Nappy Headed Ho's

I'm sorry, am I the only one that believes that the Rutgers players did nothing to deserve this potshot, and that Imus is a goddamned tool for doing this?

Yeah, you're THE ONLY one. The rest of us think the nappy-haired hos deserved it. :D

The Rutgers team did not have to respond to this at all, Tom's right. At the same time, put yourself in their shoes; put your daughters (if you have them) in their shoes. Few of us would not defend ourselves against such baseless comments.

Thus proving you missed my point. Baseless comments are precisely the kind you don't need to defend against. Defending against them validates them. Defending against them with stupid sh-- like "Imus caused us physical injury" (which is a paraphrase of what I heard the Rutgers coach say) not only makes one roll one's eyes at the unabashed hyperbole of it all, but makes one wonder why a retard like Imus has SO MUCH power over the Rutgers' basketball players self-image.

Never mind that the Rutgers' women's team will now be remembered not for their excellent season, but for being victimized by Don Imus. Great defense against baseless comments, that. :D

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus proving you missed my point. Baseless comments are precisely the kind you don't need to defend against. Defending against them validates them. Defending against them with stupid sh-- like "Imus caused us physical injury" (which is a paraphrase of what I heard the Rutgers coach say) not only makes one roll one's eyes at the unabashed hyperbole of it all, but makes one wonder why a retard like Imus has SO MUCH power over the Rutgers' basketball players self-image.

Never mind that the Rutgers' women's team will now be remembered not for their excellent season, but for being victimized by Don Imus. Great defense against baseless comments, that. :D

I only saw select moments of the coach's PC and thus didn't hear anything about 'physical injury.' What I did see was the players talking about their achievements off the court and the depth of character that each of them possesses. I didn't miss your point. The fact is, though, that baseless comments become the media story, and thus it's not just Imus speaking about these people, it's everybody else piling on and labeling them and speaking for and against them. I think the situation merits the players an opportunity to speak for themselves. It's not about self-image so much as national image, and these kids were put in the spotlight and marketed, and then made sport of for no particular reason by a guy who probably couldn't sink a free-throw or make an intelligent comment to save his life. I can't imagine that you wouldn't go on the record about it yourself if you were the subject of such a comment.

What Imus said was stupid and unfortunate, but he shouldn't be strung up for it. He appologized for it and he'll be suspended for 2 weeks - why do Al and Jesse insist on his being fired?

I'm also ticked that these two are the ones screaming for blood, as if they come from pure backgrounds. Anyone recall Jesse referring to NYC as "Hymie Town" in 1988? Anyone recall Sharpton defamed Steven Pagones in the whole Tawana Brawley circus, was found guilty in a civil case and to this day has never said he was sorry for the pain he caused with his false accusations? Why do these jokers get to make decisions about who gets to keep their job over some stupid words?

When we were growing up, it was "sticks and stones" - but you were never allowed to bring in mothers :D

Grow some thicker skin - what a bunch of hypocrites

Imus deserves to be fired simply for validating Al Sharpton by going on his program.

Imus deserves to be fired for not retorting with "Hypocritical Ass-holes" when Sharpton confrontationally asked him "What do you mean by 'you people'?"

But mostly Imus deserves to be fired for criticizing how anyone else looks, when he's the only rich man on this planet who actually looks like he's partied harder than Keith Fukkin' Richards.

Every time I think someone is not paying attention -= AD is there - we must party again ! :D

Asked this elsewhere, but what is it that Imus said that's any worse than what hundreds of hip-hop artists haven't already said or worse?

I alluded to this in the post that started this thread but according to RunTheDamnBall, the comparison is baseless in that we dont' know for sure that hip-hop is what the Rutgers team most predominantly listens to...?

Asked this elsewhere, but what is it that Imus said that's any worse than what hundreds of hip-hop artists haven't already said or worse?

Yeah, I know. I just heard Ludacris' new single "Nappy Headed Rutgers Ballers" on the radio this morning. It is gonna be a #1!

Yeah, I know. I just heard Ludacris' new single "Nappy Headed Rutgers Ballers" on the radio this morning. It is gonna be a #1!

Don't forget Ice Cube's "Givin Up the Nappy Dugout" (91-92).

Until a few days ago I though nappy was a general term used to describe something unkempt, and was not person specific, regardless of race. Guess I need to pay better attention to the urban dictionary.

I alluded to this in the post that started this thread but according to RunTheDamnBall, the comparison is baseless in that we dont' know for sure that hip-hop is what the Rutgers team most predominantly listens to...?

The comparison is baseless because these people were being directly labelled by someone who doesn't know them from Adam. And what's the hip-hop comparison other than another "well, 'you people' do this?"

And is it exactly some sort of badge of honor for Imus to be compared to hip-hop artists that he and most of the self-proclaimed moral majority would be disparaging anyway?

Imus to be compared to hip-hop artists that he and most of the self-proclaimed moral majority

I think comparing Imus to the self-proclaimed moral majority is baseless because he's being directly labelled by someone who doesn't know him from Adam.

And is it exactly some sort of badge of honor for Imus to be compared to hip-hop artists that he and most of the self-proclaimed moral majority would be disparaging anyway?

Not exactly a badge of honor, but trying to frame a context for his comments.

As for lumping Imus with moral majority & his likely views of hip hop, how would you square your stereotype of him and plugging 50-cent's album a few years back and having Suge Knight call in a bunch of times for a serious interview?

Don Imus, Larry Birkhead, and Sanjay are Karl Rove's answers to his prayers.

Good thing Joey isnt obsessed or anything.

How the !@#$ do Rove and Imus connect with one another??!!!??

Actually...I give him credit. At least he didnt actually pin Anna Nicole's death and Sanjaya's ascention on Rove, as some some of diabolical conspiracy to get him off the front pages.