Nappy Headed Ho's

Okay, I think this is being blown WAAAAAAAAY out of proportion.

I think you MUST MUST MUST evaluate his comments in the context from which they came. He said the words "Nappy Headed Ho's" to compliment the other comments being made about the questionable apperences of the Rutgers players. The comment, however offensive you find it, was intended to be the punctuation (or the rim-shot (pun intended)) to an ongoing "rap" (as Imus reffered to it). THAT'S IT!

Al Sharpton calls the word "nappy" a "racist phrase." But if that's the case, then the only way it could have seaped its way into a white man's vocabulary it through the over use of the term by non-whites. They numbed it up, whitey adopted it(see the growing prevelance of the n-word for further examples).

Additionally, today the Rutgers coach said the comments were "racist and sexist remarks that are deplorable, despicable and unconscionable." If this clueless yahoo is so thrown off by the comments of an aging shock jock, then what in God's name does he think of the music we can assume most of his players listen to!?

I, for one, am getting tired of the race boundaries around certain terminologies, and since this (unlike the Michael Richards escapade) was said in jest and with a comedic tone, it is counter productive to assume there are places public white people simply can't go. If anything, his comments were made to imitate what an African American man may have said and PROBABLY ALREADY HAS SAID on the radio. I think everyone is being waaay to quick to crucify an old white radio host who has all the parts in place to be hastily labeled "bigot."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I think this is being blown WAAAAAAAAY out of proportion.

I think you MUST MUST MUST evaluate his comments in the context from which they came. He said the words "Nappy Headed Ho's" to compliment the other comments being made about the questionable apperences of the Rutgers players. The comment, however offensive you find it, was intended to be the punctuation (or the rim-shot (pun intended)) to an ongoing "rap" (as Imus reffered to it). THAT'S IT!

Al Sharpton calls the word "nappy" a "racist phrase." But if that's the case, then the only way it could have seaped its way into a white man's vocabulary it through the over use of the term by non-whites. They numbed it up, whitey adopted it(see the growing prevelance of the n-word for further examples).

Additionally, today the Rutgers coach said the comments were "racist and sexist remarks that are deplorable, despicable and unconscionable." If this clueless yahoo is so thrown off by the comments of an aging shock jock, then what in God's name does he think of the music we can assume most of his players listen to!?

I, for one, am getting tired of the race boundaries around certain terminologies, and since this (unlike the Michael Richards escapade) was said in jest and with a comedic tone, it is counter productive to assume there are places public white people simply can't go. If anything, his comments were made to imitate what an African American man may have said and PROBABLY ALREADY HAS SAID on the radio. I think everyone is being waaay to quick to crucify an old white radio host who has all the parts in place to be hastily labeled "bigot."

I think Al and Jesse needed the spotlight again.

Really, the best answer to this would have been to ignore it. I just saw the Rutgers team response to Imus (it was the first time I'd even heard what he said, too), and I really wish they'd had the good sense to just respond "Who's Don Imus?"

Of course, last I checked, nappy-headed hos tend to lack good sense anyway, being as they are nappy-headed hos...

I think Al and Jesse needed the spotlight again.

Really, the best answer to this would have been to ignore it. I just saw the Rutgers team response to Imus (it was the first time I'd even heard what he said, too), and I really wish they'd had the good sense to just respond "Who's Don Imus?"

Of course, last I checked, nappy-headed hos tend to lack good sense anyway, being as they are nappy-headed hos...

Good thing black comediennes and radio hosts dont exploit white sterotypes, specifically the way "we" speak. 0:)

This is insane....you would think Imus shot someone in the face.

Good thing black comediennes and radio hosts dont exploit white sterotypes, specifically the way "we" speak. 0:)

This is insane....you would think Imus shot someone in the face.

Hell, it's a good thing black leaders don't exploit blacks for their own personal gain. Right, Tawana Brawley? :wub:

The problem in this story isn't racism. It's that the black community STILL chooses to be represented by the likes of Al Sharpton.

What Imus said was stupid and unfortunate, but he shouldn't be strung up for it. He appologized for it and he'll be suspended for 2 weeks - why do Al and Jesse insist on his being fired?

I'm also ticked that these two are the ones screaming for blood, as if they come from pure backgrounds. Anyone recall Jesse referring to NYC as "Hymie Town" in 1988? Anyone recall Sharpton defamed Steven Pagones in the whole Tawana Brawley circus, was found guilty in a civil case and to this day has never said he was sorry for the pain he caused with his false accusations? Why do these jokers get to make decisions about who gets to keep their job over some stupid words?

The problem in this story isn't racism. It's that the black community STILL chooses to be represented by the likes of Al Sharpton.

I am not saying that you are wrong Tom, but I am not so sure of the above.

I really don't know anybody who considers Sharpton to be one of their "leaders." Do you?

I think that he is simply built into the system. Guys like Sharpton and perhaps even Bush need people to point at, and ask voters "is this what you want?"

The media gets too much blame for things imo, but what is Sharpton other than a media creation? Jackson is different. I see him as a modern day gangster who is allowed to shake down big business.

