.5 4 6 59 33.7 85T 12 2 14 76.9

63 Trent Edwards BUF QB 151 269 56.1 26.9 1,630 6.1 163.0 7 8 81 30.1 70T 21 4 12 70.4

I know. Excuses disguised as data.

I've been posting about the defenses we've faced since the Denver game last year. Here's the simplist way of putting it: there was NO field to be stretched last year. In the first two games I counted Evans as having single coverage 5 times. On 3 of those occassions, we attempted to go long to him and simply missed. Since the Houston game in '06 DCs have made it a point NOT to get beat by Evans deep, knowing full well the strength of JP's arm. Do you know what the EASIEST route to take away from an offense is? That's right. Unfortunately, JP's biggest weakness is not being able to go to his second options with any consistency. Evans' inability to beat double teams with regularity was a contributing factor as well so it wasn't all on JP.

I like the idea of a rolling pocket but you simply can't do that more than a few times a game. Yes it takes advantage of JP's athleticism but it SEVERELY limits the space in which an offense can operate. It effectively reduces the field by 2/3. Again, it's too easy, especially for good defenses, to limit rollouts.

This idea of exploiting JP's arm strength anytime we want would suggest that we should just take what we want. Our offense is FAR from being able to do that. When we can take what the defense gives us consistently we will be able to dictate more often. Unfortunately that requires the ability to read defenses both pre and post snap. JP is just not adept at that for whatever reason. That's not putting him down, it's just an honest evaluation of his ability to read a defense.

GO BILLS!!!

I've been posting about the defenses we've faced since the Denver game last year. Here's the simplist way of putting it: there was NO field to be stretched last year. In the first two games I counted Evans as having single coverage 5 times. On 3 of those occassions, we attempted to go long to him and simply missed. Since the Houston game in '06 DCs have made it a point NOT to get beat by Evans deep, knowing full well the strength of JP's arm. Do you know what the EASIEST route to take away from an offense is? That's right. Unfortunately, JP's biggest weakness is not being able to go to his second options with any consistency. Evans' inability to beat double teams with regularity was a contributing factor as well so it wasn't all on JP.

I like the idea of a rolling pocket but you simply can't do that more than a few times a game. Yes it takes advantage of JP's athleticism but it SEVERELY limits the space in which an offense can operate. It effectively reduces the field by 2/3. Again, it's too easy, especially for good defenses, to limit rollouts.

This idea of exploiting JP's arm strength anytime we want would suggest that we should just take what we want. Our offense is FAR from being able to do that. When we can take what the defense gives us consistently we will be able to dictate more often. Unfortunately that requires the ability to read defenses both pre and post snap. JP is just not adept at that for whatever reason. That's not putting him down, it's just an honest evaluation of his ability to read a defense.

GO BILLS!!!

Even if the coverage did not allow deep balls to Evans that much, there was still another big contrast between the gameplan that JP and Edwards were given. PREDICTABILITY. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I could call almost every single play that the Bills were about to run as far as run/pass goes during Losman's first couple of games. Then Edwards comes in and Fairchild decides to start implementing different sets, passing in run situation and vice versa, plays outside of the pocket, etc. The offense Losman was given to perform under was nowhere near the same as the one he ran with success for the most part in 2006. Like I said, Edwards played well enough as a rookie to keep the job coming into camp, but it's going to take a lot more to get me convinced that he is a better option for this team than Losman if theyre both given a chance to play with their strengths.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...qualified=false

48 J.P. Losman BUF QB 111 175 63.4 21.9 1,204 6.9 150.5 4 6 59 33.7 85T 12 2 14 76.9

63 Trent Edwards BUF QB 151 269 56.1 26.9 1,630 6.1 163.0 7 8 81 30.1 70T 21 4 12 70.4

I know. Excuses disguised as data.

Why do you think that JP was benched? Because he is a better qb than Trent?

Why do you think that the Bills are not getting offered 1st round picks, etc. for an experienced qb, in a league with a shortage of quality players at this position? Because he is highly regarded around the league?

News Flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JP hops around in the pocket, overthrows, throws ground balls, whines to the press about coaches, and is requesting to be traded. Oh, and he has lost more than 2/3 of the games he has started. Do you deny any of this? Seriously, let me know. I would love to go over it with you point by point.

As a Bills Fan, you might want to consider getting over this JP obsession. If he had any notable value, he would already be gone. We could sign Rattay, and have a couple of 1st round picks.

JP Losman was another failure by TD. Bledsoe lost to the Steelers, and MM and TD were pissed. They dumped Bledsoe (at a considerable expense in terms of cap dollars) and threw JP in there. He sucked then, and is making, 3 years later, the same mistakes. Oh....but he has a good arm, and likes to clean up.

I hope that you will be able to enjoy the 08 season with Trent in there winning games. I will be loving every second of it.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you think that JP was benched? Because he is a better qb than Trent?

Why do you think that the Bills are not getting offered 1st round picks, etc. for an experienced qb, in a league with a shortage of quality players at this position? Because he is highly regarded around the league?

News Flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JP hops around in the pocket like a fool, overthrows, throws ground balls, whines to the press about coaches, and is requesting to be traded. Oh, and he has lost more than 2/3 of the games he has started. Do you deny any of this? Seriously, let me know. I would love to go over it with you point by point.

As a Bills Fan, you might want to consider getting over this JP obsession. If he had any notable value, he would already be gone. We could sign Rattay, and have a couple of 1st round picks.

JP Losman was another failure by TD. Bledsoe lost to the Steelers, and MM and TD were pissed. They dumped Bledsoe (at a considerable expense in terms of cap dollars) and threw JP in there. He sucked then, and is making, 3 years later, the same mistakes. Oh....but he has a good arm, and likes to clean up.

I hope that you will be able to enjoy the 08 season with Trent in there winning games. I will be loving every second of it.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am by no means obsessed with Losman, but I'm also by no means one of the people who is bowing down to Edwards already with such little evidence that he is superior to Losman IMO. Believe me, I'm not going to say I told you so if Trent sucks, or sulk if he leads us to a bunch of wins, because that's all I care about. I just wonder about the Trent bandwagon being filled to the brim so soon...

GO BILLS!!!

I KNOW you realize the O-line works as a UNIT. It takes time for them to jell. They were better the 2nd half of last year than they were at the start of the season, & they will be better yet in 08. :thumbsup: