Turner is going to Buffalo Wed. He took a physical for

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you got any film clips of him picking up blitzes, blocking or running patterns.

I think he is Kenny Davis- a good backup who could run straight ahead, but severely deficient in the performing the little things needed to be a feature back.

Running straight ahead? Did you watch the clip? Also, what exactly is wrong with a north/south runner? You prefer a guy who will dance in the backfield?

Whys that?

Every Chargers fans oponion I've seen on Turner is good, as they think he is the real deal.

I wouldn't mind swapping 1st round picks for him.

cause no RB has been traded for a 1st rd pick in years + SD will lose him next year for nothing, and they will be stuck with a 2.5 million backup this year if they don't move him.

regardless of what Turner may turn out to be worth, he hasn't had any 1000 yd seasons, he hasn't started an entire season, and he get 75% of his stats during garbage time or when the D is already back on his heels.

yes Turner would be great in buffalo but why the hell poop out draft picks when nobody has to. SD will take less then a 1st rd pick and less then a 1st rd swap.

To me it's cost for value.

Turner will cost draft picks and mega-bucks.

He can run, but after 4 years in the league, I don't think he can do anything but run the football. Blitz recogintion, blocking, football smarts all need to be confirmed.

If he was a feature back, SD would have found a way to get him on the field with LT to maximize him a s a resource, especially since SD's WRs were so bad.

obie_wan, with all due respect, why do you doubt that he can do all the "little things" to be a featured back? Do you have any evidence to support these concerns? I don't but maybe you do, or better yet, maybe Marv does and that's why he invited Turner to Buffalo for a visit. I also don't understand that part about SD should put him on the field with LT. If they did there would be no Lorenzo Neal, his lead blocker, who paved the way for him. I don't think Neal is credited enough for his play, where ever this guy has gone the running game was strong.

true ap may be gone at #12.if turner goes to the titans it may change marv's draft strategy.marv may have to decide if ap is worth moving up for,or should he stand pat at #12 and settle for marshawn lynch.i prefer to get ap,but i bet ml can have a good career too.

We have needs for 3 starting position, MLB, RB and CB. We can go any of those positions in the 1st round as there is quality at that position in the top 12. Also, those same positions are deep in this draft and we can get good starting players in Rd 2 and 3....The bills should sit at #12 and pick the best of the 3 available Peterson/Lynch, Willis or Leon Hall. They should then package their two 3rd rounders and move into the 2nd and address the other 2 positions depending on who they picked in their 1st round. They will get 3 quality players with those 3 picks.

I'm stunned at how many people say they're skeptical of Turner because he's unproven, and then turn around and say they prefer to get their RB from the freaking draft.

What the hell is the difference between an unproven NFL back and an unproven college back in the NFL? Plenty. And none of it supports the theory that a college back is better.

I have no problem with people being skeptical of Turner as a starter, but to say this because he's "unproven" essentially admits that you don't want anything other than a vet. So take your pick: Dillon or Brown. Oh, wait. Dillon is old and Brown isn't...ummm...proven.

We may as well wait until a proven back is available to us. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Agree 100%!!!!!

PS Common sense has never been a requirement for posting on message boards.

All of this RB talk reminds me just a bit of the 1997 draft.

We took Antwain Smith in the 1st round. He was the 2nd running back drafted. Tike Barber and even Corey Dillon slipped into the 2nd round.

Much comes down to whether or not Levy and Co. feel that any RB is worthy of using a #12 on, even if it involves a swap of 1sts for Turner.

Also, there might be another player out there at another position who they feel is spectacular, and they want to use the #12 on him.

Personally, I think Turner looks good, but I would be against giving up the #12 to get him.

Jmo.

Agree 100%!!!!!

PS Common sense has never been a requirement for posting on message boards.

I think the anti-Turner people have a problem with two things, basically:

1) The amount and/or high round of draft picks that will most likely be needed to give up to get him (i.e. a 1st round, or a combo of a 1st and later pick, or just more than one pick, in general). Why give up a 1st or more than one pick when a RB can be taken with only one pick or without sacrificing a 1st?

2) The amount of money that he will have to be paid through a new contact extension: this line of reasoning goes, "Why pay 30 million for Turner when you could draft a rookie for relative chump change and develop him? Both are relative unknown quantities (one with limited NFL experience and the other with none) so why take on an undue financial risk?

/devil's advocate

I can see the logic in both of these objections. I count myself as neither a pro nor anti Turner person. If Marv and Co. through their evaluations think he is the real deal and is the guy that will fit what we want to do on offense, then I would support a trade and extension for Turner, as I don't see Marv and Co. giving up the farm in terms of draft picks for any one player, knowing how much Marv values building through the draft. I will not, however, lose any sleep whatsoever if we pass on Turner and the Titans, for example, mortgage the farm to get him and we instead draft a rookie RB somewhere in the draft. If you think about it, with the idea that Marv values draft picks and is not going to throw a bunch of them to a team to trade for any one player, then we have the situation pretty much under control, as our hand is not forced to move any one way and we can spend our picks and our money where we deem fit.

you got any film clips of him picking up blitzes, blocking or running patterns.

I think he is Kenny Davis- a good backup who could run straight ahead, but severely deficient in the performing the little things needed to be a feature back.

Actually the knock on Turner coming out of college was that he wasn't great at running between the tackles. He liked to take everything outside. He has since become much better at running between the tackles and still has the ability to take it outside. The straight ahead criticism doesn't really work either.

If you keep throwing mud though, maybe something will stick.

1) The amount and/or high round of draft picks that will most likely be needed to give up to get him (i.e. a 1st round, or a combo of a 1st and later pick, or just more than one pick, in general). Why give up a 1st or more than one pick when a RB can be taken with only one pick or without sacrificing a 1st?

2) The amount of money that he will have to be paid through a new contact extension: this line of reasoning goes, "Why pay 30 million for Turner when you could draft a rookie for relative chump change and develop him? Both are relative unknown quantities (one with limited NFL experience and the other with none) so why take on an undue financial risk?

Bingo & Bingo.

IMO, signing Turner would be a very TD-like move. Flashy, very expensive and ultimately, a very high risk/reward in terms of committing a significant share of the budget to a high turnover position. Guess right, and you're OK. Guess wrong, and you're screwed for 2-3 years. Not unlike the WM and Bledsoe moves, unfortunately.

Turner MAY be a very good starting RB, if given the opportunity. But I'd rather not give up the multiple picks and significant cap space he'd require when the team has so many holes to fill. I'd be happy with a RB-by-Committee approach this year if it allowed Marv to solidify the Defense for years to come through the draft. You can't plug every hole in one year...

/devil's advocate

I can see the logic in both of these objections. I count myself as neither a pro nor anti Turner person. If Marv and Co. through their evaluations think he is the real deal and is the guy that will fit what we want to do on offense, then I would support a trade and extension for Turner, as I don't see Marv and Co. giving up the farm in terms of draft picks for any one player, knowing how much Marv values building through the draft. I will not, however, lose any sleep whatsoever if we pass on Turner and the Titans, for example, mortgage the farm to get him and we instead draft a rookie RB somewhere in the draft. If you think about it, with the idea that Marv values draft picks and is not going to throw a bunch of them to a team to trade for any one player, then we have the situation pretty much under control, as our hand is not forced to move any one way and we can spend our picks and our money where we deem fit.

Great points and well stated. I'm done worrying about this guy and the RB position. Marv is not an idiot and we'll be better than what people think. I'm not into extortion and if Marv sees the value in Turner than hopefully AJ and Marv can work out a fair deal.

Bingo & Bingo.

IMO, signing Turner would be a very TD-like move. Flashy, very expensive and ultimately, a very high risk/reward in terms of committing a significant share of the budget to a high turnover position. Guess right, and you're OK. Guess wrong, and you're screwed for 2-3 years. Not unlike the WM and Bledsoe moves, unfortunately.

Turner MAY be a very good starting RB, if given the opportunity. But I'd rather not give up the multiple picks and significant cap space he'd require when the team has so many holes to fill. I'd be happy with a RB-by-Committee approach this year if it allowed Marv to solidify the Defense for years to come through the draft. You can't plug every hole in one year...

But right now, the Bills need a TD like "Flashy" move to bring the average fan back.

Look at it from the perspective of an average fan, the majority of Bills fans who buy tickets/merchandise and just watch games, they don't sit around studying college games and analize certain players in their free time like the "arm chair" GM's of this board. They look at the offseason and see the Bills getting rid of name players that sold jerseys, and replace them with nothing. They aren't going to be excited seeing rookies replacing them and its not going to get them running out to buy their jerseys and tickets to games. But getting a highly regarded RB in a trade with SD may bring some back.

Posters here are making it out to sound like Picks are sure things that can all step in and make an impact immediatly. AP or Lynch, or Willis have less experience at the NFL level then Turner, but have just as much upside (seeing as how Turner has impressed being the backup behind probably the best RB in the league, and hasn't been able to show what he can do given the chance) Swapping of 1sts sounds like a great deal, Buffalo still gets the same amount of picks, and walks away with one less need and just as many draft picks. The Bills aren't going to rape the Chargers and get this guy for a song and dance. Marv got 3 picks for Willis and everyone agreed he was not good, now that they are trying to get a good RB with potential, they want to give up less to get him.

People need to join the real world

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SEE THE REALITY IN TURNER. HE'S A BACK UP AND UNPROVEN STARTER! You'd rather take a guy that has never been a starter over a guy in the draft who has experience has a starter.

Really? What NFL team has AP been a proven starter with?

Heres the difference, AP has no NFL experience, and everyone is big on his college production

Turner has NFL experience, and in that experience, he has looked like he could produce.

Just because you were a star in College, it doesn't mean you will produce in the NFL

Its not like people are talking about trading for the Browns backup running back here, Turner is a good RB who has been unable to beat out the Best RB in the League

How many people were saying the Bills last season should have made a deal with Atlanta to get Schaub if JP didn't pan out?

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SEE THE REALITY IN TURNER. HE'S A BACK UP AND UNPROVEN STARTER! You'd rather take a guy that has never been a starter over a guy in the draft who has experience has a starter.

What in God's name are you babbling about now?

a guy in the draft who has experience has a starter
:wallbash: :wallbash:

All of the backs we are discussing started in college, INCLUDING Turner. None of the backs have played a down in the NFL let alone "has experience has a starter" [sic]

Dude, it's time to take the meds.

Dumbest post I have ever read.

What guy in the draft has starter experience in the NFL?

Turner was a starter and one of the best in college football.

To me Turner edges them out because he has played in the NFl.

He has shown production when he has come in. NOT AGAINST BACKUP PLAYERS EITHER.

Three, he has played behind the best back in the NFL and still produced over 500 yards rushing and some scores.

But right now, the Bills need a TD like "Flashy" move to bring the average fan back.

Do they? One more good draft and the promise of more progress from JP and LE would put a lot of fannies in the seats, IMO.