It's that the black community STILL chooses to be represented by the likes of Al Sharpton.

Do they?

I never thought he ever gave them the choice. He just shows up whenever there is a chance to make more waves.

Blown way out of proportion. Apparently no one in society can distinguish an attempt at humor by a known shock jock. Now everyone must get "offended" by everything said. ESPN had a lovely little article written by one of their black female writers who basically that his comments offended all black women everywhere. Lets see, in 3rd grade, if someone called you names and ignored them, the situation went away in a hurry. Some people never learned this lesson. In the end, it all boils down to the double standard of racism.

What Imus said was stupid and unfortunate, but he shouldn't be strung up for it. He appologized for it and he'll be suspended for 2 weeks - why do Al and Jesse insist on his being fired?

I'm also ticked that these two are the ones screaming for blood, as if they come from pure backgrounds. Anyone recall Jesse referring to NYC as "Hymie Town" in 1988? Anyone recall Sharpton defamed Steven Pagones in the whole Tawana Brawley circus, was found guilty in a civil case and to this day has never said he was sorry for the pain he caused with his false accusations? Why do these jokers get to make decisions about who gets to keep their job over some stupid words?

I don't believe the final result of this "situation" will be Imus being fired, but who knows (and more importantly, who cares). The reason these two clowns keep getting put in front of the cameras is it's easy to do, I'm sure all the media outlets have their cell phone #'s and vica versa, and the media knows these 2 (especially Al) will say something outrageous and boost their ratings.

Has ANY of this whole affair not been something used to boost ratings of an aging radio shock jock and the self-importance of 2 self appointed "civl rights leaders"?

Hell, it's a good thing black leaders don't exploit blacks for their own personal gain. Right, Tawana Brawley? :D

I don't think it's so much a case of the community choosing to be represented by him, I think it's simply a case of those that he doesn't represent realizing that it's not worth the effort to point out that he doesn't represent them. Heck, even the few that might think he represents them don't seem to solicit his involvement. The guy just shows up without anyone asking him to be there and is a media whore. If someone did step up and say Sharpton doesn't represent them, they will likely either give Sharpton more of the publicity he desperately craves or get ignored by the "main stream media" because they don't want their easy ratings boost taken away. Either way, it seems that it would be an awful lot of effort to make someone that isn't actually important be identified as not being important, and probably has about as much a chance of succeeding as trying to get Paris Hilton to go away.

From Urban Dictionary

. nappy 216 up, 78 down

one of African desent who has tightly coiled unkept hair; one with locks of hair that is tightly curled that is unwashed and uncombed

Sholanda has such nappy hair you can see her buckshots even after she gets a perm.

The Duke lacrosse players are waiting for Al's apology as well.

I'm sorry, am I the only one that believes that the Rutgers players did nothing to deserve this potshot, and that Imus is a goddamned tool for doing this? What had they done to anyone besides having the season of their lives and appearing on national TV? Call it right, wrong, call out rap music, whatever. All I see is a lot of declaration that the man bears no responsibility for what he said on others' part, when the man himself knows he is responsible for what he said. It's capitalism at work: people don't like his product, and thus they are going to disparage said product and its currency should take a hit.

Imus was free to say something stupid and he took that chance. Freedom of speech means he doesn't get arrested for this. It doesn't mean he lives in a zone that is any more consequence free than the one you or I live in. I don't agree with Sharpton and the other profiteers, but that's the way the media landscape works. Just as Imus is/was a fairly powerful guy, he's now contending with other people who are happy to exercise the power they have to bring him down.

The Rutgers team did not have to respond to this at all, Tom's right. At the same time, put yourself in their shoes; put your daughters (if you have them) in their shoes. Few of us would not defend ourselves against such baseless comments.

And VikingGumBoot: you don't know these girls so I doubt you have a leg to stand on with your suppositions on what kind of music these girls listen to. Regardless, there's a real difference between listening to a song that names people in the abstract, and being identified by someone else directly as inferior (not the 'nappy headed' comment so much as the 'hos' one).

Imus deserves to be fired simply for validating Al Sharpton by going on his program.

Imus deserves to be fired for not retorting with "Hypocritical Ass-holes" when Sharpton confrontationally asked him "What do you mean by 'you people'?"

But mostly Imus deserves to be fired for criticizing how anyone else looks, when he's the only rich man on this planet who actually looks like he's partied harder than Keith Fukkin' Richards.

And VikingGumBoot: you don't know these girls so I doubt you have a leg to stand on with your suppositions on what kind of music these girls listen to.

come on. seriously?

Regardless, there's a real difference between listening to a song that names people in the abstract, and being identified by someone else directly as inferior (not the 'nappy headed' comment so much as the 'hos' one).

okay I'll give you that. But this also assumes that these girls who don't seem to have a high regard for beauty (in fact, some female athletes pride themselves on their blatant dismissal of conventional beauty) were in fact offended when he made remarks indicating that they wern't as pretty as the girls from Tennesee.